Subbing.  Clearly.

Oooo, Stadium stuffs.  I'm sensing I will be giving you many rides in the near future.  Awesome.

(Also, I fully appreciate having not-guild-appropriate challenges and staying there anyway.  I <3 my Monks in a similar vein.)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Soooo I definitely thought this gonna be all about Rugby and I got super excited. I also googled the GoRuck challenge, assuming it was a rugger skills showcase. Holy shit though, that sounds awesome! Good luck to you and your beastly challenge. 

RedCedar uses the pronouns they/them/theirs. What pronouns do you prefer? 

Here is a fun game to help learn/practice pronouns that might be new to you: http://minus18.org.au/pronouns-app/

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

I said to the sun, "tell me about the Big Bang".

The sun said, "It hurts to become." 
~A.G. 

Sunday lunch sounds awesome! You do have a pretty busy schedule for someone who should be letting a foot heal. But I'm sure you'll adapt as necessary. Injury sucks big time.. it's always so difficult to know what to do.. You seem to err on the side of doing too much, while I err on the side of doing too little. We should swap a little.

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Haha, nice timing with getting a hardcore event at the end of the 6-week challenge for at least the second time in a row! I'll obvs be watching your thread because you're doing something novel and you write some good stuff :)

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Subbing.  Clearly.

Oooo, Stadium stuffs.  I'm sensing I will be giving you many rides in the near future.  Awesome.

(Also, I fully appreciate having not-guild-appropriate challenges and staying there anyway.  I <3 my Monks in a similar vein.)

Yes! Now that it doesn't matter if my calves are crippled for days (in fact, it'll probably be helpful for ruck training to deal with sore calves), I am ready for stadium body punishment. :)

Soooo I definitely thought this gonna be all about Rugby and I got super excited. I also googled the GoRuck challenge, assuming it was a rugger skills showcase. Holy shit though, that sounds awesome! Good luck to you and your beastly challenge. 

Two of my good friends play rugby, so I always thought of ruck as a rugby thing rather than a military thing for a long long time. Rucksack is just a silly, outdated word, right? Somehow, the definition has shifted completely in my mind. Sorry to get your hopes up! Thanks for the good wishes, though -- totally gonna need them.

Sunday lunch sounds awesome! You do have a pretty busy schedule for someone who should be letting a foot heal. But I'm sure you'll adapt as necessary. Injury sucks big time.. it's always so difficult to know what to do.. You seem to err on the side of doing too much, while I err on the side of doing too little. We should swap a little.

Yeahhhh. It's a tough call. I'd definitely erring toward more over less and will just take things off the table if they feel too detrimental or painful. We should definitely share our habits and make a beautiful mix of perfect balance here, haha.

Haha, nice timing with getting a hardcore event at the end of the 6-week challenge for at least the second time in a row! I'll obvs be watching your thread because you're doing something novel and you write some good stuff :)

Timing definitely was lucky for me this year. :) Thanks! I promise there will be fun gymnastics updates.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Day 1.1

Return to gymnastics! The gym was actually warm for the first time in months, so working out tonight was a treat. The heat makes it so much easier to warm up and increases my flexibility significantly, so that was a wonderful perk for the first night back after a week of rest. Keeping mindful of my body limitations and definitely feeling the circuit workouts from yesterday, I did not go too hard. Focused on lots of handstand holds, handstand walks, and handstand shoulder taps. Quick back tumbling of round-offs, RO + back handsprings, and RO + BHS + back tucks. These definitely felt good, so I think picking my back layout back up is definitely within the grasp of the next month or two. No front tumbling because of some cramping/digestive issues that, while mostly unnoticeable during other skills, really hurt during front handsprings.

Very short time on balance beam, just to get reacquainted with my friend. Surprisingly SOLID and wonderful feeling switch split leaps on beam and some nicely connected dive + pop cartwheel series as well. Surprised myself here. Perhaps absence makes the skills grow stronger sometimes?

Uneven bars got some love as well. Lots of kips, long kips on high bar, and some hip circles. I also started doing free hip/clear hip circles again. I'd love to actually connect kip, free hip circle into kip again until I can get a free hip to handstand. Example of what I mean by kip into free hip (and you can imagine the second kip from the swing out of the hip circle): 

QKCFZaT.gif

As my biggest problem with the kip out of this is my hip flexor strength, I made sure to add a bunch of pike leg lifts, straddle leg lifts, and straddle holds to my somewhat light conditioning circuit tonight. 

Otherwise, I also worked on throwing back handspring on lines on the floor for hand placement for balance beam, front walkovers on lines on the floor for beam as well, and attempted front layouts onto our resi mat. Pretty sure it's all the hurdle punches that were giving me shin splints/shin muscle knots before, as I started to get the twinges working on these again.

All-in-all, good first night back. My weighted backpack accompanied me to work and I walked from the train to home rather than taking the bus for a total of 2 miles post-gymnastics and an odd mish-mash of times walking around with the ruck that probably added up to about a mile earlier in the day. 

Also, I did start a MFP account, so you can look at my hilarious eating habits over the course of the challenge if you like: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/raptronx

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Girl, you're crazy (in the good way)! Really looking forward to following your challenge and seeing what you get done. Love your gymnastics work...I've been looking into adult classes in my area but they're either too far away, too expensive or too advanced...plus I have no background in it. I'll be living vicariously through you. ;)

Girl, you're crazy (in the good way)! Really looking forward to following your challenge and seeing what you get done. Love your gymnastics work...I've been looking into adult classes in my area but they're either too far away, too expensive or too advanced...plus I have no background in it. I'll be living vicariously through you. ;)

It's really hard to find a good balance for adult gymnastics -- there aren't many gyms that do them in the first place and, yeah, many definitely wind up in hard to reach places or absurdly expensive. I'm really lucky to have found my program. That said, lots of gymnastics strength progressions don't require much or any equipment if you are interested in that kind of thing. :)

Sounds like a great gym session! Switch split leaps look so elegant btw! 

They doooo. Far better than regular ol' split leaps. 

1. I love you for referencing a Beatles' song in your challenge.

2. Dat Bling.

3. Holy crap on a cracker, you are strong with those BW squats!

4. Um.....you're awesome and I know you'll bring yo A-game!

5. THREE SLEEEEEEEEEPS!

<3

always-bring-your-A-game-honey-boo-boo.g

<3

Loved reading that update, hooray for warm gyms I guess :) I thought you'd have pretty strong hip flexors..

Hahah. They're not THAT bad, but they cramp up easily. I think I also added a good amount of mass to my legs in the past 6-7 months without training my hips as much as I should have been, so they're struggling with the additional weight. Plus straddle holds are just one of those things that just never improve unless you work on them directly, so that's on me.

Raptron, alot assassin

You don't need background in gymnastics to learn skills and have fun trying! I don't have any background in it either (I grew up with basketball, swimming, and volleyball... and wasn't good at any of them), but I've been going once or twice a week to an adult gymnastics class with my friend for the last 6 weeks or so. Sure, I suck at a lot of things, but you just have to be willing to try and laugh at yourself (or at least not take it too hard) when you mess up. I'm having fun with it and if you ever have the opportunity to try, I'd definitely recommend giving it a go since it sounds like something you're interested in!

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

I'm envisioning Stadium workouts like our Red Rocks workouts? (We go up and down the amphitheater and do plyos and stuff...) Does this sound like what you are doing there?

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Interesting- this is something like what we do:

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Re: November Project Stadium workouts -- I'm sure they have other variations, but I've mostly heard/seen 1) run as many sections as you can in x minutes, or 2) run x number of sections. And running a stadium section means lunging/running up the bleacher seats and walking/jogging down the stairs between bleachers. It's a pretty deep lunge for me and I've got pretty long legs, so I imagine it's even more intense if you are short or have shorter legs.

Day 1.2

I had intended to do today's workout outside because I don't know if there is a way to do a circuit in a close quarters gym like mine without looking like an asshole, but it was raining pretty hard when I got home from work and the only timer I own is my fancy-ass smartphone, which does not do well in the rain. So, off to the gym I went, fully anticipating to look like a total jerk. [spoilers: I looked like a total jerk.]

8a8nL.png

Bench press: 17 reps @ 75# (I used 75# instead of my 65% bodyweight becauseeee 65% bodyweight is pretty close to my real working weight and I wanted to actually try to get the cardio aspect of this going.)

Squats: 49

Step-ups: Lost track

Jog -> elliptical instead

Strict Military Press: 30# baby bar, 16 reps

Lunges: combined into 2 minutes with alternating legs and hit around 76

Push-ups: 15 (bah)

Jog -> elliptical instead

Push Press: 30# baby bar again, 13 reps

Burpees: 11 :(

Run -> went extra fast on the elliptical

Damn if that workout didn't turn me into a gross, sweaty mess in under 20 minutes. Stretched a bit for cooldown and also did 100 band-pull aparts, 10 straight leg raises, and 10 shoulder dislocates. Mmm.

Got home, ate dinner and then finished out with W2D2 push-ups: 5, 6, 4, 4, 8 with 25# 

Hooray, day 2!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

I am glad that I found your thread. You have put together an enormous order for yourself, but I also get the sense that you will rock it just the same, if your first 2 days are any indication. Very interested in following your progress and hearing about the intense GoRuck challenge.

You just like to kick things.

It's because she's secretly Kick-puncher. :P Whose kicks have the devastating accuracy of punches, or something.

Raptron, you can go Ruck yourself any time. ;) Tons of squats, gymnastics, and now rucking too? Are there things you don't do?

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines