Piddip Primes Up for Parkour (Part Deux)!

Piddip

Hey guys,

Guess who's back? Back again? Piddip's back. Tell a friend.

Okay, so this is my fourth attempt at a challenge. My first, I completely bailed. My second, I completed. My third, I had to quit for private reasons. My fourth, I haven't done yet, 'cause this is it!

BREAK IT DOWN:

Main Quest: Get my body in tip-top condition to make the most of the playground we call earth.

First Objective: Do the Angry Birds Workout every 3 days. (4 STR, 1 STA)

Second Objective: Practise handstands for 5 mins a day, everyday. (4 STA, 1 STR)

Third Objective: Drink at least 1l of water a day. (3 CON)

Life Quest: Start homework the day I get it, or as soon as possible if that can't be done for whatever reasons. (2 WIS)

Also, since I FAIL at keeping myself accountable, I created a Google Docs. spreadsheet. Link here. The table to the left is my workout (I added leg lifts), and the table to the right is for comments, questions, anything really. You guys can go on there and say anything (as long as it's positive), and I'll do my best to reply.

And yes, I did create an all-new email address purely for this, so feel free to hit me up with a question or something like that.

See you guys soon,

Piddip.

P.S. Can someone give me advice for parkour rolls? I managed to fall onto my shoulder while doing one... How can I stop this happening? Go faster? Go slower?

• Like 1

Challenges: #1 | #2

Level 2 Pixie, hoping to become a Scout/Ranger/Assassin mix

STR: 1 | DEX: 2 | STA: 1 | CON: 13 | WIS: 3CHA: 2

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

I love your spreadsheet and organization!  For parkour stuff, you may want to add some exercise in the pull-up family (pull-ups if you can, maybe negatives or flex hangs if you can't do a pull-up) as well as some sort of jumping exercise (box jumps, tuck jumps, etc.)

I don't know that I have great advice for the PK roll.  Usually, I kind of made a circle with my arms, angled at about 45 degrees, and then made a point of rolling all the way down my top arm.  It's really one of those skills that you need to practice over and over until you kind of get the feel for it and can make the adjustments.  I hope you have access to a mat or something soft.  This tutorial is pretty good, but I'm not overly fond of the first (kneeling) progression: 

Good luck with the challenge!

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I love your spreadsheet and organization!  For parkour stuff, you may want to add some exercise in the pull-up family (pull-ups if you can, maybe negatives or flex hangs if you can't do a pull-up) as well as some sort of jumping exercise (box jumps, tuck jumps, etc.)

Thanks! IT isn't my best subject, but I get by. The back exercises gradually build up to pull-ups,and the squats gradually build up to jump squats, so I'll get there in the end. All the progressions are on sheet two, if you wanna go over and see if I can make any changes.

I'm bad at parkour but ok at program design. Would you consider adding some pulling motions (deadlift, cleans, swings) into your workouts?

I thought that I get that from inverted rows/pull-ups? Anyways, I wanna use just my bodyweight, so those exercises are out, at least until I decide I wanna get into weightlifting. Thanks for the advice though!

I don't know that I have great advice for the PK roll.  Usually, I kind of made a circle with my arms, angled at about 45 degrees, and then made a point of rolling all the way down my top arm.  It's really one of those skills that you need to practice over and over until you kind of get the feel for it and can make the adjustments.  I hope you have access to a mat or something soft.  This tutorial is pretty good, but I'm not overly fond of the first (kneeling) progression:  [LINK]

Okay, I'll get to practising! I don't have a mat, and that might be where I've gone wrong - at least for starting. I used this video for my tutorial: 

Thanks man. I'll go check out your challenge in a sec :D

I can't give you advice on parkour rolls (looks like Nymeria has that sorted though :P ) But I can give you support :D

I really like your spreadsheet idea to keep you accountable, I'm sure we'll all stalk it to make sure you're doing what you should be :P 

I'm sure you'll do awesome and I look forward to seeing how it goes :D

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

I don't know that I have great advice for the PK roll.  Usually, I kind of made a circle with my arms, angled at about 45 degrees, and then made a point of rolling all the way down my top arm.  It's really one of those skills that you need to practice over and over until you kind of get the feel for it and can make the adjustments.  I hope you have access to a mat or something soft.  This tutorial is pretty good, but I'm not overly fond of the first (kneeling) progression: 

This was the exact video I thought of after the question of parkour rolls. And actually, for me, the kneeling one helped the most with not bashing in my shoulder. I did that one for about 2 weeks before moving up in progression and I almost never hit my shoulder any more, it kind of works the muscle memory.

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

I can't give you advice on parkour rolls (looks like Nymeria has that sorted though :tongue: ) But I can give you support :D

I really like your spreadsheet idea to keep you accountable, I'm sure we'll all stalk it to make sure you're doing what you should be :tongue: 

I'm sure you'll do awesome and I look forward to seeing how it goes :D

I'll need all the support I can get, to be honest :) Yeah, we have to do something similar for school, so I thought why not apply this to something I actually care about? I don't know about awesome, but I hope I can pass. Keep watching this thread, I may need your help in the future!

Ditto.  Also going to steal training videos cause I'm lazy about tracking them down myself.

Thanks dude/dudette! The video comes from this website. I checked out your challenge, it looks awesome!

This was the exact video I thought of after the question of parkour rolls. And actually, for me, the kneeling one helped the most with not bashing in my shoulder. I did that one for about 2 weeks before moving up in progression and I almost never hit my shoulder any more, it kind of works the muscle memory.

I'll try it out, although I am worried about crushing my fingers. Did this happen often (if at all) when you were doing it?

Thanks for the support guys and gals!

I'll try it out, although I am worried about crushing my fingers. Did this happen often (if at all) when you were doing it?

Thanks for the support guys and gals!

A little bit like the first three or four times, but I wouldn't neccesarily say "crushing", it was more like "whoops that feels weird, let's try to adjust the mechanics here." and then it actually helped me to figure out how to tuck my shoulder properly and roll "under" instead of "down" to avoid standing on my hand, and this kept me from shoulder slamming.

reading over this sounds very convoluted...

I hope any of that makes sense.

Also doing this barefoot and on grass helps prevent crushed-hand syndrome.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Your progressions look pretty reasonable.  The only issue I have is that while there is some translation between horizontal pulls (inverted rows) and vertical pulls (pull-ups), I don't know that the inverted rows will really help you that much with getting to a pull-up.  Most progressions I've seen have negative pull-ups or band assisted pull-ups right before doing unassisted pull-ups.  If you are capable of doing a negative or assisted ones, you should consider adding those to the workout. 

I agree completely to do the rolls without shoes.  It doesn't really matter that much if you have a mat or if you're just using a grassy field, but the bigger issue is that you have to do lots and lots of rolls to get the muscle memory down and make them smooth.  If doing them wherever you are doing them is making you hurt your shoulder and then only do 10 or so in a session, you really need to find something softer so you can increase volume.  I learned them through martial arts rather than parkour, and in the early stages, we did at least 30-50 rolls in each class.

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

A little bit like the first three or four times, but I wouldn't neccesarily say "crushing", it was more like "whoops that feels weird, let's try to adjust the mechanics here." and then it actually helped me to figure out how to tuck my shoulder properly and roll "under" instead of "down" to avoid standing on my hand, and this kept me from shoulder slamming.

reading over this sounds very convoluted...

I hope any of that makes sense.

Also doing this barefoot and on grass helps prevent crushed-hand syndrome.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'd try it out on grass but my dogs have made my garden into their private pooping den. Isn't it lovely. I guess I'll just have to buy a mat or five...

Your progressions look pretty reasonable.  The only issue I have is that while there is some translation between horizontal pulls (inverted rows) and vertical pulls (pull-ups), I don't know that the inverted rows will really help you that much with getting to a pull-up.  Most progressions I've seen have negative pull-ups or band assisted pull-ups right before doing unassisted pull-ups.  If you are capable of doing a negative or assisted ones, you should consider adding those to the workout. 

I agree completely to do the rolls without shoes.  It doesn't really matter that much if you have a mat or if you're just using a grassy field, but the bigger issue is that you have to do lots and lots of rolls to get the muscle memory down and make them smooth.  If doing them wherever you are doing them is making you hurt your shoulder and then only do 10 or so in a session, you really need to find something softer so you can increase volume.  I learned them through martial arts rather than parkour, and in the early stages, we did at least 30-50 rolls in each class.

I think the main purpose of the inverted rows is to build up some kind of strength, just to make it easier when I actually get around to doing the pull-ups. Steve did this article on it, and I think I'm going to follow that outline. Okay, so lots of rolling is in my future, huh? I'm so glad I don't get seasick...

Thanks for the advice guys!

Finally got a look at your spreadsheet (work computers don't like google docs) and I'm a little concerned with your squat progression.  A set of 30 is well past any strength building, so you should probably look into increasing the exercise difficulty.  I'm not familiar with the Angry Birds workout, but Start Bodyweight has a pretty extensive squat progression (along with a lot of other exercises).  You could also look into box jumps or jump tucks to work on parkour skills more directly.

Just my 2cents, as I get bored doing a single exercise for that long.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Finally got a look at your spreadsheet (work computers don't like google docs) and I'm a little concerned with your squat progression.  A set of 30 is well past any strength building, so you should probably look into increasing the exercise difficulty.  I'm not familiar with the Angry Birds workout, but Start Bodyweight has a pretty extensive squat progression (along with a lot of other exercises).  You could also look into box jumps or jump tucks to work on parkour skills more directly.

Wow i LOVE this progression for squats! I'm stealing this  :onthego:  *runs off with website rolled up under her arm*

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Wow, great advice! How would you suggest I change the progression? The progression I have already is part of the ABWorkout, so I don't really know how else to do it. Would it be possible for you to go on the spreadsheet and give me an example of a progression like the one you linked? That was incredibly helpful by the way, so thanks!

Also stealing your videos. Plan to start practicing tomorrow. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks for the support! :)

really don't wanna do my squats today. Motivate me?

Wow, great advice! How would you suggest I change the progression? The progression I have already is part of the ABWorkout, so I don't really know how else to do it. Would it be possible for you to go on the spreadsheet and give me an example of a progression like the one you linked? That was incredibly helpful by the way, so thanks!

I'll try to take another look at your spreadsheet when I get home, but I may not have time till tomorrow (DnD tonight, sorry :playful: ).  IIRC, you have a workout planned tonight, so given that you're already doing sets of 30+ standard squats, I'd recommend trying assisted pistol squats.  Focus on form starting out, as balance tends to be the most difficult part.  Start out alternating legs each rep to avoid fatigue; after you get the form down you can switch to single leg sets to focus on strength.  Also the deeper you go, the harder it is.

I skipped from assisted pistols to pistols, but am now planning to go back to balance assisted pistols so I can get more than 1-2 reps before falling over. But YMMV.

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

really don't wanna do my squats today. Motivate me?

Have you tried box jumps or tuck jumps?  They're like squats, except you get to fly.

I looked up the Angry Birds Workout, and while I understand the point of it, I don't think it really addresses an Assassin's goals.  As summarized in Strength Training 101 (especially the chart about halfway down), sets of anything past 20 falls into the "silliness, madness, death" range and only really improves capillarity, lactate generation, and pain tolerance.

Personally, I try to fall in the 3-5 rep range to focus on strength, power, and neural adaption, but may work my way up to sets of 10-15 before changing exercises.  So if I were going to adapt the Angry Birds workout for my goals, it would look something like this for squats:

Lvl 1: 30 BW squats

Lvl 2: 30 Deep (AtG) BW squats

Lvl 3: 30 Assisted Pistol squats

Lvl 4: 30 Balance Assisted Pistol squats

Lvl 5: 30 Pistol squats

Depending on your individual goals, you could also make a progression of increasing the height on box jumps.  Or you can add levels in between with increased rep targets for each exercise to build more endurance before moving on.  Though personally, if I want to focus on endurance, I do Tabatas.

As I mentioned before, it really depends on your specific goals and YMMV, so experiment a little and find what you enjoy.

I looked up the Angry Birds Workout, and while I understand the point of it, I don't think it really addresses an Assassin's goals.  As summarized in Strength Training 101 (especially the chart about halfway down), sets of anything past 20 falls into the "silliness, madness, death" range and only really improves capillarity, lactate generation, and pain tolerance.

Personally, I try to fall in the 3-5 rep range to focus on strength, power, and neural adaption, but may work my way up to sets of 10-15 before changing exercises.  So if I were going to adapt the Angry Birds workout for my goals, it would look something like this for squats:

Lvl 1: 30 BW squats

Lvl 2: 30 Deep (AtG) BW squats

Lvl 3: 30 Assisted Pistol squats

Lvl 4: 30 Balance Assisted Pistol squats

Lvl 5: 30 Pistol squats

Depending on your individual goals, you could also make a progression of increasing the height on box jumps.  Or you can add levels in between with increased rep targets for each exercise to build more endurance before moving on.  Though personally, if I want to focus on endurance, I do Tabatas.

As I mentioned before, it really depends on your specific goals and YMMV, so experiment a little and find what you enjoy.

Okay, so I adjusted my progression for squats a little, so if you wanna check that out, that'd be great. I checked out the Tabata method, and I can safely say it's something I'll attempt in the future. The very far away, distant future.

I'm feeling really queasy right now, so I may have to put the workout off until tomorrow, but it may disappear later so hopefully I can get it done today

Tabata's aren't difficult until you try them, honest. :playful:

If you're not feeling well, it may be worth it to take an extra rest day, just try not to let it go further than that.  I've found that a good workout helps me kick minor colds, though that may just be psychological.

• Like 1

Yeah, but neither is maths!  :friendly_wink:

I'm feeling better today, but not perfect, so I might just have a day off today, also. Next time I get the flu I'll do some push-ups, eh?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines