• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nirvi

Nirvi seeks to stop throwing stones, and start building with them.

âWe can throw stones, complain about them, stumble on them, climb over them, or build with them.âž

William Arthur Ward

MAIN QUEST

• Lose 70lbs.

Starting weight (Jan. 15th): 208.6lbs

Current weight (May 12th):   190.1lbs

Total Lost: 18.5lbs   (27% of goal)

I started the paleo lifestyle on January 15th.  I will continue on eating right and nourishing my body.

THREE GOALS

1. Practice yoga or meditation at least 3x per week / +2 STA, +1 STR, +1 WIS, +1 DEX
  2. Consume 72oz of water each day (tracked by app "waterlogged") / +3 CON
  3. Continue with my exercises (bodyweight squats, overhead press, deadlifts, bench press) and gym visits / +2 STR, +2 CHA

LIFE QUEST(S)

• Spend a lot more time outside: now that it's getting warmer I wish to spend more time outside.  It can be hiking, geocaching, doing yoga, or just relaxing outside enjoying the sunshine / +1 WIS, +1 CON
  • Save as much as I can: from now until the end of May I am only scheduled to work 3 shifts (that can change, but I doubt it) as I have applied to Master's programs that start mid-May.  I need to save as much as I can for the summer, and spend what I have wisely / +1 WIS

MY MOTIVATION / THE 'WHY?'

• Stop throwing stones and start building with them: For the last two years I feel I have really grown as a person.  Two years ago I was stuck in a loveless relationship and as horrible as it was, the real tragedy was how much I actually gradually began hating myself for sticking with it.  I was my own worst enemy, and I was throwing stones at myself and my dreams instead of breaking out of the harmful relationship.  My confidence fell, and I didn't apply myself in anything: my job, school applications, studying to succeed at the MCAT, and so on and so forth.  I began building back my self confidence after the relationship ended, but it was a hard and rocky road back to self-love.  When I finally loved myself again, I allowed myself to find love.  Now I am in a very supportive, nurturing, and loving relationship and looking to "build" upon my confidence even further.  I have been setting positive goals for myself - like getting healthier, treading lighter, and finding new hobbies.  Slow and steady wins the race, and I am determined to focus on, and spread, positivity along the way.

I will try to post daily updates here (food I am eating, my water consumption, yoga sessions, etc).  I will also have a "daily challenge" that I will post, because every single day something can be completed or worked on, and I need to start holding myself accountable!

• Like 4

I applaud you for recognizing that self-love is the first step in the right direction, it definitely is the hardest thing to do, esp. getting over all the self-hate and bitterness.

Good luck with your challenge!! :)

I love how you have a main quest! I love the fact that you're loving yourself with a positive light even more, though. :) You're so inspiring! Good luck, I'm looking forward to keeping up with you this challenge! 

Thanks a lot!  :)

I know it's four days early, but I am going to start my daily challenges from this day forward, so I have some accountability!  

04/10/14 Daily Challenge: Work on, and try to complete, personal statement for graduate application.

• Like 1

Hi :) Having just gotten through my Grad schooll applications and a period of intense self growth, I admire your courage and am looking forward to watching you succeed :) :)

Thank you all!  I did not complete my daily challenge and probably won't today because...

I just found out I was accepted into my first choice for graduate programs!  It's SO crazy how quickly things can change.  I have a very large weight off of my shoulders now.  For now I am holding off on applying to any more schools :)

Now with my courses starting mid-May, I might have to add another life quest of doing well in my orientation courses :P

And how about this for odd (a sign, maybe?): I came home from the gym (~5min from my house) and hear on the police/EMS radio (I am an EMT) that a man just collapsed at my gym - I just missed being there to help.  Coming home from the mall (right after I got the call that I was accepted into graduate school!) only an hour ago I saw a pedestrian get hit by a car on a very busy highway (Route 1) so of course I stopped and assisted.  Pedestrian was conscious, alert, and oriented, but not mobile so there wasn't much I could do without my EMS supplies but provide comfort and small care while EMS was enroute.

Today's been a nail-biter... I think I am going to have a glass of wine and call it a night... if life allows me ;)

• Like 1

❝We can throw stones, complain about them, stumble on them, climb over them, or build with them.❞

William Arthur Ward

MAIN QUEST

• Lose 70lbs.

Starting weight (Jan. 15th): 208.6lbs

Current weight (April 09th): 194.4lbs

Total Lost: 14.2lbs (20.3% of goal)

I started the paleo lifestyle on January 15th. I will continue on eating right and nourishing my body.

THREE GOALS

• Practice yoga or meditation at least 3x per week / +3 STA, +1 WIS, +1 DEX
  • Consume 72oz of water each day (tracked by app "waterlogged") / +3 CON
  • Continue with my exercises (bodyweight squats, overhead press, deadlifts, bench press) and gym visits / +2 STR, +2 CHA

LIFE QUEST(S)

• Spend a lot more time outside: now that it's getting warmer I wish to spend more time outside. It can be hiking, geocaching, doing yoga, or just relaxing outside enjoying the sunshine / +1 WIS, +1 CON
  • Save as much as I can: from now until the end of May I am only scheduled to work 3 shifts (that can change, but I doubt it) as I have applied to Master's programs that start mid-May. I need to save as much as I can for the summer, and spend what I have wisely / +1 WIS

MY MOTIVATION / THE 'WHY?'

• Stop throwing stones and start building with them: For the last two years I feel I have really grown as a person. Two years ago I was stuck in a loveless relationship and as horrible as it was, the real tragedy was how much I actually gradually began hating myself for sticking with it. I was my own worst enemy, and I was throwing stones at myself and my dreams instead of breaking out of the harmful relationship. My confidence fell, and I didn't apply myself in anything: my job, school applications, studying to succeed at the MCAT, and so on and so forth. I began building back my self confidence after the relationship ended, but it was a hard and rocky road back to self-love. When I finally loved myself again, I allowed myself to find love. Now I am in a very supportive, nurturing, and loving relationship and looking to "build" upon my confidence even further. I have been setting positive goals for myself - like getting healthier, treading lighter, and finding new hobbies. Slow and steady wins the race, and I am determined to focus on, and spread, positivity along the way.

I will try to post daily updates here (food I am eating, my water consumption, yoga sessions, etc). I will also have a "daily challenge" that I will post, because every single day something can be completed or worked on, and I need to start holding myself accountable!

Hello Nirvi, and very welcome to the Druids!

Congratulations on the changes you achieved in your life already as well as on the recent developments!!

You write about practicing yoga or meditation three times a week: tell me more. Yoga twice and meditation once? What kind of yoga and where; at home or at a studio?

It seems you have a good practice when it comes to going to the gym. What do you do there ? Do you mainly work out at home or a the gym, and how often do you go?

Namaste!

Hello Nirvi, and very welcome to the Druids!

Congratulations on the changes you achieved in your life already as well as on the recent developments!!

You write about practicing yoga or meditation three times a week: tell me more. Yoga twice and meditation once? What kind of yoga and where; at home or at a studio?

It seems you have a good practice when it comes to going to the gym. What do you do there ? Do you mainly work out at home or a the gym, and how often do you go?

Namaste!

Hello evenewbie,

I wish to do at least 30min of yoga 3x/week (ideally I would like to do 60min 3x/week, and am going to strive to get closer to that).  I follow doyogawithme.com and do a routine in my room (not at a studio).  Meditation will be whenever I feel I need it, but I currently do a 10-minute "decompress" session every night, so I am talking about long sessions of meditation - these longer sessions I tend to do outside as I lose focus inside too much (too much movement of people, animals, too many noises).   

At the gym I mainly do cardio and some weightlifting (whatever I can't do at my house with my olympic bar).  I don't expect my visits to increase and will probably drop since the weather is getting nicer and I will be doing more of my runs and walks outside on trails or in parks.  If it does, my weightlifting at home will increase.  I try to exercise once a day doing something at least from my list in the OP, and I am interested in the stronglifts 5x5 program.  I just have to get my squat form perfect and add flexibility to my hips/knees (born with a hip defect), as I am still on regular bodyweight squats, and it's a mental game for me to get myself to squat properly and force my hips/butt back.  The yoga stretches have been helping me greatly with that, though.

Hello evenewbie,

I wish to do at least 30min of yoga 3x/week (ideally I would like to do 60min 3x/week, and am going to strive to get closer to that). I follow doyogawithme.com and do a routine in my room (not at a studio). Meditation will be whenever I feel I need it, but I currently do a 10-minute "decompress" session every night, so I am talking about long sessions of meditation - these longer sessions I tend to do outside as I lose focus inside too much (too much movement of people, animals, too many noises).

At the gym I mainly do cardio and some weightlifting (whatever I can't do at my house with my olympic bar). I don't expect my visits to increase and will probably drop since the weather is getting nicer and I will be doing more of my runs and walks outside on trails or in parks. If it does, my weightlifting at home will increase. I try to exercise once a day doing something at least from my list in the OP, and I am interested in the stronglifts 5x5 program. I just have to get my squat form perfect and add flexibility to my hips/knees (born with a hip defect), as I am still on regular bodyweight squats, and it's a mental game for me to get myself to squat properly and force my hips/butt back. The yoga stretches have been helping me greatly with that, though.

That looks like a solid plan, and I think it's smart to work towards a goal and start "small", even though I think you have an ambitious workoutplan. Will you have a designated rest day?

That looks like a solid plan, and I think it's smart to work towards a goal and start "small", even though I think you have an ambitious workoutplan. Will you have a designated rest day?

Rest days will come when my body silently whispers that I need one.  I usually still walk calmly or at least stretch on rest days to facilitate healing.

04/12/14 Daily Challenge: Spend 40min+ outdoors today.  It's too gorgeous to be inside!

• Like 1

Completed!  :)

Rest days will come when my body silently whispers that I need one.  I usually still walk calmly or at least stretch on rest days to facilitate healing.

04/12/14 Daily Challenge: Spend 40min+ outdoors today.  It's too gorgeous to be inside!

Hooray for completed daily challenges!

Re: the 5x5, I love that program! Its a ton of fun!

Completed!  Spent ~1.5hrs outside doing my overhead presses and other exercises, and then playing with my pup.

04/13/14 Daily Challenge: Relax, and do a few stretches.

• Like 1

Completed!  Spent ~1.5hrs outside doing my overhead presses and other exercises, and then playing with my pup.

04/13/14 Daily Challenge: Relax, and do a few stretches.

Completed!  Since it was so beautiful outside today I decided to sit in my hammock and relax, and then I did a nice 40min yoga stretching session - but my yoga partner interrupted me a couple of times with some wet, sloppy kisses:

P7xyFJH.jpg

I LOVE your daily challenge idea; hope you don't mind if I borrow it!!

Fantastic way to keep yourself accountable :).

Borrow away; it's incredibly helpful!  

Happy first day of the challenge everyone!  Lets all start off on the right foot and have a successful first week.

I am starting my day off with "paleo coffee" - which I use a 1/2c cream of coconut/coconut milk creamer to sweeten - no additional sugars or anything needed.

Andddd bought myself a little "congratulations for getting into graduate school" gift: a FitBit One!  Saw it newly listed on a free online marketplace (blujay), brand new, for $59.  Can't beat that (it retails for $99)!  Can't wait to use it for this challenge, I should have it by Wednesday.

04/14/14 Daily Challenge: Get to bed earlier than usual, to wake up refreshed for work tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

As it stands right now...

• I spent an hour or so outside today, eating lunch and relaxing!  I needed it, as I am sure work tomorrow is going to be very stressful.
  • Drank 100oz of liquid
  • Watching "Gone With The Wind," and relaxing, and then off to bed early!
  • Ate 100% paleo:

Breakfast:

tumblr_n41wohYE421tqoijio1_500.jpg

Fruit salad.

Lunch:

tumblr_n41ws6poGM1tqoijio1_500.jpg

Veal salad with carrots & broccoli for dipping in homemade paleo ranch.

Dinner: Taco salad w/ loose meat, avocado, tomatoes & local paleo dark chocolate & cherry chili salsa, with plantain chips for dipping.

• Like 2