I don't think I'm running correctly

Bryn

Heyo,

I just started up exercising and dieting again and something I've begun to do is running. I've never been much of a runner so I know that there are several things I'm getting wrong but one thing I know for sure is that I'm stepping wrong somehow. 

The calf muscle in my right leg gets really sore while I feel nothing in the calf muscle of my left leg. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it? I think I'm using my right leg more than my left leg. When I go running it frustrates me so much that I stop and take a break just because I'm angry at myself. Help me please :(

and by running i mean jogging

Edit: Thanks for the replies everyone! I tried different shoes and it seemed to solve my problem so it's all good now :)

Hey! I'm new to running (ie jogging) so can't give you much advice, but...

My nearest running shop has a treadmill set up with a slow motion camera to film your feet whilst you run. I thought it was a great tool, although it can only show you what you're doing, not point out what you're doing wrong, and the staff might not be experienced enough to give you proper advice.

Worth a thought though... It might be obvious to you when you see the footage. :)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hey! I'm new to running (ie jogging) so can't give you much advice, but...

My nearest running shop has a treadmill set up with a slow motion camera to film your feet whilst you run. I thought it was a great tool, although it can only show you what you're doing, not point out what you're doing wrong, and the staff might not be experienced enough to give you proper advice.

Worth a thought though... It might be obvious to you when you see the footage. :)

That! Well, mostly :)

Go to a locally owned running store and the staff will most definitely be able to help you over say a chain store. Mine has a similar set up, it's to help determine what type of footwear you need. No two shoes are the same. Because of how I run, I need motion control running shoes for asphalt and cement... but I'm fine on the treadmill with regular shoes. The staff *is* experienced and very helpful in good stores, they should be runners themselves!

Also don't be afraid to join the local running and jogging group, they can give tons of advice. Mine's affiliated with my local running shoe store, so it was easy to get connected. Don't be daunted by all the uber runners, many were where you are right now. 

Meg -- Primal since late June 2013, never going back! 

26%
26%

weight loss progress

Look at yourself in a mirror. Stand naturally and ask yourself these questions: is your spine straight? Are your shoulders level with each other? Do you hold your chin high or low? Your problem most probably stems from improper balance. Even a slight imbalance can have a profound effect on the body, especially after/during vigorous activities and especially in the long run (no pun intended). Most people don't realize just how hunched over they really are. Then, when they're coached on proper posture, it actually feels funny to them, like it's unnatural. Something as simple as pulling your shoulders back while you walk (or run) or sitting up straight can make a difference in the effectiveness of your workout. Some people have developed spinal imbalances after years of improper posture and not even know it. Maybe you could talk to a chiropractor, maybe ask for tips on proper posture. It's better to get hands-on advice with things like this. If not then there are many online resources. And try using orthotics or good/different running shoes while you run, but keep the receipt. Hope this helps.

Fitness is both a physical and mental challenge.

Using Tapatalk

A friend of mine (who has coached everything from gymnastics to boxing to running) has a tendency to twist his right ankle to the outside when he runs, so that his toes point about 45 degrees out to the right.  He knows he does this.  He has done all kinds of training and drills and practice to stop doing it, but he only knows he still does it because he has people watch his running form, or film it so he can see.

It's easy to have an imbalanced stride that you don't know about.  It might be very subtle, and it might be very obvious, but you probably won't be able to troubleshoot it on your own.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

A friend of mine (who has coached everything from gymnastics to boxing to running) has a tendency to twist his right ankle to the outside when he runs, so that his toes point about 45 degrees out to the right.  He knows he does this.  He has done all kinds of training and drills and practice to stop doing it, but he only knows he still does it because he has people watch his running form, or film it so he can see.

It's easy to have an imbalanced stride that you don't know about.  It might be very subtle, and it might be very obvious, but you probably won't be able to troubleshoot it on your own.

I broke my left pinky toe really bad a while back and I think I kinda learned not to walk as much with that foot so that might be it? I just don't know how to fix it <_>