• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zenaxavoir

Nax completes the pre-reqs.

The recipe I was following said to let it simmer for 15 to 20 mins, but I went on the Internet and completely forgot about the quinoa...until about 45 mins later lol. So I was all like FFFFFFUUUUUUUU because my first thought was that the quinoa would be completely ruined. There was an antire layer (or three) of quinoa burnt to a crisp and stuck to the edges of the pan, and it was a pain to scrape it all off :tongue: (I did not know at the time that it would still be good.)

Gym time soon...and then cool shower. I have to wash my hair, too :(

EDIT, so I don't keep spamming in my own thread:

1. So when I'm already cold, the "cool" shower feels a little bit warm. I'll make sure I'm already freezing when I hop into the shower from now on.

2. WTFFFFFFF THERE ARE UGLY-ASS YELLOW STAINS ON MY TEETH D: The two front ones. The ones that everyone sees first. I checked the backs of them with a little mirror and it's even worse. This pisses me off on so many levels. Did I mention that I have no more dental insurance? I use this to clean my teeth, and the reviews for it are all good and great, and I'm pretty damned OCD about brushing and flossing once daily or more (I just fail to do it right before bed sometimes), so I know it's not due to lack of care.

A quick Google search tells me that red wine, coffee and tea are the main culprits when it comes to stained teeth and general enamel destruction.

Darth_vader_no.gif

THESE ARE ALL MY FAVORITE THINGS

pPT6zA9.jpg

Looks like tonight will be a tequila night.

• Like 1

Nax!! I've been doing something called Oil Pulling and (even though I don't consume and teeth staining products) my teeth are getting noticeably whiter!! All I do is melt coconut oil in hot water (I stick the container in a small bowl of hot water and wait for it to become liquid) and take a tablespoon of it and swish it around in my mouth for 20 mins. You should try it. :)

Oil pulling (especially with coconut oil) really helps with stained teeth and helps protect against enamel destruction. No harm in trying I think!

Naaria, great idea! :D I might have a go at that as well, even though my teeth are naturally very white. They have lots of blues in them, which make them appear very white. But Nax, this coconut oil thing could be an idea for you. I could've told you too that coffee, red wine and black tea can discolour your teeth. So does smoking. Anyway, about the tea. It's mainly black tea that stains your teeth. If you drink green tea or self-made herbal tea you're alright. Just not the black caffeinated tea. That's really killing for your teeth colour.

Anyway, since you're all rage about your teeth (which I can understand perfectly) I thought some Loki would cheer you up. 

tumblr_m7zs9sAQSC1rsy50k.gif

tumblr_m93vathKXn1rxfhv8o1_500.gif

loki%20gif.gif

Yes, Loki and his perfectly white teeth. Must copy!

Nax!! I've been doing something called Oil Pulling and (even though I don't consume and teeth staining products) my teeth are getting noticeably whiter!! All I do is melt coconut oil in hot water (I stick the container in a small bowl of hot water and wait for it to become liquid) and take a tablespoon of it and swish it around in my mouth for 20 mins. You should try it. :)

Oil pulling (especially with coconut oil) really helps with stained teeth and helps protect against enamel destruction. No harm in trying I think!

Thanks for the reminder about oil pulling. I've done it before a few times, actually, just not recently. Needless to say, I shoved a spoonful of coconut oil in my mouth upon reading this XD Yep, I have oil in my mouth right now.

Naaria, great idea! :D I might have a go at that as well, even though my teeth are naturally very white. They have lots of blues in them, which make them appear very white. But Nax, this coconut oil thing could be an idea for you. I could've told you too that coffee, red wine and black tea can discolour your teeth. So does smoking. Anyway, about the tea. It's mainly black tea that stains your teeth. If you drink green tea or self-made herbal tea you're alright. Just not the black caffeinated tea. That's really killing for your teeth colour.

I knew about the staining properties of these beverages, it just baffled the hell out of me how the staining and grossness seemed to happen overnight, especially since I've been having less red wine, less coffee, and more water lately, as well as brushing and flossing more often x_x

I have a few ideas about what might have happened:

- We bought a new brand of red wine this weekend, maybe it stains worse than the usual brand.

- I've been using that powder toothpaste for a few weeks. Even though most people left positive reviews about it, maybe it doesn't work that well for me?

- I've been wearing the retainer again lately. What if it's scraping the front of my teeth, making it more abrasive and collecting stains (and bacteria) more easily?

I'm not a dental health professional, but I'll probably 1) switch back to the regular shampoo, 2) have other alcohol besides wine, and 3) try to have less than 3 cups of coffee per day. I'm not sure what I'll do about the retainer yet.

All I do know is that these stains better GTFO before I have any job interviews.

:nightmare: Sooo, Nax? "No more than two nights a week"?!

I'm right here :nightmare:  And I REALLY wanted a glass of red wine tonight. And I DIDN'T.

Quinoa is not that hard when you focus on the cooking instead of internet What will you have with the quinoa?

Yeeeaaah, the long weekend (and people making drinks and going "HERE TRY THIS") is throwing me off a little a lot :( But! I am making it a point to get Lumosity and as many challenge goals done before any buzz is felt. I've succeeded with that so far, at least! My wine cravings will probably be next to non-existent until the tooth-staining issue is resolved, too. Seriously. There's a box of wine in the entryway, and I don't even want to touch it right now.

For the cooking: the recipe simply said to let the pot contents simmer for 15 mins. I can't just...stare at it for 15 mins. It would feel like I'm watching paint dry. I'll at least set a timer next time, though, instead of telling myself that I'll remember. We ended up having a quinoa salad with tomatoes, cucumbers and green onions thrown in. It was simple, yet delicious X) ...and all gone. I need to make more, and hope this batch doesn't disappear.

Scores so far:

1.1, Lumosity: done

1.2, sleep: pass (7 to 8h)

Vanity goals:

1.3.1, picking: 22

1.3.2, water: pass (6)

1.3.3, sober: fail

1.3.4, nails: pass

1.3.5, brush/floss: pass

1.3.6, colder shower: pass ...and figured out a way to make it more bearable!

1.3.7, relax face: N/A

1.3.8, quinoa: N/A, but bought more anyway. AND THEN MADE SOME! But it's pasty. I'll get this some day.

1.3.9, wear retainer: fail (but done overnight)

1.3.10, less coffee: pass (3)

EDIT:

1. The quinoa has been made! It's all pasty, though, so I probably did it wrong. Oh well, it still tastes okay and I'm not fussy. 5/10 again. It's also saved me from peanut butter cravings twice already, bwaha!

2. Coconut water and tequila go well together, but I was being paranoid that the coconut water might add calories, so now I'm just having tequila with an ice cube, and HOLY SHIT I HAD FORGOTTEN THE MAGIC THAT WAS TEQUILA! It's bad because it's alcohol, but it's good because...I don't know how, but whenever I have it (within reason) I become wide awake and productive. I am in THE ZONE and totally making progress on this cover letter! Going for two cover letters after, too. YEEYUH!

• Like 1

Ah yes, I understand you want it all gone (the stains, durrr I'm not being clear) before job interviews. Have you applied for more jobs already then? :)

Not yet, but I'm about to apply at a few more, though: two car dealerships, one for UPS (part-time) and then some more at various hardware stores. Maybe one at the comic shop, too, but my cover letter for that one isn't near ready XD

Also, the quinoa is gone again. Watch me end up making some every day now.

Aaaand the pressuring to go out to the bars tonight has already begun. FFS. I just wanted to sit at home and work on shit. I have to be at the gym at 6:30 tomorrow, too -_-

Heya, I had a talk with my mum and asked her if she knew anything about what to do about stained teeth. She said you should check whether you mainly breathe through your mouth or through your nose. If you breathe through your mouth too much you can get stained teeth too. She also told me to tell you that you can have a go with sage. You can rub the fresh sage leafs on your teeth regularly. It's disinfecting and it helps get the white colour back. :) Hopefully it helps.

Which of the jobs you've applied for does appeal to you most? Also, don't forget to send letters a week after your first letter, if you haven't received any reply back. It's good to be like a pitbull and not let go too easily. You can do it.

Honestly? So far the job at Costco appeals to me the most, mainly because they pay good wages and I heard it was reasonably easy to go up in ranks. It would be just "a job", but one I could tolerate and would leave me with enough $$$ to pursue the things I like on the side.

UPS might be similar, too. I heard they also treated their employees well and had lots of room for advancement.

Keeping my fingers crossed X)

EDIT: Woops. Forgot to say that I usually do follow up within a week after applying anywhere. I've read in some places that following up more than twice gave off that desperation vibe, though, and was to be avoided :\

Looks like you're off to a running start this go-round. Quinoa is awesome. It's been a while since we've had it, though - hmm - time to dust off my quinoa salad recipe, methinks...

Just a word of advice - if you're writing cover letters while drinking tequila - don't send them out until you've proofed them the next day!  :very_drunk: 

AAAARGH. I had a long reply written here, filled with all sorts of insights and reflections. Then I had to step away from the comp for a while and when I came back, bam, post was gone. WTF.

1.1, Lumosity: done

1.2, sleep: fail (close to 6h though)

Vanity goals:

1.3.1, picking: 36 I think?

1.3.2, water: fail (5)

1.3.3, sober: fail

1.3.4, nails: fail

1.3.5, brush/floss: fail

1.3.6, colder shower: N/A

1.3.8, quinoa: N/A

1.3.9, wear retainer: fail

I'll try to re-write everything else later. Assuming I can sit long enough to write a post. It was along the following lines: gave in to peer pressure (again), felt like a failure because of it, wondered to myself how I'm supposed to say no to people, etc.

There was some positivity somewhere in there, clouds having a silver lining and all that, but I can't even think of what that is anymore. I'm mainly just pissed that the post I made before is gone.

Looks like you're off to a running start this go-round. Quinoa is awesome. It's been a while since we've had it, though - hmm - time to dust off my quinoa salad recipe, methinks...

Just a word of advice - if you're writing cover letters while drinking tequila - don't send them out until you've proofed them the next day!  :very_drunk: 

Running start FTW! I kind of tripped over my own feet during the long weekend, but I'm back on track now that it's over with. And here I used to look forward to long weekends. Well, okay, I still do, but the social obligations that inevitably arise during long weekends are just...ugh.

And yeah, I totally proofread haha! That was my motto when writing papers: write drunk, edit sober! Otherwise I just can't stand writing. And all the career counseling workshops said that writer was a good career choice for me lol!

But yeah...how do I say no to my friends when they invite me to something and I want to just vegetate on the Internet instead? I'm just scared that if I say no too often then they'll stop inviting me. Sometimes I wish I could just become a hermit and live in a magical location in the woods that has WiFi, but then I'd probably get lonely. Let's just say I never learned how2social in my life, ever.

^ Aaaand I hope no employers ever read this.

Gawd, that's nasty, that that post just vanished... 

As for the peer pressure, I know it is hard. I have the same thing when my friends are going to the cantine to get themselves a freshly baked brownie and I have to try and resist buying anything. It's rare that I'm able to resist. There are a few things that work for me, though... I've discussed with my friends that I want to lose weight, so they'll make comments when I am about to buy something. Sometimes that can help, only it's hard when they are buying something. When they're not buying anything it's easier to say no. You could also try some kind of prize system for yourself. If you don't give in you're allowed to do something you normally don't do, which is fun and not unhealthy, like buying an awesome magazine for yourself or buying yourself some flowers...

You are not a failure, though. Really, skip that thought immediately. If you start thinking more positively about yourself, it'll become visible in your face, which will also help you get jobs in the end. When you think positively of yourself you'll have a better mental health, you'll be able to deal with problems much better, you'll feel better and more energetic, which will increase the fun for both you and the people around you. You may have failed this once, you may fail another 10 times, but as long as you keep trying every single time, it's no wasted effort. Winners fail 100 times and then win, losers fail 1 time and give up. I know you're a winner, Nax, so don't give up. It may be hard for you now, but there will be better times and you'll rock the stars out of the sky. :D

Monday (Apr 21) scores:

1.1, Lumosity: pass
1.2, sleep: fail*

Vanity goals:
1.3.1, picking: 21
1.3.3, sober: pass
1.3.6, colder shower: fail**
1.3.9, wear retainer: fail (but wore it overnight)
1.3.10, less coffee: pass

* I went to bed at 11, but didn't manage to fall asleep until almost midnight. Then I woke up several times during the night -_-

** I took a bath instead of showering. I can tolerate a cold(er) shower, but to hell with taking a bath that isn't warm lol. The water wasn't scorching hot, but probably didn't qualify as room temperature, either.

As for the peer pressure, I know it is hard. I have the same thing when my friends are going to the cantine to get themselves a freshly baked brownie and I have to try and resist buying anything. It's rare that I'm able to resist. There are a few things that work for me, though... I've discussed with my friends that I want to lose weight, so they'll make comments when I am about to buy something. Sometimes that can help, only it's hard when they are buying something. When they're not buying anything it's easier to say no. You could also try some kind of prize system for yourself. If you don't give in you're allowed to do something you normally don't do, which is fun and not unhealthy, like buying an awesome magazine for yourself or buying yourself some flowers...

You are not a failure, though. Really, skip that thought immediately. If you start thinking more positively about yourself, it'll become visible in your face, which will also help you get jobs in the end. When you think positively of yourself you'll have a better mental health, you'll be able to deal with problems much better, you'll feel better and more energetic, which will increase the fun for both you and the people around you. You may have failed this once, you may fail another 10 times, but as long as you keep trying every single time, it's no wasted effort. Winners fail 100 times and then win, losers fail 1 time and give up. I know you're a winner, Nax, so don't give up. It may be hard for you now, but there will be better times and you'll rock the stars out of the sky. :D

Yeaaaah, I might have been a little hasty and angry when I wrote the last post lol. I was mainly beating myself up because I went clubbing and really didn't need to do that ;P And Eve posted angry smileys at me when I screwed up and drank Saturday, and then I...screwed up again. Aaaah!

I feel better now, though, mainly because I managed to get on the shuttle-runs-from-hell leader board at the gym yesterday. YEEYUH! High score for women at 146! 2nd and 3rd are 145 and 144.5, though, so if I slack I'll probably get bumped off D: There's some guys who got 155 and 151, and I'm just looking at those numbers and being all like WTFFFF HOW!?? because I was on the ground with lungs on fire after barely getting 146. I guess this type of competition can be considered positive peer pressure?

But yes, negative peer pressure: I have no clue how come I have willpower for certain things (not eating junk) and not for others (drinking) because it makes no sense. Similarly, I have no idea why I have a positive attitude with more physical tasks and zero confidence academically and with mental tasks in general. For example, when I used to do kickboxing and get my ass handed to me by someone better, I saw it as a learning experience and told myself that I'd do better the next time. Or if there's something I can't do at the gym, the same thing applies because it's a gradual process and results will come in time. On the other hand, if I got a bad grade on an exam (below 85%) then I went all like FUUUUCK, I'M NOT WORTHY OF EVEN BEING HERE, I'M SUCH A FAILURE, OMG THE PROFS WILL THINK SO MUCH LESS OF ME AND I SHOULD JUST QUIT AND WHAT AM I GONNA DOOOO :( : ( :( ...completely opposite responses to setbacks in different situations. Damn shame, too, because I know that the latter one is holding me back.

Going to edit this more later. Guess who's running late again? :D

EDIT: More misc./random thoughts:

At the last mindfulness workshop there was a discussion about intuitive decision-making, which is great because I suck at making decisions. Basically all it was is that, instead of making a long list of pros and cons for each available choice and over-analyzing the decision to death, instead thinkof one option and ask yourself: "Does this feel heavy or light?" ...surprisingly effective! (And I used this later that day to make the decision to not go to the movies XD I might go tonight.)

Anyway. On Sunday evening, going to the club felt "light" for some reason. It usually doesn't, especially in a time where lack of funds is a significant problem. Maybe it was a combination of not having gone out in about four months, having non-wine liquor available, and the fact that the DJ playing was one of our favorites and would be moving away in a few weeks. Did I mention long weekend? At least now I'm all clubbed out for another four months...unless someone plans a cosplay pub crawl after the next East Coast Comic Expo or Animaritimes convention. I shall drink like a god!

There's got to be a way to change my way of thinking in order to make drinking overall feel "heavy", then I'd never want to drink lol. Or I would at least want to drink a whole lot less. I've mentioned self-hypnosis before, too, and there's a basic guide for it in the Mentalist book, so I might look into that now that I have a wee bit more free time.

If you have will power for one thing, you can have it for all things! It's all in your mind, maaan~

Keep it up, try to pep talk yourself into not giving in!

Tuesday (Apr 22) scores:

1.2, sleep: will pass, because it's only 10 right now and I'm about to pass out.

Vanity goals:
1.3.1, picking: 39
1.3.2, water: pass (drinking 7th as I type)
1.3.5, brush/floss: will pass in about 5 mins
1.3.6, colder shower: pass
1.3.9, wear retainer: fail (will wear it overnight)
1.3.10, less coffee: pass

Week 1 report: did all right with the main quests until the long weekend. All good again. didn't do so hot with the life quest of getting a job yet, but I wrote a few more cover letters and was referred for a job by one of my friends :D I'll edit this tomorrow or post again tomorrow, because I need to catch up on sleep. Tomorrow is rest day, so I don't have to be up ridiculously early.

If you have will power for one thing, you can have it for all things! It's all in your mind, maaan~

Keep it up, try to pep talk yourself into not giving in!

I just wish I could figure out the reason why this happens, 'cause it makes no sense. I think Lumosity is helping with my mental confidence, actually: it's based on mental performance, and everyone has a bad game or a bad day once in a while, myself being no exception. Maybe I'll get used to this after a few more weeks? My scores have been a little bit better lately, too. I'm assuming it's because I am sleeping more and staying hydrated :P

I think Lumosity is one of the only challenge goals I've hit every day so far, which is great.

• Like 1

Boom! Interview for this aforementioned job in about 2 hours.

"So Nax? What is this awesome job that you might be getting?" You ask?

Housekeeping.

Yes. I know. It's not the most glorious job in the world, but it's something I've done before and it won't be stressful in the least bit. On the other hand, it will make me less stressed because I'll have money. It is also part-time and with very sane hours.

Pros:

- Part-time, allowing me ample time to complete my thesis

- 5 hours per day, sometimes 6. This will not leave me exhausted

- Hours do not cut into ANY of my gym and extracurricular activity time slots!

- No overnight shifts

- I already know how to do this job

- Physical job: I am totally going to lose weight lol

Cons:

- Will likely have to work during all (or most) weekends

- It's, well, housekeeping

This is assuming I even get the job, anyway. They have a lot to gain by hiring me, but they might also be scared that I'll GTFO if I get a better offer x_X I could see myself working there over the summer, though. Or until I graduate.

• Like 1

1.2, sleep: fail. Again, in bed before 11 but couldn't fall asleep until way later. Woke up every hour after that? Of course -_-

Vanity goals:
1.3.1, picking: 69. WTF, I could just NOT stop x_x
1.3.2, water: pass, 7
1.3.9, wear retainer: pass
1.3.10, less coffee: pass (2)

Will update goals again before bed. Updated.

Also, unless I get a call stating otherwise, I got the job. Yay for no longer having to worry about money for a while!

P89zzb3.gif

Next Monday.

It was just...whoa. The general manager and I really got along, and I knew people there to begin with, and I essentially got the job right there at the end of the interview. And by "interview" I really mean "chat punctuated with lulz here and there." Not complaining. Apparently the hotel is being bought by a new company who will want to raise the standards, and also plans to make employee satisfaction of utmost importance. Things like getting benefits if you work more than 25 hours per week, not overburdening employees, and offering variety in the tasks employees do in terms of positions.

It's like the Costco of hotels. If I can make higher wages fairly quickly, working there might actually be a keeper o_o

• Like 1

Fo' sho'! The irony is sort of epic, though. I mean back in 2005 I was desperate to get away from my then housekeeping job (many hours, no benefits, surprise work days at the last minute, general overburdening) and now I'm elated at the thought of doing it again, albeit in a more sane setting...after 8 years of school o_O Oh well. MONEY! And free time, and stuff! I'm sure I can get something better eventually if I want to, but for now it's like landing in a last-minute safety net after free-falling toward a spiky pit for the last 6 months. Aaaahh, the difference in perspective one gets after applying the shitty-economy glasses!

The interview was kind of baffling, actually. I remember seeing a large stack of resumes for the job, and yet because I got in first and knew people, most of the other ones probably won't even be looked at. It's just...wow. So even the so-called "lesser" jobs have piles of people competing for them, which kinda' makes me appreciate said jobs more! Also, the fact that it's not fast food lol.

The economy has to rebound at some point, though, right? And even though I'm not in my field, I can still keep all that knowledge memorized for the hell of it. And because the look on people's faces when I tell them all about coffee or alcohol metabolism is priceless.

Right. Tuition money before May 1st...need to get on that.

Yesterday's scores:

1.2, sleep: pass...was in bed at 10:59 lol, and managed to sleep before 11:30.

Vanity goals:
1.3.1, picking: 39. I need to wear gloves all day or something.
1.3.2, water: pass, 7
1.3.9, wear retainer: pass

Thanks! And yeah, the thing about the benefits sort of blew my mind when the GM told me about it lol.

Today's scores so far...

1.2, sleep: pass (roughly 8h)

Vanity goals:
1.3.1, picking: 44
1.3.3, sober: fail, because Friday
1.3.4, nails: pseudo-pass, because they cleaned themselves when I washed my hair lol
1.3.5, brush/floss: fail
1.3.6, colder shower: pass. AHAHAHA THE COOLER WATER ACTUALLY FELT WARM!
1.3.8, quinoa: (postponed to Saturday because I had no kitchen space yesterday)
1.3.9, wear retainer: fail (I wore it for about 1.5 hours, but that's not really enough to be considered a pass)
1.3.10, less coffee: fail. I had 3 coffees and was going to stop there, but then I absentmindedly had some Chinese tea along with people from work at the restaurant. It only dawned on me that it might contain caffeine after I had about 2 cups. D'oh!

ERMAHGERD You got a job! :D Congratulations! *throws confetti* I'm so happy for you. It must be a burden falling off your shoulders. It's great to hear that the interview was so much fun too, it's a great way to start and it'll get you excited to start working again. :D I mean, I would be excited. So what kind of job is it >exactly< ? Anyway, yay money!

giphy.gif