Corting Wendler

At Wufkar's request, I am starting a new Battle Log.  My first battle log began with a 5x5 lifting routine, but many months ago I switched over to Wendler's 5/3/1 program and I was informed I needed a new log with a new title. So, done.

I was out of town when the next 6-week challenge began, but this is ok since I am doing 4 week cycles of 5/3/1, so I'll stick to 4-week challenges for now.

Last cycle I met all my lifts, but they left me feeling beat up and bruised all over.  This last week has been a deload and my legs, elbows, and shoulders are feeling much better, but still not quite 100%.  

I am currently 5 weeks away from my biannual physical fitness test, so instead of increasing my weights this cycle, I'm going to maintain my #s from last cycle and focus on adding more situps and pushups, since that is 66% of my assessment. The remainder is cardio, so I am digging the dreaded C-word out of storage and am planning to implement at least 2 days of cardio per week, whether it be running, biking, or swimming.  We'll see how that goes.  If I had my choice, I would always swim - but (1) we have an outdoor pool and it's still a bit brisk outside, and (2) being a shift worker, I can't always make it to the pool for lap swim times.  C'est la vie.  And did I mention I go back to night shifts on Monday?  So there's that...

SO - 4 week PT goals:

1) Maintain last cycle gains

2) 100 situps in 2 minutes

3) 50 pushups in 2 minutes

4) 1.5 mile run in 15 minutes or less

"Other" goals:

A) Finish my cutting board/chalk board craft.

B) Start my basil garden.

C) Complete my London photo-mounting project.

Human Warrior

Non nobis, Domine. Sed nomine tuo da gloriam.

Warrior: Battle Log | Old Battle Log | #1, #2, #3, #4

First Warrior/Ranger Battle Log

March 29 

PT: Week 1 cycle begins on Monday

Other:

A) I hand sanded my cutting board today and I think it's ready for it's first coat of paint.  While I have the paint, I don't have the paintbrush I need or painters tape and since our depot is closed on Mondays, I guess that will have to wait until later this week.

B) I filled my planter with new potting soil, planted my seeds, and fed and watered my precious today.  Now we wait...

Human Warrior

March 31

First swim of the season!  

Went to the pool with a goal of doing at least 10 laps.  The first lap felt really good considering I haven't done lap swim in about 9 months.  By #4 I was feeling the burn in my shoulders, where it stayed for the remaining 6.  (I like to think they were screaming for more cowbell.)  First 10 laps were done with one brief pause to fix my goggles in about 10-12 minutes.  (Didn't time it exactly since I didn't have my watch today).  The remaining 5 laps I did slowly with a few minutes break in between to let my shoulders rest and to catch my breath.  Good first swim and 1 of 2 cardio sessions done for the week!

Every-time-I-swim.jpg

• Like 1

Human Warrior

2 ways: 

1) HIIT (high intensity interval training) aka jog/sprint intervals either outside or on the treadmill if I'm at work; I've been using my phone (Map My Run) to track 0.3 mile increments and speed while I run outside and I use the light poles around the perimeter of the base to gauge my "sprints" (which is really just a faster jog, but I'm currently lacking in a good term for those).  But it's still sort of a guessing game when I'm outside.  It's easier to track on a treadmill.  So, example, I might start at a 5mph jog and then do intervals where I run 8mph for a time or distance, then go back to 5mph.  Then next time start at a 5.5mph pace and do intervals of 8.5mph, etc etc.  Kinda like the couch to 5K setup but it's all running and no walking intervals.

2) Add more focused/timed 1.5 mile runs to my weekly exercise with the #1 goal of doing each run at least 1 second faster than the last run.

I used HIIT several years ago when I was running almost every day and I was able to increase my distance from 1.5 to 5 miles and decreased my mile time from 10min/mile to about 8:45/mile on an awesome day.  I think my best 5 mile time ever was somewhere around 46 minutes, but that was a long time ago.  I've never been a fast runner.  My max distance is 8 miles and I have no recollection of how long it took me.  I just remember thinking "why am I doing this to myself?"  I don't really enjoy it as an exercise, so I have no plans of working on distance again.  Once upon a time I entered a bunch of 5Ks just for fun, but I think that stage of my life has passed.  At least for now.  I'm content with sticking to 1.5 and just working on speed.

I don't know if you use Map My Run - but you can adjust the distance in settings and the application will inform you when you hit those increments how far you've gone total and what your average pace is.  I might adjust my settings from 0.3 miles to 0.1 miles and use tenth of a mile increments instead of using the light poles for better consistency.

Human Warrior

April 3

Went to bed at 0730 this morning after being up for 22 hours. Slept til 2pm. Work again tonight.

Deadlifts

105x5

105x5

125x3

145x5

160x5

180x5

Took the dog around the block.

Alternating situps and pushups

Situps 30, 30, 30, 30 (120 total, 20 more than last time)

Pushups 15, 15, 15, 15 (60 total, 12 more than last time)

Pullups were not happening for me today

Unassisted: 1, 1

1BA: 3, 3, 3

Human Warrior

Forgot to add this last night, intervals on the treadmill during some downtime at work:

2 minute walk

1 min. @ 10km/hr

1 min. walk

1 min. @ 10km/hr

1 min. walk

1 min. @ 11km/hr

1 min. walk

1 min. @ 11km/hr

1 min. walk

1 min. @ 12km/hr

1 min. walk

1 min. @ 12km/hr

1 min. walk

1 min. @ 13km/hr

1 min. walk

1 min. @ 13km/hr

1 min. walk

1 min. @ 14km/hr

1 min. walk

1 min. @ 14km/hr

3 minute walk

Total 3.27km in 25 minutes (just over 2 miles).  And for my own notes (I'm not used to European treadmills) the paces were

- 10km/hr = 6.2mph

- 11km/hr = 6.8mph

- 12km/hr = 7.4mph

- 13km/hr = 8mph

- 14km/hr = 8.6mph

Human Warrior

Fully international. You're using kms. 

Yeah, we have a mix of US and EU equipment and the one treadmill at the hospital just happens to be in km, but it's not labeled anywhere on the machine.  The first time I used it I thought it was broken.  But then when I punched in my weight (in lbs of course and not kg) and all of a sudden I was burning MAD calories, I solved the puzzle.  It was calculating calories burned for someone weighing about 320lbs.

• Like 1

Human Warrior

End of the week results:

1) Met all my lifts to maintain last cycle #s

2) Ran twice, swam once = 3 cardio sessions for the week

3) Planted my basil, but then the temp dropped again - so I might have to replant

4) Finished my chalk board project

5) Started my photo mounting project, but the color of wood stain I bought isn't quite the color I was going for, so I'm going to keep experimenting until I get what I want. After that it's a matter of deciding what hardware to use for the display. I know what I'd prefer, but I had trouble finding it at the Italian version of home depot the other day, so it's back to the creative thinking boards.

6) Last paper for this class is in progress, then all that's left is to sit for the final.

That'll do donkey

This week will undoubtedly be exhausting and busy.  I'm filling in for my two bosses who are out of the country, so I'll work tomorrow night, stay late, go to a meeting from 10-11, then go home, take a nap and come back for another night shift.  With any luck I'll be able to take a nap somewhere in there.  Thursday I have to be at work during the day for a training exercise, a meeting, and to teach ACLS. Then I have to be back for Fri-Sun nights.

On the flip side, I've been tapped by higher leadership to apply for a position opening up in the hospital, but it would take me out of the ED and away from the bedside. I'm told it's a good opportunity to further develop my career, but honestly, I'm a little terrified. The ED is my home. I am very comfortable and happy there. I sort of hate to leave, but it's hard to turn down an opportunity that could blossom into additional opportunities in the future. 

Oh decisions...

Human Warrior

April 7

Squats

75x5

90x5

110x3

130x3

145x3

162.5x2 Yikes!

135x3

Situps: 40, 40, 40, 40 (160 total)

Pushups: 16, 16, 16, 16 (64 total)

Pullups: 2, 1, 1, 1, 1

I think this is the first time I've ever failed to hit my 5/3/1 goal reps.  145 felt heavier than usual today but I thought it was just in my head. But The first rep on 162.5 was definitely ugly and the 2nd was even worse. Rather than attempt a third with horrible form I decided it was probably best to throw in the towel today. Did 135 for 3 at the end to make up for my missed rep.

Went swimming later on the afternoon:

First 10 laps in 13 minutes. 16 laps total in 24 minutes. Got one more lap than last time right as it was starting to rain. Now, I know what you're thinking, who cares if it's raining when you're in the pool?  Well all my stuff was sitting in my bag on a chair in the open to include my change of clothes and phone. Good timing. Back to work tonight!

Human Warrior

April 10

Went to bed at 0200.  Got up at 0800.  Participated in base-wide emergency response exercise.  Taught ACLS.  Came home at 1630.  Slept til 2000.

Finally felt awake enough to work out around 2300.  Back on nights for the rest of the weekend (Fri-Sun)

Pullups: 2

Situps: 50, 50, 50

Pushups: 15, 20, 30

Deadlifts

105x5

105x5

125x3

150x3

170x3

200x3 (was supposed to be 187.5 but I was feeling rebellious)

and a final set of 135x5 (for fun)

Pullups: 2 (failed on 3), 1 (failed on 2)

1BA: 4 and then 2 with neutral grip

Human Warrior

bleh for short sleep

Yay for DL rebellion!

Yeah! I was feeling all proud of myself until I realized my husband overhead pressed 195 tonight.  Talk about diminishing my sense of accomplishment.  Granted he's twice my size, but still... deadlifting 200 was no joke for me, and he can almost do that on OHP?  Insane...

3 more weeks of night shift then I come back to the land of the living.  Perhaps permanently.  I put my name in the hat for the Patient Safety Manager position opening up in July.  If I get it, it would mean starting the turnover process in June.  Which means the month of May could be my last month in the ER.  Surreal.

Human Warrior

April 11

Bench

50x5

65x5

75x3

85x3

100x3

110x3 (failed on 4)

100x3

85x11

Failed on the same stupid rep as last cycle. The husband says I didn't rest long enough before the last set. 

Went to the pool today:

Did 21 laps (I think, it's easy to lose count) in ~35 minutes.  Did a lot of stretching and worked on some new exercises today, mostly focusing on breathing and sprints at the suggestion of a coworker who is a "real" swimmer.  While I usually take a breath every 3rd stroke during freestyle, today I worked on taking fewer breaths to improve speed.  So I did a few laps taking only a breath every 5 strokes, and then every 7 strokes.  If I can improve my stamina for the every 7th stroke method, I can cross the pool in 3 breaths.  However, right now I can only do it for 50m before I'm completely winded.

I timed my average lap speed (50m) to be about 70 seconds.

I timed the every-7th-breath lap speed to be about 50 seconds.

The Navy swim test is 450m.  So theoretically, my average pace would put me around 10:30 while the new improved pace would be 7:30.  That's a huge difference.  

Will keep working on it.  I'd be happy with improving my 450m time by about a minute.  Not that I plan on taking the swim test anytime soon, but it would be nice to know I could if I wanted to.  I could pass it right now, but it would be a pretty low score.

Human Warrior

I am uber jealous of your swimming capabilities.

Re: bench, rest matters! 3 minutes rest between sets if the previous one was hard, 90 seconds if it was easy.

I know, I'm impatient.  Plus I was sort of in a rush to get done because I wanted to swim and needed to run some errands before going to work.

Human Warrior