• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bekah

Bekah's Step Seven: Aren't Princesses supposed to DO something????

Subbing to keep an eye on you....you look to be in a similar predicament that I was in when I joined...post surgery and frustrated over not being able to do anything but sit and breathe! :)

hah did my first breathing last night, and OHMYGAWD I was totally freaking myself out! LOL! My breathing was soooo jerky :( I don't know what that means in medical terms, but I am sure its asthma related, but it freaked me out, so I just tried really hard to breathe calm and smooth and it helped me chill out...so I say thats a win...yeah? 

Soooo many colours!! So much happy! Go Bekah go!

heh :D Thank you!!! 

Happy day one!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Spongebob-spongebob-squarepants-31312711

Ok love, I know that was an amazing GIF, but I cant see it :( can you fix it pleeeeeeeze?!?! :love_heart:

Here is hoping you get to do plenty of things you enjoy while recovering :D!

Thanks Tate! 

I'm here you may proceed! hehehehe

Thank you for the permission :D I will proceed now 

• Like 1

Challenge Goal #1: 
Cleaning, Organizing and Decorating: (Flylady) changed my mind about a PvP and am just going to keep up with this on my own.
So this week is Zone 3: Bathroom and One extra room and making my bed everyday--

Monday's Mission was cleaning the bathroom counters etc. of all the accumulated stuff that piles up (heretofore referred to as a Hotspot) and throwing away 27 items from the "extra room" (a linen closet that has crap in it from 1950 still...and is full of mothballs...ewww) 

Tuesday's Mission was inventory of bathroom necessities and another 27 fling boogie (that's what Flylady calls the throwing shit away)

I did both days today, since yesterday I was gone a lot of the day and didn't get shit finished at all at home. I even cleaned the extraordinary about of soap buildup off the soap holder in the wall (yes our bathroom is that old, it still has a soap holder built into the wall!) 

It felt good to get all that shit done and over with :) 

Challenge Goal #2:
Quiet Time: (meditations and reading and using my earplugs)
I have been doing the meditations before bed and as usual they are very moving. The one last night (I had read it before, but it still hits me like a ton of bricks) was about fear and attachment and holding on to things because you don't feel like the Universe can provide and protect you if you let go...and I think that might just be the mother of all my problems in a nutshell. I don't feel like its safe to trust anyone to protect me, but me, least of all some unseen person in the sky or a force of energy that I can't control in any way. So yeah....here we are again. Sooooo getting past this fear is central to my growth as a human being, and yeah. I'm scared of it. 

Challenge Goal #3: 
Helping People: (ambassador duties 30 min 3x week, Scouts on Tuesdays + extra stuff if needed)

I have been keeping up with my ambassador duties so far, and Scouts is tonight, but its a COH so there may not be much to do afterwards. Oh well, there is always next week to get stuff done, showing up is still a win. 

Challenge Goal #4: 
Learn something new: (yoga breathing) 
Last night I did probably 20 minutes of breathing. It helped me chill out quite a bit, and it was nice, but kinda scary bc my breathing is NOT even and steady at all, its very choppy. 

• Like 4

I used to hear that something wasn't actually a step forward unless it involved a little fear. Or even a lot of fear. Which doesn't necessarily comfort, but it does mean you're moving in the right direction.

• Like 1

I just had an a-ha moment. I think this is why I quit the meditations last time, bc I got to the hard part and was so scared that I subconsciously gave up...bc I have done these last two before, but they were the last ones I did, and after last night (Day 34?) where it talked about having faith and trusting in something besides myself and how vital that is for spiritual enlightenment, and not letting go of things I cant control only hurts me rather than helps me....and yeah how do you "do" that? Is it a choice, like love? Thats the only other thing I can think of that was this scary.

So yeah, if its a choice...then I just choose not to worry about things, or to worry about them...and honest self reflection can show me if it really is something I can control or can work on in some way, or not.

Hah, sweet :D After doing that with love, and seeing how it turned out in the end, well...this is gonna be rough, but worth it.

• Like 5

3. Cleaning and organizing and decorating my house (but I can't get the process started on my own...stupid Executive Functioning!!! grrrr! so I never actually do it either)

8. Not having to worry about money (hahahahahahaha like this EVER happens :( )

Challenge Goal #1:

Cleaning, Organizing and Decorating: Make a PvS (or PvP if anyone is interested) for doing Flylady daily routines, missions and zone work. and settle definitively on what I want as far as decor changes (I need new curtains and bedroom stuff mainly). I get a rainbow sticker for doing this everyday before 9pm.

Hi! I saw that you are doing Flylady as part of your challenge. So am I! In the two days I've done "some" Flylady stuff my house has turned around appearance wise. I had already done the decluttering thing several years ago and had a system of zone cleaning that worked great for me up until a few years ago when life just got to hectic to clean except twice a year. Now life has calmed down (three years ago) but I never got back to Flylady so I made it part of my challenge. I'm going crazy because I can't find my Flylady book, but I didn't let that stop me from doing what I remembered for my zone cleaning.

I'm just curious...what are PvS and PvP? This is only my third challenge so I'm kind of new to this.

I have a lot in common with you...I love reading and helping people too. I wanted to give you HOPE about #8. Yes, you can get to a point where you don't worry about money. It took us several years to get there and we had to change our lifestyle a lot and actually live on a budget, but in May we will pay off our last debt (except for student loans which were accrued DURING the debt payoff plan and our house). I'm not talking about piddly debt. We owed over $60,000 (yes you read that right) in unsecured loans. I was making minimum payments on the debts and then charging that much the same month so we basically had $60,000 in revolving debt. Then we attended a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University Class and thus our lives changed. At the time we had a kid just starting college and one just starting high school. After 3 years of working the plan both my husband and I got our income cut which left us about $4,000 less income per year. We made some adjustments kept plugging away on our plan. We didn't have to give up everything, but we did have to cut WAY back on stuff. I'm not worried about the $20,000 in student loans we have. Once we get that last payment made in May we can knock that student loan out in a few months. After a year on the plan when we got our emergency fund in place I no longer worried about money. Thank goodness for the emergency fund...we've used money from it several times over the last 7 or 8 years.  I am not telling you this to brag about our situation, just to let you know it is possible to get to a place where you don't have to worry about money. Ten years ago I wouldn't have believed it. Eight years ago I didn't believe we'd ever get our debt paid off. It didn't happen overnight and it took consistent effort and babysteps to get us to this point, but here we are. I guess the consistent effort and babystep principle can be applied to all aspects of a persons life (health, fitness, a clean/organized house, debt payoff). The thing I realized is that time is going to pass and eventually you'll be 10 years down the road. You can take babysteps and make some changes and in 10 years you'll probably see a significant progress OR you can keep living the way you are (not you specifically, but just people in general) and be exactly the same 10 years from now in any area of your life.

I wish you the best of luck with all your challenge goals. I'll probably peek in every now and then and see how things are going with Flylady!

Not to call it a 'conscious uncoupling,' but there comes a point where you learn a great deal about what you're responsible for and what you're not. For some people, that's an awful thing, but I found it to be liberating when I figured out that there was only so much to control and, as such, only so much to really invest myself into. It makes life easier, having more of your willpower on tap.

• Like 2

Week 1 Day 4:

Challenge Goal #1: 
Cleaning, Organizing and Decorating: (Flylady) 4/4

Wednesday and Thursday: Did more of the bathroom and decided that instead of finishing the closet today, I would help Abby do the couch cushions...We took them out to air out in the sunshine and washed the covers and cleaned the couch and chair arms and back.

Challenge Goal #2:
Quiet Time: (meditations and reading and using my earplugs) 4/4

Challenge Goal #3: 
Helping People: (ambassador duties 30 min 3x week, Scouts on Tuesdays + extra stuff if needed) 3/4

I didn't go to Scouts but have done have done my Ambassador duties twice so far this week. 

Challenge Goal #4: 
Learn something new: (yoga breathing) 3/4
did  not do my breathing on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Hi! I saw that you are doing Flylady as part of your challenge. So am I! In the two days I've done "some" Flylady stuff my house has turned around appearance wise. I had already done the decluttering thing several years ago and had a system of zone cleaning that worked great for me up until a few years ago when life just got to hectic to clean except twice a year. Now life has calmed down (three years ago) but I never got back to Flylady so I made it part of my challenge. I'm going crazy because I can't find my Flylady book, but I didn't let that stop me from doing what I remembered for my zone cleaning.

I'm just curious...what are PvS and PvP? This is only my third challenge so I'm kind of new to this.

I have a lot in common with you...I love reading and helping people too. I wanted to give you HOPE about #8. Yes, you can get to a point where you don't worry about money. It took us several years to get there and we had to change our lifestyle a lot and actually live on a budget, but in May we will pay off our last debt (except for student loans which were accrued DURING the debt payoff plan and our house). I'm not talking about piddly debt. We owed over $60,000 (yes you read that right) in unsecured loans. I was making minimum payments on the debts and then charging that much the same month so we basically had $60,000 in revolving debt. Then we attended a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University Class and thus our lives changed. At the time we had a kid just starting college and one just starting high school. After 3 years of working the plan both my husband and I got our income cut which left us about $4,000 less income per year. We made some adjustments kept plugging away on our plan. We didn't have to give up everything, but we did have to cut WAY back on stuff. I'm not worried about the $20,000 in student loans we have. Once we get that last payment made in May we can knock that student loan out in a few months. After a year on the plan when we got our emergency fund in place I no longer worried about money. Thank goodness for the emergency fund...we've used money from it several times over the last 7 or 8 years.  I am not telling you this to brag about our situation, just to let you know it is possible to get to a place where you don't have to worry about money. Ten years ago I wouldn't have believed it. Eight years ago I didn't believe we'd ever get our debt paid off. It didn't happen overnight and it took consistent effort and babysteps to get us to this point, but here we are. I guess the consistent effort and babystep principle can be applied to all aspects of a persons life (health, fitness, a clean/organized house, debt payoff). The thing I realized is that time is going to pass and eventually you'll be 10 years down the road. You can take babysteps and make some changes and in 10 years you'll probably see a significant progress OR you can keep living the way you are (not you specifically, but just people in general) and be exactly the same 10 years from now in any area of your life.

I wish you the best of luck with all your challenge goals. I'll probably peek in every now and then and see how things are going with Flylady!

Thank you :)

Flylady has all the zone information on her website. This week is Zone 3 :) 

PvP is Player Vs Player (a challenge within the challenge) and PvS is a Player vs Self (a challenge for yourself within your challenge) 

I have what Dave Ramsey calls "income problem" combined with a "debt problem" (our total debt is more than yours, but our income is close to poverty level--I have a college degree but can't find a job for various reasons and you can see via my past challenges how that has been going) so that is extremely depressing and I see no way out of it, until I am able to get a job, and every day that looks less and less likely, and now with our daughter needing to be homeschooled, I have even stopped looking for work entirely, but I am going to go to Graduate School in August and just hope that the required internships will prove enough "experience" for me to be able to find work after graduation...and by then, hopefully J will have graduated with his BS and is working making more money and the kids will have graduated (at least one of them anyways) and we will have more options. But yeah, we can't keep an emergency fund, because every time we get one, we need to use it, and it takes years to replenish, and we need to use it more often than we can replenish it...so yeah...it never gets beyond that step for us...although with our tax return, we are hoping to make some sort of headway finally, since the car is nearly paid for. I just hope life lets us have enough of a break that it will stick.

• Like 2

That is a fascinating article and will be passed on to several people.  Also, an impressive skill set you're building!   

• Like 1

Bekah, what wisdom you show by starting out with a positive, and making the things you enjoy your origin. That will help keep a good level of energy I think.

Aah, the breathing.

My yoga teacher once told me she spent a whole week breathing, at a course. It made her frustrated "just" to breathe, but she feels she benefited enormously.

Indeed - go for the breathing. It is the beginning and the end.

Thank you :) I am not sure how I ended up missing this the first time through, but here it is now :)

I found a great simple article about breathing on Yogajournal.com that was just simple and easy, and I went with it.

I learned something this week (well not exactly, I "knew" it already but didn't practice what I know) about meditation for me...and maybe everyone is like this? I need to practice my meditation and breathing and yoga at 5 am while the world around me is quiet, because it's impossible otherwise. So luckily, my body, being infinitely smarter than my conscious intelligence, woke me up at 5 am today and I did my breathing and meditated....and it was beautiful :)

• Like 3

I learned something this week (well not exactly, I "knew" it already but didn't practice what I know) about meditation for me...and maybe everyone is like this? I need to practice my meditation and breathing and yoga at 5 am while the world around me is quiet, because it's impossible otherwise. So luckily, my body, being infinitely smarter than my conscious intelligence, woke me up at 5 am today and I did my breathing and meditated....and it was beautiful :)

Hurrah for smart bodies.

• Like 1

Hm... I see the gif on mine and am not sure how to fix it... Here's the link tho.

And here's another!! (If it works....)

tumblr_mnh8ptCAcO1rv7jrto1_250.gif

I also wanted to let you know that you have inspired me to look more into FlyLady. I've watched her videos on youtube before, but am signing up for the email list and am going to really give it a shot now. Yay for cleanliness!!! (Mental and physical!) :D

And I totally agree about meditation in the morning. I don't really do it anymore, but trying later in the day was just impossible for me. Now it has become running at 5:30 in the morning, no other time of day really works. It's just so quiet, cool and perfect out that early. Now I wake up naturally for it before my alarm goes off. :D

• Like 1

Hm... I see the gif on mine and am not sure how to fix it... Here's the link tho.

And here's another!! (If it works....)

tumblr_mnh8ptCAcO1rv7jrto1_250.gif

I also wanted to let you know that you have inspired me to look more into FlyLady. I've watched her videos on youtube before, but am signing up for the email list and am going to really give it a shot now. Yay for cleanliness!!! (Mental and physical!) :D

And I totally agree about meditation in the morning. I don't really do it anymore, but trying later in the day was just impossible for me. Now it has become running at 5:30 in the morning, no other time of day really works. It's just so quiet, cool and perfect out that early. Now I wake up naturally for it before my alarm goes off. :D

both of those GIFs are amazing as usual :) and YAY!!! Another Flybaby in the making (that's what she calls all of her followers)

I love the idea of early AM running, but I have to get past the not breathing, to get to the running part, plus I am forever damned to a treadmill before bright daylight bc of my lack of vision....so it may never happen for me, but it sounds great!

Thank you :) I am not sure how I ended up missing this the first time through, but here it is now :)

I found a great simple article about breathing on Yogajournal.com that was just simple and easy, and I went with it.

If I've been practicing very successfully for a while (like months), then I can shrug off distractions while meditating.  But these days,  any distraction gets monkey mind going in every direction.

• Like 1

Challenge Goal #1:

Cleaning, Organizing and Decorating: Make a PvS (or PvP if anyone is interested) for doing Flylady daily routines, missions and zone work. and settle definitively on what I want as far as decor changes (I need new curtains and bedroom stuff mainly). I get a rainbow sticker for doing this everyday before 9pm.

Bekah, I like cleaning and organizing but don't do enough of either. Good goal! Subbed.

• Like 1

Hey Bekah! I finally found your challenge thread! Yay! I love your goals and your colours! :D

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

• Like 1

Week 1 Recap

Challenge Goal #1: 
Cleaning, Organizing and Decorating: (Flylady) 5/5

My bathroom looks amazing after this week's cleaning missions! I am only counting M-F with this, but I did do cleaning stuff on the weekend too. 

Challenge Goal #2:
Quiet Time: (meditations and reading and using my earplugs) 7/7

These daily meditations are making me realize that my insecurity around my finances and my lack of a career really do affect everything in my world, and not in a good way. So, I have been practicing choosing to let go of things I can't control, and even considered praying the other day, although at this stage that feels very disingenuous...it makes more sense not to pray at all, than to pray just because you have to trust someone, or something. 

Challenge Goal #3: 
Helping People: (ambassador duties 30 min 3x week, Scouts on Tuesdays + extra stuff if needed) 3/3 and 0/1

I have done my ambassador duties, but not to the degree that I want to. I did do the 30 minutes 3 days a week, but I feel like I need more than that to really make a difference, but with the onset of my daughter's homeschooling and her needing the computer most of the day, my time to really read the forums is much more limited. I can do it on my Ipad, but I can't reply in the way that I want usually....so it's easier to use the desktop. I really just don't want to do Scouts anymore, I have come to dislike it immensely, but not for the fault of anyone in our Troop themselves...I just don't want to do it and don't want to go and be a part of it, I know why, but it seems silly because it's really irrelevant when I'm talking about the Troop level stuff. 

Challenge Goal #4: Learn something new: (yoga breathing) 3/7

I sorta did this, the other days, but not for any length of time, and not purposefully, just kinda a few breaths, which I guess is better than nothing, but it's still not how I want it to be done. 

• Like 3