Anim07734: Adding Structure

Anim07734

I'm still deciding what I want to do with my life overall, but I at least have a goal for the next 5 months: at DragonCon this year, I must be able to do Nightcrawler true justice.  Last year was acceptable, but this year will be better.

To that end, and taking into account my progress last challenge, it's time to organize my workout and diet.

Challenge Themesong: Metallica - Fuel (edit: I'll save the other songs for another challenge)

Goals for this Challenge:

1: Start Tracking (Con +2, Wis +2) I've been flying by the seat of my pants for the past few months while I reacquaint myself with this "fitness" thing.  It's worked well enough, but it's taken me as far as it can.  I've started a spreadsheet to track body fat % and signed up for Calorie Count; turns out I have no idea how to properly feed myself, even after a Taco Bell run for dinner, I'm still 250 calories short of maintenance for the day and 25-30g of protein lower than I'd like.  I'm 5'6" and currently 147lb, but with ~18.5% body fat, so I'll spend the rest of this week uploading my regular meals and tweaking the recipes to hit my current targets of 2400 cal and 120g protein per day.  That should put me on solid footing to track my diet and the results throughout the challenge.

2: Workout Plan (Str +2, Dex +2, Sta +2) As much fun as "random workouts of whatever I feel like at the time" are, they make it difficult to track progress.  Time to pick a plan and go with it.  I'm starting at Level 2 of the Bodyweight Brigade workout plan, but should make it to Level 3 on some of the exercises this challenge.  Anything past that will follow the progression from Start Bodyweight.  Additionally, I plan to do 1-2 days of sprints or sports and a beach run of increasing length each week.

3: Grip Training (Str +2) I let a lot of my training slip while I was worried about wrist pain, but the doctors didn't find anything.  Plus not working out didn't make it hurt less, but starting back seems to have helped.  I'm now at the point where grip strength is a major limiting factors on my workouts, and it annoys me.  Plus Nightcrawler should be able to hang long enough to get a decent photo.  To reach that, I'll start with 5min of grip training every day, probably monkey hangs, and increase as I progress.

Life: Early to Bed, Early to Rise (Con +2, Wis +1) There are a lot of things I'd like to put as a life goal this time around (finishing my costume - with robotic tail, cleaning/organizing my closets, selling my old Magic cards, etc), but this one is really the most important.  Plus if I can get my sleep schedule back under control, everything else will become much easier.  The goal will be 8hrs of sleep per night and get up at 0600 every work day.

• Like 2

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

8hrs of sleep a night and walking up at 6am seems like a great life quest.  Best of luck!

Level 3 Wild Elf. Druid at heart, with an Adventurer's soul.

STR4 | DEX2 | STA4 | CON7 | WIS7 | CHA5

Challenges: 1st2nd, 3rd | Current: --

*After a long hiatus, I am back and ready to work on myself!

LOSE 70LBS

Spoiler

"If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans."

Desiderata, Max Ehrmann

Well after tracking actual nutrition for most of the past week (instead of just food for a "good" vs "bad" comparison), it turns out I really have no idea how much I'm eating any given day.  I'm averaging 150 calories and 30g protein low and all of my go-to recipes have some kind of deficiency.  Going to start by reintroducing breakfast tomorrow and see if that helps even things out, then adjust as necessary.

Got 5 workouts last week, but really only tracked the strength ones, so need to start writing down the runs.  And practicing monkey hangs.

But first, 10pm is bedtime so I can get up for work tomorrow...

• Like 1

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I may have broken dieting... turns out half of a Papa Murphy's family size deLite hawaiian is 900cal and 54g protein.  Need to look into some other varieties to see if I can get something equally tasty with more veggies.  And tomorrow I'll try replacing the OJ in my breakfast shake with water to try and free up some calories for more fiber and potassium, but if that works, I should be set for a while.  Still came in ~100 cal short for the day, but a spoonful of peanut butter for dessert put me at 125g protein for the day, so I'll call it good.

Volleyball today was maybe 30min of warmup, then I warmed the bench for all but the last 2-3min.  So I came home and did 5x 10 typewriter pushups for the Quiddich challenge.  Oh and did my grip practice first thing this morning after taking new measurements.  Not sure I trust them, as the scale is reading 1.8lb heavier than last week, even though I averaged almost 200cal low, but at least my waist doesn't seem to have changed much.  I'm going to have to break down and order an actual body tape to replace my sewing tape so I can start getting accurate muscle measurements and see how that's progressing.

9:30 now... think I'll do some reading then go to bed.

• Like 1

Papa Murphy's is probably the healthiest pizza you can get without making it yourself, but it is still pizza, so definitely not a good part of a cutting diet.  But since I'm currently trying to build muscle and don't care as much about weight gain, it has a viable place (think GOMAD, but tastier).  I'm also getting their thin crust version (deLite), which offers the same protein for ~2/3 the calories (900cal for a half).  The big thing is going to be making sure I get all my veggies between breakfast and dinner.

My phone decided to wake me up at midnight to let me know it was raining out and I should avoid flood zones.  Admittedly Florida is one giant flood zone, but I'm close enough to the ocean that I really only have to worry about storm surges (and you get 3+ days warning for those).  Immediately went back to bed, but the damage had been done; ended up snoozing the alarm for 30min this morning before dragging myself back into the world of the living.

Grip practice was much harder than yesterday, but that could be because I'm still tired or because it's day 2 of a new workout.  Just have to press on and see how things go.

I don't get normal people problems... Had chicken and veggies for lunch yesterday, which combined with my protein slurry for breakfast left me needing 1000cal, but only 13g Protein for dinner.  I ended up having leftover fried rice and reese's eggs (the best part of easter) to hit my calorie quota...

Got to play most of a game of volleyball yesterday; did pretty poorly, but so did everyone else on B-team, but wussed out on pushups for Quidditch.

15min snooze this morning; going to need to make a day to go to bed earlier and see if that helps.  Grip practice isn't getting any easier, but at least I'm doing it.  Strength workout tonight; currently working on an updated exercise progression (there are so many goals I want to work towards, it's hard to pick just a few).

Sorry, I'm really bad about checking the forums over the weekends.

Friday was good until I went drinking with friends from out of town, that put me ~600cal over for the day.  Got back on track saturday with half-gal of milk, then took a "fuck it" day sunday and ate nothing that deserves mention on a fitness site...

Workout-wise, friday was GtG pushups for the Quidditch challenge and saturday was one of the named crossfit workouts with a friend (who is apparently crazy).  Did my grip training both days, but failed to workup the motivation sunday.  Did get it in first thing this morning, so at least I'm back on track.

Sleep was very questionable over the weekend, since I installed WoW to try with a friend and stayed up far later than I should have trying different characters.  But I did manage to get up on time this morning, so it can't have been too terrible.

Big news for the week is that, according to my spreadsheet, I managed to lose 2lb of fat and add 2.5lb of muscle so far.  Only 12lb more (fat) to go!

• Like 1

Nah, it was just a failure to motivate myself.  I'm not pushing very hard (no where near failure), just trying to chug along consistently.

Tonight is a run day (haven't decided whether I want to do the 1.5mi trail run or sprints), plus GtG pushups for the Quidditch challenge, then grocery shopping.  My protein slurry/shake is working well as a breakfast, but I want to see if I can tweak the recipe to get some more vitamins/minerals.  Realized last night how easy it is to bake pork/chicken when you stop trying to make it fancy (put meat in pan, add seasoning, put meat in oven, start timer, do workout, timer buzzes, pull meat out of oven, put frozen veggies in microwave to steam, finish cooldown, food is ready), so I'll probably do that more.  May pick up more seasonings to add variety.

Tripped over a root during my trail run tuesday... would have been a perfect time to use the PK roll I've been trying to practice... instead I windmilled my arms and ended up scraping both knees... apparently I need more practice.  Otherwise it was a decent workout, especially the looks I got doing monkey runs (aka the quadrapedal gallop) on the track before my cooldown.

Got stuck at work late yesterday, so that ended up being my rest day for the week and strength training got pushed to today.  Grip training seems to finally be showing results: my max hold time is about the same, but I'm not requiring as much rest time between sets.  So far I've been doing 2-hand monkey hangs for as long as I can without failure, then resting for the remainder of the minute.  If I drop at less than 20s, I only rest the remainder of 30s.  This morning was the first time I managed the full 5min without a hold under 20s. Max time is still only ~40s on the first try, so I'd like to see some improvement there before I start trying one-hand holds.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines