Squat and Deadlift Form Check #1

Hey All,

I've started the Strong Lifts program, and I am on work day two.  Since these are two very important movements I wanted to get some feed back into my form before I get into the heavier weights.  I feel pretty good about the squats, though I think I may need to increase my flexibility in my hips so I can get deeper into the squat.  This is really my first ever attempt at a deadlift, so I'm sure I've done a million things wrong.

Squats

Deadlifts

Thanks!

"For me life is continuously being hungry.  The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer."  Arnold Schwarzenegger

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Squats

1) Get the bar back onto your shoulders and off your neck

2) It looks like your feet need to be a bit further apart.  The narrow stance is causing you to lean forward, which means the bar is not over the midfoot which is going to cause other issues

Deadlift

1) Get the bar closer to your legs/body

2) Good job keeping your shoulders back and chest up.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Thanks for the information.  I found some information about getting the bar into the right spot(I honestly thought I had it far back enough) on the Strong Lifts site, http://stronglifts.com/squat-bar-position/.  Is there anything else I might do to help me get it into the correct position other than what is suggested here?

"For me life is continuously being hungry.  The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer."  Arnold Schwarzenegger

For basic high bar, it is usually just a matter of getting comfortable with the bar back farther. Most people need to work on shoulder flexibility to do low bar. My bar position keeps getting lower and lower. Work on bringing your hands in toward each other. You may also want to try not wrapping your thumbs around the bar as well. Staci has an article on the front page of nf about squatting as well

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Hop on the YouTubes and check out "So You Think You Can Squat?" and "So You Think You Can Deadlift?"

They are both put out by Matt Wenning at EliteFTS an are solid gold. Even if you don't think your bench is bad, check out their "So You Think You Can Bench?" series, too.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

DL looks good, put some weight on the bar though. That was too easy, come back when you're deadlifting at least 135. That's when form will start to degrade.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

I want to thank everyone for the advice, suggestions, and expertise they have shared.  Today, I know that I did things a lot better with my form.  Thanks to those videos from elitefts.com I actually understood how to get the bar off of my  back and probably got a lot closer to a proper bench press than I actually was.  Instead of the 5 or 10 lbs that is suggested by the StrongLifts program I was able to add 25 lbs today.  I attribute that entirely to form improvement.

So as I've increased weight I've noticed a tendency to roll onto the ball of my foot time to time.  Any suggestions on correcting this?

So as I've increased weight I've noticed a tendency to roll onto the ball of my foot time to time.  Any suggestions on correcting this?

Think about driving your heels through the floor instead of picking up the weight.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB