• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I am Eve

All about Eve. Challenge number 10

Hello again.

I have not formulated all the details yet (actually very few ;-) ), but still wanted to put a placeholder here.

There will be a proper challenge for me this time. I need the discipline and the goals to keep myself at a good place.

Yoga is a given, probably running as well. And something new....

More soon

AND HERE IT IS!!

Challenge number ten

It is amazing to realize that I have spent over a year here and that this is my tenth challenge. I feel proud and pleased to still be here, finding new ways to challenge myself as well as continuing on already familiar paths.

Simultaneously it feels a little harder to formulate something that resonates deep within, and I do not want to just tag along, I want the challenge to be me. 

That is what it became.

It is all about me.

It is all about Eve

Taking better care of ME

Becoming the best version of ME

Being true to ME

Listening closely to ME

Making good choices for ME

Now, isn't this a little bit too ego focused?, don't I feel ashamed writing me with capital letters?, do I really put myself at the centre of my universe?

Well in a way I do. I do believe that the strongest drive within is the preservation of the self. As a natural scientist I believe in survival of the fittest and making choices based on a primitive instinct preserving the race.

In this challenge I explore the different alternatives I have regarding the choices for me, and strengthen the ones I find best. Choices made FOR me do not automatically need to be AGAINST or OPPOSED to something or someone else. 

My motivation is, as always, to prevent a relapse in my fatigue syndrome. In order to do this I need to stay in touch with myself, and keep aware of my energy levels. This is going fairly well but it still isn't entirely stabile. I will have to keep working on this for the rest of my life.

The goals

Listening closely to ME

I want my yoga practice to grow with me. On the mat I create and maintain harmony, which makes the constant noise from the world more distant and I can hear my heart and read my heartbeat.

My daily practice has become less daily and I want to come back into it.

Yoga every day

One day a week I go to class

4 days a week I do my own one hour program at home.

The other two days I will spend varying amounts of time on the mat

Grading

A 42-39 times   B 38-35   C 34-31  D 30-27  E 26-23  F below 23

It is time for something new. It is time to limit alcohol.

I enjoy drinking wine and I am not happy with my consumption, I put a silver lining on my day too often. 

It does not involve getting drunk and doing stupid things, but it does involve getting more tired in the morning and also of course more longterm negative health effects.

I am allowed alcohol maximum twice per week or 12 times in total during this challenge.

Grading

Pass or fail

I need physical and mental strength. Through the last two years I have started running for exercise, building strength and letting out tension. Let it continue.

I will run outdoors 2 times per week, minimum 5 kilometers.

Finally, I was not going to add a life quest this time but as it often is in (my) life, something came up and I realized it was time for a big decision.

Being true to ME

I have been carrying around a research plan for my thesis, in my head, for a very long time. Then I went on sick leave in 2011 and everything was put on hold. Now I have settled in my new workplace after having started in October, and a good friend, and academic scholar, has gently pushed me towards this decision.

I start from scratch and have no prior knowledge or schooling  in the field, and it scares me! So, what do I do when things scare me? I run towards them

1) Create a research plan good enough to apply for research time during the fall

Deadline April 22

2) Whatever comes after that - I don't really know yet because it will be part of the plan. Probably continue establish contact with tutors, and chart the lay of the land in my field thoroughly.

How to do this

My life is not empty with lots and lots of spare time to begin with.

I have earlier been very ill so I NEED to establish a plan that allows for rest and recovery.

So; Saturdays will be my rest day; no running, no research.

I will allocate a minimum of 6 hours per week or one hour per day for this.

However, this might be subject to change since I  really don't know how much time I will need yet.

Grading

-will relate to how good I am at keeping my rest day free of activity: pass or fail

-will relate to if I manage to submit my plan on the 22

The way this challenge is designed will force me to be very precise with how I divide my time spent awake. I will (for the coming years….) have to make conscious choices. Many conscious choices. This is good for many reasons but the one that I am thinking about in particular is that I feel dissatisfied with how I sometimes (when I am alone in my flat) just mindlessly check Facebook or blogs or whatever, just for distraction. I get caught in doing it and it brings me nothing good. It has to stop.

Let it begin!

• Like 4

Challenge #10! You are a rockstar, you know that? I've also always been really appreciative of how encouraging you've been in some of my past challenges Eve, can't wait to follow you on this one. :)

What Leonine said. You've been so encouraging for so many of us. :)

I'm looking forward to see how you'll be doing this challenge. +watch

That is so sweet of you Haku!

Challenge is updated!

Well of course. ^_^ You've been supporting me through my last challenge, I want to be here to support you too now, if you will ever need it. 

I think your challenge is really nice. I just read it and I think it's good that you choose for yourself. Being able to function properly in society

always starts with yourself. You cannot be there for others if you cannot be there for yourself. That's why I think this challenge will bring you

a strong ground to build on. :) And strong ground is what we all need. So go rock this challenge, I'm sure you'll be so proud of yourself when

you've completed this challenge. :D I'm cheering for you.

It is all about me.

It is all about Eve

Taking better care of ME

Being true to ME

Listening closely to ME

Now, isn't this a little bit too ego focused?, don't I feel ashamed writing me with capital letters?, do I really put myself at the centre of my universe?

Well in a way I do. I do believe that the strongest drive within is the preservation of the self. As a natural scientist I believe in survival of the fittest and making choices based on a primitive instinct preserving the race.

In this challenge I explore the different alternatives I have regarding the choices for me, and strengthen the ones I find best. Choices made FOR me do not automatically need to be AGAINST or OPPOSED to something or someone else. 

In my opinion, the only way to truly be able to make any sort of change is to put yourself at the center of the universe. It's YOUR body/mind/soul. NOBODY else can affect any of those unless YOU let them do it. So, no, I don't think it's ego focused at all. Don't be ashamed. Put yourself first, and everything else third.

• Like 2

Starting a thesis from scratch in a new field?! Challenging indeed! Here goes our Eve, being courageous again!

Seriously. I can't even finish the last 5% of my thesis that is in my field -_- Which field are you in BTW? And which field will the new thesis be in?

I feel ya on the "only drink two days a week" thing. Whenever I feel like having a bottle on a weekday, I'll look at your thread XD

Welcome back!

Oh alcohol, my dear friend. I don't drink anymore. I lived in a fraternity house long enough, so I know how nice just one beer/wine can be ;)

Did you ever experience a heart opening during your practice?

Alcohol forces it. Thats why we feel so good after a little dose...

So maybe do something selfloving when a glass of wine would feel nice now ;)

Good luck!

Wonderful challenge, Eve. Looking forward to cheering you on.

Thank you so much Heidi, I'll need it !!

Well of course. ^_^ You've been supporting me through my last challenge, I want to be here to support you too now, if you will ever need it. 

I think your challenge is really nice. I just read it and I think it's good that you choose for yourself. Being able to function properly in society

always starts with yourself. You cannot be there for others if you cannot be there for yourself. That's why I think this challenge will bring you

a strong ground to build on. :) And strong ground is what we all need. So go rock this challenge, I'm sure you'll be so proud of yourself when

you've completed this challenge. :D I'm cheering for you.

Very true, you always start with your best friend in the mirror.

In my opinion, the only way to truly be able to make any sort of change is to put yourself at the center of the universe. It's YOUR body/mind/soul. NOBODY else can affect any of those unless YOU let them do it. So, no, I don't think it's ego focused at all. Don't be ashamed. Put yourself first, and everything else third.

Interesting, I though you guys would find it a bit weird  - apparently forcing myself through open doors ;-)

Starting a thesis from scratch in a new field?! Challenging indeed! Here goes our Eve, being courageous again!

Ahem, well yes.. We'll see if I fail or not....

Seriously. I can't even finish the last 5% of my thesis that is in my field -_- Which field are you in BTW? And which field will the new thesis be in?

I feel ya on the "only drink two days a week" thing. Whenever I feel like having a bottle on a weekday, I'll look at your thread XD

Yes, let's keep each other accountable on the drinks ;-)

I am an anesthesist/anesthesiologist depending on what kind of English you speak, and I am a consultant in the intensive care unit.

My thesis will hopefully be about end of life decision making and other ethical dilemmas, because this is something I work with on a daily basis and am very interested in.

Please don't stop talking to me now that I told you!

Welcome back!

Oh alcohol, my dear friend. I don't drink anymore. I lived in a fraternity house long enough, so I know how nice just one beer/wine can be ;)

Did you ever experience a heart opening during your practice?

Alcohol forces it. Thats why we feel so good after a little dose...

So maybe do something selfloving when a glass of wine would feel nice now ;)

Good luck!

Very good advice my friend!

Hello, friend!  I love everything about your challenge.  You are an inspiration as always.  :)

Can't wait to see the progress!

Making me smile again, thank you!

It is late and I have just finished a late dinner and haven't done my one hour of research time. I am nervous that I have taken on too much but still feel REALLY motivated and want to do this and have so much inspiration. 

Yesterday I did 20 min of guided breathing, one hour of studying and had no alcohol

Today I went to yoga class, came home to cook and walk the cat, will do studying after I press enter. No alcohol.

No running yet

Onwards!

My thesis will hopefully be about end of life decision making and other ethical dilemmas, because this is something I work with on a daily basis and am very interested in.

Sounds interesting indeed. I just rounded off ethics as a chosen theory subject last term. This would've been a great subject for an essay. How long does your thesis have to be? If you're stuck and don't have any ideas, I think lots of people here are willing to have a philosophical discussion about this, including me. n_n I'm very interested in this subject. Do you have to give a clear opinion in your thesis, or is it purely subjective?

Sounds interesting indeed. I just rounded off ethics as a chosen theory subject last term. This would've been a great subject for an essay. How long does your thesis have to be? If you're stuck and don't have any ideas, I think lots of people here are willing to have a philosophical discussion about this, including me. n_n I'm very interested in this subject. Do you have to give a clear opinion in your thesis, or is it purely subjective?

I did master's work in ethics, specifically utilitarianism. Let me know if you want to gab philosophy - Peter Singer et al have lots to say (and lots that has been said to him!) on the end of life subject. Have you read any of his articles?

Yes, let's keep each other accountable on the drinks ;-)

I am an anesthesist/anesthesiologist depending on what kind of English you speak, and I am a consultant in the intensive care unit.

Please don't stop talking to me now that I told you!

Accountability? Totally! Holy shit, I wanted a glass of wine (or six) so badly last night, while cleaning and being nagged about cleaning wrong (WTF though, how does one "clean wrong"?) I don't even know how I managed to summon the willpower to not have one, especially since I didn't even have to get up too early the next day.

Whoa...I never realized that anesthesiologists had to deal with end-of-life decisions, although I guess it does make sense. The ethical issues would fill a thesis, fo' sho'! I...sort of want to read it once it's done XD

I did master's work in ethics, specifically utilitarianism. Let me know if you want to gab philosophy - Peter Singer et al have lots to say (and lots that has been said to him!) on the end of life subject. Have you read any of his articles?

Oooh, awesome. Yeah, I'm familiar with utilitarianism, or at least... I know what it means. Difficult word. xD But I don't know about Peter Singer. I only had Ethics as a subject for 1 term, unfortunately, so we didn't get the chance to go very deep into all the theories. I'll look up Peter Singer. :) 

Accountability? Totally! Holy shit, I wanted a glass of wine (or six) so badly last night, while cleaning and being nagged about cleaning wrong (WTF though, how does one "clean wrong"?) I don't even know how I managed to summon the willpower to not have one, especially since I didn't even have to get up too early the next day.

Whoa...I never realized that anesthesiologists had to deal with end-of-life decisions, although I guess it does make sense. The ethical issues would fill a thesis, fo' sho'! I...sort of want to read it once it's done XD

Great job on not taking that glass of wine, you're strong!!

I guess it depends on how the ICU is organized. Here it's run by anesthesiologists, hence why we're so involved.

Hopefully it will be a good read (in a loong time)!

I'm just getting my feet wet with medical stuff including end of life issues.

As an EMT, nurses have tried to send patients with us as DNR with no pink sheet. Very very wrong, right?

• Like 1

How fun!

Well the thesis, or dissertation, I am not sure about what is the right name for it, will consist of four individual papers that each need to get published in a scientific journal. The time to complete it will be at least four years and it's likely to be longer.

I am interested in studying the process of decision making, how it is perceived and how it is actually done, etc...