• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

mullet_massacre

Rebels in Maritime Canada?

I feel like a panel would benefit from a range of experiences Peter, not every person new to fitness is starting from the same point or even has the same goals.  I believe Jessica wanted to be able to be quite inclusive.  This is a quote from the facebook exchange I had with her shortly after Halcon last year "I was thinking about talking about body composition as part of cosplay. Ask people of all different body types to talk about how their fitness goals play into their cosplay plans, people who give no fucks, and possibly inciting armour/larp people to talk about the level of fitness required just to wear that stuff all con!"

• Like 2

Pro tips from Nax:

"I wanted to cosplay Loki, and I wanted to lose some fat since Loki is pretty thin. So back in August I stopped drinking beer and switched to Whisky and lost 10 lbs within a month and a half!"

"Wearing 2+ layers of leather at Animaritime during a heat wave will make you drop 5 lbs in a single weekend :D Also, remember not to hydrate, because then you'll need to piss, which is awkward as hell to do if you're wearing 2+ layers of leather."

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with going ultra low carb for a while to achieve a certain look for your cosplay. How long is a while? I have no idea, but you should probably stop before the lack of carbs causes permanent metabolic damage."

"If anyone wants that extra dehydrated look for extra last-minute ab definition, just hit the sauna at the Delta Halifax for about 20 minutes before the con."

"Arrive a day early to memorize the locations of various Tim Horton's and Starbucks around the convention centre. You will need them, because there will be no time for sleep. Remember all the things you need to fix on your costume until 5 AM the night before the con?"

"It is entirely possible to survive on RedBull and energy bars. It's only for three days. Don't be a wimp."

I'm sure I'll have more after Animaritime. It's on Canada Day weekend, and the first day of the con is July first. The convention centre is conveniently located about one block away from the nearest beer tent. You know, something to do between panels.

Crap. I was going to write more, but I have to go. BBL.

• Like 2

I WILL TOTALLY GO TO A FITNESS PANEL AT HALCON! EVEN IF IT'S AT 8 AM (assuming I am not finishing my costume at 8 AM the day of the con). Or 6pm on the second day... <G>

I'm into fitness, and the thought of being on the panel is interesting, but I don't know how much I could actually contribute to a panel since I have two gym memberships and one of them is a bit on the pricey side, and I fear that the "OMFG THIS PANEL IS ONLY FOR PRIVILEGED WHITE PEOPLE" type of shit would arise as soon as I opened my mouth. My attempts at NF challenges have all resulted in epic failures also lol.  I'm not hugely keen, but I would consider sitting in on such a panel. I'm NOT buff with rock hard abs like Naxius, just a guy who lost some weight and feels better about himself, and sometimes that's enough.

Maybe I can just take my shirt off and flex? You go kiddo!!!

Come on now. I was ready by 4 PM haha!

Your before/after pics would generate a lot of amazement at a fitness panel, I am 100% sure. Your sense of humor would be perfect for a panel also B)

I feel like a panel would benefit from a range of experiences Peter, not every person new to fitness is starting from the same point or even has the same goals.  I believe Jessica wanted to be able to be quite inclusive.  This is a quote from the facebook exchange I had with her shortly after Halcon last year "I was thinking about talking about body composition as part of cosplay. Ask people of all different body types to talk about how their fitness goals play into their cosplay plans, people who give no fucks, and possibly inciting armour/larp people to talk about the level of fitness required just to wear that stuff all con!"

A range of experiences would definitely be great, especially if there is a cosplay component.

Does she have plans to ask...I don't want to name people specifically but, you know the guy from Moncton who cosplays Wolverine, looks exactly like Wolverine, and is buff as hell? He's a good speaker also.

• Like 1

Rhymes with BaySP? I'm pretty sure the two are already facebook buds :)  I checked in a few days ago, Jess wanted to let the holidays go by before pestering people... SO NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT!  I'll keep checking in once in a while to make sure she knows there's interest.

• Like 1

Do you mind telling her that Naxius is potentially interested and would like to have more information?

Just typing "Naxius" on Facebook should pull up my profile--I've got a black hoodie on and am trying to look like a Sith Lord in my profile picture. Chances are I already have a few mutual friends from the convention/cosplay community also. If there are two Naxiuses, let me know and I will challenge the other one to Mortal Kombat.

And yes, I am pretty sure we are thinking about the same Wolverine XD

• Like 1

Haha! Looks like there aren't many of us! I'm in Halifax, you?

Born and raised in Cape Breton but currently Halifax here but I do a lot of contract jobs so have lived in most of the provinces.

Hence the Adventurer class.

• Like 2

Rhymes with BaySP? I'm pretty sure the two are already facebook buds :)  I checked in a few days ago, Jess wanted to let the holidays go by before pestering people... SO NO TIME LIKE THE PRESENT!  I'll keep checking in once in a while to make sure she knows there's interest.

Hey, I'd be down with sitting in on a Panel.

For those interested, there is still a short time to partake in Game of Tickets for HalCon. The weekend passes are running out mad fast!

Also, is anyone else going to Animaritime in Fredericton? It's on Canada Day weekend, and there will probably be a beer area one block away from the con on Friday and it's going to be glorious lol

Why am I only slightly surprised to find that Hal-Con and Animaritime have come up in conversation here? (Hey, Nax! It's been a while.)

I've lived in Halifax for almost a decade now, but I've spent my entire life here in the Maritimes. I'm a Caper, but I've also spent some time - a few months here and there - in Antigonish and Truro. I do also visit NB quite often, because I've got family and friends over there; I actually almost ended up moving to Fredericton for school, but those plans ended up falling through and I ended up going to school here instead.

I really do need to connect with more fitness nerds, because I think they'd be a good influence.

• Like 2