• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Leonine

Leonine's Path to be a Master: Viridian City

Teh horror!!!!!!1!!!!oneoneelventy111!

Glad that we picked some winners for the logos.

Also, glad to hear the stretching's working for you! Cool.

Ha!  That looks cute and fun.  Will have to try it out.

Oh please do! It's really cute, and everyone has an Irish accent. (Including me! Listen to the rescued lady-dwarves for a chance to hear me at my Celtic best).

Very, very cool.

Why thank you, Gamer! :3

Teh horror!!!!!!1!!!!oneoneelventy111!

Glad that we picked some winners for the logos.

Also, glad to hear the stretching's working for you! Cool.

Oh I know, TEH WORST. c;

Yeah, it's been going really well! Later I might try and take some progress pics. I took some before pics when I was starting out, I'd like to see the difference!

Oh please do! It's really cute, and everyone has an Irish accent. (Including me! Listen to the rescued lady-dwarves for a chance to hear me at my Celtic best).

4 levels later I am cursing your name and my soon-to-be-lost productivity.   Love your voicework :-)

omg that looks like fun! I need an Ipad game....so yup once I am done here, I am going to go play :D You are doing awesome things this challenge and I am envious of your skills. 

DAY 19-

Took the day off. :D I woke up kind of late, our game got Editor's Choice in the app store, we had a food truck party (with cider for me!) and then I went to my little sister's talent show. Awesome day.

DAYS 20-21

Stretching: Complete. 20/21

I think my flexibility has been waning a bit, or at least that's what it feels like. Maybe the extra strength poses in yoga are causing a little extra resistance? It's not a bad thing, I just have to make sure I am very careful to stretch.

Also, visited a friend yesterday and he has a rice bucket in his room; apparently you can also use it for wrist and ankle strength as well as your hands... I might have to look into it, since my ankles get all wobbly during balance poses (like Warrior III!).

Meditation: Complete. 20/21

Yesterday I went to the Sun Day Assembly at our center; it's a monthly service, sort of a bit like church or mass. I didn't really enjoy it, it was too formal for my blood. It was worth experiencing, though! Of course, I got to do some extended sitting.

Art Training: Complete. 19/21

Lots of studying this weekend! A few hours on freelance projects, more hours on research.

• Like 2

My oh my oh my Leonine. All kinds of awesome here, you are really having/doing a fantastic challenge so far! Most of all I am overjoyed that you had the good sense to take a rest day...

Your body won't always be as flexible as it was a week ago, or even a day ago. Your body is always changing. Listen to your body and breathe a little deeper as you hold at the "tightest" point a teensy bit longer. :)

You're doing great!

DAY 19-

Took the day off. :D I woke up kind of late, our game got Editor's Choice in the app store, we had a food truck party (with cider for me!) and then I went to my little sister's talent show. Awesome day.

DAYS 20-21

Stretching: Complete. 20/21

I think my flexibility has been waning a bit, or at least that's what it feels like. Maybe the extra strength poses in yoga are causing a little extra resistance? It's not a bad thing, I just have to make sure I am very careful to stretch.

Also, visited a friend yesterday and he has a rice bucket in his room; apparently you can also use it for wrist and ankle strength as well as your hands... I might have to look into it, since my ankles get all wobbly during balance poses (like Warrior III!).

Meditation: Complete. 20/21

Yesterday I went to the Sun Day Assembly at our center; it's a monthly service, sort of a bit like church or mass. I didn't really enjoy it, it was too formal for my blood. It was worth experiencing, though! Of course, I got to do some extended sitting.

Art Training: Complete. 19/21

Lots of studying this weekend! A few hours on freelance projects, more hours on research.

Awesome way to reach the halfway point - you are rockin' this challenge!

Thanks for posting the rice bucket link. It looks like a great way to increase grip strength. I'm going to try it.

My oh my oh my Leonine. All kinds of awesome here, you are really having/doing a fantastic challenge so far! Most of all I am overjoyed that you had the good sense to take a rest day...

Thank you Eve! Before, I would be pretty upset with myself for taking a rest day, but this was a good move, in the end. It felt way better to just have a breather on a busy day, rather than trying to cram everything in. :)

Your body won't always be as flexible as it was a week ago, or even a day ago. Your body is always changing. Listen to your body and breathe a little deeper as you hold at the "tightest" point a teensy bit longer. :)

You're doing great!

Thanks Naaria! I'll definitely have to try that and be patient with myself; it makes sense that flexibility would be fluid, just like everything else...

Great day off :-)

Would calf raises help at all with ankle stability?

It sure was! You know what, that's a really great suggestion; I was thinking one-legged standing, and looking up some other exercises, but I bet calf raises would really help build some strength. I'll give them a go for a couple weeks, see how it goes!

Awesome way to reach the halfway point - you are rockin' this challenge!

Thanks for posting the rice bucket link. It looks like a great way to increase grip strength. I'm going to try it.

Thanks Shadow! Yeah, isn't it interesting? I've heard of it, but never seen anyone use it, it really looks very cool.

• Like 1

DAY 22-

Yew, it's the start of week 4! Can you believe it? This is getting really fun.

Stretching- Complete. 21/22

Stretched after morning yoga- ended up stretching for nearly 25 minutes, after my practice. It was great... but I was very nearly late to work! I think I will do some more stretching (and possibly calf raises?) before bed.

Meditation- Complete. 21/22

Something was bugging me this morning; I was always wandering from my breath and having a hard time returning. Normally the return is fairly easy, but today I seemed very ungrounded. I blame it on being first thing on a Monday morning.

Art Training- Complete. 20/22

A good chunk of this hour was actually spent at work, working on a project that I'm really excited for, but have no time to work on during my scheduled hours. Yeah, it's unpaid overtime... but if it works out, it's really gonna pay off. I want the studio to exhibit at a big show this year, so I'm trying to do all the work I can to make it happen! *fingers crossed* After that, I tinkered around in Illustrator. #thrillingdesignerstories

• Like 1

DAY 22-

Yew, it's the start of week 4! Can you believe it? This is getting really fun.

Stretching- Complete. 21/22

Stretched after morning yoga- ended up stretching for nearly 25 minutes, after my practice. It was great... but I was very nearly late to work! I think I will do some more stretching (and possibly calf raises?) before bed.

Meditation- Complete. 21/22

Something was bugging me this morning; I was always wandering from my breath and having a hard time returning. Normally the return is fairly easy, but today I seemed very ungrounded. I blame it on being first thing on a Monday morning.

Art Training- Complete. 20/22

A good chunk of this hour was actually spent at work, working on a project that I'm really excited for, but have no time to work on during my scheduled hours. Yeah, it's unpaid overtime... but if it works out, it's really gonna pay off. I want the studio to exhibit at a big show this year, so I'm trying to do all the work I can to make it happen! *fingers crossed* After that, I tinkered around in Illustrator. #thrillingdesignerstories

Nice progress. And it's good to stretch and risk a little bit for a possible pay off later. You never know where it may lead. It's an investment, really. And one that you can't actually lose, because your skills will be sharper. You are obviously enthusiastic and motivated!

Where are you Leonine?

We miss you!

Indeed, how's life and art and everything?

Ahhh, I dropped off the face of the Earth! Never fear, Leo is here! And the mini-challenge is completely shot, but it will a lllll be okay in the long run. :P

WEEK 5 REVIEW

Such a crazy week! I ended up doing a string of 12 hour days in a row, because we got hit with some internal tasks that ate up the week. So if working 50-60 hrs wasn't enough, I had my freelance and my research to do... the COOLEST thing about this challenge though, despite the fact that I didn't update, was that doing my goals actually helped keep me sane.

Seriously, I don't think I could have managed this sudden spike without my stretching, or without meditating. So, while I thought I was too busy to allow myself those luxuries, in the end I followed through and discovered they were necessities. Very happy with it.

Stretching- 32/35

I missed a couple of days, but overall this has been treating me well. I've started doing some lifting with my legs (whoo-hoo, dumbbell deadlifts), and I feel like my hamstring flexibility has plateaued a little bit. But it's such a relaxing way to end the day or a workout, I feel much better when I take the time to do it.

Meditation- 31/35

Missed out on this a little more than I would have liked to. I'd like to keep this habit especially strong through the rest of the challenge! I finally got paired with a meditation instructor at the BSC, and I get to meet her on Thursday. I can't wait! I'm sure that my next challenge will invoke some sort of meditation goal as well, but probably closer involved to working with her and things that come up in that area.

Training/Research- 33/35

This is one thing that I haven't skipped out on, simply because it seems I can't NOT do this anymore! I've extend the goal to include 'research' as well, because I've become very interested in a couple of specific topics (that have to do with art, design, economic and social/environmental issues), so a lot of my time has been delving in to research articles and the like. I feel good about devoting time to that kind of learning, though! Of course, my graphic design training is still getting love, as well.

Speaking of which, did you guys hear that NF is looking for a graphic designer? I wish to high heaven that I could apply, but I know that with my job, plus freelance clients, plus my personal projects there's no way I could devote the kind of time they deserve. If they can't find anyone decent in a given amount of time I might try and negotiate something, but I'm sure they'll find someone fantastic. :)

You're doing great!

^^^^ this. My body has gone from super flexible to laughable in 3 months following my surgery, but if you did it once, you will be able to do it again :) No fear! 

Speaking of which, did you guys hear that NF is looking for a graphic designer? I wish to high heaven that I could apply, but I know that with my job, plus freelance clients, plus my personal projects there's no way I could devote the kind of time they deserve. If they can't find anyone decent in a given amount of time I might try and negotiate something, but I'm sure they'll find someone fantastic. :)

I did and I thought of you, but wasn't sure if it was something you were able to do, as you mentioned. I think you would be amazing for it though if you wanted to do it. 

Oh, crunch weeks. Eek. I vaguely remember what those are like. They are not fun. Hopefully, though, pulling through well has demonstrated your quality to your clients/employers.

Also, it's funny how the maintenance stuff seems like a luxury but actually isn't.

Isn't it amazing! Once more I am struck by the truth in the expression saying that the more stress you feel, the more time you need to set aside for meditation, yoga, etc.

Bravo Leonine!

Excellent work!!!!  Those crunch weeks can be killer and you still did pretty much everything.  *hugs* 

Thanks Tei! *huggles* It was definitely killer, but I made it safe and sound!

^^^^ this. My body has gone from super flexible to laughable in 3 months following my surgery, but if you did it once, you will be able to do it again :) No fear! 

I did and I thought of you, but wasn't sure if it was something you were able to do, as you mentioned. I think you would be amazing for it though if you wanted to do it. 

It would be so cool! I really do wish I had the time, there's a lot of fun improvements that could be made. 

Oh, crunch weeks. Eek. I vaguely remember what those are like. They are not fun. Hopefully, though, pulling through well has demonstrated your quality to your clients/employers.

Also, it's funny how the maintenance stuff seems like a luxury but actually isn't.

It's kind of nice in a way, because it gives me a sense of job security. :P It's good to feel useful, but I wish there was a less stressful way to go about it! You're absolutely right about the maintenance stuff; it totally seems like fluff, but it's actually integral.

Isn't it amazing! Once more I am struck by the truth in the expression saying that the more stress you feel, the more time you need to set aside for meditation, yoga, etc.

Bravo Leonine!

Why thank you, Eve! You are so sweet and encouraging. :) I'm happy to report that the extra time spent meditating has been paying off!

WEEK 6 UPDATE:

My gosh, we're done with this one! It's over! While I tapered off in my updates (and wish I had stuck to a more frequent update schedule), I'm pretty pleased with how this one rolled along-

Stretching: Complete. 38/42

All in all, I really stuck to my guns on this one! Remembering to stretch directly after a workout (even if it meant ending 5-10 minutes earlier), and before bed really helped get me into a solid routine. While I'm not convinced I'm bendy enough to be a proper Catwoman (countdown to con: 2-3 weeks!), I'm really proud of how I've chipped away at improving my flexibility. Little steps get us there!

Score: 90.5% = A-

Meditation: Complete. 38/42

This definitely showed some big steps over the past six weeks! One of the coolest developments was that I finally got a meditation instructor; it took much longer than I expected, but I'm just so pleased with how it all turned out. She actually helped set up the center I go to, back in the 70's (she's been practicing for a long time), and is an amazing spirit. She helped me with my posture, taught me the technique for walking meditation, answered all my inane questions ("My left foot keeps falling asleep! Halp, what do?"), and assigned me some reading, as well as suggest an introductory weekend class that would be helpful for my continuation. I just couldn't be happier with this next step. I can imagine these encounters will help shape my next mindfulness goal!

Score: 90.5% = A-

Artistic Research/Training: Complete. 40/42

This goal was awesome, and I completed it regularly, but it pulled me in a lot of different directions that I wasn't expecting to go in. For example, while I thought I would spend  most of my time doing tutorials and freely creating, a lot of this time was allocated to overtime, client work and industry research. I feel good about it though; just because the work took a different form than I expected, doesn't mean that it won't help me become the very best, like no one ever was. I can feel my capability improving, and that's just so exciting!

Score: 95% = A!

WHEW! I guess like the last time, small and steady wins the goal-setting race. I feel like I've hit a good stride in balancing the size and intensity of my goals; they're not too big to be overwhelming, but they're frequent enough to require real dedication on my part, to keep up with them daily. This is something I hope to replicate in my next challenge!

• Like 1

WEEK 6 UPDATE:

WHEW! I guess like the last time, small and steady wins the goal-setting race. I feel like I've hit a good stride in balancing the size and intensity of my goals; they're not too big to be overwhelming, but they're frequent enough to require real dedication on my part, to keep up with them daily. This is something I hope to replicate in my next challenge!

Excellent work!  You were posting quite steadily until crunch time hit.  At that point, something has to slide.  Better your posting than your goals.  You certainly nailed them.  Is crunch time over now?

So glad you got your meditation instructor, that sounds so cool! 

Are you at the con? Not that you need to post, but just checking bc well...I want pix :)

And on another note...I am quite addicted to Dwarven Den now, thank you very much! :P I hate the mummies!!

I am interested to hear more about your formal meditation training...I totally wing it :)