• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Heidi

Heidi: How Happy to Be

Baked apples:

I have a clay deep dish - about 12" around and 4" deep.

Place sliced apples (I leave the skin on mine) in the dish until the dish is full or you are out of apples. Add 2 - 4 teaspoons Ceylon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, and one-half to 1 teaspoon ground ginger. Add 1-2 tablespoonfuls butter and 1 tablespoon Madagascar Vanilla. Stir.

Place in the oven and bake until done.

I have baked them for an hour at 350 (with a beef roast) and 45 minutes at 400 (with roast potatoes cooking on one side and pound cake on the other). I think the reason they aren't mushy is 1) clay bakeware 2)no added sugar to break down the apples 3)no added liquid.

Let me know if this works for you!

Can't wait to hear about the yard sale - I just know it is going to be a success!

• Like 1

Buy more stuff!

No, I won't. Putting it towards vacation. Think we are headed back to Colorado to Rocky Mt NP at the end of June. The extra money will go towards some fun things that we didn't do last year like rafting, horseback riding and off roading.

I will try the apples this week in my glass Pyrex. Don't have a clay dish but hopefully the no brown sugar will help from keeping them from getting mushy.

Thanks. I can't wait till Friday gets here.

Wow, vacation fun sounds like a fantastic use of the money!

Also did the refrigerator clean out today instead of tomorrow - it just seemed time. So there is a big old stock pot of leftover and unused as yet veggies simmering on the stove to become stock for soup:

Posted Image

FYI & for future reference

Spinach, kale, lettuce, yellow split peas, beets, onions, celery, garlic, chicken broth and basic spaghetti

I need to get back into making my bread again, since I am frustrated by the amount of sugar and additives, especially high fructose corn syrup, in purchased bread, even when it is from a local bakery.

Another successful bedtime routine - two in a row!

Steps were good today. Water was, too. Some spending on staples for the month, but did it online from a list to keep impulse spending down.

Also grocery store expenses were less than $30 this week, and errands were a minimum, so I didn't have to buy gas yet. Paid on a credit card with the budgeted food and petrol remainder from the week.

• Like 2

Forgot to mention that I have been keeping the carbs down since Thursday as well. Less than 50 all but one day, and that day was still under 75. Most days are seeing calorie deficit as well, so here's hoping that I am making the most of the walking and the workout. :)

I've been mostly consistent with wine for the past two weeks, with just a couple cheat days, but that is going to have to go as part of the grocery bill reduction -- when you're only budgeting $50 or less, a ten dollar bottle of wine seems an outrageous purchase.

Started a new knitting project yesterday and am really liking it. Hopefully it will be done soon and I'll be able to wear it.

Vegetables and fruits today. The stuff at the back of the vegetables and the stuff in the wooden bowl were extras that I picked up at the farmer's market.

The cherries *might* last a week, but I don't think the strawberries will make it to 9 o'clock.