Challenge #5 - Bodyweight Snatch, Better Sleep and Boss Strength

Jaymul

Keep the kitties coming :)

I've kinda decided that I'm going to keep track of the strength gains by numbers of kittens, rep maxes etc I achieve during the challenge. Hopefully it'll be a big number by the end!

fixed.

Congrats on the triple. I can't believe you front squat more in kg than I do in pounds. I better get on that. :(

A week and a half of freedom? All right for some! :D 

cavejen

lifting heavy stuff

putting it back down again

since 2012

~

Level 3 Cyborg Warrior

Current Challenge || Previous Challenges: (4), (3), 21 || Fitocracy

Congratz on the PB!

Here is yet another kitteh.

cutest-cat-gifs-kitten-meow.gif

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Thanks guys! 

8 hours sleep last night but still woke up feeling tired. It's amazingly sunny here today so I spent some time outside in the garden watching our cats chase bees and then went out to pick up a few things. Including some gluten free beers - too hard to resist with the weather this glorious!

metric-system.jpg

That's terrible rod-age.

1 Hogshead = 54 US gals (if we use the unit as its defined for ale)

1 rod = 5.5 yds.

I'm having such a productive Friday...

• Like 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

7.5 hours sleep last night, largely due to getting quite engrossed in the book I'm reading at the moment. 

Well, after today Snatch feels like it is getting back on track. Got 80kg for the first time in ages and very nearly made 85kg - started standing up with it but it was a little bit forwards. I then did 75kg off blocks really easily and narrowly missed 80kg off blocks. Block work seems to be hugely helpful for me as it makes me get under the bar way faster, allowing me to be a lot more solid at the bottom of the rep.

Quite a few small PBs today - 75kg block snatch, 60kg press for 4 reps (previous best was 2) and planks with a 25kg plate on my back for the first time.

Haha! But.... That's what Sundays are for, right...? ;)

It's what this one has been about! Thankfully a very kind friend baked me some gluten free bread yesterday so I was able to enjoy delicious bacon and egg sandwiches for breakfast :)

Diet has been pretty sloppy the tail end of this week but I'll double down on it next week.

Oh and here's a squat video for the current Warrior challenge with 160kg. I'm not totally happy with how well I'm holding my upper back but it actually looks reasonably fast - certainly looks easier than it felt at the time.

• Like 1

80kg snatch from training yesterday in slo-mo high FPS. Deliberately recorded this way so we could try to pick up on various issues.

So on this attempt and the previous couple, coach noticed the instability on my catch - you can see that I'm only just hitting parallel and that I wobble and rock forward, which often causes me to miss the weight forwards despite catching it with the bar in the right place overhead.That small movement forward is what leads to me needing to step forward to hold on to the bar as I stand up.

He figured that I need to improve my speed under to get into a rock solid bottom position quickly and have a much more stable base for the catch. This is the reason for the block work yesterday and why it will be a feature of my next program. After 15 or so reps at lighter weights off the blocks, I was noticeably quicker under and way more solid in the catch. 

• Like 1

9 hours sleep last night. I never got the nap in yesterday afternoon (ended up playing video games instead!) and went to bed about 11, read for a while and then got up a bit before 9am today. No work this week :)

Let's have a Week 1 Update!

Goal 1 - Achieve a Bodyweight Snatch

I hit 80kg again for the first time in a while and had a pretty close attempt at 85kg where I was able to start standing up. Hopefully the segment and block variations I am doing will give me a more stable catch position. Current bodyweight is in the high 88s though my diet has been sloppy the last few days. I don't think I'll be as light as 87.5kg come the end of the challenge so 90kg may be the target weight here...

Goal 2 - Keep a Sleep Log for the Six Weeks

I've done this and the pattern has been interesting. Monday - 7.5, Tuesday 6.5, Wednesday - 8, Thursday - 8, Friday 7.5, Saturday - 5, Sunday - 9. Okay so 5 nights with 7.5 hours or more is actually really quite good and the minimum standard I'd like to achieve for the rest of the challenge. Average hours of sleep per day were 7 hrs 21 m. The Saturday is a bit of an aberration due to being out boozing so I'm not going to worry about it. The Tuesday is more of a concern as I often get to bed late after the gym on a Tuesday night. Having something ready for dinner as soon as I come in that only needs to be heated up would probably save me about 30 mins.

Goal 3 - Get Stronger in Everything

7 small personal bests last week mostly in the form of new 3RM, 5RM, 10RM etcs. I was also happy with a 75kg snatch off blocks and suspect I could overtake my actual snatch in this pretty quickly...

A pretty good start to the challenge I think. Let's see what this week brings.

So dumb question from someone who doesn't do Oly lifts.  Aren't you feet always supposed to stay planted on the ground?  Or is that some idea that got stuck in my head falsely.  I just noticed that in your video you were fully exploding off the ground.

Daily Log ]

So dumb question from someone who doesn't do Oly lifts.  Aren't you feet always supposed to stay planted on the ground?  Or is that some idea that got stuck in my head falsely.  I just noticed that in your video you were fully exploding off the ground.

Here's an interesting article on the subject.

Keeping your feet planted on the ground is a cue often used for someone who is "donkey kicking", or jumping their feet up prematurely just so they can stomp them back to the platform with a satisfying thud - that is super inefficient.  Assuming you are getting full extension though, getting some air on the turnover is normal (and actually required for most lifters, since for most people their pulling stance will be narrower than their squat stance), and how much is just a personal thing.  My toes barely leave the platform, and J is actually trying to get me to pick my feet up a little more to give me room to reposition under the bar during the turnover - apparently people that lift like I do miss behind more often.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines