I wish I was a vampire.

Seriously, though. 

With all things I want to change in my life and all the goals I want to pursue, I feel like there is literally not enough available days in one lifetime.

I'm coming at this from a pretty exhausted place. I just recently just a full time job at Leslie's Pool Supplies as an assistant manager. As thankful as I am to have the job after months of a fruitless job hunt post-graduation last summer, it's really kicking my ass and I'm frustrated because my dream is to work on set--not sell buckets of chlorine and test pool water.

I think back when I was in school. Studying full time while working on and off part time. I had so much energy to get things accomplished and even when I didn't I naturally went into "auto mode" and got it done regardless. Honestly there were many times when I was walking to or from the subway and wondering how I managed to muster up the energy to stay on my feet.

I don't nearly have as many responsibilities now as I did back then. My main focus right now is to save up money for a car because I'm pretty stagnant at the moment and I'm going a little mental solely going to and from work and my mum's house everyday. I come home and immediately take a nap when I should be either working out, doing tai chi, yoga, practicing new hair braiding styles (I decided recently to make this my side hustle to help save up for a car AND try and pay off my gargantuan amount of student loan debt), studying anatomy, developing my graphic novel idea, or finishing my way over due short film. 

When I think of all the things I could or should be doing, it makes me even more exhausted... especially now that my free time is limited. 

Sorry for the rant, but does anyone else feel this way? What did you do to overcome?

afr0taku

Half Human/Half Dragon Spirit | Monk

{LEVEL 0 | STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0}

The Pilgrimage of afr0taku

"Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence."

-Henry David Thoreau

I'm not in your situation as such, I don't go to work so I don't have that taking out of my day.  But I did deal with what was basically non-circadian rhythm for a while (My body clock was working on a 26-28 hour day, instead of 24).  So for me polyphasic sleep was pretty much my answer to lack of energy for a year and a half.

Now though, I just work with a nap a day.  But by nap I mean about 30 minutes of rest.  Not enough to go into REM.  I'm looking for the study on it now, I know I had it here somewhere.  In the meantime, this article from the Wall Street Journal covers the basics.  http://tinyurl.com/lpex2ak

Other culprits can be things like dehydration, a deficiency in your diet, lack of activity in your day.

The thing I commonly tell friends who complain to me about waking up from naps still tired is that they're napping too long.  The minute you go into REM, your body thinks you're shut down for the day, so it starts doing what bodies do and fixing itself up.  When you jolt it out from there, it's understandably unimpressed with you and demands to finish it's job.

I hope you find a way to sort it out.  Tiredness is not fun. 

• Like 1

“Freedom is what we do with what is done to us.†~ Jean-Paul Sartre

Back on form next challenge

Thank you, Uberleben. I'll definitely take your advice because I do tend to nap fairly long when I do so.

Also, I'm hoping that when I become more consistently active, my energy will soar.

Thanks again!

afr0taku

Half Human/Half Dragon Spirit | Monk

{LEVEL 0 | STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0}

The Pilgrimage of afr0taku

"Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence."

-Henry David Thoreau

I feel overwhelmed by everything that I have to do all the time, but whenever I actually get the time to do them I just spend it sleeping. I feel this sense of urgency and a feeling that every day I wake up is one day closer to death; every birthday is one more year I will never get back. I end up having a very unproductive life and focusing too much on the one or two things that I want to do for the day.

I think it's the continuously-developing perception of time. As one gets older, time seems to go by faster, as that certain chunk of your life (say a year) becomes a smaller ratio compared to your whole life with every day you are alive. A year would seem like forever to a four year-old, as it's actually a quarter of his/her life, but for a 50 year-old, meh, just another year. I feel a lot more patient now than when I was 20, but I also feel like I'm wasting my life.