Do we have any Astrophysicists in here?

I can't believe the awesome announcement from Monday!  Evidence of inflation in the early universe, basically cinching the Bing Bang Theory!

It's fracking amazing!  I'm not a physicist, but I Can't help but be awed by the discoveries that are being made. 

Now, I know what your saying...replication!  Yes, yes I'll wait to replication of the experiment before accepting the results, but I'm way to excited to keep this quiet in general!

Here's a write-up that's good for a layman (like myself)

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2014/mar/17/bicep2-finds-first-direct-evidence-of-cosmic-inflation

• Like 2

Crazyjerseygirl, Level 1 Beast Adventurer
STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1

I can't believe the awesome announcement from Monday!  Evidence of inflation in the early universe, basically cinching the Bing Bang Theory!

It's fracking amazing!  I'm not a physicist, but I Can't help but be awed by the discoveries that are being made. 

Now, I know what your saying...replication!  Yes, yes I'll wait to replication of the experiment before accepting the results, but I'm way to excited to keep this quiet in general!

Here's a write-up that's good for a layman (like myself)

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2014/mar/17/bicep2-finds-first-direct-evidence-of-cosmic-inflation

Not an astrophysicist, hell... I apparently can't even spell the word.

I do enjoy things like this though... every since I started school for engineering, I've been more fascinated with how things work, everything from space, to how a spring is made...

Yes.. I watched a video on how a spring is made, the entire thing... and it was awesome.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

THERE ARE VIDEOS ON HOW SPRINGS ARE MADE!??!?!?

But yes, I get your POV.  It is so exxciting to figure out how something is made, though I personally love the part when you figure out what it does!

Glad to see that there are some good old fashioned nerds in here!

Crazyjerseygirl, Level 1 Beast Adventurer
STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1

THERE ARE VIDEOS ON HOW SPRINGS ARE MADE!??!?!?

But yes, I get your POV.  It is so exxciting to figure out how something is made, though I personally love the part when you figure out what it does!

Glad to see that there are some good old fashioned nerds in here!

Tell me this isn't cool as hell...

and old fashioned would be the perfect description of me...

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

The visuals are interesting, but they totally need a new V/O person

Mike Rowe.... he makes anything interesting.

and I haven't watched any marathons of How it's made... lately. But I do catch quite a few vids on youtube of stuff like that. Just watched a series on putting an F1 car together...

My first challenge

Well I assume all you nerds are watching Dr. Tyson's Cosmos right?

Right?!?

Not yet.... just started school back up, I have watched practically every youtube vid he has...

I LOVE his fascinatingly disturbing thought...

Related to the OP, here's the physicist that developed the theory receiving news that there is evidence to support it. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/professor-learns-of-big-bang-theory-s-new-evidence--celebrates-with-champagne-140544322.html?vp=1

My first challenge

While not an astrophysicist by degree profession, my undergrad capstone was in cosmology and tensor analysis, basically the mathematics of the evolution of the universe. Very exciting stuff indeed!

• Like 1

Level 3 Bearded Assassin

Str: 10     Dex: 9     Sta: 6     Con: 7     Wis: 4     Cha: 3

Current Challenge: Respawn    Past Challenges: 1 2 3

Daily Battle Log   Album

"I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again."

SWEET! i just started school again and am working towards an AS in natural sciences with a focus towards engineering i ultimately want to end up in the UH school of engineering majoring in mechanical engineering. loving the science classes so far even though the only one i've taken is microbiology, and really enjoying math, but i have to reach a certain level of math that is still about a year and a half out before i can start taking any of the mechanics and physics classes.  so far i'm really enjoying learning the ideas and concepts behind math, why and how math works, and my teachers have been doing a kick ass job teaching them to me in ways i can understand easily, and i want to take this as far as i can. told my folks i want to find out how the universe works.

not an astrophysicist, but i too have a new found love of science, and NDT is one of my science inspirations, along with bill nye. i have a playlist of bill nye the science guy episodes saved on youtube that i watch with my kids. this is my kind of post. i knew i was in good company here!

it's cool to make the acquaintance of all you like minded people

the coolest thing to happen this semester is that i had the opportunity to tour the university of hawaii school of engineering. the labs are amazing! i got to see where the mechanical engineering students are building scale model plane and a car to compete in the college formula sae competition against other schools (look up formula sae on youtube, i think it's hella awesome)! toured the corrosion lab and learned about UH's extensive work studying the corrosion of different substances, played card games with the statistics majors in the game theory lab (i still think those guys are cheaters or mind readers), and i got to toy around with robots the size of human cells, that they hope to be able to use to arrange cells to build organs in lab for people who need transplants.  mind blown!

and i'll leave you with this, the two things that math has taught me is that

1. any monkey can crunch numbers, what sets you apart is understanding what you are doing what you are trying to do, and why, what those numbers represent. understanding the ideas behind what makes the math work, and that is still blowing my mind on a weekly basis.

2. math never really gets any harder, they just add more steps to the process, but at the end of the day you're still just adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. think about it

the coolest thing to happen this semester is that i had the opportunity to tour the university of hawaii school of engineering.

My wifes cousin and her husband both go there.  I see some of the stuff they post about getting to do on FB and I am quietly green with envy!

I've really come to adore science.  I wish I had discovered this love earlier in life!

• Like 1

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

What was the topic? Cosmology was one of my favourite subjects, it was just kind of cool to model the whole Universe in a few equations. :) Fun stuff indeed!

It was mainly about how tensors work, and thus make the science work, with a bit of the application of the expansion of the universe covered at the end. Yes very fun! Many different areas of math combining to model how it all works!

Level 3 Bearded Assassin

Str: 10     Dex: 9     Sta: 6     Con: 7     Wis: 4     Cha: 3

Current Challenge: Respawn    Past Challenges: 1 2 3

Daily Battle Log   Album

"I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again."

Well, I have two degrees (BS & MS) in Physics with a minor in Astronomy. But unfortunately I don't think I qualify as an official Astrophysicist. I am an engineer by trade.

Well I assume all you nerds are watching Dr. Tyson's Cosmos right?

Right?!?

I watched the first one, and have the others on my DVR. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, but will watch them eventually.