GAINING FAT!?!?!

SO..... I have been paleo every since I first read Saints success story. For awhile it was good I shedded fat while gaining a little muscle.

Then I decided it was time to stop counting calories

I was on a 1500 cal a day thing on MyFitnessPal, and since I'm 14 and small for my age I decided if I was every going to grow and gain muscle I couldn't obsess about calories. For the past month and a half I stopped counting calories, it was hard but I managed to do.

Now I'm gaining fat

And we're not talking about that small flucuation that happens with your body

We're talk FAT.

I am TOTALLY PALEO I don't eat grains dairy or any type of refined sugar

My Fitocracy

It's not about looking good anymore, it's about getting stronger

This is gonna be contrary to the advice of about 80% of the population here, but if you're a small 14 year old, I really wouldn't worry about paleo. Unless you've been convinced that non-paleo is pure poison that's gonna kill you, don't worry about replicating something like Saint's story, as you're at radically different points in life.

Don't eat a box of butterfingers every day, but you can likely get away with occasional cheeseburgers and milkshakes. Relax. You're 14, and it sounds like you've got the energy of a hummingbird on Redbull. Until you're actually overweight, chill out about gaining some fat. You probably need it. Mass doesn't just appear in the form of shredded muscle, by the way. Don't worry about having a six pack, or any of that nonsense. Just buy some cheap weights, lift them a few times a week, and go out and play.

If you want to get big and strong and lean, sign up for JV football or something.

And I'm not saying this to be a jerk or anything, but to find it hard to not count calories, as a 14 year old, is a bad sign. Seriously man, don't go down that path, it's a world of bad. Relax. Enjoy life. Freaking eat.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Hey Traceur! I dont think we've met yet, so hi! Its great that you are taking such an interest in your health. I wish I had your discipline at that age, I'd be much further along than I am now!

So, good news! I know exactly what you are doing wrong. And it's very easy to fix, if you do as I say. It'll be hard to believe but trust me, I know what I'm talking about. Are you ready?

You're not eating enough. Not NEARLY enough.

I dont know where you got that 1500 calories/day thing, but it is wrong, wrong, WRONG.

US Government Nutritional Guidelines: http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/chapter2.htm#table1

WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/estimated-calorie-requirement

keepkidshealthy: http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/nutrition/calorie_requirements.html

Live Strong: http://www.livestrong.com/article/82592-caloric-requirements-children/

Every single one of these sites says that active teenage males should be eating between 2400 - 2800 calories a day. Very active teens can eat upwards of 3200 calories. You've been undereating by over a thousand calories, every day!

"But I'm gaining weight!" you say. Well yeah. Its no wonder. Your body thinks it's living in Ethiopia! It learned how to survive off the bare minimum, so when the famine lightened up a bit (i.e., you started eating a bit more), it stored every ounce it could in preparation for the next famine. To simplify: Undereating messed you up. :)

Solution:

Very easy. You, sir, get to start counting calories again! Except this time, you will eat between 2400 - 2800 calories, every day, without fail. Good foods with lots of protein and nutrients to help that poor body of yours recover and get strong.

I'm not going to lie. You will gain weight, probably around 5 lbs or so. Maybe more. As I said, your body is in Storage Mode. This is your punishment for not doing your research to begin with, and you need to suffer it to make things right. Stick with it. Once your metabolism believes that you have all the food you could possibly need, those pounds will melt away and you will become a lean mean Traceuring machine.

Good luck!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Hey, Duder. I agree with both Knightwatch and Alethea! First of all... chill out and go play! Second of all... eat more!

I'm a small guy 5'7" and about 145 right now. I'm 29 and am done growing, so I don't have the metabolism of a 14 year old. I was doing the around 1500 calories a day thing and saw weight loss for awhile but wasn't getting the strength gains or body composition that I wanted. Instead of restricting more... I added calories! I try to get between 2500-3000 a day and I've seen some body fat lost in the last six weeks (not counting calories was one of my challenge goals!) and a lot better strength gains. I'm also planning on upping my calories again at some point in the future, because I won't more muscle!

You gotta eat, boy!

Level 1 Ranger in Training

Current Challenge

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

-- Jack London

I'm with all of the above. You're restricting your diet too much and so your body is storing fat and using your quick energy stores. Eat at least 2400 calories, but better yet don't count them or keep track of them. Keep track of what you're eating, but don't stress about it. As a 14-year-old you probably have a high enough metabolism that you burn almost everything you're eating even if you're sedentary. Eat to your heart's content and then burn off the excess energy. You'll be okay. =)

Human Ranger (Lvl 2)
Be the author of your own adventure.
Fitocracy -- Challenge 1: AR's Return

I'm with all of the above. You're restricting your diet too much and so your body is storing fat and using your quick energy stores. Eat at least 2400 calories, but better yet don't count them or keep track of them. Keep track of what you're eating, but don't stress about it. As a 14-year-old you probably have a high enough metabolism that you burn almost everything you're eating even if you're sedentary. Eat to your heart's content and then burn off the excess energy. You'll be okay. =)

I wish I had pictures of me at 14 so I could show you that this is not true. Although I agree with the rest of the folks here that you shouldn't be to concerned about diet. Instead try to be more healthy you're body is still growing so being underfed all the time is not good for you.

Holy crap, dude, listen to what everyone else is saying and start eating a) WAY more calories, and B) WAY more varieties of food. Being on such a restrictive diet at your age when you do not medically need to lose weight is insane, stupid, and damned dangerous.

Let's hit some facts here, which will just repeat what other people have already said:

1) You are 14

2) You are growing

3) Your caloric needs as a pubescent adolescent are VERY different from that of a fully grown adult

4) You will gain fat at this age. Your body NEEDS fat at this age if it is to properly regulate its own hormone production

5) You will likely not achieve the sort of bulking and cutting you want until you are at least a few years older

6) Being on a restrictive diet designed to cut fat at your current age will likely cause you to get further from your goals

7) Your current mentality and panicked approach to diet, exercise, and body composition could be setting you up for a lifetime of disordered eating and fitness behaviours. That will do you no favours in the long run.

Seriously, you need to put the calipers, measuring tape, and scale away for the time being. You want to be healthy and set yourself up for good muscle gains as you grow? Focus on the following:

1) Learn how to cook. Learn how to cook well, how to cook a wide variety of foods, and how to cook healthy meals. That way you will always have the tools you need to eat healthy, interesting food (as well as seriously impress any current or future love interests).

2) Develop your palate so you learn to like a wide variety of foods. Develop a taste for sashimi. Investigate traditionally fermented vegetables. Methodically try every piece of produce in your local grocery store, then try every piece of produce in your closest ethinic grocery store. Stay away from junk, from processed foods, and from excessively sugary drinks.

3) Try a wide variety of sports and fitness activities and figure out which ones you enjoy the most. Note: focus on the ones you ENJOY the most, not the ones you think are going to give you the bulk and muscle you are looking for - this will help you develop good exercise habits and discipline.

4) Establish good sleeping habits. So your friends are up at 2:00 am playing the latest Halo. Want to be fitter than them? Want to do more for your body then they are? Get your ass into bed at a reasonable hour and clock between 8 and 10 hours of sleep every night.

5) Become aware of your own body's clues so that you can recognize and respond to it when it tells you when you need to eat, when you need to work out, when you need to rest, and when you need to sleep.

6) Eat enough food. 1500 calories is entirely too little for a small-framed 14 year old in a growth phase who wants to gain weight.

If you want to here the sort of advice that people are giving you here from a professional, talk to your parents about seeing a nutritionist and a personal trainer who specializes in adolescents. If they won't send you to one and you are still wanting to get a plan tailored specifically to your needs and goals, save up your money and make the appointments yourself.

Take these steps and the advice everyone else in this thread have been giving you and you'll be a living Adonis by the time you are 19. People will be wondering how the hell you do it and it will be so effortless and second nature you'll be amazed that people live any other way.

I wish I had pictures of me at 14 so I could show you that this is not true. Although I agree with the rest of the folks here that you shouldn't be to concerned about diet. Instead try to be more healthy you're body is still growing so being underfed all the time is not good for you.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. My point was that his diet is much too restrictive and it's hurting him more than it's helping. I'm not saying he will get away with eating shitty fat filled foods and empty carbs, I agree that he should eat well and only foods that provide an adequate store of vitamins and nutrients. I'm not even saying he shouldn't eat paleo, but he needs to eat way more than he currently does regardless of whether he's active or not.

Human Ranger (Lvl 2)
Be the author of your own adventure.
Fitocracy -- Challenge 1: AR's Return

This is gonna be contrary to the advice of about 80% of the population here, but if you're a small 14 year old, I really wouldn't worry about paleo. Don't worry about replicating something like Saint's story, as you're at radically different points in life.

Don't eat a box of butterfingers every day, but you can likely get away with occasional cheeseburgers and milkshakes. Relax. You're 14, and it sounds like you've got the energy of a hummingbird on Redbull. Until you're actually overweight, chill out about gaining some fat. You probably need it. Mass doesn't just appear in the form of shredded muscle, by the way. Don't worry about having a six pack, or any of that nonsense. Just buy some cheap weights, lift them a few times a week, and go out and play.

If you want to get big and strong and lean, sign up for JV football or something.

And I'm not saying this to be a jerk or anything, but to find it hard to not count calories, as a 14 year old, is a bad sign. Seriously man, don't go down that path, it's a world of bad. Relax. Enjoy life. Freaking eat.

+1 to this advice, emphasis mine.

Life is about WAY MORE than health and fitness. As a 14 year old all you should be worrying about is the 3 G's, grades, games and girls. You've got your whole life ahead of you, and it's going to be awesome, but not if you spend your teenage life malnourished and miserable about all your friends eating ho-hos while you're on a "no sugar" diet.

One of the regrets I have from being a teenager is not playing sport. Nobody told me that it was okay to be crappy at it as long as I had fun. As long as you're moving and being happy then health will take care of itself.

Weightlifting won't stunt your growth, malnutrition will.

I've come to realise that without a signature, people tend to ignore the last line of whatever I say, this exists to rectify that

I remember my teenage years pretty vividly (I'm 22, so that might be part of it), and I think I would have been pretty pissed off to see some of the stuff people have said here. It's a mistake to say that at 14 one should only be concerned about "grades, games, and girls." Summing up a life in those three things is kind of a waste, and it presumes that 14-year-olds can't or shouldn't care about other things, and, um, guess what -- they do. If I were fourteen, I would have been insulted at such advice. But I suppose that's neither here nor there.

Here's the thing, Traceur, there are certain things about being 14 that are going to effect about your body and how it looks.

If you're still early in puberty, your body isn't going to be ready to build muscle like an adult (or even perhaps some of your friends who may have started puberty before you). Your body is busy doing other things, like getting you physically ready to have babehs (OMG DON'T HAVE TEH BABEHS). Protein is essential for hormone production, and it's protein that you need a lot of. But all of the protein you're consuming is going to that hormone production(as it should). So muscle building is gonna take time -- lots and lots of time.

But fat gain is going to happen, also. This is especially true if you're a girl, but still true if you're a guy. Don't sweat it too too much and remember that your body is still inherently different than most of the folk on this forum.

I would say stick with paleo, honestly. Paleo is a good way to eat, not just for adults but for kids and teenagers, too. Lots of parents these days raise their kids paleo with no problem. Again, though, here's the thing: you're going to need to eat A LOT MORE than what adults will. Cause you're growing (getting ready for your body to be able to make the bebehs -- EVEN THOUGH YOU SHOULDN'T), and that shit takes energy. So even if/when you stay paleo, you're still gonna eat a SHITTON more than most other people. And that's okay.

If you have to choose between eating paleo and eating more, I would err on the side of eating more. Your body needs the energy, and if you have to get it from potatoes, it's not going to matter especially much in the long run. I would still steer clear of breads -- they should be your last resort. But I would consult a paleo mom/dad about that.

I do agree with others that perhaps doing weight lifting is not the best route to get what you would like to see. To get your muscles engaged, stronger, and more capable, do a sport or dance, or something. Do something physical that you like to do. I'm sorry to tell you this, but at your age you're not gonna see the muscle growth of Saint without unnatural hormones. Your body probably just doesn't have the tools necessary to make that happen. BUT you can work your muscles and make good use of them in other kinds of physical activity. It's a great way to keep your body engaged, and your muscles will lean out and gain definition as your body has time to stack protein onto them.

Those are my thoughts. And don't ever let someone tell you that your life has to be a certain way just because you're young! Make your life what YOU want it to be -- that is the first step towards becoming an adult. :)

All the best,

Draco

I do agree with others that perhaps doing weight lifting is not the best route to get what you would like to see. To get your muscles engaged, stronger, and more capable, do a sport or dance, or something. Do something physical that you like to do. I'm sorry to tell you this, but at your age you're not gonna see the muscle growth of Saint without unnatural hormones.

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=604&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=teen+bodybuilder&btnG=Search

I have yet to find anyone on a fitness forum who wouldn't or hasn't benefited from six months on a consistent strength program combined with lots of meat eating.

Thread starter needs to realize this before he ends up a RandomFitter.

Doesn't matter whether it's weights or pistol squats and handstand push ups. Everybody needs strength as a base.

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=604&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=teen+bodybuilder&btnG=Search

I have yet to find anyone on a fitness forum who wouldn't or hasn't benefited from six months on a consistent strength program combined with lots of meat eating.

Thread starter needs to realize this before he ends up a RandomFitter.

Doesn't matter whether it's weights or pistol squats and handstand push ups. Everybody needs strength as a base.

That's not really good evidence. Age alone doesn't determine where you are in puberty, and that is the important factor here. For example, I started puberty at 8. My mom didn't start till she was 16. We looked TOTALLY DIFFERENT at the same ages.

You also don't know how many, if any, of those teens have taken steroids.

It's a mistake to say that at 14 one should only be concerned about "grades, games, and girls." Summing up a life in those three things is kind of a waste, and it presumes that 14-year-olds can't or shouldn't care about other things, and, um, guess what -- they do. If I were fourteen, I would have been insulted at such advice. But I suppose that's neither here nor there.

I understand. Life is complicated at 14, and the advice was a simplification. The inherent problem with reading advice as text is that you can't hear the vocal intonations of what I write. So what to me is a silly joke is to another reader patronising.

Nonetheless, there's a vast spectrum of experiences out there. Stressing over a little fat while you're still growing is not a healthy mindset, especially if you're eating properly and being active. The body will largely take care of itself for these years. Millions of others have grown up and not turned into mega-chubbers from eating meat and vegetables and leading an active lifestyle. This was the intended point of my post.

I've come to realise that without a signature, people tend to ignore the last line of whatever I say, this exists to rectify that

I understand. Life is complicated at 14, and the advice was a simplification. The inherent problem with reading advice as text is that you can't hear the vocal intonations of what I write. So what to me is a silly joke is to another reader patronising.

Nonetheless, there's a vast spectrum of experiences out there. Stressing over a little fat while you're still growing is not a healthy mindset, especially if you're eating properly and being active. The body will largely take care of itself for these years. Millions of others have grown up and not turned into mega-chubbers from eating meat and vegetables. This was the intended point of my post.

Check. The internetz are pesky like that.

@draco

That's because you're not a boy.

And steroids aren't a good excuse. Everybody on every fitness forum imaginable uses steroids as a magic explanation to prove every point imaginable.

There are whole communities for teen bodybuilders and they generally do gain some muscle. Even the ones too young for that will gain strength, coordination and resistance to injury.

Strength training or bodybuilding isn't something anybody completes at age 14. No matter your age, it has to be built over years.

Months learning to do the lifts or bodyweight exercises with better form.

Months getting more flexible.

Months making beginner gains.

Years making post-beginner gains and building muscle.

A high level of endurance can be reached in a few months.

Now the problem with all the advice on these fitness forums for teens, is that there's too much information.

"You've gotta restrict the calories and get six pack abs."

"No, go Atkins."

"Crossfit metcons"

"Dancing"

"Running"

"Lift"

"Build a base of endurance"

"Push ups are superior to weights"

"No they're not"

Trying all types of easy stuff will just leave you mediocre like vegan yogajoggers at a spinning class, going from one thing to another and mastering nothing.

If you want to really be good, you have to decide now exactly what you want to accomplish and what you want to look like, then take it one phase at a time.

Say you want abs but you want muscle and strength too, while being good at two sports. You can't do it all at once. You need to have a plan if you're gonna do what's necessary. I.e., saying "screw six pack abs, I'm gonna eat more and lift more before I worry about that". You have to be ready to focus on a program for at least six months and not get training ADD.

@draco

And steroids aren't a good excuse. Everybody on every fitness forum imaginable uses steroids as a magic explanation to prove every point imaginable.

There are whole communities for teen bodybuilders and they generally do gain some muscle. Even the ones too young for that will gain strength, coordination and resistance to injury.

Strength training or bodybuilding isn't something anybody completes at age 14. No matter your age, it has to be built over years.

Now the problem with all the advice on these fitness forums for teens, is that there's too much information.

"No, go Atkins."

"Crossfit metcons"

"Dancing"

"Running"

"Lift"

"No they're not"

Trying all types of easy stuff will just leave you mediocre like vegan yogajoggers at a spinning class, going from one thing to another and mastering nothing.

If you want to really be good, you have to decide now exactly what you want to accomplish and what you want to look like, then take it one phase at a time.

Say you want abs but you want muscle and strength too, while being good at two sports. You can't do it all at once. You need to have a plan if you're gonna do what's necessary. I.e., saying "screw six pack abs, I'm gonna eat more and lift more before I worry about that". You have to be ready to focus on a program for at least six months and not get training ADD.

Amazing thank you everyone

My Fitocracy

It's not about looking good anymore, it's about getting stronger

@draco

"No, go Atkins."

"Crossfit metcons"

"Dancing"

"Running"

"Lift"

"No they're not"

I didn't say they WERE on 'roids. I said that you had no way of proving which ones were and which weren't. ALSO you don't know when those teens started puberty. Essentially, you don't know the hormonal makeup of those bodies. Hormones run freaking everything in your body -- whether they are fake (steroids) or natural (late in puberty). So your pictoral evidence is shaky as best as a way to counter my point. My point is this: a lot of what you're going to be able to do is going to depend on the chemical makeup of your body. If Traceur isn't far along enough in puberty, muscle building most likely isn't going to be in the way that he thinks or wants it to be.

No, I'm not a boy, but that doesn't preclude the fact that everyone starts puberty at different times. If Traceur hasn't started puberty or is early in it, then his body isn't going to be able, chemically, to put on muscle that way.

I never said he couldn't gain muscle, or strength, or anything like that. I'm just saying that his expectations need to be tailored to what his body can chemically do. Naturally, I don't know what that is, not knowing the guy, but I'm putting it out there as something to be considered.

Maybe the best advice for you is to go talk to a health provider who knows specifications of your body.

i might add that if you do consult a health provider, you go to one that is accustomed to working with athletes. my health providers (a GP and a Nutritionist) steered me in the wrong direction for YEARS...which i won't go into right now. :)

I didn't say they WERE on 'roids. I said that you had no way of proving which ones were and which weren't. ALSO you don't know when those teens started puberty. Essentially, you don't know the hormonal makeup of those bodies. Hormones run freaking everything in your body -- whether they are fake (steroids) or natural (late in puberty). So your pictoral evidence is shaky as best as a way to counter my point. My point is this: a lot of what you're going to be able to do is going to depend on the chemical makeup of your body. If Traceur isn't far along enough in puberty, muscle building most likely isn't going to be in the way that he thinks or wants it to be.

Indeed. The bodybuilding capabilities of a well-grown 17 year old are going to be vastly different from those of a smaller 14 year old.