Assassins' Den! (general chat thread)

ApfelStrudi

I certainly didn't intend it negatively at all; I was mainly making fun of D&D-style warriors rather than Nerd Fitness warriors anyway. That said, I'm happy to stop, as I wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable. And Sylph does have a point, in that we're all in this together, and sometimes on the internet it can be hard to tell how serious someone is. Making a few people laugh might not be worth the risk of offending someone.

I didn't perceive it as bashing guilds but a bit of good-hearted fun. I wouldn't mind a warrior replying with something similar about the assassins. I don't think it was intended in a negative way.

I don't think it was intended negatively, either. :) But part of what I like about this place is that we see past stereotypes. 

I think if the comments were made out in one of the "public" areas of the forum, I wouldn't have given it a second look. But here in our Assassin space, it kind of seemed like behind-the-back making fun. *shrug* I usually have a pretty thick skin, but perhaps I'm low on sleep this morning. :)

I certainly didn't intend it negatively at all; I was mainly making fun of D&D-style warriors rather than Nerd Fitness warriors anyway. That said, I'm happy to stop, as I wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable. And Sylph does have a point, in that we're all in this together, and sometimes on the internet it can be hard to tell how serious someone is. Making a few people laugh might not be worth the risk of offending someone.

We're all nerds, right?:D

I hadn't even realised there was a stereotype of weightlifters being stupid, honestly. (I'm assuming we can still make fun of D&D fighters and their pointy sticks?) Of course, now that I think about it, it seems pretty obvious, given the whole "Sports = dumb" stereotype. I can see how someone might take it the wrong way, especially someone who's faced that kind of teasing before by people who actually meant it.

Also, I actually would have hesitated to post something like that in a public forum, when I was happy to post it here. Shows what I know, eh?

Junior: I'm hardly one to talk; I once played a barbarian in 3.5 with a mental score (I forget which one) so low, he got hit by a stat-reducing spell and lost consciousness. If someone pulled the mirror trick on him, he'd probably have fallen for it.

I also had a Troll Berserker die because he reached 0 INT and forgot to breathe in a game called Crawl. Turns out it was standard strategy for a Berserker to increase INT up to 8 at the time, to prevent exactly that kind of death by stat reduction.

AND I played a Warrior tank in World of Warcraft. While I didn't play a dumb character, I did act dumb by being a really bad tank. I quote:

Guild Leader: "Salivanth doesn't turn bosses, that's his thing!"

All in the name of fun of course; I had learnt to turn bosses by then, and had merely forgot that one time. Still, you never quite outgrow your noob mistakes. I'm still known in my karate class as "The guy with no lats" after I was told to tighten my lats and had no idea what Sensei was talking about.

nice.

But about the whole sports = dumb thing, I've always been confused, because there are a number of peer reviewed journals out there that have studied the correlation between mental acuity and cardiovascular exercise. Shouldn't that mean that super-fit people are smarter than those of us who sit around doing nothing all day? Maybe it was in the part of the journals you had to pay for, and not covered in the first page (generally all that google scholar lets you see for free).

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

I'm not saying people who play sports are dumber, I'm saying there's a stereotype that says that. Probably goes back to high school and the whole jock/nerd thing. The sheer existence of this site proves that kind of thing wrong in the first place, and given that it's pretty much unquestioned among the fields of health that a fit body leads to a healthier mind, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were right about those journals.

If your confusion stems from why people think this; most people don't read peer-reviewed journals :D

• Like 1

I'm not saying people who play sports are dumber, I'm saying there's a stereotype that says that. Probably goes back to high school and the whole jock/nerd thing. The sheer existence of this site proves that kind of thing wrong in the first place, and given that it's pretty much unquestioned among the fields of health that a fit body leads to a healthier mind, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were right about those journals.

If your confusion stems from why people think this; most people don't read peer-reviewed journals :D

that's exactly where my confusion stems from. Never believed it myself, the dux of my class was athletic (albeit a nerdy sport, roller-skate dancing), and apart from being friends with the awesomeness that is me, he was also ridiculously smart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

a bodyweight regime can be just as good as any gym!

a bodyweight regime is much, much better than the smelly old gym!

I just thought I'd correct that on behalf of the assassins!

My gym smells like French Vanilla. :tongue:

I hadn't even realised there was a stereotype of weightlifters being stupid, honestly.

This is an example of the stereotype in action.

Though to be fair, while the commercial was horrendously judgmental, it's also pretty hilarious. It's hard to feel insulted when you realize that the owners of Planet Fitness were admitting with that commercial that their business is not intended for people to build muscle or strength.  The way I see it, the owners of Planet Fitness were really backhandedly insulting their own clients.

But either way, they were perpetuating a very old stereotype.

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

My gym smells like French Vanilla. :tongue:

My gym smells like sadness, broken machines, and BO.

• Like 3

"I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.  Fear is the little death that causes total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will allow it to pass over me and through me until only I remain."

My Current Challenge

Level 2 Bene Gesserit Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Junior: I'm hardly one to talk; I once played a barbarian in 3.5 with a mental score (I forget which one) so low, he got hit by a stat-reducing spell and lost consciousness. If someone pulled the mirror trick on him, he'd probably have fallen for it.

I also had a Troll Berserker die because he reached 0 INT and forgot to breathe in a game called Crawl. Turns out it was standard strategy for a Berserker to increase INT up to 8 at the time, to prevent exactly that kind of death by stat reduction.

3.5 Barbarians are the only class that cannot read, regardless of their INT. The moment you multiclass barbarian 1-figther 1, you can read ;). I have once played a goliath barbarian with a dungeon master that really emphasized that handicap every time something to read came up...

3.5 Barbarians are the only class that cannot read, regardless of their INT. The moment you multiclass barbarian 1-figther 1, you can read ;). I have once played a goliath barbarian with a dungeon master that really emphasized that handicap every time something to read came up...

In a 1-player campaign I once played a Druid-type character who grew up in a very small village, so we house-ruled that he was illiterate, because where would he have the chance to read? At one point, I had to go to a Victorian-era city in order to research something. I still remember going into a library, asking for information, and then revealing I couldn't read. The NPC was too polite to say "Well, what the fuck are you doing here then?" but it was implied. My character wasn't the smartest guy in the world either, which was good, because we had a very forgiving magic system, and the only reason I refrained from breaking it in half was that my character wasn't smart enough to figure out how.

Good times.

I'm a first time challenge participant that is trying to wrap her head around this "guild" stuff.

OY so many things. Like, I thought I'd be shoo-in for monks, because I love love love tae kwon do, but in actuality I really just love love love doing ALL THE THINGS with my body, so maybe that steers me towards assassins?

Hazard is working hard to gain Best Ambassador Ever points and suggested I pop my head in here, which is what I'm doing - and that "lifetimes" comic a couple of pages back made me fall a tiny bit in love with all of you.

hi! waving!

• Like 3

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

I'm a first time challenge participant that is trying to wrap her head around this "guild" stuff.

OY so many things. Like, I thought I'd be shoo-in for monks, because I love love love tae kwon do, but in actuality I really just love love love doing ALL THE THINGS with my body, so maybe that steers me towards assassins?

Hazard is working hard to gain Best Ambassador Ever points and suggested I pop my head in here, which is what I'm doing - and that "lifetimes" comic a couple of pages back made me fall a tiny bit in love with all of you.

hi! waving!

I'm in a similar boat as you, and there are a few ways you could handle it, imo.

1) What do you spend the most time thinking about? I do karate and bodyweight training, but I want to join the Assassins because karate for me is largely about showing up, training hard when I'm at the dojo, and practicing my kata a bit. Whereas my bodyweight training requires me to structure my regimen, keep track of things, manage my diet, and so on. This is how I chose Assassin over Monk.

2) Which community would you rather be a part of? Would you rather spend most of your time on the site around martial artists, or bodyweight enthusiasts? Alternatively, which of these communities would benefit you more?

3) Pick your guild based on each individual challenge. You don't have to do all your challenges with a single guild if I understand things correctly; if your second challenge is more bodyweight-based, do it here, and if it's more martial-based, do it with the Monks.

In any case, you've got nearly two months to make a decision one way or the other, so enjoy your time of checking out both sides :)

• Like 2

After a couple of years here, I think Salivanth has a good point.  There's no one right strategy for picking a guild.  The good thing is that you move around and change your "home" guild each challenge if you want.  And you can learn from any of them at any time by popping in and reading their mini challenges and skill progressions.

Ideally, your home guild should be a place where your guildmates are pursuing similar goals to yours and talking about the things you are interested in.  And it is usually easier to learn new skills and progress in a guild that is training in things you want to learn or get better at.  What you think about, you bring about.  

And to some extent, each guild has its own personality.  Stop in each of them and read some of the mini-challenges and the more popular posts.  See if they seem to fit with your goals and personality.  

(And then choose Assassins ......  j/k)

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I got bored today, so I decided to write this up. This is by no means meant to be a comprehensive overview of the Assassins, as I wrote it for fun in about an hour, but feel free to let me know if I missed something criminally obvious :) It's written in the style of D&D 3.5's Player's Handbook.

Disclaimer: None of these mechanics are serious ideas.

Assassin

The assassin comes from all walks of life. From the humble strength trainer with no money for a gym membership, to parkour enthusiasts or elite gymnasts, all those who seek mastery of their body in space call the Assassin’s Guild their home. To a true Assassin, mastery of one’s body is not just a means to an end, but an end in and of itself. Those who underestimate their routines will be caught by surprise by their strength, flexibility, balance, and agility. Few make the same mistake again.

Characteristics: The Assassin focuses on mastery of the body. The “iron body†techniques of the Shaolin monks. The breathtaking strength and co-ordination of the Olympic gymnast, The dancer or freerunner who turns mere movement into a work of art. These are the role models of the Assassin. Assassins have many diverse goals, but they all focus on the art of movements and their ability to execute them, whether they require extreme grace, flexibility, or brute strength.

Races: Any race may become an Assassin. Depending on the Assassin’s goals, some races may have more difficulty than others; a hobbit or dwarf will find climbing a challenge, whereas an ogre or half-giant may have difficulty with gymnastics maneuvers. However, that just means they have to train all the harder! The Assassin’s creed does not discriminate by race, and welcomes all those who are willing to work for what they want to achieve.

Other Classes: Assassins tend to have the most in common with Monks, Rangers, and Scouts. The monk focuses on martial arts, an art that requires functional strength, balance, and speed. A ranger focuses heavily on functional strength as well, favouring the ability to work hard without burning out. Finally, the Scout’s focus on cardiovascular activity tends to be focused on their own body rather than an external force, and many Assassins perform cardio on their rest days.

Game Rule Information

Assassins have the following game statistics:

Abilities: An Assassin’s primary statistic is usually Strength or Dexterity, depending on the individual focus of the Assassin. A decent Constitution score is also important, as an Assassin requires an optimised power-to-weight ratio to perform their complex maneuvers. Advanced Assassins cannot afford to carry around excess weight. Some points in Stamina are also of use to the Assassin who trains cardio between workout days, or those who maintain a medium-to-high intensity throughout their workout.

Alignment: Any nonlazy.

Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills: The assassin’s class skills (and the most prominent abilities for each skill) include, but are not limited to, Bodyweight (Str), Parkour (Dex), Handstands (Str/Dex), Acrobatics (Dex), Gymnastics (Str/Dex), Dancing (Dex/Cha), Flexibility (Dex), Yoga (Dex/Wis), Climbing (Str), Obstacle Analysis (Wis), Running (Sta), Diet (Con), and Wearing Black (Cha).
Skill Points at 1st level: Based on prior experience. Consult your DM for more information.

Skill Points for each additional level: 1-3 points per successful challenge, based on workload and intensity of skill. (See Figure 4-17 for Skill Intensity)

• Like 9

I got bored today, so I decided to write this up. This is by no means meant to be a comprehensive overview of the Assassins, as I wrote it for fun in about an hour, but feel free to let me know if I missed something criminally obvious :) It's written in the style of D&D 3.5's Player's Handbook. ... ...

This is sweet! Well done!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

That about sums it up!

Sent from the mountains of Northern Arizona using the magic of Tapatalk

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

So, I posted a couple questions regarding working out in the "New to Fitness" forum, but I figure I might as well come here and get a little help from you fine folks, since you seem to be geared towards what I eventually want to do.

I want to learn parkour, and be a traceur. I'm currently terribly sedentary (something that will hopefully change as the summer starts hitting Chicago more), I'm overweight, and I'm weak (I can't do a pull-up or push-up, but I can apparently leg press 270 lbs).

In the thread I started, it was recommended to me to look into a Stronglift 5x5 program to get my strength to a level where I can perform more body-weight exercises and further my goals, but I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions or ideas

Thank you for your time! :D

Weightlifting would definitely be an option, but there's no reason bodyweight exercises wouldn't work for you either. I can't do a pull-up, and I'm not doing push-ups yet because they hurt my shoulder when I do them. But I can still do bodyweight stuff; here's a poster that contains a good set of exercise progressions which start at a level that nearly anyone can do, no matter how weak or overweight.

Start Bodyweight poster.

You could also look into Nerd Fitness's beginner bodyweight routine; I don't do it myself but a lot of other people seem to find success with it.

It contains push-ups, but you can always replace those with an easier variation from the chart, such as box pushups or three-quarter pushups. If you're unsure how to perform an exercise from a picture alone (Common for me), search the exercise name on YouTube and you should find a video that shows you correct form.

Weight loss will also help, given you said you're overweight; obviously the more weight you have to move, the harder your bodyweight exercises will be. I'm working on weight loss at the moment for that exact reason.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines