Behold! My log of battle. Also accountability

Right, Hi everyone! I've been lurking around for sometime now. I haven't posted anything definite because I have been planning for an impending travel adventure (which is now in progress as of yesterday!) and because of a rather unhealthy dislike of trying new things and leaving my comfort zone. Now however I'm on the other side of the world and as far from my comfort zone as I've ever been in my measly 18 years of life, so I figure what the hell, I may as well leave the shattered remains of my zone in the dust.

So! I plan to avoid standard gyms because of membership fees as well as just a desire to try something new. And in the spirit of avoid weights, I've decided to adopt the playground workout that Steve posted about way way back. I've also recently become quite interested in Parkour, so I've added some things to keep up with that as well, namely quadrupedal movement, plant pylos and eventually wall handstands. This will also have the added effect of hopefully developing some self confidence at doing slightly strange things in public as currently, it makes me feel quite uncomfortable. Such things can only hold me back.

Anyways this is my battle log and I need all of your help! I really do struggle with accountability so having the occasional questioning as to my progress would be fantastic as to helping keep my with my eye on the various goals that I've sent for myself.

As of currently, despite thinking of myself as relatively in shape, I've done this workout twice and it has destroyed me both times. Current goal is to get to a perfect circuit with 10 reps of each exercise all with beautiful form.

As a not fitness related goal, I want to explore eating healthy (as much as possible) while on the road and for cheap. I also want to work on my social skills, ie approaching people, initiating/carrying on exciting conversations and maybe even *gasp* flirting in small healthy doses.

This shall continue for the next week until I come up with a fantastic challenge plan for my first six week level up ever!

Bam, there it is! I shall keep you lovely folks updated! Cheers!

• Like 2
"If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there"

LOL - OK. I am following your thread.  Let me know what we can do to help!! 

I'm also working on assassin sort of things - working up to a handstand etc.  I've been surprised at how badly my fitness lapsed when I started my bodyweight workouts for parkour, but I'm committed to being able to MOVE in my environment with some grace.

For foods - stop by the Vegetable Challenge (link in my signature) for ideas.  :positive:

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Hey Xanos! I'm definitely subbing, been looking out for you since your into post. Look forward to seeing what you get up to, and I'm ALL UP for the accountability thingy. :encouragement:

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I'll throw my hat into keeping you accountable. I'm sure your going to have a great trip and really enjoy everything. Hopefully you'll get started with meeting new people soon from my own experiences with travelling (I get sent around a bit with work) there are some great people out there and all you gotta do to find them is walk up to someone and say hi you'll usually get a good response.

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

Alrighty so here we are at day two!

It was pretty splendid if I do say so myself. Pushed myself through the good old bodyweight workout and then also did some extras. I'm currently still struggling with the issues of pullups. Currently I can do about four before I fail and bail hardcore. In the meantime I shall be going til failure and then resorting to negatives in order to finish the set. That seemed to work pretty well.

So I managed to complete that workout quite early in the morning, but by about 1:00 I was feeling restless and wanting to go do something. So, I'm very proud to say, I went out and did some sprints, climbed a beautiful tree, and then jumped down from it and found something new. I found these series of posts about a three feet high and had the thought of "Oh gosh, you know what would be epic? Jumping from one to the other." And so I did. Or attempted to for about half an hour which involved many falls and bizarre balancing acts which got me some weird looks. In the end though, I'm proud to say I made it around the first corner, which was ridiculously hard as balancing on the post long enough to turn to get to the next one proved tricky.

But I did it! And that moment, was a thing of beauty I shall savour. I think I'lll chalk that experience up as my very first successful parkour--esque experience.

So that was my day! I realize this doesn't exactly full under the standard battle log issue, but I think it'll work for me. I think I'll call it the Guzzi style of battle logs, hopefully you/she don't/doesn't mind me copying the form :) XD

• Like 1

I think that's a great idea! But be careful... You've seen what happens, you turn your back for 5 minutes and it'll become a variation of the "Random/Beer" thread. Lol! :D

Sounds like a fantastic day, I'm looking forward to reading what else you get up to. And when you get a chance, you need to tell us all about where you are, what it's like. We (well, me at least) want to hear all the details of your adventure. :encouragement:

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Cool!  Actually, I'd like to get to 4 pullups!!  I'm doing assisted pullups now, using a machine at the gym.  So - you are well on your way to awesome.

Best of all - it sounded like you had FUN!  That will keep you going. 

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

Hey well its all about the journey there right Chris? I'm realizing as I struggle through all this fitness related stuff and just life stuff in general, that none of it would really exist or be any sort of entertaining if everything was easy right off the bat. Hard work makes stuff more satisfying. XD Even if in the middle of a failed pull up when you're just hanging there, legs kicking, it might not feel like it.

Oooookay so here we are at day five of being in Australia and day three of my workout schedule thingy-ma-doo and if I were to describe my day today, I'd probably go with sweaty and awesome.

I pushed myself a lot more in my morning workout and managed to pump out two circuts of that good ol playground workout instead of one. Minus the pullups though, I managed six of those, split into two, but hey it worked.

Later in the day, I also attacked the posts once again. I wish I could post a picture to give you guys an idea but I only have an ipad and it won't let me upload or convert the files. Anyways, I totally aced them and made it all the way around to almost the third bend on the first try. Yesterday when I did them I struggled to get past the first. Anyways, I nearly got to the third bend, fell off and went "Right, that was way too easy. I'm going to do it again, this far or I got twenty five push ups." So I went at it for another half an hour aaaaaaaand...

I did the push ups. XD Must have been beginners luck getting that far. Regardless, I'm still aiming to kick ass and get to the end.

Also, on a more personal note, I booked another week of lodging at a hostel down on the Gold Coast. Not having to wonder where I'll sleep is always nice (: And hopefully I'll learn to surf down there too!

And that was my day! Thanks for all the support guys!

Ps, I'm currently working on my six week challenge plan, cause thats coming up real soon! Do you folks have all your sorted out already?

• Like 1

...if I were to describe my day today, I'd probably go with sweaty and awesome...

^^^EPIC! :D

Sounds great, you're totally kicking ass! Re: photos, have you downloaded Tapatalk? You can use that to upload photos without having to do anything at all. I use it on my iPhone.

I need to investigate Tapatalk as well. 

I'm kinda imaging the playground area, but pictures are always welcome at NF.  Funny pics doubly so.

Yes, I have my challenge goals done.  At Christmas time, I roughed out the year.  I'm a huge planner!!!  The challenges shift a little as they come up but this is the rough outline:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/41673-chris-tiens-quest-for-the-mal-ravenne/

Not a whole lot to report today. Twas a resting day. Also the weather is taking a turn for the worse and just in time for the start of my first six week challenge :/

Anyways, on the upside, I have pictures thanks to the wonderful Tapatalk thingy. Thanks Guzzi (:

Posted Image

This is my gym. It's pretty.

Posted Image

This is that pesky series of posts I was talking about. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'll get to complete my goal of reaching the end before I leave on tuesday. It's supposed to keep on raining and I'd rather not slip and die.

Posted Image

And then this is a tree I climbed! I think it looks delightfully attractive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guys today was absolutely fantastic start to my first six week challenge. So excited!

Morning workout went great! I pumped out 7 pull-ups this time which was a new all time record. (Go me)

And best of all, just in time for me to leave tomorrow, I got to the end of those damn posts. It felt amazingly satisfying. I'm looking forward for what my next self appointed challenge will be. Possibly learning to surf!

• Like 2

Alrighty! Well today was interesting to say the least. I've changed locations which, while exciting, meant I had to find a new playground and stuff to play on. Sadly, after the splendour of my last one, this feels a teensy bit like a downgrade. No giant towers of rope and beauty, no magnificent trees waiting to be scaled, no short posts bathed in the sun streaming across the beach. It's just a slide and some swings surrounded by buildings.

Oh well. I did it and that's what matters!

Tomorrow I'm also have a two hour surfing lesson and I'm totally counting that towards my cardio.

Surfing was totally awesome and a killer workout. I wish I could turn it into a regular thing but board rentals are painfully expensive. I think later down the line when I need a job and a place to live for longer than a week at a time I shall buy a board and take up surfing. But for now it just isn't quite practical.

Ooookay update time! I haven't posted in a little while because the place I'm staying at doesn't have internet and it's difficult to find a decent connection that I don't have to buy something to get. Also, my iPad keyboard (an external one like a laptop) has apparently crapped out on me after a week and a half of being the best thing I've ever bought. :/ so that's a bit of a bummer. Now everything has to be typed via old fashioned touchy iPad internal keyboard.

Other then that though, everything had been progressing along remarkably well. My first six week challenge has been going swimmingly. I'm loving the workouts and the 30 minutes of random parkour exploration have been a blast. I've been working on kong vaults and recently I spent some time trying to figure out a parkour roll. That's uh, still in the works.

The conversation goal has been going well too with just a few slip up days of 3/5 or 4/5 but over all, muy bueno.

Also on top of that, I watched a fantastic video by apex movement about just playing around throughout your day and I've been working on making that a part of life. It's a great thing and I forgot how much fun it is just to randomly climb up something or balance a long a ledge just because it's there. Awesome stuff.

And that's it really. I'm hoping my keyboard starts working again soon..

• Like 3

Cool!!  Thanks for the hint about Apex Movement - they do have some nice videos!