Hey there Nerd Fitness!

Like a lot of people, I'm a 20-something with a desk job and not a lot of free time.  Or at least, that's what I tell myself.  Last spring and summer, I had a gym membership and made tons of progress improving myself, working out at least 3 times a week and eating responsibly.  Then I started traveling for work, and my discipline flew out the window.  3 months passed without a foot stepped inside the gym, so I cancelled my membership. Although my weight hasn't changed much in that time, my body mass definitely has, and I'm ready to do something about it.

My motivation: swing dance and kayaking. Lindy hop is my earthly obsession. I love swing dance, swing music, swing nerds...it's kind of the most awesome thing ever. When I'm feeling brave (which is most of the time), I even compete! I know getting in shape makes me a better dancer, and I want to dance harder, longer, and be able to do more awesome stuff (like this!). I've been rafting every summer for about 10 years now, and I recently got my first hard boat. I'm terrified that I will have to roll my kayak when I flip, but I know that if I'm going to level up my whitewater skills, I have to learn to roll, and building up core strength will make rolling easier.

Plus I just want to be the best me I can be.  So here I am, struggling to get back into a healthy routine and hoping that by joining you all on your own journeys to improve yourself, we can all make this a little more fun. 

What is your favorite benefit of getting fit?  Are there any other dancers or whitewater fanatics out there?  

:)

• Like 4

AnnaBJoyful: Christ-Follower, Swing Dancer, Researcher, Traveler, Lover of Life

Level 2 Human | Dance-Ninja-Assassin
STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Challenge 1

I actually was in excellent shape when traveling 1/2 of the year for work.  But I had to set a daily schedule that never deviated ... even when tired. 

I always worked out as soon as I was free of clients.  Then I ate as NORMAL a meal as possible .... salads ..... lean meats with veggies.  No alcohol or dessert or pastas with sauces.  

Steve has some good posts about staying fit on the road.  And I did weird things like march in place while watching TV, using phone books in pillowcases for "dumbbells" etc.

It's hard, but you can do it ... and you have great motivation!!!

Me, I like having the energy that comes from being healthy.  I just feel better.

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

It's hard, but you can do it ... and you have great motivation!!!

Thanks guys!  And so far one of the things I love about NF is that the people here don't seem like total fitness junkies who work out because they love it. Because let's face it. I don't love it.  I don't anticipate ever loving it.

It's hard, but I can do it.  Thanks for keeping it real!

• Like 1

Challenge 1

Welcome aboard!

Thanks guys!  And so far one of the things I love about NF is that the people here don't seem like total fitness junkies who work out because they love it. Because let's face it. I don't love it.  I don't anticipate ever loving it.

It's hard, but I can do it.  Thanks for keeping it real!

I am paraphrasing a bit but: "If you cant do what you love, Love what you do". Also "build it and they will come". What I am trying to get across here is that I think that feelings off actually loving to work out might creep up on you along they way. Do not be freaked out! It does not mean that you have become a fitness junike!

In other news, Great goals and great motivation!

• Like 1

Lincarte - Level 3 - Dwarf Warrior 

Str: 7 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 3 | Con: 6 | Wis: 3 | Cha: 5

Squat - 120(~265 lb.) | Bench - 95(~209lb.) | Deadlift - 190(~419 lb.) | Total: 405(~893 lb.)

PvP:The 800 club - Daily Battle Log - #3, #2, #1

Ok, so I was thinking about it all day yesterday, and I want to get really specific about my challenges and my goals.  If I write them down, I’m more accountable, plus I can have something to refer back to.

Current situation:

I am 25, 5’5â€, 134 lbs.  I’m a pear, meaning the bulk of my weight is stored in my hips, thighs, calves, and butt.  I wear a small in shirts (4 or 6 in fitted shirts) and a medium or 8 in pants.  I definitely fall into the category of people who set ineffective goals.  For example, some past goals have been “eat better by consuming fewer calories†or “work out 3x per week.†These are fine goals for lots of people, but I would create unhealthy habits like “well, I can eat a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit meal for breakfast but then I just won’t eat much for lunch or dinner†– brilliant, now it’s 9 pm and I’m starving.  Or, “I’ll go to the gym 4 days this week, but I’ll do the same workout every time†– not helpful.   I also have pretty terrible sleep habits, and have been dragging myself out of bed around 7:50 and then rushing to get ready to be at work at 9:00.  I’m tired throughout the day and have trouble focusing…bleh.

Where I ultimately want to be:

• Size 4 in pants
  • Energized throughout the day and not dependent on caffeine
  • Able to go to a dance and never have to turn someone down because I’m too winded or need a break

So here’s my plan to pare down the pear and get healthy:

Sleep – Ultimate goal: In bed by 10:30, awake by 6:30; have energy throughout the day

Weapons and skills to get me there:

• ONE alarm using the app Sleep Timer
  • No computer or TV screens after 9:30
  • No caffeine after 1:00 pm

Diet – Ultimate goal: Size 4 pants, energized throughout the day

This one is tricky, because I need to make eating well SO MUCH EASIER and CHEAPER than the drive-through (love the NF article on this).  So what I’m going to try is to have a “cooking day†once a month to prep and freeze meats, and then buy fruits and veggies as needed.  Also, sweets are not an issue, but bread/rice/pasta/carbs are my downfall. I love them, they’re like my dessert.  I’m not sure I can cut them out entirely, but I’m working toward limiting them.

Plan:

• Breakfast – smoothies with protein powder (separate fruit and veggies into individual servings), omelets (pre-prep veggies and meat into individual servings – just add eggs!)
  • Lunch – frozen veggies and pre-prepped meat
  • Dinner – frozen veggies and pre-prepped meat

Weapons:

• Fitbit and MyFitnessPal to track caloric intake
  • Planner – write down cooking days to make time for eating well!
  • Freezer – home-made, healthy, easy freezer meals are so awesome!

Exercise – Ultimate goal: Size 4 pants, energized throughout the day, always ready to dance

The challenge here is I don’t plan on getting a gym membership, but bodyweight is more my thing.  If I can stick with home workouts and get my habits set, maybe I’ll reward myself with a membership.

Weapons and skills:

• Slightly hilly neighborhood that is great for intervals – power walk the slopes, jog the flat parts
  • Variety of workout videos to mix it up between Pilates, yoga, and lighter free weights (complete noob at lifting, so this is where I’ll start)
  • Fitbit and My FitnessPal to track workouts

This is mostly just a record for myself, but if you read all this, you’re awesome.  If you want to comment, you’re even awesome-er J

Thanks for the support, guys!

• Like 1

Challenge 1

Hi fellow lindy-hopper!

Love the lindy spotlights video you posted (I'm actually subscribed to them on youtube already haha!). I can only hope to ever be half as good as those dancers... I got tired just watching them! 

How long have you been swingin' ?

• Like 1

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

Hi fellow lindy-hopper!

Love the lindy spotlights video you posted (I'm actually subscribed to them on youtube already haha!). I can only hope to ever be half as good as those dancers... I got tired just watching them! 

How long have you been swingin' ?

I've been dancing for about 2.5 years now.  How about you?

Challenge 1

I've been dancing for about 2.5 years now.  How about you?

About 3.5 years now... I love it!

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

One thing I did on the carb front was switch to wholemeal carbs first, then slowly reduce portion size. Attempting to go cold-turkey led to crippling headaches so I wouldn't recommend that (apparently, though, it only lasts a week), but slowly reducing worked better. Now I still eat carbs, but most of it's breakfast muesli and the rest through fruit/veg etc. I no longer feel the need to load up on rice.

You're still full, it's just a different kind of full. I mused this on the journey home one day after a lunch of chicken, apple, tea... I felt full, I felt fine, I felt good. But there was still an extra bit, a strange desire to fill all that extra space with bread. Not to feel just full, but over-filled and stuffed. I didn't, but it was sure there. Bread demons :)

• Like 2

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora