There's a Stranger in Town

Main Quest:

Stave off the cold embrace of death.  Or at least get strong enough to put up a good fight.

Goals:

1) Strength:  Three days a week, the Start Bodyweight basic routine.  To start with, I'm using the following routine:

Deep squats: 3x8

Negative pull-ups: 3x4

Decline pike push-ups: 3x6

Flat straight leg raises: 3x6

Diamond push-ups: 3x8

alternating with Elevated leg bench dips: 3x6

Inverted rows: 3x6

Planks: 45s

2) Endurance:  Three days a week, run no less than two miles.  This one's going to be tough, for two reasons.  It's still winter where I live, to be followed shortly by mud season (if you don't know what mud season is, you're lucky) (and it's pretty self-explanatory).  So I'm still not sure where I'm going to do my running.  Also, I hate running and have worries about my motivation to do it regularly for six weeks, but I really want to stick with it so I'm putting it in the challenge.

3) Adventure: At least once every week, go hiking/camping/climbing/skiing/kayaking/gold panning/something.  The details are entirely flexible, but it has to involve at least three hours of moving around outdoors.  Why three?  It's a magic number.

The astute reader will notice that the three goals add up to seven days of activity every week.  That doesn't leave much room for error, so I'm reserving the right to double up if I need to, so long as it comes out right for the week.  The plan is to be active every day, but I'm claiming full credit as long as the workouts get done every week.

Life Quest:

It's personal and private.  I'm taking this opportunity to do a thing, and I'll own up to success/failure after six weeks, but it's not something I want to talk about.  Apologies if that violates the spirit of these challenges.

Motivation:

I feel old, and I don't like it.

• Like 4

Looks like a great challenge. I am very intrigued by the secret goal! I see you have some running as a part of your goals. Are you training for an event? Sometimes, having something to train for can help push you to run more often/further than you would without a race looming ahead. A couple of other tricks to make running happen: run with a friend, run in beautiful places, or reward yourself for reaching weekly mileage goals. Good luck!

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Gold panning!  That's something I haven't heard of in a long while.  Good luck on your adventures and working on strength and endurance!

Level 3 Wild Elf. Druid at heart, with an Adventurer's soul.

STR4 | DEX2 | STA4 | CON7 | WIS7 | CHA5

Challenges: 1st2nd, 3rd | Current: --

*After a long hiatus, I am back and ready to work on myself!

LOSE 70LBS

Spoiler

"If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans."

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann

running? strength? adventures? 

you given any thought as to where you wanna end up when you are done?? you sound like a ranger to me!

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I like your goals, however i always caution in having too many days filled allocated to exercise.  You occasionally need some time to recover (especially if you're only starting off - you're going to have DOMS). If you do want to be active every day you could always do some active recovery - like stretching etc.

Good luck xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Looks like a great challenge. I am very intrigued by the secret goal! I see you have some running as a part of your goals. Are you training for an event? Sometimes, having something to train for can help push you to run more often/further than you would without a race looming ahead. A couple of other tricks to make running happen: run with a friend, run in beautiful places, or reward yourself for reaching weekly mileage goals. Good luck!

Sadly, I have no motivation at all for the running element, except that I'm not happy that I probably couldn't run much more than two miles at a time right now.  But that's a good point - maybe I'll look for a 5k in early June.

running? strength? adventures? 

you given any thought as to where you wanna end up when you are done?? you sound like a ranger to me!

Probably assassin, actually.  It doesn't show up in my training yet, but I have an enjoyment of motion (and stupid human tricks) that comes from the same mental place as parkour. 

I like your goals, however i always caution in having too many days filled allocated to exercise.  You occasionally need some time to recover (especially if you're only starting off - you're going to have DOMS). If you do want to be active every day you could always do some active recovery - like stretching etc.

Good luck xx

Fair point, but I think it's a good balance between challenging and manageable given where I'm at right now.  I've been doing enough miscellaneous bodyweight work over the past few weeks that I think I can transition into a real program without too much trouble.  The running could be harder, since I've been off for a few months; maybe I'll run a little bit today so I can get the worst DOMS out of the way before the challenge starts.  If I really need recovery days as the challenge progresses, I can make my adventures pretty low-intensity.

Your adventure goal is so awesome! I can't wait to hear about all your fun things!

Also, to get motivated for running you could try something like Couch to 5k, if you haven't already.  It basically slowly increases intentity each day until you're at 5k.  Or if you can do that no problem already, Couch to 10k also exists.  It definitely has helped with my running motivation in the past and I know a lot of people who have loved the program :)

Probably assassin, actually.  It doesn't show up in my training yet, but I have an enjoyment of motion (and stupid human tricks) that comes from the same mental place as parkour. 

YEssssss! :)

To help your running motivation, you might consider the Zombies, Run! app. I hate/hated running, too, and it actually got me to look forward to the next run so I could see where the story went. 

Don't forget to put in some kind of grading/tracking system so you can assess your progress as you go.

Bah, apps.  I'm just a caveman.  Your smartphones frighten and confuse me.  (I appreciate the suggestions and support, though)

Grading system is just how many days I do it.  Progress isn't a goal right now, just sticking with the plan for six weeks.  I expect to see some improvement, but I'm more concerned with committing to the routine.  I'm not going to set performance-based goals until I have a better sense of where I am and what happens when I exercise regularly.  That said, an unstated part of the goals is that I'm hoping to ramp up the difficulty as I go.  Move forward in the bodyweight progression, run faster and farther, climb bigger mountains, etc.  Nothing crazy, but I don't intend to keep it totally static for six weeks either.  If for some reason I don't feel like I'm making progress, my second challenge will definitely address that.

I love how much positive feedback I'm getting on the adventure goal.  You guys are awesome. 

I always say "grading is based on effort not achievement, achievement well come with sufficient effort"

(Well... I don't grade anymore... but that's what I DID say when I graded)

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Hello and welcome to Nerd fitness!

I'm Nuala, one of the assassins guild leader. Considering your training I have tagged your thread @scouts and @assassins, these tags will help you find people with similar goals as your more easily and will also allow guild members and ambassadors of theses guilds to find you and help you if you need some help with any of your goals.

If you want some advices on some BW exercises, feel free to ask us anything, here or even in the assassins general chat thread:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/46591-assassins-den-general-chat-thread/

I see you are interested in climbing (obviously a good choice :P) so maybe you would like to read the Climbing club thread:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40682-the-climbing-club-nov-2013/

Or the more general Climbing information thread:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/23097-the-climbing-general-thread/

I wish you good luck for your challenge! Don't be a stranger :P

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Great disappointment today.  I knew pull-ups were going to be hard, but it turns out I can't even do one anymore.  I can get most of the way up, but I can't quite get my chin above the bar, so I have to admit defeat for now.  I'll have to start with negatives and work my way back up.  Damn it.

But other than that, I think I've done all the groundwork for my challenge.  Ran 1.5 miles yesterday, which was brutal but not so much so that I'm going to dial the challenge down.  I've done at least a couple sets of all my bodyweight exercises, so I can put together a full workout plan over the weekend.  And I have some good plans for the adventure challenge.

But damn, that fucking pull-up.

Yeah, I'll try that too.  I used to be able to do at least 5-6 at a time, though upon further reflection that was longer ago than I thought.  I had had it in my head as something that I could still do, and it was disappointing to find out that I couldn't.  No great harm in the long run - the goal is to do an appropriate exercise in the progression, and there's nothing lost (except my pride) by finding out that's not the exercise I thought it was.

So... maybe I can do pull-ups?  I don't have a bar, so yesterday I was trying to do them on a tree branch, and I couldn't.  Today I grabbed the back of an outside staircase, and I could do two of them.  I don't think I was cheating, either - they felt like legit pull-ups.  So can I do pull-ups or can't I? 

I guess I'll count it, but I'll feel better about it when I can do them on the branch.  Since I promised to post a complete bodyweight routine before tomorrow, here goes:

Deep squats: 3x8

Negative pull-ups: 3x4 (still kind of up in the air about what I should be doing here, but I'll start with this)

Decline pike push-ups: 3x6

Flat straight leg raises: 3x6

Diamond push-ups: 3x8

alternating with Elevated leg bench dips: 3x6

Inverted rows: 3x6

Planks: 45s

Obviously, I'm hoping to do more as I go along.  I'll try to post an updated routine every week as I move forward in some of these progressions.  If I've been too optimistic here and I have to take a step back or do fewer reps, I'll post that too.  The important thing is to do some kind of appropriate exercise in each of these progressions.

I say you can do pull ups... and when you can do them on different grips (branches or stairs or monkey bars or or or) then you do bad ass pull ups ;)

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

• Like 1

Spoiler

Heh, I can't remember the last time I did a pull-up on a regular bar.  Maybe high school?

Psyched/anxious about starting my challenge tomorrow.  It's been a long time since I worked out more than sporadically, so I'm really hoping I have something left in the tank by the end of the first week.

I second everyone above... You can totally "do" pull ups :) is the branch kind of thick? The grip might be what's hindering you as opposed to your other muscles.

Sent from my "smart" phone using Tapatalk. I'm not sure if my phone is quite smart enough to write what I want... I may not approve this message.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines