Kenobi's 2nd Journey to the Mud

Nice to hear a positive comment heading your way from another gym goer.

Doing well Ranger.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Missed two workouts...missed last thursday's workout and then I missed Monday's workout. Man it feels like FOREVER!

O.K., O.K....I didn't "miss" them, I skipped them intentionally, falling back on the excuse of needing more rest.

Back to the gym today and it was PACKED!

Seriously, I had to alter my workout due to the influx of people there.

So, normal dynamic warmup (roughly 10-15min depending on how I feel), then I went to the Squat Rack to bust out my DLs, but the Racks were full!

A bench was open, so I did my bench press sets instead.  1 x 10 @ 20(per side), 1 x 10 @ 30, 1 x 10 @ 35

Squat Rack Open! Alright!  Deadlifts - Bar + 15, 1 x 7, 1 x 8, 1 x 9

The Pull Bar AND Plyo Box that I use for negatives were taken...so...

Lat Pull Downs - 1 x 10 @ 80, 1 x 10 @ 110, 1 x 10 @ 125

Cable Rows - 1 x 7 @ 80, 1 x 8 @ 95, 1 x 9 @ 110

Planks - 45sec, 55 sec, 65 sec

DONE.

Did my cool down stretches and walked out like a boss.

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus 

So, I'm going to keep the current schedule, I'm definintely seeing better performance by doing my Deadlift & Upper Body workout FIRST and then doing the Squat & Lower Body workout later in the week. I really, REALLY need to start getting some runs in. The Dash is three months away.

Other than that, I am enjoying reading Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength", definitely giving me a lot to chew on.

Tomorrow is the squat workout!  :victorious:

So, today was a day for SQUATS and such things! And I got in and got it done.

After reading Rippetoe's book all this week, I forsook the kettlebell front squats and approached the squat rack. Annnnd both squat racks were full. Having the Dumbell Bench Press on my list, I figured I would knock that out first, which I did and it was enough time spent there to free up the squat rack!

DB Bench Press (close in and tight) - 1 x 10 @ 35, 1 x 10 @ 37.5, 1 x 10 @ 40

SQUATS! 3 x 7 with just the bar. (45lbs) - This felt good. My form and execution felt a lot better than when I tried about a month ago, and definitely felt better than when I was doing them at home with a curl bar. I'm looking forward to my progression with the bar.

Car Drivers - 2 x 10 @ 25lb plate

Static Lunges - 2 x 10 @ 27.5lb DBs PR on the DB weights, went up from 25s!

Planks, 40sec, 55 sec, 75sec.... PR on the 75sec, increased by 10sec!

I sacrificed a set of the Car Drivers and the Lunges due to a time constraint this morning and cut my rest times down a little. So by the end I was sweating a lot and breathing heavier than normal.

FELT. DAMN. GOOD.

:victorious:

This week is the wifey's Mon/Wed/Fri, so I'll be hitting it tomorrow morning. From around 1130 to about 230 yesterday I did "light PT", otherwise known as yardwork. Lawn was pretty long and in danger of getting a Homeowners Association notice (for those of you who don't know what that's about, thank your lucky stars and NEVER move into a neighborhood with an HOA...) My back, specifically the lower back is a little tender. Partly from the lawn work, partly from sleeping wrong.

Just a random "check in".

Look for an actual workout update tomorrow!

DONE and DONE!

Deadlifts:  2 x 7 @ bar + 15lbs, 1 x 7 @ bar + 20lbs.  A new record, effectively added 10lbs (5lb to each side) on the bar for the dead lift. I'm sure I could do more, but I am really...REALLY focusing on form. I want to get to doing a DL with my bodyweight (185lbs), but I want to do it right.

Bench Press: 1 x 10 @ Bar + 15, 1 x 10 @ Bar + 25, 1 x 10 @ Bar + 35.  This time, instead of using a 25 & a 10lb plate on each side, I grabbed the 35lb plates. I tell you what, I knew I could do it, I've been hitting 35s for awhile but using 25 & 10lb plates. There was something psychological about using the 35lb plate, maybe because it was just a lot BIGGER of a plate. Focused, reminded myself its the same weight it just looks different, got down and did it. Definitely feel stronger, if I had a spotter I'd probably try and jump to the 45s, just to see what I can do. <sigh>  Patience and persistence...

Pulls/Negs:  1st round: 2/6, 2nd round: 1/7, 3rd round: 0/8

Cable Rows: 1 x 10 @ 80, 1 x 10 @ 95, 1 x 10 @ 110lbs

Planks: 50sec, 60 sec, 70sec

Normal Warm Up prior to workout and Cool Down Stretches post workout.

LIKE. A. BOSS.

Box Jumps: 3 x 10

Squats:  2 x 7 w/Oly Bar, 1 x 5 @ Bar+5lb (per side), 1 x 5 @ Bar+10lb  -The Form/Technique felt good. Was having a problem, however, with making the "shelf" & grip, but I took my time with it.

Dumb Bell Bench Press:  1 x 10 @ 35lb DBs, 1 x 10 @ 37.5lb DBs, 1 x 10 @ 40lb DBs

Car Drivers:  2 x 10 w/25lb Plate

Planks: 45sec, 55sec, 65sec

Lunges w/27.5lb DBs:  1 x 10 static, 1 x 10 walking, 1 x 10 static

I've been devouring Ripptoe's book "Starting Strength", and I think I will be replacing the Car Drivers/DB Bench Press with "The Press" that he teaches in the book. I think it will accomplish more logn term/overall than these two exercises would, on this workout schedule.

Normal dynamic warmup and cool down stretches done, of course.

Ran my road circuit this morning. I marked it out in my vehicle as 2.5miles, my little Nike App that comes with my nano said that it was actually 2.25 miles. So, I guess I'm running 2.25 miles! Makes sense.

Feelin' good. Went farther than I did my first time out (solo) last season.

Showed up at the gym and got to work. Dynamic warmup as usual, then on to DL's and upperbody stuff.

Deadlifts: 1 x 7 w/15lbs per side, 2 x 7 w/20lbs/side  Deadlifts felt like a shit sandwich. The first set was ok. Second set was "meh" and the third set was a little worse than that.  I don't know what was up. I've been reading "Starting Strength" and paying attention to the cues (vertical bar path, bar at shins/thighs, back straight, etc) and my form. Something just wasn't there. I know my last set I overextended myself in the lockout position, so at least I caught that.

Bench Press:  1 x 10 @ 20lbs/side, 2 x 10 @ 35lbs/side.  Not bad, felt good about the sets. Wanted to go for 40lbs on the final set, but didn't have a spotter. Such is the life.

Pulls/Negs: felt a little weaker here, mainly because I barely got 2 up the first set and couldn't even get 1 on the second. 2/6, 0/8, 0/8

Cable Rows: Skipped due to time constraints

Planks: 50, 60 70sec

So, overall, the training was OK, but I felt it could've been better.

My viewpoint: it might've felt like crap, but I showed up and got to work. I'll do better next time.

Thursday Workout!

Felt a lot better than Tuesday, took some shorter breaks and got a good sweat on. Dynamic warmup before and stretching after, as always.

Box Jumps - 3 x 10

Squats - 5 x 5 - Bar, Bar, Bar + 5s, Bar + 10s, Bar + 15s

Dumbell Bench Press - 3 x 10 - 35s, 37.5s, 40s

Car Drivers - 2 x 10 w/25lb plate

Lunges - 2 x 10 w/27.5lb DBs - 10 walking, 10 static

Planks - 50sec, 60sec, 70sec

DONE!

Saturday I plan on doing another 2.25mile run.

Friday Morning weigh in! Haven't weighed myself for three weeks.

190.4lbs.

Last weigh in was 186.4.

Gain of 4lbs.

Not too worried about this, I've been working on strength gains, focusing on eating well - in the middle of a few "splurges"(but not too many). I don't see much of a difference in the mirror. I took a progress photo this morning too, which will be compared against the one I took in the beginning of April - that might give me some insight. Wish I would've taken one at the beginning of May, too, like I wanted to.

More to come on this as time goes on.

Yesterday I put 20lbs of iron in my backpack, and the mowed the back lawn while my Ipod Nano Nike app calculated the steps and total distance I walked. 

.97 miles. 

Haha. Gotta be creative and find little ways to level up, even while working on the lawn.

(I was going to run on Saturday, but Friday evening and saturday morning I was feeling fuzzy and vertigo-ish. So I opted out.)

Memorial Day Workout!

The rec center was open and I went to work!

Deadlifts:  5 x 5  - Bar, Bar+10, +15, +20, +25 - heaviest to date! I know I'm going slower, but I'm obsessing over form and getting this shit right, especially since I am going solo and using Starting Strength as my informational guide.

Bench Press: 3 x 10 @ Bar +15, +25, +35.  Added 5s to each side and had a trainer spot me. Did 1x5 @ Bar +40 per side LIKE A DAMN BOSS. Cranked out one more rep (started to slow down a bit) for the hell of it.  THAT felt damn good! Took off the 5s and did one more set of 5 @ 35.  ANOTHER PR!

Pulls / Negs:  3/5, 0/8, 0/8 - The third was sloppy, but BARELY made it. Attempted pulls on the 2nd and 3rd sets, but it wasn't happening. Still happy with the progress, made sure to really push the negatives.

Planks:  50, 60, 70sec

Went to the upper level where the track was. 5 laps = 1 mile. Did a light run at 2.5 laps, walked a quarter of a lap and then sprinted the final quarter. Just over half a mile, just wanted to go light and push myself a little more today since I had the time.

DONE!

WEDNESDAY!

Box Jumps: 3 x 10 - Long, Vertical, Long

Squats: 1 x 7 @ Bar, 1 x 10 @ Bar+5, 4 x 5 @ Bar +10, +15, +20, +25   - PR on last two sets of five!!  Heaviest I've gone on the iron to date. Again, when I indicate weight, I don't put total weight of the bar & plates, I just put the weight of the plates on one side. So, Bar + 25 = 45lb Bar + 50lbs = 95lbs. Not a lot to some, but definitely means progress for me.

Bench Press: 3 x 10 @ Bar+15, +25, +35 - I decided to do bench press again at the bar instead of dumbbells.

Car Drivers: 2 x 10 w/25lb plate

Lunges: 2 x 10 w/30lb DBs -  1 set walking, 1 set static

Planks: 50, 60, 70sec

DONE!

Well, for June, I'm doing things a bit different, but still doing the lifts. Here was today's workout.

I'm also trying a different approach to record keeping. First part of the equation is the weight, next part is amount of reps, next is sets. Basically like Rippetoe's formula, except, until I change it, I'm going to do Bar + whatever weight is on one side...habit I guess, I don't know. Haha, anyways, moving on and here we go!

Dynamic Warmup

Squat:  Bar X 5 X 2 - Warmup

Bar +10lb x 5 x 1

Bar +15lb x 5 x 1

Bar +25lb x 5 x 2

Bench:  Bar x 10 x 1 - Warmup

Bar +15lb x 5 x 1

Bar +25lb x 5 x 1

Bar +40lb x 5 x 2 - No need for a spot. Second set I cranked a few extra reps out, but these are the official numbers!  :victorious:

Deadlift:  Bar x 5 x 1

Bar +10 x 5 x 1

Bar +20 x 5 x 1

Bar +25 x 5 x 2

Pulls/Negs:  1/4, 1/4, 0/5, 0/5

Cool down stretches.  DONE.

Next workout will be Squats, PRESS, Deadlift, CHINS

Thursday morning workout DONE!

Squats:  Bar x 5 x 2

Bar +15lbs x 5 x 1

Bar +25lbs x 5 x 1

Bar +30lbs x 5 x 2

Press:  Bar x 5 x 5   First time doing this one. Took it slow, trying to make sure form and execution were right. Felt "ok", will keep at it.

Deadlift:  Bar x 5 x 1

Bar +15lbs x 5 x 1

Bar +25lbs x 5 x 1

Bar +30lbs x 5 x 2

Chins/Negs:  3/2, 2/3, 1/4, 0/5

Done!

Was planning on running this morning, didn't get to. Woke up early to a really bad cramp in my right calf. #Lebronning, I know... ;-)

Fitting anything in that I can for forward momentum.

2.20 miles w/33.5lbs on my back. Lawn work again. The extra .70 miles came from going back over my front lawn a second time and applying some lawn food to the front and back.

Monday Morning workout!

It took a lot to focus and stay in the game, I felt like a shit sandwich today and a little weak but I did what I could to push through it.

Normal Dynamic Warmup as usual - 10min (on average)

Squats:  Bar x 5 x 2

Bar +10 x 5 x 1

Bar +15 x 5 x 1

Bar +25 x 5 x 2

Last Thursday morning's squats were giving me issues with my knees and after a lot of thinking and BW squats over the course of the day, I realized that I wasn't paying as much attention to form that morning as I thought, I wasn't sitting back as far as I needed and I was pushing my knees WAY over my feet. Got that shit corrected quick, fast and in a hurry. Squats today weren't a problem, except for mentally feeling like shit and feeling a bit weak physically, but I kept moving dammit!

Bench Press:  Bar x 10 x 1

Bar +15 x 5 x 6

Bar +25 x 5 x 1

Bar +40 x 5 x 1

Bar +40 x 5 x 7

So, when I got done with the Bench, I looked at the squat rack and it was full... DAMMIT. So I wasn't sure if I would get my DL's in at all, so I went on to the Pull Ups.

Pull Ups & Negs:        2/3, 1/4, 1/4, 0/5 x 2

Eureka! A Squat rack opened up, I still have time, might as well get it on!

Deadlifts:  Bar x 5 x 1

Bar +10 x 5 x 1

Bar +25 x 5 x 2

DL's felt better this time around, form still feels good. Took it a little slower on the negative side of the DL to make sure everything stayed tight and in good form. A little tight in the lower back, but so far from the Rebels I've spoke with and observing my body, nothing to worry about. Shorted myself one working set of 5 due to time.

Respect I need to pay to a couple anonymous people today: During my squat set, there was a lady cranking out sets of five with 35s on the bar, more than where I'm at right now. Keep at it, lady, respect! During my cool down stretches, there was a guy next to me starting his warm up. He was missing the lower part of his left leg, from about the upper to mid shin, down. Looked like it had happened rather recently due to it being wrapped up. He was warming up like a boss, it really put my "i feel like shit" attitude in check with a "what's your excuse" type of question. Way to go, man, respect!

Didn't sleep last night, and it's going to be a looooooooooooooooong day today at work. Skipped, unfortunately, the workout and am GTGing chins today. Will also look at doing presses when I get home and some more chins, but as I said, it's going to be a loooooooong day today with work, so I'm doing what I can.