ytterbium's challenge #4: Tumult, Turmoil, and, erm, Turpentine?

ytterbium

Joining the scouts is weird for me. Based on body type, scout is probably the least appropriate class for me, being all massive and bulky and all. I've been a ranger thus far; I like working out in general and doing a variety of things, and I've been primarily focused on weight loss.

I don't exactly like running, but I'm basing this challenge (and probably next) around running. I'm going to be doing the Warrior Dash in June, and if that goes well I'm interested in doing more of the obstacle course races. And running is an inherent part of those, so I need to build that skill.

I'll be following Couch to 5K for now. I'm really not too concerned about the difficulty of that—I used it last year to do a pure running 5K. To up the hardness a bit, I'm going to be incorporating hills, since the Warrior Dash course is supposed to be moderately hilly. (Well, I'm going to be incorporating hill, since I'm in Chicago and there's really only one hill in the vicinity. But I'll be climbing it several times a run.)

The tumult and turmoil comes into play with some life changes. For one thing, I'm going to be moving when my lease is up at the end of July, and there's a good chance that I'll be moving to a new city. (I work from home, so I can go anywhere.) I've been looking for a new job, and planning to move to where that job is, but for at least a little while at least, I'm abandoning that hunt. (It's been more than 3 years, and the process has gotten to me--my last interview led to about a 2-week breakdown as I reminisced about all of the ways that interviewers have jerked me around in the past, while utterly failing to predict the way that this interviewer would jerk me around.)

To replace the job hunt, I've got a couple of major projects in the hopper. First is finishing off a draft of a book that I've been working on. I'm at about 45K words, and want to get it to about 60K to call it a completed draft. (After that, there's plenty of work to do, what with organizing and getting the tone right and all, but that's for later.)

The second is less well defined. Basically, the jobs I've been looking for have been ones that would hopefully lead to something with a strong science communication component. I'm looking to explore doing something on my own. For this challenge, I'd be looking to define exactly what that might be--what form it might take, its extent, whether it's a profit-seeking enterprise or something else, and so on.

Specific goals are yet to be defined.

• Like 4

Body type be damned running is something everyone can do even if most of is will never be world class. Glad to have you trying things out over here. :)

• Like 2

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Body type be damned running is something everyone can do even if most of is will never be world class. Glad to have you trying things out over here. :)

Well... 70 pounds ago I really couldn't run much at all. I still don't see myself as a runner, but it's nice that a 5K run or obstacle course is now broadly feasible.

Some goals defined:

1) Running: Basically follow the Couch to 5K program. I've already started it, and it will actually go a bit longer than the challenge—I did week 2 day 2 today. This really should be an easy A, since I've already done the program before. (Well, mostly; I had an injury that sidetracked me a bit, so I had to speed through the last few weeks, but I did the actual 5K okay.) I'm going to incorporate hills into the running to up the difficulty a bit: 5 hill climbs per run this week, and upping that by 1 each week. I'll probably give myself occasional dispensations for the hill portion, maybe once every other week where a non-hill run is acceptable. Also, in the event that I find an actually hilly area to run, things may be a bit rethought.

2) Weight Loss: I know that weight isn't the be-all and end-all of health, but I'm still at the point where any weight loss is good weight loss and it's a pretty good proxy for diet quality. I'll be looking to lose 9 pounds over the course of the challenge. (That was my goal for challenge #3, which started okay but a bit of job-hunting trauma got me sidetracked). I'll base this on a 7-day weight average, since my weight can vary a lot from day to day.

3) Handstands? I've been working to learn to do handstands for a while, and made some progress, so a challenge specifically focused on it might be enough to get me there. Currently, I can do a (roughly) minute-long wall handstand facing the wall. Haven't yet managed a kick-up so the handstand faces away from the wall, or a free-standing handstand. The tricky part about this is that I genuinely don't have a place in my apartment to practice (it's a tiny studio—but in a good location!—and I don't have an open wall). I think a combination of using walls at my gym and trees in the park behind my place will solve this, but I'm not certain. I'm open to other goals for this spot as well, if something else comes up.

4) Life quest: Diligence. Basically, this involves significant work on ytterbium inc.—those projects that might lead to independence from my job, or to a job that I actually want to be doing. This is probably going to be the hardest of my goals this challenge; I'm thinking the threshold for an A will be 20 hours of work per week on these projects. It's looking like my actual job (which doesn't count for this challenge) is going to be getting busy soon, which will up the challenge a lot too.

More definition/grade points/etc. to come.

• Like 2

Sound like good goals. I say try and do the first few kickups at the gym because it'll help build confidence that you can do it without dying. After that trees would probably work fine, just wear some socks at least I tore up my ankles when I started kicking up because I didn't pay attention to that kinda thing. Good luck on the goals!

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Handstands are great and you should definitely keep them in there. Make this the challenge where you finally nail them!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Okay, let's formalize the challenge. Much of this is cribbed from my last challenge, back in Ranger-land.

Hi. I'm ytterbium, or Greg if you prefer.

My main quest: I've got plenty, but for purposes of this challenge (and probably the next couple), let's go with this: I've signed up for a Warrior Dash on June 14. I'd like to rock it. Unfortunately, I don't have any kind of a gauge for that time-wise. But at least, I'd like to do the race capably -- i.e., successfully running the full thing at a steady but challenging pace and successfully completing all of the obstacles.

My motivation: My nephew was born last year. I don't particularly want him to know fat Uncle Greg. More generally, I'd like him to look at me and my life as an example to follow. (Or at least learn from. I mean, I sure wouldn't wish the journalism major on him.)

The tumult and turmoil in this challenge come from... let me back up. I've been job-hunting for more than 3 years. (Admittedly, I did get a new job about a year ago, my current job, but it's far from the right one so the hunt continues.) Job-hunting is terrible, and frankly, I need a break. I recently had an interview, and it led to a 2-week breakdown as I simultaneously prepared for it and reminisced about things like the odds that they weren't going to actually hire anyone for the position (about 50%, based on my experiences in this job hunt) or the odds that they were just having me come in because they wanted to complain about my former employer and they felt that would be an effective way to lodge them (about 10% overall, although many of my interviews were outside of my former employer's specific area, where this one was inside it).

My former boss was fond of saying that everyone is actually in business for themselves, and for a while at least I think I need to focus on that rather than finding a job, per se. So really the core of this challenge will be ytterbium, inc., even though that will be the life quest.

(Further contributing to the turmoil: As I'm now planning to stay in my current job, I no longer need to stay in my terrible-but-well-located apartment. In fact, as I work from home, I can do my job from anywhere, and I'm strongly considering a major relocation.)

So, some specific goals:

1. Running. I'm already doing plenty of strength and general fitness work, so my top priority for doing the Warrior Dash is building running distance and doing some hill training. Ultimately I'd like to be running about 4 miles at a clip before the event. My plan is to continue Couch to 5K; tomorrow (Challenge Day -1) is week 2 day 3. Assuming all goes well, I should finish week 8 by the end of the challenge. I'm also doing some hill training; currently 5 climbs of the one significant hill near my house per run, with the plan to increase that by 1 each week.

This goal is worth 2 points of stamina and 1 point of dexterity. Scoring: A: Follow plan (with appropriate allowances for equivalent alternatives to the hill training plan.) B: Fall short by 1 run. C: Fall short by 2-3 runs. D: Fall short by 4-6 runs.

2. Lose 9 pounds over the course of the challenge. I'll be basing that on a 7-day average. That really shouldn't be too difficult--it's less than 1% of body weight a week--but actually making it happen can be harder than theory. I'm hoping to run the Warrior Dash below 240 pounds. Official starting point is 254.92 pounds.

This goal is worth 2 points of stamina and 2 points of dexterity. Scoring: 9 pounds lost (245.92): A; 8 pounds lost (246.92): B; 7 pounds lost (247.92): C; 5 pounds lost (249.92): D

3. Handstands: Right now I can hold a wall handstand (walking my feet up the wall) for roughly a minute. By the end of the challenge, I'd love to progress to the kick-up or even a free-standing handstand.

This goal is worth 1 point of strength and 1 point of dexterity. This doesn't quite correspond easily to an A-F rating, so the scoring would be: Hold a free-standing handstand for a few seconds: full scoring. Do the kick-up: 0.5 points each of strength and dexterity. Fail the kick-up but practice at least 5 times per week: 0.25 points each of strength and dexterity.

Life quest: ytterbium inc. Do at least 20 hours per week of non-job but ultimately profitable work. This includes: a) working on the book that I'm writing, which is currently at about 45K words. (I'm expecting the first draft to come in at 60K words, so that should be completed this challenge. B) An as-yet poorly defined science communication project. Basically, the jobs I've been hunting for have been primarily marketing positions for science museums, on the grounds that I am a writer and I like science and see a real need for good and interesting science communication. As those have been difficult to come by, my general thought is to do it anyway. But I need to do things like research, and figure out things like the particular flavor of the content I create (probably funny), and the audience, and how it gets distributed and promoted, and whether it becomes a self-sustaining product or if I do it as self-promotion or to feed something else, and whether the whole thing is feasible to begin with. c) freelance gigs.

This goal is worth 3 points of charisma and 2 points of wisdom. Scoring: A: 20+ hours per week. B: 17+ hours per week. C: 14+ hours per week. D: 10+ hours per week.

Fitness side quest: Sleep. Specifically, getting to bed by 11 pm every night. This is kind of an off-shoot of the ytterbium inc., since I need to get started working earlier in the day to get all of this work in, and for that to happen well I'll need to get to bed earlier.

This goal is worth 1 point of constitution. Scoring: A: In bed by 11 4/5 weeknights per week. B: In bed by 11 3/5 weeknights per week. C: In bed by 11 2/5 weeknights per week. D: In bed by 11 1/5 weeknights per week.

That all sounds well thought-out and measurable. Good stuff!

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Since you don't have a lot of hills where you are, try stairs or bleachers.  Sneak into a high school and tromp up and down their bleachers there.  :onthego:

True... One awesomeaweful thing about my gym is that it's the basement of a 7-story building, and the instructors incorporate stair runs into classes fairly regularly. Just about everyone hates those stairs, in a very loving way. <tee hee>

Day 1!

Overall, a decent start to the challenge, albeit in a not-particularly-scouty way. Workout included weights and boxing. In boxing class, we did a new combination (jab-cross-low hook to kidneys-hook) that I am decidedly not good at. Any kind of combination that involves footwork, which this one did, always takes me a few sessions to get used to, and hooks are far from my best punch as well. (That's not self-dissing; there are plenty of boxing-class-related things where I can see really definite progress, even the hooks, but it does take me a bit of time for me to get comfortable doing anything new.)

No running, although none was planned (typically I'll be running Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays). I'm not sure if tomorrow's run will happen, however, due to the fact that we got snow here tonight. (I also discovered that I'm unable to distinguish between Donny Osmond and David Hasselhoff. So it's been a traumatic evening. Although most of that is being really, really, really exhausted.)

I did a bit of handstand work at the gym as well, and got to bed on time last night.

Non-job-work included 1 hour on science-comedy-thing and .25 hours on freelance work. Slightly disappointing, but there's not much more that I could do today, given that I had a rather full day of job-work.

Diet was good.

Stats for Day 1:

Weight: 255

7-day average: 254.92

Running: 0/18 runs

Handstand work: 1/30 sessions

Weekday bedtime made: 1/5 this week

Non-job work: 1.25/120 hours.

I will try and pop in as often as I can mate. 

You can do this.  

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

That's a strong start!! It looks like you have some great goals here - I'm excited to hear about your progress as I am another beginner Scout.

I feel your pain with the footwork taking some time to get used to - I'm lucky if I can get either my leg or arms doing what I want one at a time, let alone in cooperation with one another!! Good on your for sticking with it :)

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Starting off strong (of course, you managed to keep the great momentum from last challenge).  How is the book coming?  Any memorable lines today?

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Day 2:

Today was tough. Energy was low all day... that's kind of typical, and a consequence of the heavy Monday workout, so I'm not too distraught by that fact. What isn't good is that I let it affect diet badly, which I need to not do. I think I also need to get healthier snack options in my house, although that's tricky: I'm the kind of person who can eat a full package of pretty much anything, so I find it better to not keep a lot of non-meal food in my apartment. But then, when I get hungry for a snack, I go to one of any number of stores nearby, and usually don't wind up getting good food. I'm not quite sure exactly how to handle that... I've recently tried having some nuts to snack on, but I think I'm overdoing them.

No running happened today, which is slightly disappointing but also unavoidable, given the cold and snow. I think I'll be able to shift my runs this week to Wednesday-Friday-Sunday without any real consequence.

Less job work meant more non-job work, which is a definite positive. 1 hour of book writing time (I figure 30 hours is what it will take to finish off the first draft) and 1.5 hours on the science-comedy project thingy. I'm looking for a tone somewhere in the realm of QI or Horrible Histories. The work included some research and starting my first stab at actual content. It's not complete yet, but it's framed as a big pay-per-view fight between an alligator and an otter. (Which happened, and don't click through if you don't want graphic images.) I'm not sure how I'm feeling about it... as text, it's not really singing the way I'd like it to.

Erick, the best book line of the day: "Studies have shown that a toddler who is exposed to music at least once in her life has an average brain size at least 44% larger than that of a turnip. More importantly, when an uncle is in the mix, that figure can easily hit 50 or even 53%."

Hopefully getting to bed on time, or maybe even a bit early, will make tomorrow full-speed.

Stats for Day 2:

Weight: 253

7-day average: 254.57

Running: 0/18 runs

Handstand work: 2/30 sessions

Weekday bedtime made: 2/5 this week

Non-job work: 3.75/120 hours.

• Like 2

Making the bedtime a priority will help a lot over the next few weeks.  I should try harder to do the same.

I like turnips.  I hope my brain is bigger than same.

The Graphic Images link is blocked from my office computer, so now I really want to click through.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Day 3:

Not a bad day today... Diet was decent, and workout was real tough. In fact, and I know that this is possibly 2005's worst phrase, but I did actually throw up in my mouth a little. Nothing serious, but it had a lot of high-intensity cardio without much rest, which caused it.

I also made up yesterday's run. Week 3, day 1 of Couch to 5K. I have to say I'm not thrilled with my hill-training strategy. Running and going nowhere really doesn't make the process better. I've been told of a park that has some decent hills that may be better... it's a ways to run to but I could easily bike there and then train running.

The workout included inverted mountain climbers, which I'm willing to count as handstand training. By the end of the workout, there wasn't anything else that was going to happen.

The ytterbium inc. goal was a bit disappointing, with only 1 hour of work, all story research.

Stats for Day 3:

Weight: 256

7-day average: 254.78

Running: 1/18 runs

Handstand work: 3/30 sessions

Weekday bedtime made: 3/5 this week

Non-job work: 4.75/120 hours.

Day 4:

Pretty successful day today. Diet was good. Workout was fairly light, but it included good handstand work as well as Week 3 Day 2 of Couch to 5K. Normally I wouldn't do running days back-to-back, but as the weather is good today and will be lousy tomorrow, I think it was a good choice.

I got a good amount of non-job work done, including finishing off a section of the book, and another section of the science comedy thingy. The book section I'm fairly pleased with, as it takes on making music with toddlers. There are several easy-to-make instruments, such as a theremin (Fill a box with some wires, resistors, capacitors, and soldier to keep it all together, and at least three other random items from Radio Shack if that store still exists. Attach an antenna. If you created it correctly, you will be able to produce a variety of sounds simply by plucking the air around the antenna. If you didn't do it right and there is no sound, then you should feel deeply ashamed) or a flute [While modern flutes are made of metal, the oldest flutes were made from bone. To make one, simply cut off your arm, remove the skin and muscle, drill a hole through the length of the bone to hollow it out, and several holes along the length of the flute for your fingers.  (Well, not several holes, really... just four, eh?) Don't worry about the loss of a limb; I'm sure it will grow back, and even if it doesn't, the look on your niece's face will be worth it]

(Obviously, the book is not intended as actual advice.)

The science comedy section I'll reproduce in full here. I can't say I'm thrilled with it, although it's inherently experimental, so in that sense it's a success. It may work better as a video voiceover with some very rudimentary animation.

Also, it's a bit gory. I'll put it in a different color to make it easier to skip over if you want to.

OTTER VS. ALLIGATOR

In this corner...

The Sarasota Soldier...

It's the American Alligator!

And in this corner...

The Rolling River Rodent...

It's an... otter.

Really? We think that this is a fair fight? I'm really not feeling comfortable about this. I mean, let's look at the tale of the tape.

The American Alligator weighs in at up to 500 pounds and 11 feet long, it's capable of short but quick lunges and eating its prey whole, and its jaws are capable of biting through bone or turtle shells. Plus, its sex depends on the temperature at which it hatches. That's not useful in battle, it's just a fun fact.

Meanwhile, the North American River Otter weighs up to 30 pounds and three and a half feet long. It can remain underwater for almost four minutes, and it primarily subsists on fish.

I don't think this fight is likely to be a title bout in the UFC anytime soon.

LET'S GET READY TO...

Yeah, I'm really sorry about this, let's just get it over with...

It seems like the alligator hasn't actually noticed the otter yet. That's a good sign... maybe the otter will do the intelligent thing and just back away.

Or... it will jump on the alligator's back and bite it in the neck. That's actually a very bright move, since the gator can't get it's mouth around to bite back.  In fact, the otter is staying completely out of the alligator's strike zone.

The alligator is thrashing around like a reptile possessed! It bobs left! It weaves right! It... Oh dear, it appears to have stopped thrashing. Don't worry, it's still alive, it's just completely exhausted. The gator is not built for endurance, and it is completely wiped out.

The otter looks completely fine, though, and... oh dear, it's dragging the alligator on to shore. The alligator is still offering no resistance whatsoever as... oh dear. The otter is now feasting on alligator meat while the reptile is still alive. But not for long, I fear. Yes, this is not an exceptional display of sportsmanship on either side, and I do wish that the referee would come in and stop this bout, but that is unlikely as this is nature and there is in fact no referee.

We have to consider the results here quite an upset, although there are a few factors that led to it. First off, at only 5 feet long, this was a juvenile alligator. And, while otters are adorable, they are also ferocious predators near the top of the food chain. For example, in Brazil, a group of four otters teamed up to fight and kill a much larger Caiman crocodile.

So enjoy the playful otter... but from a distance. Behind that adorable face beats the heart of a vicious predator.

There's another thing I wrote that might be a better approach, in general. It's a song I wrote for February Album Writing Month a few years ago, called "Lenski Dialogue," about the Lenski Dialogue. I like lyric writing (although the rushed nature of this one shows--it gets heavy handed in a way that could be much better), although heading in this direction would require some definite leveling up of my musicianing.

Anyhow, it's nice to get a couple things finished.

Stats for Day 4:

Weight: 254.5

7-day average: 254.92

Running: 2/18 runs

Handstand work: 4/30 sessions

Weekday bedtime made: 3/5 this week [got to bed late yesterday, although it was a good night to do so.]

Non-job work: 2.25 hours today. 7/120 hours overall.

• Like 2

Day 5:

Today could have gone horribly bad, and didn't.

My workout wasn't real good. It was a class with an instructor who is frankly not one of my favorites... her sets tend to be long and kind of monotonous, and there was a huge amount of stuff from a plank position, and before too long, my shoulders were just done. Which meant that I was more focusing on that than the actual exercises. She's also an instructor who does a lot of yelling, and her default is always "go harder" regardless of how hard you might be going. I do better when the instructor is a bit more chill. Normally when I'm muttering obscenities under my breath during a workout, it's a good sign, but not today.

Anyhow, no need to dwell on one bad workout in about three years. I wound up getting a not-so-great lunch after it, but diet was okay otherwise...

I did a bit of writing, and a bit of research, both decent. Favorite joke is a bit about sabotaging your loved ones and how it would make some pretty evil people say "dude, not funny"—although due to some of the characters in it, discretion is warranted. Still, that's a thing to think about in editing. Next favorite bit laments how college is a time to spend semesters in Italy, build a robot that's part of the payload for the International Space Station, or mount a radically innovative one-woman production of Hamlet in New York's trendiest condemned building, while those opportunities seem to disappear in adulthood.

I did get some good handstand work in. I didn't get to sleep on time yesterday, although that didn't affect me too much today.

I also got my nephew his birthday present. 1013874_10202491057332409_90416222185491I love the kid, but his obsession with limes might not be healthy.

Stats for Day 5:

Weight: 253.5

7-day average: 254.71

Running: 2/18 runs

Handstand work: 5/30 sessions

Weekday bedtime made: 3/5 this week

Non-job work: 2 hours today. 9/120 hours overall.

*skims thread*

What? Otter vs Alligator? I'm going to need to come back to you when I have more time...

*runs*

(Later)

Ha!

Days that could have gone horribly bad and didn't are good days.Good job keeping things on track.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Days 6-7:

Weekend was OK. Yesterday was a heavy workout day (boxing plus interval training) and today was just a relatively light run (C25K Week 3 Day 3.) I biked to a park that one of my gym's trainers told me had a decent hill to run; it was only one hill, but pretty big, and there was a nice loop I could do so I wound up running the hill twice. Biking there was a bit tricky, partially just because the lakefront bike path is way too heavily trafficked to have a nice ride, and partially because this was the bike rack:

10171046_10202503711008743_6744082317671

(I did find a sign to lock my bike to.)

Anyhow, the run was tough today, and I think overtraining may have something to do with it. This upcoming week, I'm going to be taking it easy. I was hoping to delay the rest week for a couple weeks to correspond with a trip I'll be taking, but it's gotta happen now.

Diet's been okay, at least for a weekend.

I did a bit less non-work work than I'd hoped, and I'm at 14 hours for the week, which would be a C for the week. But the book is approaching first draft completion; 48418 words done so far. (60K is probably where the first draft will end up.)

Stats for Days 6-7:

Weight: 252.5/255

7-day average: 254.35/254.21

Running: 3/18 runs

Handstand work: 5/30 sessions

Weekday bedtime made: 3/5 this week: B for the week.

Non-job work: 14/120 hours.

• Like 2

That bike rack looks like an allegory for something...

• Like 1

I'm sure it will get excavated when the beaches officially open around here. At least I hope so.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines