In order to help me add vegetables to MY diet, I am putting forth the challenge to all Nerds to join me in learning about new vegetables and new ways to cook them!!

Since this is my first PvP sort of challenge, I'm starting easy. 

This is a PvE challenge - i.e. players (us) vs. the environment (i.e. the world).   I grew up hating veggies because they were an overcooked addition to a corner of my plate ... that I had to eat in order to get dessert.  (You can see why I ended up fighting my weight ....) 

This challenge is an opportunity to stretch yourself and to get new ideas from fellow Nerd Fitness fans.

The challenge to those who accept is this:
1) Work in alphabetical order (A to Z) and post one new (to you) vegetable recipe per day (or so) during the next 6-week challenge.
2) Make said recipe and post a picture of it.
3) If you make a recipe that someone else posted, and you like it, then "LIKE" it here in the forum.  

Recipes do not have to be particularly difficult.  In fact, the easier the better.

So, for instance, on day one, I might make a new recipe with Asparagus.  The next day, I might try to find something with Brussels Sprouts that hubby doesn't despise.  And then on day three, it could be something with Carrots or Cabbages.  Get the idea??

freggies

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Just vegetables, not fruit? Can the vegetables be incorporated into another dish? Does the alphabet move on even if someone does not post a recipe for that letter (e.g, is day 3 of the 6-week challenge letter C, or is the 3rd day that *I* post something letter C for me?)

I cook with vegetables a lot, but the variety has tended to shrink over time, but I also need to branch out more. So, I would love to take on this challenge! Just need a little clarification. :tennis:

• Like 1

I'm thinking vegetables are the focus, but go ahead and end post recipes that incorporate other ingredients ... like Chicken with Artichokes ..... or whatever.  Just challenge yourself to find something new.

EACH person is responsible for the whole alphabet on their own.  So YOU post one with a vegetable starting with "A" on day 1, "B" on day 2, "C" on day three.  Ignore other people's progress.

And since the challenge is 42 days long, and the English alphabet is only 26 letters long - you don't have to post every day.  Just stay in order when you do post.  You're on your own schedule.  

Next challenge - maybe we do fruits??  I just need something to expand my range of dishes.  We're in a rut in my kitchen!!  Break free of the rut!!

• Like 3

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

My last challenge has shown that I can't try out as many new recipes as I would like, so I'd probably have to stick to mostly posting "stuff I want to try out eventually" or even "stuff I just tried out".

Is that allowed, too?

• Like 1

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Well, since there's no prize on the line - go ahead and contribute what you can.  It think it's more interesting to see what you just tried out ... and find out if you liked it!

Some of my posts will be recipes I used to make but have not for years. I think If I have made it within the last 4-5 years it does not count, but in the interest of getting more of those old habits back, I will post some of the past family favorites. :playful:

• Like 1

The vegetable should start with the letter ... although we may need to skip "Q" and "X" - but I was counting on the nerdiness of Nerd Fitness peeps to find the obscure.

A list of vegetables is here:  http://www.buzzle.com/articles/alphabetical-list-of-vegetables.html

• Like 1

A list of vegetables is here:  http://www.buzzle.co...vegetables.html

That was the same list I found. It has every vegetable I have ever heard of (including some wild-growing greens), and quite a few that I have never heard of. :kiwi-fruit:

Darn!!  Maybe we'll have to say that sQuash counts for "Q".  What can we cram into "X"???

Or .... go off the rails and accept vegetable names in different languages?  I'm game.   Anything to make vegetables more fun ... and appetizing.

• Like 1

Welcome, Minion.  I sympathize with the culinary restrictions.  We joined a CSA this year, and I expect that I will be confronted with a lot of a few vegetables.  Kale will feature prominently. 

• Like 1

I wanna watch :)

I already eat every veggie sold at my local grocery stores :( (frownie face that there isn't more offered!!!)

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I'm in.  My challenge is to have at least 3 veggies at each meal.  I love veggies, so it's not that, it's just sometimes i neglect veggies in favour of protein :)

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Each meal ...... wow!!!   Glad to have you all here - share favs!!

Just went to the store today and got asparagus, bok choy, collards and daikon. Maybe I will work in some wild edibles, if I can find them.

Imho, even if you already eat all the veggies sold locally, you can participate if you try a new recipe. :) That is partially a selfish opinion, as other than varieties of mushrooms and greens, some letters will be hard for me to find unless I use something we already eat (like bok choy).

• Like 1

Yeap - new RECIPES are also post-worthy. 

I'm in too!

I like veggies (I was vegetarian for a long time, just because I don't like meat!), but I'm in a trend to just eat broccoli and tamatos.

does the vegetable have to start with the letter, or the recipe... is there even a vegetable that starts with a q?

I will probably have some issues to find some of the veggies here, so I'm thinking to stick with portuguese.

As so, there are quiabo (okra), that I hate! rs

• Like 2

It is so easy to fall into a rut! I realized a few months ago that i was essentially making the same 5-6 meals each week, with another 5-ish that I rotated in depending on how I felt and what I was in the mood for. Bo-ring! No wonder my kids do not want to eat the dinners I make. Now that I am mostly paleo, I am making more dishes, but they are veggie-heavy so the kids still don't want to eat them. If I can find 3 or 4 vegetable recipes during this challenge that my kids will eat willingly, I will consider it a huge success!

• Like 2

Picked up some asparagus (ON SALE WHOOP WHOOP!), broccoli, and cucumber for this round! Couldn't find anything for "D", yet. I have a couple more grocery stores to check out.

Yes, "D" in English is going to be hard.  I'm planning to slide through with dill.  We just don't have things like daikon radishes in a little town.