This challenge, I'm switching to the Assassin's Guild after having been a Ranger for nearly two years.  Being in NF and a member of the Ranger's Guild kept me more or less sane during some rough years.  I didn't lose a lot of weight, but I never gave up.  And once I started getting serious about bodyweight training, I've started making some major improvements!

Some reading and soul-searching has prompted me to switch guilds. 

I'd initially started with bodyweight training with the idea that I'd start to lift free weights or dumbbells once I got a solid base in squats, pushups, and lunges.  Then, looking over new free weight programs, I realized that I wanted to keep going with more challenging body weight routines!!  I totally salute people who do CrossFit, but I don't want to join them right now.  It looks like work and not fun.  I need fun.

When I accidentally found the old article on parkour (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/08/12/the-definitive-guide-to-parkour-for-beginners/), I felt like I'd come home.  As a kid, we used to pretend that the ground was lava, and you had to find a way to cross from one point to another without touching it.  We did the same game with my daughter while she was small.  Wow!!  I'd been associating parkour with the flashy moves that you see in YouTube videos.  To find out that there is much more to the sport - and the philosophy - was eye-opening.  

To this day, I practice flowing and efficiency.  I'll walk through a crowd going the "wrong" way to see if I can do it without bumping anyone (and I usually can).  I am constantly surprising people who don't see or hear me come into a room.  Instead of viewing that as a problem with my lack of charisma and "presence" --- let's turn it into an example of why I really am good at going where ever I need or want to go - and why I often don't follow the beaten path - both literally and figuratively.

So,  here I am.

My goal for the YEAR is to reduce body fat percentage down to the "normal" or "acceptable" range of 31%.  I'd like to get it lower in subsequent years.  But one step at a time .... 

I'm calling this the Quest for the Mal Ravenne.  The golden lioness is the ideal me, something to be uncovered through dedication and search.  

For this challenge, my goals lead me further to this ultimate goal.  This challenge is Equipping for the Journey.  

Fitness Goals
1) Deaddrop Drills (+1 STA, +1 DEX, +1 WIS)
Spies often leave things for contacts ... or have to find drops from compatriots.  I'm going to geocache!  I introduced my brother and nephews to geocaching, and we had a gentle competition going to be the first to find 100 geocaches.  My brother died before either one of us claimed the prize - so I'm going to finish it in his honor.  That's only 13 caches left to find - so a couple per week is feasible.  (My geocaching handle is grinningcollie if anyone wants to friend me.)

2) 35% Body Fat (+1 STA, +1 CON, +2 STR, +1 DEX)
That's a drop of 1% this challenge, which should be very reasonable.

To do it, I'm continuing with body weight workouts M, W, F and cleaning up my diet.

I'm doing the Academy body weight workout 4 starting Sunday.  That's challenging enough that, following progressions, I'll be hard pressed to do exercises well.  And I'm using the assisted pull up and dips machine. My goal is to keep reducing the amount of assistance weight by 10 pounds per week.  I'm currently at 95 pounds.  By the end of the challenge, that would be down to 35 pounds!!

I'm following the NF diet and am at stage 3: substituting freggies (fruits/vegetables) for processed carbs.  I'd rather focus less on what I'm "giving up" and more on what I'm adding.  So, I will increase daily freggie intake by one each week of the challenge.  Currently, I do a very poor job in this and eat 1 freggie per day.  So week 1 = 2 freggies, week 2 = 3 freggies, etc.

freggies

3) Be Perceptive (+2 WIS, +1 DEX)

Rangers are never off their guard - neither are assassins.  The two guilds are much alike in many ways.  

I will increase inner and outer perception by:

• wearing my contact lenses (increasing time 1 hour per week from starting point of 2 hours per day) so I have better peripheral vision and hence dexterity
  • meditating (increasing from 7 up to 20 minutes per day)

Life Quest (+2 CHA)

Hubby and I are - again - both job hunting.  My goal is to get - or make - a job this challenge.  If necessary, I will start a company again, taking a page from Arrow.  The best way to avoid chair checking managers is to be the CEO.  

Fitness Side Quest (+2 DEX)
Take a fitness class.  I am thinking yoga or martial arts, depending upon the results of job searching.  At the moment, there are NO martial arts studios closer than 40 minutes away - that's feasible in the summer but not the winter (small town - bad roads to everywhere).  But there is a new yoga studio in town.  If their class schedule works for me, I'd like to get in there and redevelop some body awareness.

Assassins Mini-challenge - Pistol Squats

• Flexibility:  +1 DEX
  • Balance: +1 WIS
  • Strength: +1 STR
  • Passed on week 4
  • Practice: +1 CON
  • Like 14

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Welcome. I think that finishing the 100 cache goal is a really amazing way to honor your brother. 

Looking forward to your challenge

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

This should be a good challenge, although we never know what life will throw at us!

I love writing collaborative stories, and this little snippet is my character's back story (abbreviated) as part of the RPG Fantatics challenge line:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/41673-chris-tiens-quest-for-the-mal-ravenne/?p=976960

Yesterday, I got OUTSIDE to run.  Yea!!  Today looks like another great day as well.  Here's to SPRING!!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

Yesterday, I got OUTSIDE to run.  Yea!!  Today looks like another great day as well.  Here's to SPRING!!

Hell yes to that! I can even see grass in the yard again.

Is there a kid anywhere that didn't pretend the ground was lava or some similar instant death substance? I mean, that's the only reason they put sand around the play structures, isn't it? So we know where the lava is.

• Like 4

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Exactly!!!  They might as well color it red. 

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

Thanks - although today's workout kicked my butt!!  New workout routine - so I guess that's a good sign that I've got some stretch goals going here. 

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

aha! here you are. Sneaky assassin.  Will your RPG character change a little to reflect this?

Hi there!!

I think there will be some character growth/change.  I see the assassin and the Ranger as not so much different in how they move and what skills they may have.  Different motivation, of course, but that's probably not going to affect the group story.

I tend to think of the Bard class as partly information finder/broker as well as an entertainer and someone who uses words as tools - or weapons.  (That interpretation is meshing with the search for the Mal Ravenne over the coming year.)  And I play the Wizard as an artificer - can make magical items and use them but doesn't throw spells on her own.  So that's still viable. 

I think weapons are going to change and, hence, fight tactics.  The staff will be replaced by daggers, for instance.  This weekend, I'm organizing my list of weapons, armor, spells and whatnot to keep the RP interesting.  I like setting limits for my characters when writing.   :playful:  I think we're going to have fun again. 

If any part of the back story needs to change, just PM me.   I'm used to editing!! 

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

I'm fallowing yu, again, of course!lol

And I will join you on the PvE veggies challenge!

Yea!!!!  I sat down with some cookbooks and plotted out the first few letters.  Hubby is very happy that we'll have something new for dinner. 

I'm going to pop over and subscribe to your thread too.  Gotta find everyone!

Some sort of Jedi .....

Looks like a great challenge. Looking forward to following your progress (and "competing" with you in the A-Z veggies PVP challenge). :playful:

• Like 1

... Freggies challenge? Can I has too?

• Like 1

"The woods are the only place I can see a clear path."

Pathfinder, Nord (Adventurer)

Measurements: 163 lbs (N 13.625, C 39, W 37.5, H 40, RB 12.75, LB 12.75, RT 20.5, LT 21, RC 13.5, LC 13.25)

BMR: 1562.5 Kcal

Challenge Level/Stats: Level 0 (STR-0) (DEX-0) (STA-0) (CON-0) (WIS-0) (CHA-0)

Rebel Levels: Level 3 (EQ 1)

Academy Levels: Adventurer/Level 1 (Nutrition - 1) (Caffeine - 1) (Sugar - 1)

Challenges: #1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines