Xahn - Challenge 2 - Quest for wheels and Sub-10%BF

Xahn

Hey Folks,

This will be my second challenge, and while I could join the Warriors guild, I'm going to come to the Adventurers as I feel like I'm still getting my feet under me again lifting.

MAIN QUEST:

To be ready for summer when it's hot and feel good in my own skin without a shirt.  I plan on being in the water or on a boat as much as possible, and quite frankly I don't like clothes.   :)

So basically what this means to me is that I'd like to be sub-10% BF, and build my legs and butt.  I suffer from a disease called white boy butt and I'm going to beat it with squats, deadlifts, front squats, romanian deadlifts, and other awesome lifts.  This likely will not be completed in this challenge, but is an ongoing challenge for me.

GOALS:

1) Hit 3 heavy lift days per week (bonus if I get 2 leg days in per week) -  So there is going to be some challenges that will keep me from hitting this 100% because of travel for work.  There is talk of another Sydney Australia trip for me, which means no lifting.  But as long as I'm home I'll be hitting the gym at LEAST 3 times.  I've been managing 5 times lately, so I'm on a pretty good cadence.

+4 STR

2) Continue my diet of lean meat, veggies and low carbs.  But investigate the use of sweet potatoes to give me a touch more calories. - I've plateaued a bit with my fat loss, and my trainers at the gym think it's due to my low calorie diet.  I manage around 1600-1800cal a day, which it needs to be around 2000 - 2200.  I'm always scared to death about adding calories, but I need to do something...

+2 Char, +2 CON

3) Run to Zilker park once a week - This shouldn't be too much trouble for me, but I've NEVER done it.  It's about a 3 mile trip I'd say, and the nice thing is that I have to get back once I'm there.  I typically walk it, so running it will be pretty fun and hard.

+4 DEX

Real Life Quest: Pay off 3k worth of credit debt this next 6 weeks!

+3 WIS

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)?  Is it reasonable?  YES

2. Do your 3 main goals all build towards it in little ways, or are you taking on too much?  Build in small, manageable ways.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them? They are realistic.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked?  What will you use to track them? I'll be using my JEFIT and Food app to track them, also using the mirror for me.

5. How are you grading your goals?  Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)?  Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?  The reward should be the mirror, and I'll come up with a decent scale.  Still need to think about this more.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured? This is also a good question that needs investigation, but it doesn't change my goals.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Passover, Easter, Cinco de Mayo, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge?  What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?  I have taken into account what I can, which my biggest challenge will be travel.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another? They can all coexist.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set?  If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them? I have the time, and more importantly the desire.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? All is focused on my main quest, though they're essentially 3 different disciplines (see above).

OK, I've got a pic.  It's only upper body as I don't have a full length mirror, and it's first thing in the morning where I look tore up.  This is beneficial because I'm sure I'll look better when the end of the challenge comes along.   ;)

Here I am, in all my hairy splendor:

post-27278-0-81824600-1397829510_thumb.j

• Like 2

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

STR: 7 DEX: 5 STA: 2 CON: 5 WIS: 7 CHA: 6

Battle Log, Challenges: #1, #2, CURRENT

If you need to get a second opinion on the progress of your 'white boy butt' feel free to put up photos... I am sure we can help!   :playful:

M x

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

STR - 1 / DEX - 1 / STA - 8 / CON - 9 / WIS - 6 / CHA - 4

Challenge - 1 (Rebel) Challenge - 2 (Adventurer) Challenge - 3 (Adventurer)

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

I suffer from a disease called white boy butt

This is a crippling disease and NO laughing matter, my friend.  I too have the affliction...

:P

Do investigate sweet potatoes. They're a life-saver for me.  Looks good; you're on the way to a warrior.

Let's crush this challenge!!

If this week is anything to measure by (which it's not sadly), I'll do well.  :)  I've already hit the gym 5 times, and each day has felt strong.  Next 3 days of OFF because I'm camping with my cousin and Uncle.  Monday will be the real start!

If you need to get a second opinion on the progress of your 'white boy butt' feel free to put up photos... I am sure we can help!   :playful:

M x

Lol, you'll get your pictures. ;)  I was looking at myself today and I really need a tan.  I was a nice golden brown (which is usually how I like to be) a few weeks ago because of my Sydney trip and hiking a ton, and now I'm getting pasty white again.  No bueno!

This is a crippling disease and NO laughing matter, my friend.  I too have the affliction...

:tongue:

Do investigate sweet potatoes. They're a life-saver for me.  Looks good; you're on the way to a warrior.

Sadly, it seems white boy butt may be an epidemic of epic non-proportions...  :(

I'm at this interesting point of deciding if I want to keep cutting or focus on building strength.  I think I'll keep cutting trying to hit that magical number that lets me keep getting a bit stronger while dropping fat.  I'm also going to up my cardio a bit and see if that helps.  Here in Texas, we're going to start getting to 90-100 degree days with humidity so I really don't want any extra fat on me.  I sweat enough as it is in that kind of heat.  ;)

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

Good luck Xahn, I second the sweet potato thing, they are amazing!

Thanks Leeroy, I'm ready for this one.

Today will be Heavy Push, tomorrow will be legs.  

I will also note that I'm adding in more cardio to my schedule, but more low impact I think.  I'm already trying to run around 3 miles at least on the weekend, so the rest will be biking or elliptical.

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

Alright, already a successful day for heavy push.  It feels great to be back on my diet.  Camping was AWESOME, but we all drank way too much every night, and cooked unhealthy food.  Though we were super active, I can still tell I'm holding water, and was so hungry yesterday I had a cheat meal.  I virtually never cheat, and if I do it's something mild that I don't eat much of.

BUT:  I will say that I drink too much, and that really hampers my gains I think.  If I could cut that out of my life, I'd be good.  I'm planning on cutting alcohol and dating out of my life shortly, which should give me more time to concentrate on me.

Enjoy a picture of my cousins dog after he had a good time in the river.  We call him Dirty Dog Carl.   :)

post-27278-0-54409600-1397513734_thumb.j

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

Awww!  That dog is cute. 

I am feeling you about the drinking.  I only drink a few times a year, but when I do I get super drunk and eat crap to cure my hangover.  My first drink in 2014 happened on Saturday at my sisters engagement party.  Thank god it was during a break in challenges!

M x

• Like 1

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

'Rule #1 - Cardio.  Zombies lead a very active life style; so should you.'  Zombieland.

Lol, being a 35 year old single dude, I find myself dating and drinking.  Or going out with my friends (I'm also in a new city) hanging out and drinking.  But I'm trying to cut back on both of those.  I haven't been terribly successful dating, and I think it's just time to relax a little bit.  :)

UPDATE 4/15:

Did all posterior chain today, and it was great.  I'm finally through the examination (which was thorough!) with my trainer, and we're finally lifting some weight.  She is pushing me to go a little farther than I do on my own, which is great.  I'm finding that I CAN go quite a bit farther than I feel comfortable going.  So it's great having her.  

Diet is back in order, which is great too.  That camping trip destroyed me, and I'm super happy to be back on the diet (which isn't much of a diet anymore to be honest, it's just the way I eat).  I much prefer eating clean to going out and eating crap honestly...

I'll go ahead and copy in my battle log info so you guys can see what I did today:

Battle Log 4/15:

Kayla Leg Day

Deadlift:

Set 1: 135 x 8

Set 2: 185 x 8

Set 3: 235 x 5  (+50lbs)

Set 4: 235 x 3  (+50lbs)

Set 5: 235 x 3  (+50lbs)

Set 6: 235 x 3  (+50lbs)

NOTE: By the last two sets, my form was crap.  It was very apparent that I was getting exhausted.  Also, the bar kept slipping out of my hands because I was sweaty.  Going to need some chalk or something!

Good Mornings:

Set 1: 95 x 8 (+10lbs)

Set 2: 115 x 8 (+20lbs)

Set 3: 135 x 8 (+40lbs)

Set 4: 135 x 8 (+40lbs)

Single Leg, Leg Press:

Set 1: 45 x 8

Set 2: 70 x 8 (+25lbs)

Set 3: 70 x 6 (+25lbs)

Set 4: 70 x 6 (+25lbs)

Lying Leg Curl Machine:

Set 1: 120 x 8 (+10lbs)

Set 2: 110 x 8

Set 3: 110 x 8

NOTE: 120 was too much.    :)  Not to mention by this time, my freakin hams were destroyed...

Ab Machine (basically this, but a little different):

Set 1: 90 x 8

Set 2: 120 x 8

Set 3: 120 x 8

OVERALL: I felt pretty strong today.  I STILL really need to work on my deadlift form, but it's getting better, and the weight is getting easier.  Today was all posterior chain, and I love doing that.  It's very odd, but I've got incredibly strong hams, no butt, and weak quads.  I found out today that my trainer at 5'2, 115 squats 235 as her max.  Whoa!  Course, her quads look it.    :)

• Like 1

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

UPDATE 4/16:

Back (lbs x reps)

Face Pulls:

2 Sets: 35 x 10 (warm up)

Seated Neutral Rows:

Set 1: 110 x 8

Set 2: 120 x 8

Set 3: 130 x 6

Set 4: 130 x 6

Seated Neutral Rows Reverse Grip (same as above, just with an underhand grip):

Set 1: 110 x 8

Set 2: 110 x 6

Set 3: 110 x 6

Set 4: 110 x 6

Reverse Grip Bent Over Barbell Rows:

Set 1: 95 x 8

Set 2: 135 x 8

Set 3: 145 x 8

Set 4: 145 x 8

Supersetted with:

Deadlift like Barbell Shrug (can't find this exercise, but basically I picked the bar up like a deadlift and then shrugged it back (barbell shrugs)):

Set 1: 145 x 8

Set 2: 195 x 8

Set 3: 195 x 6

Set 4: 195 x 6

Wide Grip Machine Pulldowns (exercise):

Set 1: 8 x 135

Set 2: 6 x 135

Set 3: 6 x 145

SUPERSETTED WITH:

Close Grip Machine Pulldowns (exercise):

Set 1: 6 x 135

Set 2: 6 x 135

Set 3: 6 x 145

SUPERSETTED WITH:

Upright Rows EZ Curl Bar (exercise) (EZ Curl Bar):

Set 1: 6 x 50

Set 2: 6 x 50

Set 3: 6 x 50

Ab Circuit:

2 sets

OVERALL:  Didn't feel the strongest today, but still was able to up the weight in certain areas.  This is a tough workout with the super setting, it really wears me out.  Also, it absolutely destroys my grip.

• Like 1

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

Pretty sure you promised white boy butt pics...

Cute selfies, but they are going to be hard to see progress when you have loose fitting clothes on?

M x

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Haha, I'm just taking them down since I can only post so many pictures on the thread.  I'll post up some shirtless / mostly pantless pictures when I can.  I just haven't had the time to do my manscaping yet.  ;)  The first time always takes sooooooooo long.

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

UPDATE 4/17:

Leg Day (Focused on quads since last time was posterior chain):

Front Squats (with clean grip):

Set 1: Bar x 10

Set 2: 95 x 8

Set 3: 115 x 8

Set 4: 135 x 8

Set 5: 145 x 6 (+10lbs)

Set 6: 145 x 6 (+10lbs)

Set 7: 155 x 5 (+20lbs)

NOTE: I didn't really notice that I did this many sets, but 155 was hard.

Bulgarian Split Squats (barbell):

Set 1: 45 x 6

Set 2: 45 x 6

Set 3: 55 x 6 (+10lbs)

Set 4: 55 x 6 (+10lbs)

Barbell Standing Lunges (same as link, just with barbell instead):

Set 1: 45 x 6

Set 2: 45 x 6

Set 3: 45 x 6

NOTE: This is the first time I've ever done this exercise...

Leg Press:

Set 1: 180 x 8

Set 2: 270 x 8

Set 3: 270 x 6

Set 4: 360 x 5 (+90lbs)

Adductor Machine:

Set 1: 130 x 8

Set 2: 150 x 8

Set 3: 150 x 8

Set 4: 150 x 8

Abductor Machine:

Set 1: 130 x 8

Set 2: 130 x 8

Set 3: 130 x 8

Set 4: 130 x 8

Ab Circuit:

2 Sets

OVERALL: Weight went up again for front squats, which is a good thing.  And I hit an extra 90lbs on the leg press.  I think it's time I start pushing harder...

• Like 1

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

So I'm wondering if I'm not pushing myself hard enough.  I think I can do more and I think I SHOULD do more.  I'm going to add in some steady state cardio for fun, and see how that goes.  30 minutes 2 times a week walking an incline treadmill.  I've already got my runs on the weekend (though Easter might make this one a bit tough).  

I'm not happy with my fat loss right now, and I'm not sure why that is.  I'm working out a lot, I'm eating what I believe to be enough calories, and I feel like I'm getting fatter.  It may be all in my head (major body dismorphism with me), but I really think I've gained some fat.

Well, the only thing to do is keep moving forward.  

Diet is basically solid:

Breakfast: protein drink with 1/2 cup oats

Lunch 1: 1/2lb chicken w sweet potato

After Workout: protein drink with 1/2 cup oats

Lunch 2: 1/2lb chicken  w sweet potato

Dinner: chicken w broccoli

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

I'm not happy with my fat loss right now, and I'm not sure why that is.  I'm working out a lot, I'm eating what I believe to be enough calories, and I feel like I'm getting fatter.

Taking measurements?

• Like 2

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Taking measurements?

I knew I'd be called out on that.  ;)  I'm not yet Hazard, I need to start.  

BTW, I posted my starter pic (pre-manscaping) on the original post for this thread if you're curious where I am...

• Like 1

Xahn

Human Level 3 Adventurer

I would have to agree.  You seem to have a pretty low body fat percentage already!

It is hard being self aware sometimes tho, so defo take more pictures and measurements.

M x

Ps.  Loving the tartan jimjam bottoms!

• Like 1

Xanjra - Level 3 - Human

Spoiler

Battle Log 2014

UK Support Group

Long Term Goals Support

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines