• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

StarGazer

StarGazer Fights for a Win

For those of you who have been around for my various attempts at challenges, you are well aware that I have had a tendency to fall short. While on the early challenges this was entirely my fault (getting distracted by things like vacation), lately they have been far more out of my hands (injury, intense work stress, injury again, emotional personal stuffs). Basically, what I need to do right now for momentum building and for emotional reasons is to set myself up for a win. We are going simple as anything for this challenge.

So here goes:

GOALS

Long-Term Goal: Operation Get Back on the Field.

giphy.gif

With my stress fracture, things have been VERY slow getting back on my feet. I don’t have to wear that stupid walking boot anymore, but I do still have much progress to make before I can get back on the ultimate frisbee field. I mean, I was walking around a bunch on Sunday doing errands and going shopping and when I got home my foot was not happy with me. I had clearly pushed it (though not too far). The trouble is that while out and about, nothing felt wrong. This worries me because it makes it all too obvious that while I need to be pushing myself, if I push too far I might not feel it until it is too late. So overall I am slowly moving forward and I hope that my challenge goals help me do so.

Fitness Goal 1: Operation Walk It Off.

giphy.gif

To help push myself, but not overdo it, I will work on going for walks around my neighborhood. I will start with infrequent short walks (~1 mile 3x/wk) and progress to longer and more frequent (I want to set what I would like to be doing by the end of the challenge, but this will really depend on how my foot is holding up after my walks). While I REALLY want to start running again, I feel like I need to work on being able to walk around without concern about doing too much before I will be ready for that, so I am NOT allowed to run until after this challenge no matter how well things are going. So if I tell you that I ran and it wasn’t because of something reasonable like zombies or velociraptors, you are to give me complete crap about this. And yell at me. A lot.

Fitness Goal 2: Operation Get Up Get Down.

giphy.gif

I want to do pull ups. I have been working on this. I am going to still be working on this. To this effort, I will do either 5x5 inverted rows or 5x5 negatives 3x/wk. Despite really sporadic work on this recently, I’ve gotten myself to be able to get myself from hanging to my arms being at about 90 degrees. Honestly figuring out how to get anywhere from just hanging has been the hardest bit so far - I was an expert at only being able to move about an inch for months before it just clicked. Now it’s really about the consistency and building up strength. I doubt if I will get there during the challenge, but the consistent work will be enough for a win even if I can’t pull myself up any higher by the end. I need consistency back.

On top of this, I recently did a handful of bodyweight squats and was sore the following day. Inactivity gave me more of a setback than I was expecting, and I was definitely expecting to take a major backstep in fitness while recovering. On the days that I am working on my pull ups, I will also do bodyweight squats or lunges. I am not prescribing an amount because if I bounce back quickly I want more flexibility in the reps and sets to keep things challenging enough. I intend to start with 5x15 and if that is too easy, I’ll up the numbers.

Fitness Goal 3: Operation Hydration.

giphy.gif

This is in part connected to the April challenge in the Women’s NFA in which we are tracking water intake and sleep because they are something so many of us struggle with. I hate the part where when I am drinking plenty of water, I am constantly in the restroom, but in theory if I am more consistent with drinking enough this need to go so frequently will decline. I am especially bad about drinking enough water on the weekends. For the sake of consistency, I am going to stick with the minimum of 100oz that we are working with in the NFA and see how that works out for me. Weekends will be trouble, but I know I can do it. It’s just about building habits. And being hydrated is important to being healthy, so it is an important habit to build.

Life Goal: Operation Moving Forward.

Background: Houston is not the town for me. It has been good to me while I’ve been here (I’m selectively not remembering the intensity of the summer heat), but with the weather and the lack of terrain, I know it is not the place for me to stay. My job, while it has been good to me overall, led to some intense stress and anxiety for a solid 3 months during this most recent busy season. I am done with that and I need to work on moving on. The trouble with this is that I don’t have a career path. I don’t know what I want to do with my life. I’ve been doing “for now†jobs and while they have helped rule out some career paths, they haven’t helped light the way on something I would feel good about doing. All I know is I want a job that pays me well, isn’t crazy stressful, and allows me to live and enjoy my life outside of work. And probably other things, but that is off the top of my head just now.

The other trouble is that I don’t know where I want to go. I mean, I want to move somewhere with seasons. Somewhere where there is actual terrain (highway overpasses do NOT count as terrain despite the elevation change on some of the crazy ones here). Part of me wants to move back to the east coast somewhere say, North Carolina or higher. Part of me is remembering my summer a few years back in Boulder, Colorado and thinking that I really loved being out there. But all I really know is that I am afraid that especially having been here for almost 6 years and wanting to have seasons, that I’ll decide I don’t like winter if I go someplace that gets too cold in the winter and I’m afraid that if I don’t go far enough north then I’ll still hate summers and be grumpy pants. And that no matter where I go, unless I’ve got nerdfriends there, I probably don’t know anyone. This is very anxiety provoking because while being somewhere new is exciting, I am very slow to make new friends. I can be a bit of a homebody and I’m generally quiet and shy. I am not particularly open. As a result, while I have many people that I know, I have very few who I would consider my good friends. So knowing no one scares me.

Goal: Anyway, so the goal here is to do whatever I need (lists, charts, weather maps, whatever) to narrow this problem down some over the course of this challenge. I don’t have to have everything figured out, but it will help tremendously moving forward if I am able to figure out the area that I would like to be in or even a broad career path. Something to help narrow things down. Also, as I am daunted by this task, any help or advice from my fellow nerds would of course be so very welcome!

TL;DR

Fitness Goal 1: Walk increasing distances & frequency, starting at 1mi 3x/wk

Fitness Goal 2: Pull-up work (inverted rows/negatives) and squats or lunges 3x/wk

Fitness Goal 3: Hydrate - drink 100oz+ daily

Life Goal: Figure out something (physical location or career direction) to help moving forward as I plan to move from Houston

Wish me luck! I need this win and will consider this a win if at the very least I complete my fitness goals with Goal 3 being met for 75% of the challenge. I’ll let you know when it is set up, but I am going to have a spreadsheet to track what I’ve done. I’ll link it for you guys so you can keep tabs on me and yell at me when I fall short. But also so that if I’ve not been posting much you can still see if I am following through on my goals

• Like 5

You typed something wrong in your first post, " Those of you who know me, know I fall short" Wrong! Despite having to wear a foot brace, you  still had a challenge and did a good job with it. Some people would have been discouraged and just given up. And now you have a smart sensible post injury plan. Not falling short. I say blegh to that :)

Looks like another great challenge 

• Like 3

Whoohoo! You've got this! I like the flexibility you've added to your pull ups goal. 

Your life goal is a biggie! So many options! I don't know what I have to offer in the way of a plan of attack, but I've lived in 16 states and I've been to all 52 (50? 54? I should probably google this. I should know how many states there are), so if you want any first hand tips/info I'd be happy to help!!

I've moved around a bit and lived north of Boulder (Greeley) and lived in the Mid-Atlantic (Baltimore). For my last move we took a week or so of vacation to various cities on our candidate list. When we felt like Minneapolis what the right place we came back a couple times during different times of the year. We spent some time in each city doing some tourist stuff but we also made sure to rent a car and just drive around, look at houses, walk in a grocery store (groceries are important to us).

It may not be perfect for everyone but it was really effective for us.

Yay for getting the boot off :D 

I know how it feels to want to do more stuff but not being able to because of injury, it sucks! So try not to push it but be pleased you can go for walks :D I found negatives more useful than inverted rows I think when I went and finally managed to grab that all elusive pull up!

Best of luck, I'll be keep an eye on your spreadsheet ;) 

You FEEL like you'd do well in Colorado to me. That's probably not a very helpful statement though.

I am very excited that you're going to be working on pull-ups.

• Like 1

Good luck with your challenge, it sounds like you've got a good solid start!

Thanks! I've been ready and had this all written up... Monday. Testing out some of the goals this week so I will be ready to tear into it next week!

well... I don't believe in luck :)

you got this girl :D

<3

You typed something wrong in your first post, " Those of you who know me, know I fall short" Wrong! Despite having to wear a foot brace, you  still had a challenge and did a good job with it. Some people would have been discouraged and just given up. And now you have a smart sensible post injury plan. Not falling short. I say blegh to that :)

Looks like another great challenge 

Thank you for the vote of confidence. When you're in the thick of things, it is hard sometimes to see anything other than "I AM SO FRUSTRATED WITH THIS I COULD JUST EXPLODE!" I'm not doing all that I want, but I have done well in spite of my limitations :)

Whoohoo! You've got this! I like the flexibility you've added to your pull ups goal. 

Your life goal is a biggie! So many options! I don't know what I have to offer in the way of a plan of attack, but I've lived in 16 states and I've been to all 52 (50? 54? I should probably google this. I should know how many states there are), so if you want any first hand tips/info I'd be happy to help!!

As I narrow things down, I'll definitely ask you what you can tell me about the areas I'm looking for :) Gather ALL the info!

Goodbye boot, hello new challenge. A fresh start. Yes, you must walk before you can run. Subbed.

More like good riddance, boot! That was annoying to say the least.

I've moved around a bit and lived north of Boulder (Greeley) and lived in the Mid-Atlantic (Baltimore). For my last move we took a week or so of vacation to various cities on our candidate list. When we felt like Minneapolis what the right place we came back a couple times during different times of the year. We spent some time in each city doing some tourist stuff but we also made sure to rent a car and just drive around, look at houses, walk in a grocery store (groceries are important to us).

It may not be perfect for everyone but it was really effective for us.

I can see how in determining something more permanent that would be a great way to go about things. (Un)fortunately I am not in a position where I am necessarily finding someplace to settle long term. I am single and have no idea what I am doing with my life. This lends to much flexibility. And I know that I do NOT want to be in Houston next winter to face another busy season at work, so my intention is to find something new by late summer early fall if I can. Doesn't really open the window for visits in various seasons.

Yay for getting the boot off :D 

I know how it feels to want to do more stuff but not being able to because of injury, it sucks! So try not to push it but be pleased you can go for walks :D I found negatives more useful than inverted rows I think when I went and finally managed to grab that all elusive pull up!

Best of luck, I'll be keep an eye on your spreadsheet ;)

Thanks for the input - I've heard that from a few people, so I am intending to focus on doing negatives. I just know that some days I will not have it in me to do so (they feel so much more daunting to face) so having an alternative that is still in line with the goal seemed a good plan to me.

You FEEL like you'd do well in Colorado to me. That's probably not a very helpful statement though.

I am very excited that you're going to be working on pull-ups.

While in and of itself that is not the most helpful statement, the fact that I've received the same or similar from various people who know me at varying levels gives it much more strength. Heck, I was talking to bigm about this and hadn't said where just that I wanted someplace with seasons and terrain and his unprompted suggestion was Colorado. Seems that there is some vibe about me that seems it would fit well in Colorado. :)

You and me are in the same boat, lady. Single, don't have a career path, and looking for seasons. Of course... I've already quit my job because my busy season is summer and I can't bear to do that again, so I'm taking the "easy" way out and going back to Alaska to hang out with my family for a while. I'll probably stay in Alaska for a year or two if I can find a job that sounds interesting/pays well enough (not that Alaska has more seasons than Oregon... but at least it has winter), but Colorado and North Carolina are actually both on my list of places to look next too. Twinsies! I know all this isn't very helpful, but I can totally sympathize and if you ever need somebody to lament to/with, I'm always here for you!

Subbing with the full knowledge that you will complete this challenge!

PS: All relocating Nerds should redirect themself's to the mid-west (specificaly the St. Louis area).  The seasons change on a daily basis here!

oh, and Glitter bomb

Sue_%26_Glitter_-_Season_3.gif

woot, this covers both glitter and gif from this mornings chat....muhahahahahahahahahahaha

PS: All relocating Nerds should redirect themself's to the mid-west (specificaly the St. Louis area).  The seasons change on a daily basis here!

Uhhhhhhh. No. That's not on the list. If I have to move to the mid-west I'm going to Wisconsin to hang with Haikoo and ColdBoot and eat cheese.

Uhhhhhhh. No. That's not on the list. If I have to move to the mid-west I'm going to Wisconsin to hang with Haikoo and ColdBoot and eat cheese.

But I need Nerds here to make this place better!!!

But I need Nerds here to make this place better!!!

This is not helping your case. There needs to be good stuff (aside from you alone) to entice the nerds. Needing nerds to make it better doesn't sell St. Louis.

• Like 1

This is not helping your case. There needs to be good stuff (aside from you alone) to entice the nerds. Needing nerds to make it better doesn't sell St. Louis.

^ This

Nothing sells St Louis!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like YOU'RE the one that needs to move. Obviously I don't have enough nerds in Portland, so why would I want to move somewhere else to be nerdless?

• Like 1