• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
momburntdinner

I'm having identity issues. HALP!

Okay, not really issues, but I'm having trouble deciding what guild to join.  I started "sharing" in the rebel guild OFFICIALLY in late March, but I followed the challenge for enough time where I'm past being a rebel and into being in another guild.  But I don't know which one, so I implore your help.

My main goal is to lose weight.  I've been going to the gym to strength train and I started jogging and following a modified c25k.  At the gym, I want to lift things.  Like I seriously want to lift REALLY HEAVY OBJECTS, and push my limits whenever I'm there.  But what I need to understand, is what is TRULY better for weight loss   Heavy and less reps, or less heavy and more reps?  I'm not worried about bulking up, I'm over that fallacy, even though my gym partner says if I lift the way I do I'll "bulk" -- he's a naive moron at times  (and I can say that because he's my bestie!)  While I lose weight I want to tone up my saggy body from my previous 130 pounds lost.  I have other things I want to do, and I want to find a cardio I love.  I can't say I love running yet but I'm trying to love it.  And I WANT to love it, which is why I'm doing it.  (My favorite cardio is swimming, however that's just not an option ATM.) If I had to prioritize my goals they would be

• Lose weight
  • Tone body
  • Get strong LIKE OX.

Okay, so what guild??  I"m thinking adventurer, but my mind wanders over to assassins... then again, being my size and needing to lose weight (I am 5'7" and 257 pounds) maybe adventurer is best?

1...2...3...HALP! GO!

• Like 1

Well assassins are of course the best guild ;) But Insanity is not crazy in saying that lifting weights is more warrior like. Assassins are mainly bodyweight (though some lift weights too) You can start out in one guild and then the next challenge switch to a new guild too.

What do you want to do in your next challenge?  Or rather, what are you going to focus on?  Or what activities will you do to achieve your goals?

There's no one right answer. And you can change your mind at any challenge.  Or even during a challenge. 

Since you say your main goal right now is to lose weight, I would suggest Adventurers.  Plus you are getting a very creative new guild leader there, and you will have fun!!

If lifting heavy really pulls at your increasingly strong heart muscles, Warriors would be my next suggestion.  Few reps at a heavy weight (free weights) is shown in some studies to increase your ability to lose fat and build muscle.

If you can't choose and want to pump iron, then look at Rangers.  Rangers do all the things. I've been 2 years with the Rangers, and I've been encouraged to do lots of different things.  You'll run into a wide variety of workout approaches there and find some great mentors (Cline and Librarian of Doom).

If you like bodyweight workouts and want to get strong and flexible, then Assassins might fit. 

There's no wrong choice.  I know you'll find great people in Adventurers and Rangers.  I don't know the other guilds as well, but I've found everyone to be helpful and working toward similar goals in slightly different ways. 

• Like 1

As for your size, I'm 5'5 1/2" and 297 lbs, and loving every minute of being an assassin.

But it's not like it's a final decision -- you are welcome to try out any and all of the guilds (one per challenge -- you can't guild hop in the middle) and see which one from experience you like the best.

I think Chris-Tien Jinn's way of looking at it is the best one - decide what your goals are for this next challenge, and do the next challenge there. Maybe you want to focus on weight loss first - that would be Adventurers. If you want to focus on lifting and let the weight come off a bot more on its own, that would be Warriors. I already plan to move around, so just pick what is right for the next 6 weeks, then re-evaluate. It is like GameFly - you can send the game back and get another one if you don't like it.

• Like 1

People can vary with their goals from challenge to challenge. It's just what you want to FOCUS on. Your MAIN goal.  Like Chris-Tien Jinn said.  If your #1 priority is weight loss/bodyfat % reduction then go with adventurers. Once you're on the right track there, you can hop into another guild that would specialize in certain exercises.

Me, I'm losing weight, trying to get stronger with my sledgehammer and kettelbells, working on pushups, walking, and working towards completing a spartan race.  My #1 though is weight loss- so I'm an adventurer first; although my fitness goals are all mixed.