When I grow up I want to be a monk - gotta kick butt at this challenge first.

Back story = 43 year old female, day job = science, play job = music (double bass), already love martial arts - I'm a 2nd Dan black belt in kickboxing/sport karate, and an orange belt in jujitsu, but my training is slightly more sporadic than I like and I have a life goal which is a bigee for me for this challenge.  I've been hiding out in the nerdfitness academy for a while, and it now feels like time for a challenge.

Big goal = get fighting fit

What is fighting fit?

1) healthy

I have coeliac disease (yippee!) so I have to completely avoid all gluten, this means a lot of food preparation and a lot of care when I eat food that I haven't prepared, and when I get it wrong I'm ill for about a fortnight, then ropey for longer, so I absolutely must avoid all of the gluten.  And when I've made bad poor choices then the range of food that i can stomach drastically reduces.

I want to feel that cooking healthy food is a tasty and delicious choice, and to help it feel like fun I have a food goal of trying one new recipe a week.

Two grades for this as staying healthy is a huge goal at the moment:

Gluten - complete avoidence = A, any consumption = Fail

6 new recipes = A, 5=B, 4=C ,<4=Fail

2)  Fit

Trained in martial arts

i   Kickboxing class is on a sunday

ii  Jujitsu classes are tuesday and thursday  (hopefully there will be a grading in the next 6 weeks - if there is then my jujitsu goal is to pass my grading from orange to green belt)

I will get to these classes and ideally have one or two consolidation sessions each week at home.

Plus, I will cross train to improve my fitness, my flexibiltiy and my strength

The cross training is:

i   yoga twice a week

ii   Body weight training three times a week (currently in a slightly modified level 2 of the Academy BW, in the 6 weeks, get to level 4)

iii  Running for CV fitness (treadmill running on the same days as the BW training, and a longer outdoor run in the weekend)

Complicating getting fighting fit is that in the last 5 weeks I ended up eating gluten twice (oh the joys of cross contamination and bad food labelling) - so I'm feeling convalescent.  I'll have to build up to a full load of exercise gently. 

Sliding scale for exercise (reflecting recovery from convalescence)

week1) 40% of goal exercise = A

week 2) 50 of goal exercise = A

week 3) 2/3 of goal exercise = A

weeks 4,5,6) I get a C grade for doing 1/2 of the exercise listed here, a B for 2/3 and an A for anything over 3/4.

3)  Life goals

Yep, that is plural, I'm aiming for two - the first I've been good at since november, the second I've been avoiding for years......

1)  Play that bass - can't have the play job without practise.

Specifics = practise for more than 30 minutes, it can be jazz, it can be classical, it can be extended technique, it just has to happen.

Fail = playing less than 50% of the days, C= 50% of days, B = 2/3, A > 3/4, amazing = every day.

2)  Write that paper.....

Evil paper for naisty ex-boss.  The work almost broke me, then last time I worked on the paper coincided with a bad break up which involved emergency services (such a soap opera!), so I have a few issues with managing to finish this work.  But I have to do it.  So, I promise as part of my challenge to work on the paper three times a week (usually wednesday, saturday and sunday), each of these sessions has to be a minimum of an hours work.  An A grade = getting a draft of the paper to naisty ex-boss.  A B-grade = working on it three times a week and getting it close to passing on to n-e-b.  A C-grade = managing most of the working on it sessions.

I want to set up a couple of get out of jail free cards:

1)If I get a gig this takes over from all other goals - including training the morning after - so if I have a rehearsal, then next morning is a rest morning, and I get a pass slip wrt missing evening training, but not paper writing - the paper writing then needs to transfer to another day.

2) Gluten - worst case scenario is that I eat gluten during the challenge.......  if this happens I'll have to do a complete re-boot.  Usually the best I can do is no exercise in week 1, 3 very easy sessions (a 10 min out door walk, or 30 min v light yoga) in week 2 and then increase from there - so if I gluten, then I can still get a c- to c grade for the challenge if i get back into some exercise from 7 days after gluten.

Wowser, I am going to need a complicated reward chart for this lot.  But I already do most of it when I'm healthy - just not the paper writing in the evenings...........

Any account-a-buddies out there for paper writing?

• Like 3

NF challenges: March 2018 , 12 , 11 , 10, 9876, 54321

Is that a terrifying gingerbread man in your photo?

That sucks about gluten. I know for me; all that happens is I get really lethargic and the food sits in my stomach like cement for a solid 10 hours. After a day or so I start to feel normal again.  Looks like you'll be a good monk.  For accountabillibuddys, I believe there is a sheet that will be posted that has guilds and individual partnering up. Good luck and have fun! 

• Like 1

The good news is that the ginger ninja in the photo is gluten free.

The other good news is that I've started - cooked up a storm in the weekend so that food should be easy for the week, went to kickboxing training last night, and the gym this morning.  This morning's gym session was horribly revealing.   First gym session since glutening on 28th march and my heart rate was ok (so I'm ok to be back at the gym), but it was hard work doing things - so I resorted to a recovery session of 10 min warm up on the bike and a gentle 3 k on the treadmill.  It didn't feel so very gentle!  Good to be back to the gym.  A challenge though getting the pacing of things right - enough exercise so I get fitter, not so much that I crash (i've gotten this wrong a few times before.....).

• Like 1

Hey, Lou! I'm EileenM over in the Academy and I'm delighted to see you starting a 6-week challenge here!

Great goals and great plan! (One of these challenges will see me committing to daily guitar practice time... :P)

• Like 1

Merganser: Level 4 Anatidae Scout

STR 4 | DEX 5 | STA 5 | CON 7 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

Intro | Current Challenge: Train for Spain!

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

of the family Anatidae on our hands." --Douglas Adams

I have celiac disease too -- for me, I stick to eating primally (paleo but allowing dairy) and that seems to work the best for me :) There's tons of easy and awesome primal recipes out there, I only struggle when it comes to breakfast now. I get sick of eggs and bacon ;) But once you get started, it gets easier and easier cooking for yourself! Find what you like the best and build upon it :)

• Like 1
Meg -- Primal since late June 2013, never going back! 

26%
26%

weight loss progress

Thanks for the feedback.

So far so good on the challenge (except I'm a bit late eading off to bed right now) - lots of beethoven last night (a local orchestra is playing beethoven symphony #9 very soon - so I have a few notes to learn - beautiful music though - fabulous fun to play).

Also fun was tonight's jujitsu - the coach has been having ideas - there were a lot of pretzel impersonations tonight.  Fabulous!  Such a treat having a good training session. 

And a sticker on my reward chart for bass practise today as well (yep, every time I practise I get to put a sticker on my calendar - works except for when I finish stickers that i like......).  Amazing how guilty I feel if there are a few blank days......

Gym bag packed for the morning, meals aliquoted and in the fridge for tomorrow.  Sleep o'clock.  Yay!

• Like 1

Morning gym was good - got there nice and early (but had still managed to play with both cats before leaving home - is enough attention to stop a repeat of yesterday's cat gift of room redecoration with feathers and potted plant remnants on the floor?) - am back to managing 5 k on the treadmill (slow, but i'm fine with that for today) and BW level2A, but as thats more workout than for ages I let myself not do burpees to finish.  Felt really good to manage some body weight exercises again.

I still do stickers for my workouts too!  And I totally get the whole guilty feeling thing if I miss a day.  :)

• Like 1

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

Hiya! Looks like your killing it so far :)

How's the paper coming? If you still need a accountabilibuddy let me know!

• Like 1

Me again - all going just fine - last night nailed my butt to my desk chair, set a timer, had a pot of tea ready and waiting for me (learnt that one years ago - first attempt at procrastination is always, I'm thirsty, I'll go make a pot of tea, hell no!  Stay where you are, tea is all ready and waiting to be drunk, get back to work!).  Yep, managed my first hour back on the paper.  Followed up with a really fun bass practise as a reward.

And this morning - pre-work bass practise, also fun - practised something new, and I loved it - a different way of putting scales and cycle patterns together, yep, brilliant fun.  So much so that I'm contemplating which of my music friends is going to get a geek out email about the glory of scales.

I'm also starting to plan what my new recipe for the week will be - either something with cauliflower, or something easter related..... Hmmmmmm.

And Elder - Stickers are the best!

LostOne1775 - Yes please!

great to get some solid work done on the paper!

and I am procrastinating from going to work and when I read your post I realized that the electric kettle had "popped" a LONG time ago and I had never poured the tea water and I have to leave super soon! you saved me!

• Like 2

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Ha ha - glad I reminded you to make your tea!  Sounds like my good deed for yesterday.

Challenge update - went to jujitsu yesterday - less pretzelly than tuesday, and more leg sweeps.  This morning I hit the gym, 5 k (1 min faster than wednesday, so I'm recovering from convalescence - YAY), and workout B of body weight 2 - it was fine, I'm still not happy with my incline rows, not helped by slippy floors, but I managed 3 x 10 - they just were ugly.  And I still gave myself the get out of no get ups to finish the workout - next week i'll reintroduce burpees and getups to finish me off.

So today I still have fun stuff left - lunchtime yoga (should be able to make it), and bass practise tonight.

Plus I'm planning on cooking roast cauliflower with cumin and other spices.

Feels like a good first 5 days of challenge.

Wow, suddenly it is day 9 of the challenge - the good news is - while i've not been posting, I have been doing stuff.

Finish to week 1: went to lunchtime yoga on friday (it was fabulous).  Managed another two bass practises (so managed 6 on 7 days).  Did my two paper sessions in the weekend.  And instead of exercising in the weekend (kb class cancelled) I did a lot of gardening, enough gardening that my shoulders and butt were feeling it - and yep, the garden looks great.  I also did my cooking challenge - couldn't pick which recipe to make, so made three (!), two different cauliflower with cumin recipes on friday night, one roast and the other fritters (the roast cauliflower won, but i would happily remake both recipes) and then on saturday made one day late gluten free fruit buns (another keeper).

Doing my paper writing sessions - bleugh!!!! its taken until today to regain my mojo.  They really really hurt.  Not so much brain hurt as nasty bad memories and stress and they came with a dose of emotional exhaustion.  oops.   I'm gonna have to figure out how work on the paper without having such a horrid backlash.

Start to week 2: monday was an exercise fail - woke up bleugh and decided to be gentle.  But it was a double bass pass - did good practise.

Today is already an exercise and bass pass - have practised, and have been to the gym, and the gym was great (except for wearing my shorts inside out!  very relieved that this pair doesn't have a white bit in the crotch), managed all my workout (first time since being sick), my 5 k was in 29:44 (back under 5min - YAY- first in 7.5 weeks ) and BWW was fine, and finished with burpees.

Now I need to engage my brain for the rest of the day - no more inside out shorts!

• Like 3

gardening, bass practice, and double paper sessions sounds super productive!

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

LOL at least they were inside out and not see through.

Maybe a different more posotive enviroment to work on the paper will help. A place that inspires the mojo, but won't bring back bad memories. And if anything, just focus on getting it done! Cause the sooner it's over with, the less time you'll be stressing about working on it. Just push yourself, you're stronger than you think.

• Like 1

Ha ha, I usually try to throw out shorts before they reach the see through stage......  Flashbacks to ominous ripping noises from old short during squats.....

and another gym session done - pleased to manage another good treadmill 5k (29:18), and BWB 2B - followed by get ups.  Job done for the day. 

Still to come - lunchtime yoga, more bass practise (squeezed in 20 min beethoven note learning before gym as it has all of the notes),  and yes, a paper session - definitely focusing on getting it done.

Ah, but those bad ass martial arts are brilliant fun! 

Tired thursday here, but yesterday all of the things were done - yoga at lunchtime (dynamic flow, but harder than usual, I pity the next class to use the mats!), paper work (background reading, but lots of it) and bass practise all happened.  And today I've practised before work.  Phew.

must go work.....

• Like 1

Jujitsu last night was fun - it almost always is - lots of modified rice bale throws and reverse hip throws, and i only face planted once.  Oops.

Then gym this morning (shorts on the right way, good)- was tired, and decreased my run to recognise that - so 10 min bike warm up, 20 min run, BWB L2 A circuit - again a bit modified (more squats, more pushups and longer plank than in the original), much happier with inverted rows this time (reasonable form, complete with straight legs), and decent for 3 x 10.  YAY.

But i'm daunted by what comes next - time to level up to L3 of the academy BWB, and thats going to involve attempting pull ups.  Right now that looks completely daunting (but i did have the good sense to not try them the day before beethoven 9th symphony - cause that would've been stupid).

So, monday, in my next circuit training, I am going to try L3.  Wish me luck!

• Like 2

I hope your face is ok.  :D

And you will do great at starting pull ups since you've done great with everything else!  

• Like 1

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

you can do it! good luck on monday! hope you have an amazing weekend!

• Like 1

The face plant was fine - very glad it happened when i was partnered with a reasonably gentle short partner - would hate to do that from the height some of the big men throw us from......

and still planning level 3 BWB - even though pull ups are likely to be a work in progress for months......

Am reporting in on week 2:

Food - good, resorted to my temporary tatts with "RTFL" for the weekend - as gigs are high risk, and so far it has worked - it reminded me to not buy "may contain" food.  PHEW!

Have made two new recipes - but made them both tonight, and they're still too hot to eat - one is a spinach, onion, tumeric and yoghurt mush (looks and smells fab, but still too hot to add the yoghurt), the other is a dessert risotto (full of dried fruit and tea and yum!).

Music: have played bass every day, and had a blast last night in our beethoven gig - full house, hugely focussed orchestra and choir, and went much better than in any of the rehearsals.  Very pleased, also very tired today, and thoroughly enjoyed practising some jazz today as finally don't need to learn more beethoven.

Paper writing: managed two of the three sessions as didn't have time on saturday (blame beethoven), am going to have a catch up session tomorrow night.

Exercise: good - 3 x gym (run and BW workouts), 2 x yoga, 1 x jujitsu and 1x kickboxing. So I'm well on my way up to a full exercise program.

I call that a damn good week 2 for the challenge. Looking forward to week 3!

mission pull up begun!

Found a pull up bar at the gym, figured out that by standing on the footrests and stretching a lot I could reach the bar (phew - did think that they built the equipment for 6 foot tall folk), confirmed that I indeed cannot yet do a pull up - but did do jumping up to part way up a pull up and raising and lowering a bit (there must be a technical name for that, if i can make it sound like a real exercise then I'll be happier about this) - so engaged all the relevant muscles and did reps of a sort, just not of pull ups.  I also migrated to the lat pull down machine as I'm figuring that increasing the weight on this will help with pull ups, as will inverted rows.  I also invested in a pull up bar for home - can predict that pullups are going to turn into one of those irritating "surely I can sort this" exercises.

The rest of the L3 circuit was disappointing - am going to have to tweak this as it didn't kick my butt, and it should.  I'm still beasted by burpees though, so that is fine.

• Like 2

wow, did you mean that you're doing PARTIAL PULL UPS under your own weight and own muscle? that's AWESOME.

I'm using a band - right now the thickest of this set, and I can almost kind of do a few mostly pull-ups. it's a slow improvement for me but I think that has a lot to do with my core strength.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines