• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crazyjerseygirl

Couch to 5k...not hitting 5k!

My first 5K is April 26th.  I'm a-scared!

I'm entering into week 8 of the 9-week couch to 5k program.  Problem is that, in a 25-minute jog, I'm only covering about 2 miles.

So obviously I have to kick up my game as I am too slow for the app.  The final goal is to run for 30 minutes (with a 5-min warm up & cool down)  I figure I have two options.

Option A: After C25K is over, train to do that 5K faster so that I can fit it within about 30-minutes

Option B: Finish C25K and train to run longer than 30-minutes, eventually reaching whatever time it takes me to finish 5K.

I'm not looking to win a race, just finish the dang thing!  At this pace I'm worried that I'm gonna putz out with still a half a mile to go.

So, any suggestions?

Option B.

Run 5k, it's a confidence builder. I wouldn't worry about trying to make it in 30 minutes - that's a pretty fast time for a first run.

Plus, on race day, the adrenaline will kick in. probably get you through the whole thing! :)

• Like 3

I agree with Barfly, now that you've got into the habit of running, if you just go out and run a 5k (regardless of how quick you do it), you can then work on refining that time. I always found that if I set the target of running the 5k and not caring about the time, provided you pace yourself well you've got much more in the tank than you think you might. 

Ok, thanks all.  That was the choice that common sense was leading me to, but one never knows, I figure I'd ask around!

I'll finish the program, then I have two weeks of free training, I think I'll just use that to extend my time.  At least I'm hitting the halfway point in 30 minutes!

Something to remember when running your first race: There's no shame in slowing down or walking when you need to. Don't use it as a crutch, and make the effort to push yourself as much as you can, but a wise person knows when it's time to slow the pace and get their wind back so they can cross the finish line.

Do it, don't give up, and learn from the experience to improve for the next one.

• Like 1

My first ever 5K run was 31:33, which put me squarely in the MIDDLE of the pack of 33 runners in my age bracket.  Getting below 30 isn't everything!  My best training time for a 5K was 28:19, but that was on a much cooler day... I overheat easily. 

I remember my first 5k was a benefit for the Atlanta Police Foundation. As such, the local police academy used it as PT for their recruits. I made a point to keep pace with them throughout the race. Even though there were some times I had to slow down for a breather, I always raced back up to keep alongside them. Figured as long as I was as fast as the cops, I was doing alright. :)

You might find the same to be helpful for you. Find someone who is running a pace you can handle, and make an effort to stay within a close proximity to them. 

my 5K time is still 40 minutes. 

There are two C25K programs: one is time based, and another one is distance based. You could just start over with a distance based programm :mushroom:

my 5K time is still 40 minutes. 

There are two C25K programs: one is time based, and another one is distance based. You could just start over with a distance based programm :mushroom:

Or just switch mid program. Find where you are distancewise.

If you can run for 30 minutes, you can do a 5k race. I'd only gotten to about week 7 or so in C25k when I did my first 5k (IIRC there was a water station you hit twice, I took a quick walk break while taking a few sips both times).

Basically - you've got nearly a month before your 5k and are at 25 minutes of running? You'll have no problem finishing (so long as you don't injure yourself).