• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I am Eve

All about Eve. Challenge number 10

I did master's work in ethics, specifically utilitarianism. Let me know if you want to gab philosophy - Peter Singer et al have lots to say (and lots that has been said to him!) on the end of life subject. Have you read any of his articles?

No, haven't read anything, yet!

Looks very interesting!!

I'm just getting my feet wet with medical stuff including end of life issues.

As an EMT, nurses have tried to send patients with us as DNR with no pink sheet. Very very wrong, right?

I am not sure I understand, could you explain

Easter Friday

A well needed day off. My husband, who's visiting me at the moment, and I slept blissfully late and enjoyed brunch with fried eggs and coffee!!

Now he's out biking and I have just finished one hour on my research prep. Now time for yoga!

Yesterday I had a day of allowed alcohol consumption - I went for AW with the residents and had a very good time!

I managed also to limit it so I don't feel too tired today :-)

• Like 2

Saturday

It's late and I have been working today. On my way home I went for an extra walk, spring is coming and it is very beautiful .

When I arrived home I took the cat for a walk and then decided to start cooking. I am very proud to say that even though I did feel very tired I managed not to take the easy way out but to cook a proper and healthy meal. It is so much better for me but definitely takes discipline to do .

Now I have finished and have enough to bring some food with me for my night on call tomorrow!

When I arrived home I also had a phone conversation about my research so I have 40 minutes left to fill with work today. Then there's an hour of yoga which I think will be mainly restorative tonight.

I LOVE feeling that I have the power to make good choices for me.

• Like 1

Yesterday I had a day of allowed alcohol consumption - I went for AW with the residents and had a very good time!

I managed also to limit it so I don't feel too tired today :-)

This is probably a stupid question, but what is AW?

How fun!

Well the thesis, or dissertation, I am not sure about what is the right name for it, will consist of four individual papers that each need to get published in a scientific journal. The time to complete it will be at least four years and it's likely to be longer.

I am interested in studying the process of decision making, how it is perceived and how it is actually done, etc...

Wauw, 4 individual papers. Sounds pretty heavy if you ask me. At least you'll have at least 4 years to do it all, so that's good. You'll have the time to make it good. I'm sure you'll do terrific.

The process of decision making. Wauw! Very deep. I never really thought about it, to be honest. Awesome thing to write about. Is there any measurable thing in the brain during decision making? I dunno, maybe something specific happens, that specific parts of the brain work together. I did hear once that your brain already makes a decision before you're even aware that the decision has been made. I found that quite intriguing. Do you already have an idea in what way you want to approach this whole thing?

Also, Happy Easter! 

Easter-Eggs.jpg

I LOVE feeling that I have the power to make good choices for me.

Awesome!  I love this!

I also am very interested in end of life decision making. Does Sweden allow for euthanasia? That would add a whole other wrinkle that we don't have here in the U.S. 

Monday

Late, after working nightshift.

I had a wonderful day and I finished my first part for my research - I have written the first project description and need to send it to my professor. Wish me luck!

Now, sleep!

Summary week one

Quite an intense week.

Research: A

As I write this it is the 22nd and after I make this post I will send my research plan via email.

It feels fantastic and frightening at the same time.

As I have been working on it during the week I have realized how easy it is to get completely lost in it and the time just flies.

This is in a way wonderful because it makes me even more sure that I am doing this at the right time and that I have what it takes to finally start this, that I am passionate enough. On the other hand I have to watch it because I can feel that I am balancing on the border of it being too much. For now I am on the right side of that border. 

I did not take Saturday off, I took Thursday off. After going to after work and having drinks my mind was not at all there for creating the proposal. I sat giggling at the table with my husband instead, and it felt GREAT!

Also, I am checking Facebook and doing mindless surfing a lot less!

Yoga; B plus

I am indeed coming back to the practice that I need so much. Last week I took two classes as well, making up for one that I missed. I almost reached my goal, but one of the sessions at home - on Saturday, after my husband had left and I was tired after being on call and probably a bit sad - just didn't get going in a good way. I couldn't relax and just felt tense. I decided that just being on the mat was good enough and I breathed as best I could. I am sure that I benefited from that anyway.

I have finally bought a new yogamat that I am "breaking in", it still smells new but it is a lot sturdier than the last one.

This week we did fish pose at class - after an inversion - and I loved it. It released a lot of tension.

Running; A

Amazing. Spring is here full on and I've ran twice. Not very fast but it still is great to come back to it. The week before last I had a little bit of a cold and a really stubborn cough and I thought it would feel more strenuous but it's just fine!

Alcohol; A

I had alcohol when I went on the after work thing and during dinner on Good Friday.

On both occasions I enjoyed it and didn't drink too much. 

I think I feel a little less tired in the mornings but most of all pleased feeling that I have taken command (at least so far  :nightmare:  )

It was also soooo obvious that no scientific work worth mentioning will be performed while being "under the influence"  :pirate:

All in all, like I said, a very intense week with my husband visiting, work and social activities along with starting something I have dreamed about for a very very long time.

Wow, Eve! What a great week! It looks like you're absolutely rocking it.

That's so great about your research. I love how you're so into it; I get happy seeing people doing things that make them happy! Awesome! 

Wauw, 4 individual papers. Sounds pretty heavy if you ask me. At least you'll have at least 4 years to do it all, so that's good. You'll have the time to make it good. I'm sure you'll do terrific.

The process of decision making. Wauw! Very deep. I never really thought about it, to be honest. Awesome thing to write about. Is there any measurable thing in the brain during decision making? I dunno, maybe something specific happens, that specific parts of the brain work together. I did hear once that your brain already makes a decision before you're even aware that the decision has been made. I found that quite intriguing. Do you already have an idea in what way you want to approach this whole thing?

Also, Happy Easter!

Easter-Eggs.jpg

Easter was lovely and Sunny here Haku, I hope you got some of that too.

I want to study how individuals make decisions by asking them. Part of the research will be in the shape of some kind of interview and/or questionnaire.

Awesome! I love this!

I also am very interested in end of life decision making. Does Sweden allow for euthanasia? That would add a whole other wrinkle that we don't have here in the U.S.

It is fascinating! No, euthanasia is illegal here.

Sun is shining and I'm having coffee before that last night on-call this week. Tomorrow I am going north; "my other home".

I did my yoga and tried to sleep, rest and relax. I usually end up being awake the whole night so I get tired (15:15-07:30)

Feeling a little restless but I am sticking to plan. I have packed, yesterday I cleaned and I am pretty much ready to go....

Sorry it took me so long to get back.

A DNR is do no resuscitate. It's a form that requires two physician's signatures, and the patient or their Guardian. Photocopies are not acceptable.

Despite that many times we're asked to transport patients without the document, yet treat them as a DNR. Essentially, asking me to refuse my duty to act when a patient requires an intervention on the nurse's word "I swear, he's a DNR" kind of thing.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Very interesting Tod. I think that it is vital to abide to the rules, meaning that if the written documentation is there - then there is no question about what we should or should not do. If there is no written documentation, then there is no decision.

The question of limiting treatment is very delicate and scary, and no patient should fear not getting the treatment needed for him or her to get well, in the context you describe. We are there for the patients.

• Like 1

On the train. I really like my trips between my two homes.

Being in the same car, knowing that for the next 6 hours I can do whatever I want from my seat.

I often hang out here on NF, or work, or both.

I feel at peace and start doing things like emptying my email inbox, or look through my calendar - adding and deleting and in general getting a good overview. It is nice not having to/being able to/ do so many other things like cooking, working out, cleaning, etc.

Of course there is the reflection that it would be nice to be able to step into my mental train car whenever I want. When I need to focus or create a feeling of personal space. It is all a question of mind power I guess.

For now I'll keep practicing here, on the train, on the way home to my love for a long weekend together. 

• Like 2

Summary week two

Again on the train, heading to my apartment and leaving my darling behind. Sometimes I wonder what I am doing...

How did this week go then?

A lot revolved around the research application that I sent in on Tuesday. It felt amazing, and I hope that the professor approves.

Since I put in quite a few hours more than planned I took some time off from research thoughts during the week.

I qualify for an A this week still, having spent at least six hours. After Tuesday I've mainly been working on learning how to do database searches in a good and structured way. It's difficult!!

Yoga

This week I only went to one class. I do like my current teacher a lot and get a lot of inspiration for new poses and thoughts. She has ayurveda as a theme this semester and has been talking about the different personality types. I am definitely a pitta  :nevreness:

I have done three one hour sessions during the week including the class. Short sessions I have done three as well and I plan to do one hour when I get back home tonight. That would mean a B I think.

Alcohol

Well now, this week I have stepped out of my boundaries a bit and my quota was filled already when I went home for the weekend  :panda:

I have had alcohol four times which means that I have used six of my allowed twelve occasions. We'll see how I do on this goal...

However, I do feel more aware and make conscious choices related to the occasion and what I am doing the next day, etc. This is exactly what I wanted so I am pleased  :orange:

Running

I only managed once this week, partly due to the fact that I spent two nights on call and that is a bit draining. On one day I did quite a bit of walking still so it's not that bad.

All in all a pretty good week and I feel a lot of energy to start next week off with!

• Like 1