• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Leonine

Leonine's Path to be a Master: Viridian City

Hello Druid guild! I'm Leo, and I believe I've been here briefly before; but today I'm settling down in the forest to journey with you guys! I'm carrying my challenge theme over from my last one, which is namely my Master Quest challenge. My Master Goal is the same, but my others have taken a bit of tweaking- I've been really interested in yoga and meditation for a long time now, but I'm ready for them to take a spotlight in the wellness part of my life, instead of a sidebar! I'm a newbie at all of this, so I'm really looking forward to learning more.

Without further ado- my Pokemon-ified challenge goals, (what better theme for a master quest?) complete with silly doodles. Of course the doodles are a must. I'm that kid just noodling away in the margins of my class notes, I can't stop!

Goal 1: Mindful Training

leo_meditate_zpsfed5b4a6.png

Mindfulness training (meditation) is something that I got into last year when learning how to best manage stress and unpleasant thoughts I was having. It really made an impact on me, and it's something I want to continue deeper with. I'm managing 10 min a day, but I'm not very consistent, and want to progress more.  I plan on finding a mentor during this challenge! But, I think a regular, daily practice is an essential habit to build.

Target: Meditate for 10 minutes per day.

Score out of 42

+4 WIS, +1 STA

Goal 2: Limber Training

leo_stretch_zps8055272a.png

A goal I'm carrying over from my last challenge (and from before that as well) is stretching for 15 minutes a day. Doesn't matter how, just doing it is important! I was very humbled in a yoga class over the Christmas season when I was the least flexible member of the class (and of my family), and realized I simply didn't want it to be that way. I do yoga at home on occasion (when I make the time), and want to continue getting bendier! Plus, I'm cosplaying as Catwoman this June. A Catwoman who can't bend and stretch is no proper Catwoman at all.

Target: Stretch 15 minutes a day

Score out of 42

+3 DEX, +1 STA, +1 CON

Master Goal: Artistic Training

leo_art_zpsf94d7e2e.png

Ahh, the grandaddy goal of them all! This goal is the Life Quest fulfiller that was the focus of my last challenge (and will be for all the Master Quest themed challenges I do). I'm a visual designer by trade, and I wouldn't want it any other way; the only thing I would like to change, is I would like to improve! The goal is to spend one hour a day doing something that furthers my career in a design, artistic or business sense.

I have a full-time gig as a video game graphic artist, so extra practice on top of the work I do is daunting. But, I'm determined!

Target: Practice art/design for 1 hour a day

Score out of 42

+2 WIS, +2 CHA, +1 STA

I do have this awful habit of thinking 'oh sure, I'll update today!' thing, and then poof, half the challenge is done and I never get on NF. SO-

Mini-Challenge: Updates!

I solemnly swear, if I update every day, I will buy myself a lovely meditation cushion at the end of this challenge. :3 So my little throw pillow can have its life back on my bed where it belongs!

Anyways, I'm really excited to be testing out my new Druid moves, and I'm looking forward to the next six weeks! Good luck everyone!

dancing.jpg

• Like 4

A pokemon-ified challenge, how awesome!  LOVE your art!  doyogawithme.com has some awesome stretching yoga routines, if you are looking for something visual to follow.

Hope you get your meditation cushion (AWESOME way to reward yourself)!

So, you and me, we both got art goals this time. Good that we have that in common, I think.

Also, seeing as you're an awesome person, we'd all love to see you around here a bit more often. Yes.

Subb'd!

:o

Another pokémon trainer! YAY!

I'm on the way to Mt. Moon this challenge, setting out to find a moonstone and defeat Team Rocket.

Your doodles make me ultra-happy. I can't wait to see more of that - and the rest of your challenge :)

A pokemon-ified challenge, how awesome!  LOVE your art!  doyogawithme.com has some awesome stretching yoga routines, if you are looking for something visual to follow.

Hope you get your meditation cushion (AWESOME way to reward yourself)!

Why thank you, you're so sweet! :D I love doyogawithme, but I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of it (haven't been practicing for very long!). Do you have any favorite stretching routines on there?

So, you and me, we both got art goals this time. Good that we have that in common, I think.

Also, seeing as you're an awesome person, we'd all love to see you around here a bit more often. Yes.

Subb'd!

tumblr_lgjy2xGi7i1qafrh6.gif

D'aw, you are too nice Kishi! I'm lucky that I get to be around here with your awesome self and everyone else! So I better start taking advantage of it. :) 

I'm excited about our art goals! Hopefully we can hold each other accountable on those, life goals can be nefariously tricky... but we got this.

:o

Another pokémon trainer! YAY!

I'm on the way to Mt. Moon this challenge, setting out to find a moonstone and defeat Team Rocket.

Your doodles make me ultra-happy. I can't wait to see more of that - and the rest of your challenge :)

Awww sweet! And thanks! I'm going to need to check out your challenge for sure. You are a much more advanced trainer than I, yesh. :3

*Gasps* Pokemons! Subbed :)

Your drawings are adorable! I can't wait to see how your adventure pans out :)

Yay Pokemons!

Aw thanks Teagarden, looking forward to yours as well!

Welcome to the druids... I remember you were already here.

Your goals sound great!

If you want to have meditation as a habit please get a pillow soon... It can be a disadvantage to use your sleeping pillow...

Good luck & remember:

Whenever you have no time to meditate 10 minutes do one hour....

Hi :)

I have a meditation goal as well and I love that you are looking to improve your vocation :) Your goals were an inspiration for my challenge too :)

Welcome to the druids... I remember you were already here.

Your goals sound great!

If you want to have meditation as a habit please get a pillow soon... It can be a disadvantage to use your sleeping pillow...

Good luck & remember:

Whenever you have no time to meditate 10 minutes do one hour....

Yep- it's just so nice, I got here twice. ;)

I love that saying. :3 Anyways, is using a regular pillow disadvantageous from a posture perspective? I don't want to inadvertently mess something up! o.o

Hi :)

I have a meditation goal as well and I love that you are looking to improve your vocation :) Your goals were an inspiration for my challenge too :)

Awesome, it's a great goal to have! I'll have to pop in on your challenge for sure, you're so sweet!

• Like 1

Hello!  Looks like it will be a good one :-)

Yaaaay, you found me! :D What up, Teirin? Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be as good about posting as you are! (Hahaha, I CAN ONLY HOPE)

Yaaaay, you found me! :D What up, Teirin? Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be as good about posting as you are! (Hahaha, I CAN ONLY HOPE)

*snif* You even warned us that you were running off to the Druids.  Of course we can find you #totallynotintendedtobecreepy

All is well here.  Post lots!  We love to read them.  I showed your challenge pics to a graphic designer friend and he loved them :-)

• Like 1

Hey Leo, your challenge looks really cool. I like the art challenge, I'm an Illustrator but I haven't been drawing for ages so good that you feel motivated to set a goal for it. I love the pokemon style challenge, that is excellent!

Good luck!

*snif* You even warned us that you were running off to the Druids.  Of course we can find you #totallynotintendedtobecreepy

All is well here.  Post lots!  We love to read them.  I showed your challenge pics to a graphic designer friend and he loved them :-)

*ker-blush* Aw, cool! I'm glad he liked them! Most of my challenge time will probably be spent on graphic design, so maybe it's a good sign?

Hey Leo, your challenge looks really cool. I like the art challenge, I'm an Illustrator but I haven't been drawing for ages so good that you feel motivated to set a goal for it. I love the pokemon style challenge, that is excellent!

Good luck!

Thanks so much! That's so cool that you're an illustrator. Have you posted any of your artwork? Online portfolio?

Leonine, how lovely to have you back. Namaste!

Congratulations on a welldesigned challenge ( :playful: ).

When it comes to becoming "bendier"; for me that has been kind of a "side-effect" of yoga meaning I do not have it as a goal but it just happens through my practice. Does that make sense?

Sun salutations do of course lengthen hamstrings and increase forward fold flexibility as well as downward dog. I find those two very basic and useful.

Great to have you here!

Sun Salutations do amazing things to your body. I did them exclusively for about 6 months because I am ridiculously obsessive about my form and I wanted to commit my body memory and my brain memory to getting them performed perfectly without too much thinking and it being more rote than focused, because I can't do them as quickly as they are supposed to be done if I have to remind myself of each movement, plus it allows me to focus on the breathing more if I don't have to focus on the movements themselves (yeah, I can't do both simultaneously...whats up with that?) 

So anyways, my point before that tangent was to say that I LOVE Sun Salutations and in the Ashtanga tradition, many beginners just do Sun Salutations for months before progressing, so even if thats all you do to start, it isn't a bad thing :) That plus Savasana (laying on your back relaxing like a pool of water on the floor) afterwards is all you need for a good long while. 

• Like 1

omfg I LOVE YOUR DRAWINGS!! I think you should get that meditation cushion sooner rather than later and really dive into meditation! And you can possibly reward yourself with something else after the challenge is done :D

Yep- it's just so nice, I got here twice. ;)

I love that saying. :3 Anyways, is using a regular pillow disadvantageous from a posture perspective? I don't want to inadvertently mess something up! o.o

Awesome, it's a great goal to have! I'll have to pop in on your challenge for sure, you're so sweet!

Depends on the pillow ;)

Mine is very very soft, so it just wobbles away. 

If you can sit on it comfortable everything is fine!

But your sleeping pillow isnt great.  If energy leaves through your lowest chakra it is not too great just to put your crown chakra on it, right? Since I cannot see energy I have to beleive others here...

Leonine, how lovely to have you back. Namaste!

Congratulations on a welldesigned challenge ( :playful: ).

When it comes to becoming "bendier"; for me that has been kind of a "side-effect" of yoga meaning I do not have it as a goal but it just happens through my practice. Does that make sense?

Sun salutations do of course lengthen hamstrings and increase forward fold flexibility as well as downward dog. I find those two very basic and useful.

Great to have you here!

Why thank you Eve! :D Yes, that does make sense; I think for my next challenge I will incorporate a yoga-specific element to it. I can't afford a class membership, but I really enjoy websites that stream yoga, and I'm getting more in the habit of doing beginner classes at home. Definitely helping with that bendy aspect! I think practicing sun salutations would do my a lot of good.

Sun Salutations do amazing things to your body. I did them exclusively for about 6 months because I am ridiculously obsessive about my form and I wanted to commit my body memory and my brain memory to getting them performed perfectly without too much thinking and it being more rote than focused, because I can't do them as quickly as they are supposed to be done if I have to remind myself of each movement, plus it allows me to focus on the breathing more if I don't have to focus on the movements themselves (yeah, I can't do both simultaneously...whats up with that?) 

So anyways, my point before that tangent was to say that I LOVE Sun Salutations and in the Ashtanga tradition, many beginners just do Sun Salutations for months before progressing, so even if thats all you do to start, it isn't a bad thing :) That plus Savasana (laying on your back relaxing like a pool of water on the floor) afterwards is all you need for a good long while. 

Wow, your form must be awesome! I think sun salutations are actually pretty challenging to do well, so perhaps I'll take a leaf from your book and really focus on them. I was so surprised when I found out how quickly they're actually supposed to be done! And the breathing is definitely important to get down, but I find it difficult to truly sync my movements with it. I totally get the feelings that doing them as the same time is tough, too!

omfg I LOVE YOUR DRAWINGS!! I think you should get that meditation cushion sooner rather than later and really dive into meditation! And you can possibly reward yourself with something else after the challenge is done :D

Waaah, thanks! <3 Hmm, you may have a point there. The cushions are kind of pricey which is why I was saving it up as a big prize, but if I know I'm going to use it (and I do), there's no reason why I couldn't swap out the rewards... good food for thought. ;)

Depends on the pillow ;)

Mine is very very soft, so it just wobbles away. 

If you can sit on it comfortable everything is fine!

But your sleeping pillow isnt great.  If energy leaves through your lowest chakra it is not too great just to put your crown chakra on it, right? Since I cannot see energy I have to beleive others here...

Yeah, mine's not super soft, and it's a different pillow from the one I sleep on (it's a decorative pillow), but it's not supportive at all, and that's a really good point about the chakras. I've never thought of that before! Hmm, another reason to get the cushion early...

• Like 1

DAY 1:

Alright, a post! Yay. This is a good way to start the challenge, with a day of solid updates. ;)

Meditating: COMPLETE. 1/42

Actually I did a lot more than 10 minutes; Mondays are my day to go to the local meditation center, for 30 min of sitting, a tea break, and an hour-long dharma talk. But, since I'm in the business of forming habit and practice, I woke up early to meditate for 10 minutes anyways. Started off very hungry, so that was all I could think about. I drank a glass of warm water, so the physical pangs went away substantially, but then my mind was still focused on food. A new thing I tried was setting an alarm for ten minutes, instead of checking my phone. It actually improved my focus a lot.

Stretching: COMPLETE. 1/42

I didn't have time for a full 15 minutes in a row after my workout (I was running late), but I squeezed a couple stretch breaks in during the work day as well. It's kind of nice getting up every so often to just wiggle my hips and touch my toes! Normally though, I'd rather do 15 min in a row.

Training: COMPLETE. 1/42

Stayed an hour late after work (my favorite method) to brush up on the basics of InDesign CC. I have a paper/infographic I want to pitch to my studio's upper management in the next couple of days, and I'd love to be able to lay it out in a really appealing format. :) ID CC, to the rescuuue!

Mini Challenge: Update 1/42 

• Like 1

Definitely set a timer, or have something else independent of your checking things to let you know when time is up. It enhances the focus like whoa.

Excellent first day :-)  That meditation centre sounds nice.

Thanks! Oh it's wonderful; I've only been going to the one night's program, but I just filled out an application to get a (free of charge) personal meditation guide provided by the center. It's a really cool thing for them to do.

Definitely set a timer, or have something else independent of your checking things to let you know when time is up. It enhances the focus like whoa.

It does! It's a completely different thought process-

Thought 1: I wonder if my ten minutes of meditation are done?

Thought 2: Wait, I don't have to wonder about that. My phone is going to tell me. Now, about that breath....

DAY 2:

Another day down! It just occurred to me that I'm going to be out of town this weekend at Sakuracon; I'm really excited, I'm just trying to plan on how I'll be able to continue my goals on the road! I'm sure it won't be too difficult. Even if I have to sneak to the hotel room or the park by myself for sitting and stretching, I'm sure I'll be able to make the time...

Meditation: COMPLETE. 2/42

Another solid effort at mindfulness. Setting that alarm really helps a lot. I noticed a theme with my brain today; my thoughts kept wandering towards vegetarianism, and what that might look like for me. Not bad things to be thinking about, but I kept returning to my breath anyways.

Stretching: COMPLETE. 2/42

Done, after my dumbbell weight routine this morning! Unrelated- I've been feeling super fatigued at points during the day, even though I've been eating all my meals and snacks (heheh, most of the time). I haven't really increased my food much since exercising more regularly again... I feel like maybe that's the reason, but not sure it would be that noticeable of a difference! 

Training: COMPLETE. 2/42

I did more InDesign tutorials today, after work. I do enjoy staying behind for a while, because then I can take breaks and joke around with the people who come into my office at the end of the day. It does make me look like a bit of an overworked, obsessive zealot though, staying late like that. :P

Mini-Challenge: Update 2/42

• Like 1

If you have a smartphone, there are also meditation apps that have notifications that are much more gentle and won't scare you when you get deep into the state later on in your practice.. assuming you even have that problem in the first place!

As for feeling fatigued, it would actually make that big of a difference :) Make sure you keep up with food intake and nutrition!