Epic Side-challenge Thread

18ck

I  love to run, damn it!

I couldn't have said it better myself.  I think my biggest takeaway from this is how much I had forgotten how much running is a part of who I am, and how much I love it.  I think one concrete thing I will take away from this experience is that I need to run consistently in order to not wind up with binge-running injuries.  I plan on backing off a bit on the long runs in the coming months and concentrate on building a base fitness before tackling a long run again.  Running 10 miles last week was like breaking through a brick wall, but it left me sidelined for four days.  4 miles I can hit easily and not be devestated afterwards.

I learned a lot more things as well-- that my mania for running inthe early morning is not really healthy-- I strain my muscles too much running cold, and if I skip a workout I feel like a failure all day.  Running after work but before heading home is a lot better because it gets me out there more consistently, even if there is less time then. 

Handstands are hard!  I need to keep working on them and maybe walk it back to planks and bodyweight workouts before trying it again.  And maybe some work on my balance, which seems to be broken these days.

Level 3 Half Elf Scout

Str-- 3  Dex-- 2  Wis-- 3  Con-- 5  Sta-- 3  Cha-- 0 Int-- 2

I couldn't have said it better myself. I think my biggest takeaway from this is how much I had forgotten how much running is a part of who I am, and how much I love it. I think one concrete thing I will take away from this experience is that I need to run consistently in order to not wind up with binge-running injuries. I plan on backing off a bit on the long runs in the coming months and concentrate on building a base fitness before tackling a long run again. Running 10 miles last week was like breaking through a brick wall, but it left me sidelined for four days. 4 miles I can hit easily and not be devestated afterwards.

I learned a lot more things as well-- that my mania for running inthe early morning is not really healthy-- I strain my muscles too much running cold, and if I skip a workout I feel like a failure all day. Running after work but before heading home is a lot better because it gets me out there more consistently, even if there is less time then.

Handstands are hard! I need to keep working on them and maybe walk it back to planks and bodyweight workouts before trying it again. And maybe some work on my balance, which seems to be broken these days.

Right On, Colin.

I am so where you are right now. I ran twice this week already and I'm jonesing for more. But! I cannot spend my energy all in one place. If I learned nothing from this (which is far from true), I learned through all my changes this spring, that I AM capable of spreading my energies to more than one aspect of my life. It doesn't mean there's less motivation, I'm just focusing it in several areas of my life. If I continue this, I can see myself off disability and making it my own.

Okay didn't know all that was coming out! I really appreciate this side challenge. It kept me focused, especially running the first part. When I do it again, I want to try week 5 or 6 so I have to stay focused lo her.

Anywho! Thanks everyone for sticking with this. It made this challenge very enjoyable!!

:-)

I love to run, damn it!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Well let's see.  This challenge I have learnt:

1. I really and truly love biking - I'd rather be on a bike than running or lifting weights or many other forms of exercise. Guess that makes me a Scout, huh ;) 
  2. i'm not good with sugar and wheat combos - they make me super ill and crampy.
  3. Even when life throws a spanner (or 5000) into my exercise routine, i'm able to keep up with other things that still help me achieve my overarching goal

I've learnt a few other things, but right now i can't think ;D

• Like 2

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Just checking in! I've been pretty good while I've been home, no random junk food binges but probably too much drinking. I have kept up with my running, but not with BW exercises. So, winning some, losing some, but definitely a vast improvement from past trips home.

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

It was fun doing different guildies challenges :)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Lets see... lessons I have learnt during this challenge. 

1. Its good to mix it up and try things you don't usually do. Expanding horizons and such.

2. I am bad at keeping up with my exercise if it is not scheduled, so from now on I am going to make a schedule and try to stick with it! 

3. Jogging is still a bit hard for me, but I enjoy being outside more.

4. Eating choices effect how I feel about myself. If I eat something 'bad' its okay, but if I keep eating bad things I am only sabotaging myself.

5. Apparently I need to invest in bubble-wrap armour and some velcro pants :D

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

What have I learned?  1) I need way more sleep than I thought I did; 2) Done properly, I am allowed (by my PT) to do some progressively heavier weight lifting (corollary: done properly, biceps curls are really for strengthening the upper back, who knew?); 3) No matter how good my intentions, I remain terrible at posting to my challenge thread.  And I'm OK wth that.

What have you learned on this quest? What might you improve? What will you change moving forwards, so as to become that beautiful glowing, ever-improving magical creature?

I have learned that I really, truly appreciate this great group of people.  All my success this during this challenge is thanks to all of you. 

I've found the snags in my schedules and in my workout plans -- and where the two come crashing together.  Now I just need to figure out how to fix it, LOL!! 

(Thunderstorm walks off, talking to herself.  As she moves into the distance, several words can be heard on the breeze....... "next challenge"....... "figure it out"..."need a better plan".......).

Thunderstorm:  Level 3 Elf Scout

STR: 6.5  ~  DEX: 2  ~  STA: 3.5  ~  CON: 9.25  ~  WIS: 4.5  ~  CHA: 3

Feels like +1 Wisdom to me . . . you've gained knowledge and insight about yourself to apply to future endeavours.

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

Clan: Mek'het   *   Covenant: Invictus

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."

––G. K. Chesterton

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines