Guest coppelia

Hello fellow Rebels!

Finally I decided to take care of myself.

After a living a life for other people and spending lots of time helping others, who often neither where grateful nor deserved it, I realised that I am an important person myself. Last year I've been sick for a long time and had to take heavy medications (antibiotics really can knock you out!).

I wasn't able to go to College (I study Cognitive Science), thus I had plently of time thinking about my life.

It's not just, that I was physically ill - I've also been ignoring a severe depression and panic disorder for quite a long time, nearly destructed my own body by eating unhealthy and started smoking up to half a package a day.

This isn't how I want to live my life.

Because of the side-effects of the antibiotics I still have to deal with, I will interrupt Uni for half a year coming semester. Besides follwing the doctors orders, I want to use this time to become a fit, stable and healthy person, so I can pursue my dream of becoming a neuroprosthetics developer, without my issues interfering.

Although I have a healthy weight, I want to become fit, maybe lose 10 more pounds, but nothing extreme. Also, I decided to eat meat again. I lived vegan for quite a while, with the result of lots of deficiencies. I don't know for how long I will be able to follow this resolution, but I want to give it a try.

Then I need to quit smoking, starting today going cold turkey and will restart doing exercise. I used to love sports and I really really love martial arts, so I will enroll into a course next week. Also running used to be a passion of mine. I don't want to overdo things, but I know that moving more will help the depressions getting better (Knowing the neurochemnisty background from Uni, there is no denial - moving yourself is one of the best ways to make you happy!).

The same goes for meditation. When I was younger I did it every day, but after moving out from home, I did't have the time and spend my sparetime in front of the computer. I hope to be able to incorporate it into my live again.

The last big topic in my life that has to be taken care of is money. Due to medications and expensice vegan food, I made some debts. Also I'm moving to a new flat tomorrow (away from an abusive friendship!) and this is going to be costly, too. But I know that with some time and discipline I can find a solution for this!

So, after you know the basics about my goals for Nerd Fitness, a little more about myself. I am - how else could it be- a huge nerd. I love movies, video games (Left 4 Dead is the best!) and Comics (Walking Dead, anybody... I think it's safe to say I have a little zombie obsession). When I was younger I spend three years in hospital, all these stories made me feel less alone.

When I'm not hanging out with people, I love coding and -as weird as this sounds- maths. The pure logic you find in it is somehow calming in my opinion.

Well, that was quite the long text, thank you for making it through. I hope there aren't many mistakes, I'm not a native speaker.

You are a great community, and at this point I want to thank Steve for his wonderful blog.

Best wishes to you all,

coppelia