Hello!! My nerd alias is afr0taku and I'm hailing from Atlanta, Georgia (well, actually the boonies south of Atlanta  :playful: ).

I introduced myself a few days ago but for some reason all my posts and profile info disappeared :( I swear I'm not a ghost!

Anyway, I'm really really relieved and excited to have found Nerd Fitness.

No other fitness program, diet plan, or online community has inspired me more to get in shape! I love you, my fellow nerds!

I have a few 'whys' for getting in shape:

1) It is a dream of my to start my own cosplay/costume photography studio and business. I want to help create a new generation of original heroes (and of course still paying homage to the legends) and let other folks see themselves in a way that they've always dreamed of (for me, it's an bo staff and double blade wielding shape shifting martial artist who can turn into a dragon at will  :pride:). I realized that if I wasn't comfortable in front of the camera, I would fail to make my clients feel comfortable as well.

2) During college, I put my health on the back burner. I felt it impossible to study full time, work part time, and have a social life--in New York of all places--and be health conscious. I suffered from depression off and on and my weight yo-yoed (I had gone several months without seeing my brother who lives in downtown Manhattan, my weight was in the 200's--I was too afraid to weigh myself--he later told me he was sincerely worried that I'd suffer from a heart attack because of my sudden weight gain at 21 years old! He was probably being a little dramatic but so was my sudden weight gain!) I graduated last spring and I still haven't regained my health. I feel horrible that I can't run along side my doggie across the yard without getting winded. I also smoke cigarettes so yeah--that's another horrid factor. I know I'm in horrible health and with everything causing cancer and young 20-somethings and even teens getting fatal diseases, I'm now very paranoid about my health or lack there-of...

3) Last but not least, I want to become the person I've always envisioned myself to be. Not necessarily thin and sexy. But confident and free. For as long as I can remember, my mother has been obsessed with her weight. She may be a little chubs chubs, but she's gorgeous. However, her insecurities have always been a primary characteristic of hers. Naturally, her insecurities rubbed off on me. She indirectly (and sometimes even directly) always made me feel just short of just good enough. I was naturally a chubby (or as I like to call it, "chibi") kid. I had a perfect bill of health, but my body image was always twisted either by my teen vogue magazines or by my own mum. I have so many goals and desires, I know that I must live the healthiest life I possibly can to experience the world in its entirety. I'm only 23 and I want the rest of my youthful years to be full of fun, risks, and dares so there's no better time than to start now!!

Thank you so very much to listening to me ramble and allowing to be apart of such a kick-ass community!

Love, peace, and elbow grease! xo

• Like 3

afr0taku

Half Human/Half Dragon Spirit | Monk

{LEVEL 0 | STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0}

The Pilgrimage of afr0taku

"Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence."

-Henry David Thoreau

Kierra, welcome to NerdFitness!  Your cosplay photography studio sounds SO AWESOME!  Do you have any drawings/pictures of your character?  She sounds amazing, too :D

A lot of people come to NF having faced the same problems you are.  We are here to support you!  Do you know where you would like to start--diet, exercise, quitting cigarettes?  

The next six-week challenge is on April 14th.  Will you be joining us?  

• Like 1

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!

Kierra, welcome to NerdFitness!  Your cosplay photography studio sounds SO AWESOME!  Do you have any drawings/pictures of your character?  She sounds amazing, too :D

A lot of people come to NF having faced the same problems you are.  We are here to support you!  Do you know where you would like to start--diet, exercise, quitting cigarettes?  

The next six-week challenge is on April 14th.  Will you be joining us?  

I don't have any drawings of her yet, but I will soon and I will be sure to share!

I definitely want to quit smoking cigarettes. I've tried many times before but I'm such a "situational" smoker. I smoke with my morning coffee, after I eat, when I'm stressed, when I'm having a passionate phone conversation, with a beer or wine, before I go to bed... it's such a significant part of my day, my willpower has failed me to quit. I'm hoping when I really start getting active, I'll be more willing to quit because I won't be able to breathe!

As for exercise, my main goal is to get into martial arts, perfect my Tai Chi practice and yoga. So I guess I'm a monk/druid hybrid! lol

I'm not aware of the April 14th challenge, I'm still reading through the introductory literature for the women's master class. There's so much information! I've just finished reading about the nutrition and diet and now I'm starting the fitness lessons. But I'm willing to try anything and everything!!

afr0taku

"Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence."

-Henry David Thoreau

I'm stoked to see your new character!  

Cigarettes are definitely hard to give up.  You might poke around the forums to see who else has given up smoking and how they achieved it, too.

Are you a part of the NerdFitness Academy?  How cool!  (Side note: if you are, your old post might have been on the Academy forums instead of these NF forums.  That might explain how they vanished!)

I don't want to overload you on info, but here's a quick rundown on the challenge format.  You can create a thread for a six-week "challenge" on the forums.  (To get an idea of what it looks like, you can check out the link to my challenge in my signature.)  You pick anywhere from one to four goals, usually three fitness-related goals and one "life" goal.  

For example, you could have the following goals:

1. Do the beginner body weight routine three times a week

2. Eat paleo two meals a day

3. Get to bed earlier (present bedtime: midnight; goal: 11PM by the end of the challenge)

4. Draw a picture every day.  

You update your progress two or three times a week.  At the end of the challenge, you post your results with a grade--i.e. I missed two workouts, so I get 89% for goal 1, but I got a 100% for goal 2!  During the challenge, you interact with people who have similar goals.  The challenge is really set up to encourage positive change and interactions with yourself and with other people.  It's pretty cool!

• Like 1

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

That's awesome! I was wondering how exactly I should get started... Thank you so much for your advice (and clearing up the forums issues as well lol).

I am a part of the academy, I need all the help I could get. I finally got a job after months of searching (this job market sucks so much booty) and I decided it was worth the investment, especially with the surplus of conflicting information about health and fitness!

afr0taku

-Henry David Thoreau

The Academy can definitely help you!  If I'm not mistaken, you'll also have access to pre-made plans for fitness and food.  You can work some of those into your goals should you join the six-week challenge.  

If you have any questions during your first few weeks, don't hesitate to ask!

• Like 1

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

Welcome!!  I'm a member of the Academy too - I'm bzjohnson over there.  If you have trouble finding information, let me know too!

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Welcome!!

I must say, your Cosplay studio sounds like an amazing idea! And I can't wait to see what your character looks like.

If you decide to participate in the next 6 week challenge, I'll be right there along with you as a newbie. I'm not a member of the Academy, but been active on these forums for a little over a week and I am loving the people. Everyone here is so encouraging and helpful, you've come to a great place to help you in your quest.

Welcome again, I look forward to "seeing" you around the forums!

• Like 1

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Hiya ^_^ I am in upstate SC, so not awfully far away.  I am graduating with my master's on May 9th, so I understand college taking ti's toll.  I am nearing the 300s after 6 years of school and self neglect. :( 

Let me know how you like the master's pack! I'm  trying to decide if I'm going to buy any!

Kudos and good luck!! :3

• Like 1