How do you make chicken not horrible?

It's not advertising if it's asked for! Post away!

Sounds good!

So, I buy my main spices from http://www.thespicehouse.com

Illinois locals and some of the Wisconsin folk are probably familiar with the place..all I can say is amazing quality!

Honestly this is what my spice cabinet is like: cupboard with 4 shelves FULL, counter top below said cupboard FULL, and a shelf in my closet HALF-FULL.  I love spices..lol

Probably one of my favorites from there to play around with tho, Tomato Powder.  I use it as a direct replacement for tomato paste (powder has more flavor without all the nasty additives/sodium) in sauces/soups, and I'll occasionally sprinkle it on my salads (along with fresh tomatoes) for an extra kick!

But since this is a chicken thread: adobo seasoning, chili powder, chile con carne, curry, roasted garlic powder, and any of their bbq spice rubs are always winners for kicking up the flavor!  I list the adobo first because I have a genuine weakness for the stuff, it goes in everything.

If I ever post up a recipe with a spice that you are unfamiliar with, 10 out of 10 times you will find it at The Spice House.

Did anyone post how to roast whole chickens? That's my favorite chicken, for sure.  Tasty, primal, and you can shred any leftover meat on the carcass and mix it with sliced veggies for an easy lunch.

I can get them at the grocery store for about $1/lb.  Preheat the oven to 450F.  Take them out of the packaging, and remove the giblets etc.  You can eat these but I usually give everything but the livers and heart to the dog.  Wash the bird and then pat it dry completely (COMPLETELY!  Any moisture will turn to steam which will make your chicken not as delicious) using paper towels.  

Truss it like this:

Poulet_Trussing_Animated-GIF.gif

Then sprinkle kosher salt all over it (about two tablespoons).  Pepper too if you like (about one tablespoon).  Wait til the oven reaches 450.  Put the bird on a roasting pan and cook it in the oven, about 50-60 min depending on the size of the bird.  Use a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh to measure temp when you think it's done.  Take it out and let it rest for 15 min when it's done.  If you aren't being paleo, or if you want a treat, make gravy out of the drippings (There are recipes out there.  I'd just use the juice as a gravy by itself.... maybe remove some of the fat... use arrowroot powder to thicken?).  Once the bird has rested (this gets the juice back into the meat) you can carve it.  

You can cook two at a time if your oven and/or pan are big enough.  Or, put it in the oven, go for a run, and then take it out when you get back.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

Brand new episode where Dom hits an absolute home run on the topic at hand: How to eat chicken without wanting to kill yourself.

Have you ever eaten tuna? Now you dont feel so bad eating chicken... LOL

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

I recently made a huge crockpot of chicken chili. Here's a copy pasta of my notes from that day...

[ ] 2 chicken breasts

[ ] 8 Chicken thighs

[ ] 1.5 cup walnuts

[ ] 0.75 cup shredded coconut

[ ] 2 Tbsp coconut flour

[ ] 0.5 cup dried Onion

[ ] 1 bottle ale

[ ] 3 shots bourbon

[ ] 29 Oz diced tomatoes

[ ] 2 Tbsp tomato paste

[ ] 5 Tbsp chili power

[ ] 3 Chipotle peppers

[ ] 1 Tbsp Chipotle pepper adobe sauce

[ ] 1.5 Tbsp paprika

[ ] 1 Tbsp cumin

[ ] 0.5 tsp cinnamon

[ ] 2 Tbsp diced garlic

[ ] 1.5 Tbsp lite-salt

[ ] 0.5 tsp black pepper

[ ] 1 Tbsp thyme

[ ] 1 Tbsp oregano

[ ] 3 branches fresh basil

All stuff I had already. Used a food processor to chop the nuts and blend half the liquids with the peppers and spices. Dumped it all in the crackpot and lowed it for about 10hour until the chicken shreds. Removed chicken to shred and mixed it back in. Was pretty damn good. Ate all 6qts of it.

There are so many ways to skin this cat, here's yet one more:

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/07/10/easy-pan-fried-lemon-chicken/

This is by far the easiest way to get moist chicken quick. I hear quick is important some days... It's so versatile, can be paired with just about any side, IMO. Good luck!

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

I finally learned how to cook chicken breast. Put them in a ziploc bag when you get them. Leave what your gonna use in the fridge, freeze the rest. Make sure you leave the stuff your gonna use in the fridge long enough for it to thaw.

Take it out when ready. Using a tenderizer pound it to like half an inch thick. Throw it on the grill 8-10 minutes per side. High heat. And done. I usually put foil with oil on top on the grill. I don't like cleaning the grill.

You can also cut the breast in half so it opens up to thin it out.

You have to eat it right after its done cooking.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

A fiend of mine turned me on to a great easy way to make perfect chicken breasts. I got to Costco and get the 6 packs of organic chicken breasts and toss them in a gallon size zip-lock with a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and a  container of fresh basil.  I shake it vigorously and then let it sit in the fridge and marinate for a couple hours to a day. Take a cookie sheet and cover it with aluminium foil, preheat your oven to 350, space the 6 breasts out on the cookie sheet so they aren't touching and then toss it in for 25 mins.

Boom head shot.

CJ

• Like 1

The best luck I've had with chicken breast is baking it in an aluminum foil pouch. Depending on the size, I'll usually cook chicken at 350* F. oven for about 40-45 minutes. To keep things nice and moist, I place a thin pad of butter both under each breast and on top after I've seasoned the chicken. It's the most stress-free dinner one could hope for and the chicken always comes out plump and juicy. 

As much as I love my grill, my chicken almost always gets baked.

"Stay strong until you win against yourself. At the end of the day, you will always be the winner." - Rika Usami

Deadlift Goal: 300 lb (136.078 kg)

71.7%
71.7%

Bodyweight: [start: 185 lb] [Current: 161 lb] [Goal: 135 lb]

44%
44%

After recommendations from this topic, I decided to get some chicken thighs and boil them for a few hours. So tender and so not labor-intensive. Especially if you have a crock pot or something, just toss a bunch in there on Sunday and let it go. chicken all week.

I also tried my hand at making pork ramen broth the other day, which involves quite a bit of boiling. The recipe I had said 12 hours, but I stopped it after 6. That was the most tender thing I've ever eaten. I think boiling is going to be a new thing for me. Impossible to burn, easy to do. The main downside is that it just takes forever.

After recommendations from this topic, I decided to get some chicken thighs and boil them for a few hours. So tender and so not labor-intensive. Especially if you have a crock pot or something, just toss a bunch in there on Sunday and let it go. chicken all week.

I also tried my hand at making pork ramen broth the other day, which involves quite a bit of boiling. The recipe I had said 12 hours, but I stopped it after 6. That was the most tender thing I've ever eaten. I think boiling is going to be a new thing for me. Impossible to burn, easy to do. The main downside is that it just takes forever.

You will find quickly that some of the best things you ever make take time..and are soooooooooooooo worth it.

I have one recipe that takes me 2 days and 18hours of prep & cooking time combined..and it is honestly one of the best meals I've ever created (also took me 3 years to completely conceptualize and write it..lol).

It's on my to do list this winter..maybe next month?

Maybe I missed it, but why hasn't anyone put up a recipe for Beer Can BBQ Chicken? (Or Ginger Ale/insertappropriatepop Chicken)! 

Here's a cut and paste from the first recipe I could find off of Google

Beer Can Chicken
Total Time:
1 hr 35 min
Prep:
10 min
Inactive:
10 min
Cook:
1 hr 15 min
Yield:4 servings
Level:Easy
Next Recipe
Ingredients
1 (4-pound) whole chicken
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons of your favorite dry spice rub
1 can beer
Directions
Remove neck and giblets from chicken and discard. Rinse chicken inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Rub chicken lightly with oil then rub inside and out with salt, pepper and dry rub. Set aside.

Open beer can and take several gulps (make them big gulps so that the can is half full). Place beer can on a solid surface. Grabbing a chicken leg in each hand, plunk the bird cavity over the beer can. Transfer the bird-on-a-can to your grill and place in the center of the grate, balancing the bird on its 2 legs and the can like a tripod.

Cook the chicken over medium-high, indirect heat (i.e. no coals or burners on directly under the bird), with the grill cover on, for approximately 1 1/4 hours or until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F in the breast area and 180 degrees F in the thigh, or until the thigh juice runs clear when stabbed with a sharp knife. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.

Recipe courtesy Bob Blumer

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/beer-can-chicken-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Also! 
I love chicken breasts. I buy the big packs of frozen boobs and then take one out as needed. 

Usually what I do is put the frozen breast on my ceramic roasting pan (it's shallow).... then I drizzle olive oil or peanut oil over it, and sprinkle the seasoning of the day on. (i.e., jamaican jerk, or bbq, or lemon pepper, or oregano/rosemary/marjoram, and of course garlic and pepper... I usually don't add too much salt since the frozen ones are usually salted. I just put whatever seasoning I am into for the day.) I often chop up onions or peppers or whatever I want to eat and add it to the pan, so that it's not covering the breast. 

Then I bake it at 350 for however long it is until it's done. I do cut it open at the thickest part to check how it is doing, because I am impatient. The key as someone has already mentioned, is cooking the chicken breast until it is just done. Don't overcook it! Overcooking guarantees dry chicken breast. 

Chopping up thawed chicken breast, sauteing it with cabbage, onion, peppers, carrots, and then throwing in sweet thai chili sauce and maybe a little hot sauce is excellent. What I do too because I am not interested in making more dishes than necessary is put quinoa in with the vegetables (I think I throw in the chicken after the veggies have cooked for a while).... and I add a little water in with the dish, and kind of add as necessary so that the quinoa cooks along with the stir-fry. Buttttttt, that's just me. The aforementioned thai chicken/cabbage stirfry is excellent over quinoa properly cooked in it's own dish. :)

Chicken thighs/drumsticks/legs:

Pain in the butt to have to fry it, because of the bone. I am far too impatient to debone it, so what I do is throw the selected meat into a roasting pan (with a lid)... and again.... olive oil, chopped up onions, garlic salt and pepper, and then whichever seasoning I like that will go with the vegetables I am having. I think I put a tiny bit of water in it. Pop the lid on, throw it into the oven at 350 until it is done, like falling off the bone or nice and tender. I check it periodically so that it is not getting too dry - if there is no water in the bottom, put a bit in. Don't drown it. 

Coincidentally, you should be able to make a gravy out of the drippings, if you so choose. 

In all of this, I say, look up recipes online. Check out the reviews of that recipe .... they are helpful! .... 

And try Beer Can Chicken. Simply AMAZING. 

Also, try stuffed cornish game hens with rice and sausage stuffing. Delish.

• Like 1

LyricalSharon

~Hobbit with the heart of an Amazon~

LVL 4 STR 7 DEX 1.5 STA 8.75 CON 5 WIS 3.5 CHA 3

I'm getting this road on the show... 

This is so much cooler than [insert diet program]

Battle Log Current Challenge

Here's my way to cook the JUICIEST chicken breasts ever!

coat the chicken in extra virgin olive oil to keep the juices in and the spices cooking.

Wrap the chicken in foil for better cookage and doubling sealing in the juices. 

I use uncle chris steak seasoning. That stuff can go on anything. I even use it on fish (it even gets rid of the fishy smell when you cook.)

heat the oven at 400F and bake for 20-30 minutes.

Chicken and Asparagus

This dish is easy, delicious, and can be made several different ways!

The simplest way would be:

Chicken Breast/thigh

Asparagus

Your choice of Oil

Salt & Pepper

Aluminium Foil

Baking pan

Preheat oven to 450

Wash and pat your asparagus dry

Arrange asparagus on tin foil 

Brush the chicken with oil

Season your chicken with salt and pepper to your liking

Place chicken on top of foil

Fold foil into a pouch over the chicken making sure to fold in such a way that it is sealed--this helps keep the chicken moist

Cook 18-20 mins or until chicken is juuusssttt past the pink stage.

That's it!

You can also try this with a mustard marinade or toss the chicken in a mustard to coat. You could also add different herb/spice combos. Plain chicken breast on top of asparagus with fried egg and avacado might be good. Hmmm. 

Based off of this recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/salmon-and-asparagus-in-foil-113817

Nothing is older than yesterday  | Inspired to be better by my baby girl  |  DPS in game and IRL  

Main Goal: 205lbs to 170lbs Current: 180lbs

Daily Battle Log

I recommend this recipe for the easiest shredded chicken breast: 

Put chicken in a crockpot and cover with liquid (water, broth or beer are what I usually use).  Add whatever spices you like (taco seasoning, jerk spices, really whatever).  Cook all day.  Take the chicken breast out and put it in a big mixing bowl, then get your mixer out.  Use the mixer on the chicken and it will magically turn into shredded chicken.  Eat in tacos, on salad, whatever. 

If you hate cleaning your crockpot, I recommend the West End 5 Qt Oblong-shaped Slow Cooker seen on this page: http://gearpatrol.com/2013/01/29/roundup-best-slow-cookers/ It's way easier to clean because the dirty part isn't attached to the heating element. 

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

Slow cooker is good, of course, but don't fear the stovetop. Skinless boneless chicken breasts are really quite easy to cook in a skillet. You just have to make sure they're the same thickness all the way across. Stick it in a plastic bag and pound the fat part of it with a mallet until it's an even thickness. Put a little bit of olive oil (or butter, or whatever fat you like best) in the skillet. Slide the chicken our of the bag into the skillet. Sprinkle with garlic salt or whatever you like. Cover it with a lid (preferably glass) and then turn the burner on medium. When the chicken turns white on top, flip it over and cook for a couple more minutes without the lid so it'll get that nice browned surface. That's all it takes. I used to stock up when they'd go on sale and cook a dozen or so, then slice them up to put on salads or in stir fries.

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous

I shred all my meats in a pressure cooker now. I dump all herbs, spices, and seasonings with the liquid and frozen chicken into the cooker and I close it and leave the burner on high. When I hear the steam start to seep from the main pressure regulator valve, I turn the heat down to just above low and set the timer for 30minutes. After that period of time, I run cold water over the pot in the sink until the lock releases, and I have shred-ready meat. I use whatever utensil that happens to be in my hand to shred the meat. It's much more time efficient than a slow cooker.

You can fry it using coconut oil to reduce bad fits and reduce cals.

Butterfly the chicken so it cooks quick.

Bake it in tin foil and put some lemon inside to keep it moist

Don't know if they se them where you live but in the UK, they all chicken in a bag. They provide a bag and seasoning. Just throw chickrn in witj veg stated and put in oven... Easy and very moist (and healthy)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I love blackening boneless skinless breasts.   Pound them out thin and coat them in chili powder, cayenne and paprika, and sear them on a hot ass cast iron skillet.  When I make it for the kiddo its mostly paprika and salt and pepper.  I put a bit more heat on mine.  Searing the outside keeps it juicy and chicken in much easier to blacken than fish.

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

Blacken in one piece anyway!

I find that if I blacken a nice piece of salmon... like $14/# never frozen it's not too bad.  Its the cheap crap I'm usually using that falls apart.  But when I get really good fish then I want to be a bit less heavy handed with it.  I am skeptical that "blackened" tilapia, catfish or other flakey whitefish I get out is really blackened on cast iron... more like broiled with blackening spice.   But I digress. 

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!