Assassins' Den! (general chat thread)

ApfelStrudi

Seriously, how does he keep holding on at the bottom?

I think I could just about manage the bit at the beginning where he walks on screen and then bends over to grip parallettes. I'd need a bit of practice first though.

Ha! Yeah, let's take small victories. "Today I gripped the parallettes that were sitting on the ground!" Win!

• Like 1

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

I love that because I've been working out regularly and seeing results I never expected, instead of looking at a video like that and thinking "that's impossible" I look and think "I can work up to that!"

This is an amazing way of looking at it. Actually, the one I've noticed is that I have a much greater respect for movie people pulling off displays of fitness, since I have actual perspective on the difficulty.

And then I vow to learn it myself.

• Like 2

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I love that because I've been working out regularly and seeing results I never expected, instead of looking at a video like that and thinking "that's impossible" I look and think "I can work up to that!"

Yes! We should all be so wise. :D

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

This is an amazing way of looking at it. Actually, the one I've noticed is that I have a much greater respect for movie people pulling off displays of fitness, since I have actual perspective on the difficulty.

And then I vow to learn it myself.

On vacation we were able to watch some breakdancers. Breakdancing had never really impressed me much before, but now I look at the stuff they do and I am amazed. And then my next thought is, "I want to learn break dancing!"

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On vacation we were able to watch some breakdancers. Breakdancing had never really impressed me much before, but now I look at the stuff they do and I am amazed. And then my next thought is, "I want to learn break dancing!"

That is how my brain works whenever I see someone have amazing skills at something. A language, fluent beautiful English accent, parkour, gymnastic tricks, climbing, crazy drawing skills, musical skills... THERE IS NOT ENOUGH TIME TO LEARN EVERYTHING 

• Like 2

Hail assassins

I hope I am not over stepping bounds by posting here. I'm a 1 level rebel. I hear that assassins are well skilled at controlling bodyweight and there core. I'm in search of a core routin that I can do in between my regular work out days. About 15 to 20 minutes. Any help would be much appreciated.

I find it very calming to think about when I want to do ALL THE THINGS NOW NOW NOW!

Sometimes what happens then is I spin out and do none of the things. Calming to think I do have time to become a master at more stuff. And then we don't have to become a master, it is fine to just play and dabble in stuff too

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

It's also possible to master more than one thing at time. So theoretically, you could become great at more than 11 things in your lifetime. Just a thought.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

Hail assassins

I hope I am not over stepping bounds by posting here. I'm a 1 level rebel. I hear that assassins are well skilled at controlling bodyweight and there core. I'm in search of a core routin that I can do in between my regular work out days. About 15 to 20 minutes. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hey you, welcome to our corner of the forums :) 

Off the top of my mind, I thought of this one: http://neilarey.com/workouts.html If you use the filter, you can let it show you only the core workouts.

If you're not just concentrating on your core, you could try Arnold Schwarzenegger's 1% challenge: http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/arnolds-1-challenge/ Scroll down for videos!

• Like 1

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

ApfelStrudi is out of control

Hi guys. Hazard recommended I introduce myself here. I'm just starting my first challenge. I found Reddit's bodyweight fitness community a little over a week ago, and I was amazed. I was just looking for some ways to gain strength since I can't afford a gym membership. Imagine my surprise when I found out that with intelligent progressions and a pull-up bar, a bodyweight regime can be just as good as any gym! And because it's all about mastering one's own body, it'll help with my martial arts as well. (Got to orange belt in Goju-Ryu karate a couple of weeks ago.)

I already love it, and I think today's got me hooked. I'm doing Startbodyweight.com's routine, and 3 days ago I was doing jackknife pull-ups. I could barely get my chin up to the bar, I think I was only managing it on the first rep of each set. (3 sets of 4.) Today, I went for 5, 4, 4, but more importantly, almost every rep I did, my chin got to the bar. It was only the last rep of each set that I couldn't manage it. I thought to myself: 3 days ago, I couldn't do that. I tried as hard as I could, and I couldn't do that, but today I can. I've never felt this accomplished at a gym, even with friends there. There's something about being able to complete a body movement that I couldn't do before that just feels better to me than lifting heavier weights, and I know I'm definitively getting stronger each and every workout.

Over the next five and a half weeks I'm going to eat well, count calories, lose weight, and improve at least one level on each of my progressions. I think it's going to be great fun :)

• Like 5

Imagine my surprise when I found out that with intelligent progressions and a pull-up bar, a bodyweight regime is much, much better than the smelly old gym!

I just thought I'd correct that on behalf of the assassins!

Greetings Salivanth and congratulations on your already awesome progress with the chin-up- it sounds like you've discovered that amazing feeling you get when you're using just your strength to move you body through space! I think you're going to fit in just fine around here.

• Like 1

I just thought I'd correct that on behalf of the assassins!

Greetings Salivanth and congratulations on your already awesome progress with the chin-up- it sounds like you've discovered that amazing feeling you get when you're using just your strength to move you body through space! I think you're going to fit in just fine around here.

You're right of course, but I didn't want to annoy the Warriors. They may not be the brightest bunch, but they're pretty good with those pointy sticks of theirs. Though I suppose if one takes offense and tries to bash me up I can just hold a mirror in front of my face so they get confused and hit themselves instead :tongue:

• Like 3

You're right of course, but I didn't want to annoy the Warriors. They may not be the brightest bunch, but they're pretty good with those pointy sticks of theirs. Though I suppose if one takes offense and tries to bash me up I can just hold a mirror in front of my face so they get confused and hit themselves instead :tongue:

You are so my new hero!

• Like 1

This.

Oh my god.

Totally made my morning :D And definitely earned you an honorary assassin badge until you join us properly :D

• Like 1

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

ApfelStrudi is out of control

"BECAUSE HOVERBIKE!"

This is going to be my new battlecry on life!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I already love it, and I think today's got me hooked. I'm doing Startbodyweight.com's routine, and 3 days ago I was doing jackknife pull-ups. I could barely get my chin up to the bar, I think I was only managing it on the first rep of each set. (3 sets of 4.) Today, I went for 5, 4, 4, but more importantly, almost every rep I did, my chin got to the bar. It was only the last rep of each set that I couldn't manage it. I thought to myself: 3 days ago, I couldn't do that. I tried as hard as I could, and I couldn't do that, but today I can. I've never felt this accomplished at a gym, even with friends there. There's something about being able to complete a body movement that I couldn't do before that just feels better to me than lifting heavier weights, and I know I'm definitively getting stronger each and every workout.

I also follow that program, and I love it that you make progress every workout. A few months ago I couldn't do a regular pushup, and now I'm doing arms-in pushups. Beginner gains are great and it always feels wonderful when you can do some movement you couldn't before :).

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines