Shukar and the Quest for Better Booty

Shukar

Last challenge was full of useful lessons, but not much running.  This Challenge I’m gonna work on putting systems in place to make sure that doesn’t happen again.

I'm Shukar, I'm a nerd in my 20s and run because I enjoy it. Nerd Fitness is my family and I’m glad to be able to share my journey toward a higher level me with all of you fine folks.

My last challenge was full of Horribleness, didn’t manage to hit all my workouts in the period but made a lot of progress on lifting properly and also on body maintenance. The rest will come in time with more focus, so let’s do that shall we?

Goal #1: Just Run.

How: Consistency is always my trouble with running. I have a training plan but I’ve been terrible at following it, I have a bad history of that. So the goal here is to just get out and run, heck even walk, often. Hopefully I can get in a long run most weeks, sprints most weeks, and some mid-length runs a few times, but honestly my goal is just to get out and do some dedicated “I’m moving to move not because my day requires it” activity in 4 days a week at a minimum. Anything beyond that I’m gonna consider a bonus, I need to build the habit more than I need to do any specific training.

Goal #2: Squat!

How: Pistol squats have been something I’ve been working on for some time, without much to show for it. To help with that I’m making them my focus this challenge, though I’ll be continuing my Streak and my 5x5 Lifting plan throughout as well. I’m planning to attack the pistol from the other direction! That’s right, from the bottom up. My approach here is to be two-fold. First I need to work on ankle mobility, if I can’t get into the bottom position and be stable there then I won’t be able to do the pistol, so that need addressing. Secondly I’ve heard that getting up from the bottom is easier than getting down into it so I’m gonna try some rolling up onto my foot and pushing up from the bottom position and see if that helps.

Goal #3: Mobilize!

How: Last challenge I read through Supple Leopard, it was a good read from which I learned many things. This challenge, in conjunction with my Squat goal above, I’m going to try and work my way through the mobilizations in the book and see where that can get me. My plan is to work from start to finish through that section of the book at a rate of about 3-4 mobilizations per week.

The name for this challenge comes from the fact I needed a name, and couldn’t come up with a good joke about squats and not knowing about them, so I went with a pirate themed joke instead.

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Day -4, Wednesday.

Breakfast was two chicken biscuits. Lunch was a chipotle burrito, much better than Monday real chicken quantities and fewer beans. Dinner was pita and hummus plus a doner kebab wrap that was very good. Today was a good improvement in terms of food quality I feel, learning some things about the week that will come in handy for next year. 

Listening today was Security Now. Todays lesson was that just because you can adapt the plan on the fly to accommodate for when people don't bother to notify you of things doesn't mean they won't find ways to make the whole plan unneeded without any explanation. 

Activity today included 6.2 miles of walking, and the Streak. Got 6h30 of sleep last night, almost done with this mess. Helped the wife try and figure out what to do about some bugs that got into the pantry, and ordered some nice sale movies on amazon; yes that's the extent of what I got done at home today.

Bis Morgen!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Hope this works!

The beautiful LWR and Thom put me in for this, so I am sharing it with you. I am inspired by the things you have achieved and challenge yourself with. I would like you to share some extra inspiration.

I have been nominated for this: http://rebellion.ner...quers/?p=950561
A positivity challenge.
I nominate you - to " post a post-workout photo, showing off what they're proud of. Maybe it's your killer biceps, maybe it's you doing that plank or handstand you've been working on, maybe it's your smile, heck, maybe you're not ready to post an actual photo of yourself, but you're pretty darn proud of your new spiffy gym shoes. Whatever it is, you have freedom to choose what you want to show off. My hope that in doing this people can focus on the good things that they like about themselves (and the individual has the freedom to choose what that is)."

Here's mine http://rebellion.ner...demon/?p=974538

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Are those like cake pops, or more like push pops?

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

It's an aerobic twerkout

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

tumblr_lwmenilijM1qdq5u6.gif

;)

I thought that was twerking, lol

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

I'm just curious if twerking can be combined with pistol squats. One of the instructors at my gym has us do pistol squats (or some pre-pistol-squat approximation) regularly, but his reaction to combining them with twerking would be hilarious, and then exasperated, and then probably "go climb the stairs 15 times" or something like that.

You lot, I just… wow. We shall see, I'm not sure I can do that so gracefully as Squidward there. 

Day -3 Thursday.

Breakfast was some eggs, chorizo, peppers, onions, potatoes, and cheese, mixed with shredded beef, and hot sauce. Lunch was some chicken and a shake. Dinner was a massive meat filled sandwich. Today was the last day of my hellishly long week at work, hooray!

Listening today was Security Now, and some music. Todays lesson was that sometimes you just really don't want to know the answer.

Activity today included 6 miles of walking, and the Streak. Got 6h15 of sleep last night, that's awful right there. Got nothing productive done around besides some software updates and trying, unsuccessfully, to get the wife's computer working properly again.

Bis Morgen!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Squat Pops are NF's version of Twerking - cooler and nerdier :)

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

Blaidd, nerd it up in here!

Kailer, Glad to here it!

Day -2, Friday (I zero index ok?)

Lunch was rice and avocado with crab, and a tempura shrimp roll. Dinner was a truffle mushroom swiss burger, some sweet potato fries, and some haystack onions from Smashburger. This weekend it's off to do some grocery shopping.

Listening today was Home Theater Geeks, and some music. Todays lesson was that you can't always get what you want.

Activity today included 4.3 miles of walking, and the Streak. Got 6h sleep last night, but it felt better than it has recently. Got a little work done around the apartment today, and went and had dinner and a movie with the wife. It was a good day.

Bis Morgen!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Prime, that's what makes them worthwhile.

Apfel, that's great timing! Thanks!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Day -1, Saturday.

Lunch was some chicken, some jalapeño poppers, and some milkshake. Dinner was roast beef, potatoes, carrots, and celery; plus some berry cobbler.

Listening was music. Today's lesson was that many things can be funny when they happen to other people.

Activity today included 1.4 miles of walking, and the Streak. Got 8h sleep last night, a good start on the road to recovery. Got some cleanup done, made a few calls, did a little meal plotting (no plan yet) and picked up some containers to get the pantry organized and free of beasties.

Bis Morgen!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Day 0, Sunday.

Lunch was a massively meaty sandwich, with bacon, and some soup from Potbelly. Dinner was a coconut chicken curry with some rice, some hot and sour soup, and some boston cream pie. We got meals planned out for the week, and I've even got a pork roast in the slow cooker right now for tomorrows dinner.

Todays lesson was that DNS is a slow system but it would be hell if it didn't work.

Activity today included 3.9 miles of walking, and the Streak. Got 6h45 of sleep last night, I just couldn't get back to sleep in the morning. Did some plotting on cleaning up the front room of the apartment and adding a chest freezer, long wanted but recently wife approved. Also did some work on trying to simplify my server setup at home. 

This week I decided it was best to cut my losses and focus on sleep and diet as best I could rather than sacrificing sleep to try and get in workouts that would ultimately suffer for it. This coming week though it's back on the wagon with the exercise.

Bis Morgen!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

sounds like some seriously awesome meals there :)

I have to sort my apartment out at some point too - but perhaps a life quest for another challenge - as my boyfriend and i will be consolidating our possessions when he moves in at the end of June. Chest Freezer sounds awesome - wish i had space :(

Good luck this week.

My challenge

Yup! Might copy a couple of ideas from the meals :) 

How is lifting, bodyweight and running working out for you? It seems a lot! (But I would like to try it out sometime in the future, so I am just curious.)

A Hobbit who wants to become an Elf - Scout - Level 3
STR: 2,75 | DEX: 4 | CON: 5,5 | STA: 2,5 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2,75
The journey of Tinessael 1

The journey of Tinessael 2

Tinessael's Challenge (ongoing)

Blaidd, hooray consolidating! Also, yeah chest freezer is gonna be awesome. :)

Tiness, Copy away, it's just as tasty if you make it too. :P So far, it's been a little over a week since I actually had the opportunity to workout properly and longer since I got all my workouts in a week, it was working well for me. The troubles I had were life related, too much work not enough sleep, not workout related from what I could tell. The lifting is a pretty simple beginner program twice a week, the running is something I've been doing for a while and is only really tough at most twice a week, and the bodyweight stuff I've been doing long enough that overall it's not much challenge to get through in any given day; just means the progress is slower which I'm ok with as long as it's progress.

Day 1, Monday.

Lunch was chicken and shrimp. Dinner was a bowl of sautéed kale, some thinly sliced squash that was supposed to get sautéed but mostly just came out soaked in oil and warm (not bad, just not what I was planning on having), and the italian pork roast. Dinner was good, hoping to carry the leftovers into tomorrow pad thai plans. 

Listening today was Latest in Paleo and This Week in Tech. Todays lesson was that it helps to be plugged into the right place.

Activity today included 5.5 miles of walking, and the Streak. Got 7h sleep last night, better but not great. Got some cleanup done around the apartment and figured out a couple puzzles of my DNS troubles with the server, still some left to play with though. Also made some progress on catching up with Game of Thrones, partway through Season 3 now.

Bis Morgen!

• Like 1

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Kailer, there's kale involved, it's always delicious.

Day 2, Tuesday.

Lunch was chicken, and then some ice cream. Dinner was pad thai, made with spaghetti squash, a goodly supply of veggies, and leftover pork roast all mixed together with sunshine sauce; I also finished off the ice cream in the freezer. Tomorrow night is gonna be leftovers night.

Listening today was Paleo Solution, Savage Lovecast, Cordkillers, and some back episodes of Security Now. Todays lesson was that if you stick to it you can get a lot done in a couple hours.

Activity today included:

• 3.7 miles of walking
  • Squats
    • 45x5
    • 95x3 easy
    • 135x5x5 noticed some shoulder stiffness if I moved my rotation beyond what I needed for the lift, need to address that
  • OHP
    • 45x8 grip was off, fixed that for following sets
    • 65x5x5 wrist started having issues after second set, by the end it wasn't feeling right at all.
  • Deadlift - went with 3 minutes between sets instead of 2 for these
    • 135x5 super easy
    • 185x5 the extra rest started showing it's benefits
    • 245x5 "Tough but fair" is the exact note from my log, to be more specific my grip started feeling wrong at the end and I felt like I might lose it on the last rep.
    • 135x5 decided to do a back off set I think they call it over in warrior land to help try and cement the good form I can manage easier at the low weight, and work on that grip trouble.
  • The Streak, tried working on rocking up into the pistol from the floor tonight, didn't work but I have a baseline at least. I'm concerned by how much I seem to be missing something at the bottom, I can't even hold it if I setup in a pistol position so I've got some work to do yet.

Got 6h45 of sleep last night. Did some extra cleanup around the apartment today, cleared a couple horizontal surfaces of clutter, built a shoe rack for the entryway, cleared out the kitchen and put away a bunch of pantry supplies in threaded glass to hopefully keep out the crawly things. All told a pretty productive day. Even watched some Game of Thrones and some Archer.

Bis Morgen!

• Like 1

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines