Stardust's Evolution to 10K

stardust731

Hallo everyone!!! How are you?? This is going to be my second challenge for the Rangers & I'm super excited about it! For those of you who followed me the last 6 weeks, my goals this time around are gonna be similar. For those of you who are new, HI!!   :highly_amused:

Main Quest: Maintain my Health and Fit Into A Dress - Long story short, I've spent the past 2 challenges working to get my health back after a debilitating knee injury in July 2013. Now that I'm almost back to 100%, I'm ready to take my workouts to the next level. I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding in June, and I purposefully bought my dress a little smaller, so now I'm on a mission to get myself ready to look fabulous in it

Supporting Quests:

1. Nutrition is still going to take center stage for me - but this time my main focus is going to be staying gluten-free ALL the time. I made this change about 4 weeks ago and I feel SO much better, so I want to keep it up!! Normally, this means I eat mostly paleo & primal - but without the emphasis on the higher saturated fats. It works well for me - so I want to keep it up. I'm not focusing on counting calories - I'm focusing on eating high quality, whole foods & creating a natural deficit by exercising

2. Begin Training for my First 10K!!! Hubbs and I signed up for a 10K, which happens to be the weekend BEFORE the big wedding in June. I think this is gonna be a GREAT motivator to keep moving and stay in shape. We ran a 5K a few weeks ago, so now we're gonna bump up our training to the next level. Due to the knee issues, I've got to run intervals (right now I'm at 60 seconds run/60 seconds power walk and am averaging about a 13-14 min/mile pace) but I'm happy that I'm at least moving again. On non-run days, my goal is to get some mild cardio in the form of walking at least 2 miles over the whole day - just to stay moving. 

3. Strength train to help benefit my running goals! I tried doing other programs around my running & it just didn't work. so I decided to focus more on my end goals. Ultimately, I love running - so I found myself a program created by an endurance running & triathalon coach that will have me lifting twice a week and optimize the muscle groups primarily needed for running. I'm thinking this will be the most solid way for me to incorporate everything. 

Now - workouts might be sporadic due to my work & school schedule (school changes quite regularly) - but I figure as long as I get 2 lifting workouts a week and 3 running workouts and 4 days of walking, I'll be happy. Realistically, I can't fully start this plan until April 21st - so expect the first week of the challenge to be a little *off* but I will hit at least 2 miles every day and it will hit the 10K training plan on the 21st.

Just like last challenge: I'll give myself 33% a day for each of my workouts (2 miles/Cardio and strength training) and 34% for my food. I'll add them all together and get a percentage out of 100% - at the end of the Challenge, I'll have a solid average for how I'm doing. And on days that are Rest Days from Strength training - I shall default to the 33% as long as I hit my other goals. As far as food goes, I'll consider that a "34%" if I stay on point, eat healthy, with no processed junk foods or gluten. 

My "before" measurements & pics will be the "after" pics from the last challenge - and I'll post them here sometime soon so that I have something tangible to track numbers & progress. I've had issues in the past with the "neurotic scale tracking" and so I'm really just focused on getting healthy & strong and will use my workouts & measurements to track my positive changes

Anyways, can't wait to get started on this one & hope to hear from all of you in the upcoming weeks!! 

• Like 3

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Ongoing Battle Log: My Quest for PRs and Endorphins

Okay - so I don't forget (or procrastinate) I'm posting these here NOW  :playful:

Measurements as of April 5th 2014

Neck: 14 inches 

Bust: 43 Inches

Chest (under bust): 37.5 Inches

Waist: 37 Inches 

Belly Button: 40 Inches

Hips: 45 Inches

Upper Thigh (right/left): 27 inches

Mid Thigh (right/left): 25 inches 

Mid Calf (right/left): 17 inches 

Bicep (right/left): 14.5 inches

Forearm (right/left) 12 inches

Wrist: 7 inches

Current Jean Size: 12ish (they're loose, but I don't really want to buy new clothes yet because I'm cheap & currently shrinking too fast to justify the cost   :playful: )

AND here's the visuals - "before" pics taken on 04/05/2014

9edbd883-ee01-4e12-a738-a1d2b8dbc9ed_zps6507a4b0-8a6a-4423-99dc-0ffbae3025b4_zps

6a41d64c-85ce-471e-92bb-001379303bf4_zps25c1e74b-842c-42ae-8eee-f7309daef6ad_zps

I've come a long way in the past few months, and I'm excited to see what I can do in the future  :highly_amused:

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Can't wait to see you in that dress, Stardust! Best of luck, and I will be watching you...

I can't wait to see myself in that dress either!! Its gonna be awesome!!! I can't wait to see all your progress either!! 

Your challenge sounds great! How perfect that your 10K is the week before the wedding - It was meant to be!

Gorgeous tattoos!

Pattycake118 - its nice to meet you! Thank you so much! I think its perfect timing too! Definitely a good way to stay motivated!! And thank you - I love my tattoos as well and have many more planned for the future  :highly_amused:

• Like 1

Fun!!!  Looking forward to hearing how the challenge goes! 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Woohoo new challenge! You're going to do amazing things!

Fun!!!  Looking forward to hearing how the challenge goes! 

Hello ladies!! Thanks so much for coming by my thread! I can't wait to see all the awesome things that come from this challenge! I'm excited to get started on it in a week  :highly_amused:

So this weekend was totally NUTS! I didn't get any working out done, but I've got good reason. Saturday morning, I went to have bloodwork done (I needed tiders pulled for school) and they had to pull 4 vials while I was fasting. Once I got home, hubby informed me we didn't have any water pressure in the house! So I called the water company & they informed me that we had a major water line break a few streets down & it was impacting the whole neighborhood (with no ETA for resolution). So - we had no running water...meaning no shower, no toilets, no dishwasher, no sinks...nothing! So needless to say, I really didn't want to workout & get all sweaty when I didn't have the ability to shower afterwards

On the way home from the gas station - this is what my neighborhood looked like:

c50658c5-1f13-4a0f-b177-558fe628a35b_zps 9be3712b-d88b-4d6d-a6a4-3a7f5ab9aa8a_zps

My sister had her bridal shower on Saturday afternoon, so I just ended up driving there early because of our water issues. I spent hours helping prepare food & clean, and there was no time to sneak away for a run around the block. After the bridal shower, I drove back home & we met up with the groom-to-be's family for the evening. 

We wanted an adventure, so we decided to all go to a local indoor go-kart track! It was super fun!!!

9929e105-efab-4e60-b7ae-aefaa997698f_zps eaf5f05b-ffb6-4998-bfd8-114630a611a9_zps

ffa44d30-9cb1-4970-a7bb-ae601328ebb0_zps fcdd7330-5fa3-472a-96da-b4bace654580_zps

Yesterday, hubbs and I went out to breakfast & had planned to clean the house, relax & work out. However, my sister had a crisis & we needed to help with damage control - so we ended up spending the whole day hanging out with her, her fiance & his family (which was fabulous - they are good peeps) We went out to lunch & then hung out at their apartment. My sister's phone stopped working, so I also spent 3 hours reloading the software & fixing it (joys of working in the cell phone industry!) - but after 3+ hours, I am proud to say that I got it working!! 

We didn't get home until after 930 PM last night & so it was time to go to bed. We had to get up at midnight to register my hubby for classes this summer - so we were up until almost 1 AM doing that. And then I was up at 5 AM to get ready for work. 

So overall - I'm tired, but it was a really good weekend. The water is back on, got hubbs registered for classes, sister's phone is fixed & drama is avoided, had a great time with the almost In-Laws, managed to stay gluten-free all weekend and I'm getting back on track with the walking today. Even though we ate out all weekend, my weight is only up a pound, so I'm definitely pleased

Hope you all had a great weekend! 

• Like 2

Have a great day 1, Stardust!

Day 1! Good luck!!

Thanks guys!! I hope you have an awesome day too!!!!

Holy cow - what an adventure.  And congrats on sticking to plan as much as possible. 

Hope today was great!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Yay for your first 10k :D You're going to have so much fun! That switch to gluten free is sooo hard to do. When my son and I were diagnosed with Celiacs a few years back I struggled for a good year to completely cut it out. I would be all 'one bite wont hurt' knowing it would. Even up until about the last 6 months I was still gambling every time we went out to eat by ordering things like french fries, which are almost always contaminated. It has definitely been a constant battle, but it does get easier! Like everything else in the health & weight loss world it takes time and patience and it will pay off in the end :)

Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8
Current Challenge: Picking Up The Pieces

HELLO EVERYONE!!!! I'm sorry I was scarce last week but I have good reason!!! Hubbs and I had a well deserved Vegas Vacation last week!!! We were there Tuesday night through Saturday & had a WONDERFUL time!!! Today is my first day back at work and I'm SOOOO sleepy!!!  :playful:

I haven't forgotten about any of you & will be back later today with a full update (with pics and all!!!) but I wanted to let you know that I haven't been a total slacker!!!  :highly_amused:

• Like 1

HELLO EVERYONE!!!! I'm sorry I was scarce last week but I have good reason!!! Hubbs and I had a well deserved Vegas Vacation last week!!! We were there Tuesday night through Saturday & had a WONDERFUL time!!! Today is my first day back at work and I'm SOOOO sleepy!!!  :playful:

I haven't forgotten about any of you & will be back later today with a full update (with pics and all!!!) but I wanted to let you know that I haven't been a total slacker!!!  :highly_amused:

No .... no pics.  What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.   :playful:

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

Woo hoo, Stardust is back!

YES!!! It was a well deserved vacation, but its nice to be able to get back into the swing of things again too. 

No .... no pics.  What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.   :playful:

HAHAHAHA!!! I am only gonna post a few *teaser* pictures...nothing major  :playful:

Alright peeps - time for a long overdue update! Monday & Tuesday of last week - got 2 miles done each day and was 100% gluten-free. Tuesday afternoon, we drove out to Las Vegas (WOO!!) That night, we stayed at the Rio hotel & gambled a little once we got in. Ate In-N-Out burgers for dinner, but I ordered mine protein-style so I didn't have the bread

Wednesday, we left the Rio & checked in at TI (where we stayed for the rest of the trip!) Hubbs & I walked ALL over the strip that day and had a blast! We hit TI, Mirage, Harrah's, The Quad, The Paris, The Bellagio, the Venetian, The Flamingo & explored the Linq. The Bellagio Conservatory was all decorated for Easter & they had a live butterfly pavilion set up! It was so cool!

58430884-8a23-47e0-8f57-bef9779f989e_zps

Since I was on vacation - I allowed myself one gluten treat per day. Wednesday, it was a chocolate blackout sundae (with cake) at Serendipity 3....it was amazing!

d861c30c-210f-4cb0-aa5d-e99ef87b2712_zps

That night, we went to see a Zombie Burlesque show that was absolutely hilarious! We had a great time! 

Thursday, we hit the lower area of the strip (MGM Grand, NYNY, the M&M/Coke Stores, the ADIDAS store, Excalibur & the Luxor). That night, we went back to The Linq and rode on the amazing new Ferris Wheel called the High Roller!! It was SO beautiful!!!

00d34233-bd32-4f20-a54a-ae3e76a320ac_zps 1dadfd47-9376-4435-803d-b613a3a09d2f_zps

Friday, we decided to head over to Fremont St and spent the morning there. At the recommendation of a friend, we went to the Heart Attack Grill & had lunch.....and good lord....I was instantly in a food coma! It was SO fatty & rich - but it was damn good! The whole menu was medical themed, our server was dressed as a nurse & we had to wear hospital gowns while we ate! We each got a shake, a single burger (they go up to 8 1/2 pound patties!) and we shared an order of fries. Hubbs and I aren't used to eating that many calories, so we both crashed out & took a 2 hour nap once we were back to our hotel!

bd3e1116-2720-4096-a69d-6fd8423628b5_zps

Afterwards, we went back to our healthy diet because we were so tired of junk - so we went to the Mirage buffet for dinner (by FAR our favorite buffet on the strip...totally beats out Bellagio & other places) I had shrimp, crap legs, prime rib, sushi & lots of veggies. It felt SO good to eat better after the crazy lunch we had! 

For the rest of the trip, we took it easy & relaxed. I won $75 on a quarter slot machine and $56 on another one, so I was totally happy about that - not enough to retire on, but easily enough to cover a dinner or drinks  :highly_amused:

9afec58c-44ad-486c-9a32-1a265ac5d630_zps

All in all, it was a fabulous vacation! I wore my shine the whole time & discovered that we walked OVER 20 MILES in 3 days!!! So even though we were on vacation, we still got our activity in!!! OH - and I splurged on myself & bought myself another "goal" dress at the Bettie Page store!! Its SO pretty!! I can't wait until I can show it off!! Hopefully in the next month or two I'll hit my goals  :highly_amused:

Now that we're back home, we're getting back in the groove of working out. My knee has been super sore the past few days, so I haven't been able to run yet - but I have gotten my 2 miles of walking. I'm up about 6 pounds in water weight from the trip (but that's honestly to be expected) and it should fall off over the course of this week. Even with my Serendipity 3 and Heart Attack Grill splurges, there's no way we ate over what we burned walking 20+ miles - so overall I'm pleased about that

That's it for me! Hope you all are having a fabulous Week 2!!! My official grade for Week 1 will be a 90% - even though food wasn't 100% on point, the insane amount of walking we did totally made up for it  :highly_amused:

• Like 3

Sounds like a blast! Thanks for sharing the photos!

We had a wonderful time! It was really fun for sure! Its always hard to come back to reality after having time off like that  :highly_amused:

• Like 1

What a wonderful trip - and you did really well on diet and exercise.  It's interesting that you didn't enjoy the junk food for long -- that's excellent progress!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

What a wonderful trip - and you did really well on diet and exercise.  It's interesting that you didn't enjoy the junk food for long -- that's excellent progress!!

Hiya my friend! I agree, it was a wonderful trip!! I'm totally pleased with the diet & exercise too! Its fascinating how my body just can't handle junk food very well anymore! I'd agree that its totally progress  :highly_amused:

So here's my Week 2 update so far: My knee was wonky for a few days after we got back from Vegas - I figured I'd just over-used it so I haven't been able to run or lift much. But hubbs and I realized that it had been over a year since we both bought new sneakers. Since good sneakers usually run about $100+ each, we were planning on only getting one pair BUT we found some killer sales and we ended up getting FIVE pairs for around $200!!! I got 2 new pairs of ASICS (for everyday wear & walking) and one pair of Saucony (for running) and he got 2 new pairs too. 

I wore one pair yesterday and my knee instantly felt better! I guess I've learned my lesson....new supportive shoes = happy knees for Stardust! Woot! SO - now that my knee is feeling better, I'm gonna be hopping on the treadmill once I'm home from work & school today. I've been happily gluten-free all week and have already dropped over 4 pounds of water weight from Vegas (and hopefully will drop more today!) Its my goal to be back to pre-Vegas weight by the end of the weekend so that I can start everything from square-one on Monday

In other news, hubbs & I came up with a meal plan to get us through the whole week. I think sometimes we grocery shop and we have a lot of food, but sometimes we look at our fridge and think "we have nothing to eat!" So - hopefully this will help with that. We have not one but TWO birthday dinners to attend this weekend, so we'll be starting this on Monday. For the first week, I'm also gonna be tracking calories on myfitnesspal just to make sure we're eating enough, so I'll be posting that as well  :highly_amused:

Hope you all have a fabulous day!

• Like 1

Yesterday was an "eh" day - I was planning on getting a run in after dinner, but my tummy got really upset after eating so I just wasn't feeling up to running. I did get my mileage done by walking and I'm feeling a little better today. Overall, not a bad day, but not a great day either. 

Today - I've got a TON of work to do for class and I will try to get a workout in. We are planning a run on Saturday morning, so I think sticking to power walking (and maybe some lifting if I can get it in) is the best bet for the day. 

Hope you all have a great one!!

• Like 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines