Catspaw Shoves Less Down Her Steak Hole

catspaw

Alright, I'm headed out this morning to Austin to hang with some rebels, so my thread may be a little quiet for a few days.  But I'll be back Monday evening and then it's back to business-as-usual, kids!  (For some definition of "usual"...)

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Tinyrant:

If you don't have the basics down, stop trying to optimize that final 1%.

If you're eating 20% too much for your goals, don't ask whether or not you should be fasting for 12 hrs or 14 hrs.  If you can't squat to parallel, don't worry whether or not you should be using creatine on squat days.  And if you can't stick to a workout plan for more than three days without switching to a new one, stop asking about how many reps you should use on your triceps.

It's tempting to think about that 1% because those optimizations tend to be easier and shinier, but consistency and the big knobs are what count here.

Eat a diet that supports your goals, consistently.

Find a workout plan that includes progression and stick to it, consistently.

Then start looking into the 10% improvements.

Almost no one will need to think about that final 1%.

• Like 6

(I know that I'm not perfect in this respect, btw.  This is a "do as I say not as I do".  I just spent too long reading some folks' challenges this morning and groaning.

Paraphrases (to anonymize) from some challenges:

"Today I ate probably ~1000 calories too much because of the extra 1/2 pizza when I got home. But on the plus side of things, I made my 130g protein goal today, unlike the last few days when I only got 125g. Yay!"

"I'm going to start trying out adding MCT oil before my workouts since I'm only sleeping 3-4 hours per night and maybe that will give me more energy."

"How many scoops of protein do I need on tricep/back day?"

)

• Like 1

Knowing what the goal is doesn't mean you've made it there, just that you know the destination. This is a good and just rant.

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Tinyrant:

If you're eating 20% too much for your goals, don't ask whether or not you should be fasting for 12 hrs or 14 hrs.  If you can't squat to parallel, don't worry whether or not you should be using creatine on squat days.  And if you can't stick to a workout plan for more than three days without switching to a new one, stop asking about how many reps you should use on your triceps.

It's tempting to think about that 1% because those optimizations tend to be easier and shinier, but consistency and the big knobs are what count here.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

I was actually thinking about a lot of hacks (should I try IF? Should I play around with macros?) a few weeks ago to combat the body fat beast. Then I realized, "Uh, actually my diet has been fairly mediocre, I rarely sleep enough and I haven't had a workout plan in a year. Maybe deal with that first?" It was SUCH a needed wakeup call but it is definitely frustrating to see people thinking "tweaks" will somehow make up for massive deficits in their basic approach to health.

• Like 1

"In DonaldKnuth's paper "StructuredProgrammingWithGoToStatements", he wrote: "Programmers waste enormous amounts of time thinking about, or worrying about, the speed of noncritical parts of their programs, and these attempts at efficiency actually have a strong negative impact when debugging and maintenance are considered. We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil. Yet we should not pass up our opportunities in that critical 3%.""

Which is another way of saying what Catspaw said.  Fix the big things first, then the little ones.

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

This is something I definitely do from time to time. Thank you for putting it so articulately. Gotta see things big picture!!

• Like 1

.redline  |  Level 2 Warrior

STR 8  |  DEX 3  |  STA 3  |  CON 3  |  WIS 5  |  CHA 1

First Challenge  |  July 29

Second Challenge  |  February 24

Third Challenge  |   April 14

Tinyrant:

Great post - and this is ME - I get on plan with food for a month or two, then fall off... it's the sticking with it that's hard. Hoping to solve that bit... while also learning self-compassion (which might make it easier to get back on plan and not try to keep changing plans or focusing on the 1% tricks)

• Like 1

Rebel - Hunter - Trader - Renewing the body and mind to be as capable as possible - lean & strength

Met a whole bunch of rebels yesterday for a 9 mile ruck along the greenbelt.  I had one of bigm's 20lb sandbags in my ruck along with a ~10+lb rock from the side of the road.  There was lots of walking and talking and giggling as we got horribly lost a few times.  (How many nerds does it take to navigate a relatively well-marked trail?  Apparently more than the nine of us.)

Dinner was all-you-can eat bbq and I most definitely did not shove less down my steak hole.  One-off.

Extra fun over dinner was while we were all eating, we were all getting photos and texts from the Boston nerds who were also meeting at the same time.  It was like a giant cross-country nerdfest.  More nerdster today!

• Like 1

More nerd visits yesterday!  A bunch of us met at chammy's house for nerdster.  There was pork shoulder and ham and lamb, of which we ate the whole thing, because duh.  (My blogreader was like "how to use leftover lamb and ham?" and I was like "who has leftover lamb and ham?!")

We also watched (and sang along to) Dr Horrible, and played a good wholesome game of...

IMG_20140420_164532.jpg

For bonus awesome, we video-chatted into the Boston nerdster and I had some fun with meta-photos, taking pics of the hangouts screen and texting them to nerds.  So then of course they took photos of me taking photos of the screen.  So of course I took...well, it got a little recursive.  Nerd photos, all the way down.

somepic.jpg - somepic.jpg

IMG_20140420_191237.jpg

Thanks so much to all of the lovely Austin (and Boston!) nerds for helping to turn my "AHHHH" life-stress into "ahhh" life-satisfaction.

It's really easy for me to forget sometimes, when I'm neck-deep in the world of work, what's important out there.  Nerds make it easy to remember.  So thank you.

10155984_10152001310750877_1764024786493

• Like 3

That really is the important part.

And be patient. Changes take a long time.

What got me where I am now has very little to do with the 1% things (which I actually do very little of) and a lot more to do with that fact that I've stuck to the quoted sentences now for 2.5 years with pretty much no "cheating" in my diet and no workout skipping that isn't injury related (even then I usually find something to do).

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Total awesome rant!

I can't fix my diet until I'm ready to fix my eating! Until I'm ready too fix the things whole 30 told me mess me up, no diet is going to work!

I can run a marathon while I'm in a boot. ..I have to start walking. . Without The boot. .. and do so every day. .. and figure out how to walk. .. then the strength may let me jog. .. but if I can't walk, or don't, no amount of tweaking will get me through a marathon.

Another way to look at it. ..

I have to lose 100 pounds before I've lost the 110 th pound! That last 10 pounds may not even need to be lost, once I get there, but I have to get there. ..one pound at a time. .. one meal choice at a time, one mental road block at a time. And for me. .. that had been bigger than the food and exercise. You can't put a roof on until the house is built.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Tue, Apr 22nd - Workout Log

Agile 8 Warmup

I have graduated on the foam rolling from foam roller to fat PVC pipe.  Woo!

Banded OLY wall squats

3 minutes

Squats

45 x 5

65 x 5

85 x 5

105 x 5

125 x 3

135 x 1

165 x 3

135 x 5

135 x 5

135 x 5

135 x 5

135 x 5

Pause squats (5 count)

85 x 5

85 x 5

85 x 5

Bench

45 x 5

65 x 5

85 x 3

105 x 1

115 x 3 x 3

85 x 10

Shoulder shocker

22.5#, 7.5# x 10 x 2

Only did two sets of these cuz shoulder was saying "ow".

I have 3 hrs of meetings today (6 half hour meetings) scheduled as walking meetings, so a good amount of time walking around in the sun planned too.  Tuesdays are going to start being my biweekly report checkin meetings (half one week, half the next) all scheduled as walking meetings, which I'm happy about.

Also, even though I'm not calorie counting, I'm gonna start reporting my food intake here to stay quasi-accountable to myself.  There's a bunch of weird one-offs ahead (today I'm going with my team to a vegetarian indian restaurant, on Thursday I have to take some folks to a restaurant for dinner, etc.) and I'll do better if I keep in mind that I have to write this shit down and can't just "oh fuck it" away.

• Like 2

IMG_20140420_191237.jpg

I seriously think this was my favorite picture of the bunch we took.  I <3 the Nerds, was really glad to e-meet so many people the other day!

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Wed, Apr 23rd - Workout Log

Came in with sooooore quads and glutes, and left with even more of the same. :tongue:

Agile 8 Warmup

Deads

135 x 5

155 x 5

175 x 5

200 x 1

215 x 5 x 3

175 x 5

155 x 5

Quite happy with the 215x5x3.  215x5 is my best reps at 215, but previously form had been a bit sloppier than today, where form was great for all 3 sets (and only ~90 secs of break btw them).  Even had someone come by to mention that they looked great -- woo.

Hammer curls

20 x 10 x 2

2 sets of:

- 400m run

- 15 x 4-count flutter kicks

- 20 x walking lunges

- 400m run

- 20 x squats

- 10 x pushups

- 60 secs FLR

My legs are now like "okay, time to fall off and die."

Also, apparently it's Take Your Kids To Work Day here.

I can tell from seeing quite a few kids in my day.  And because of the pixels.

Update:

People keep coming by my desk to show me their children.  Apparently all of my peers had kids during the 2 years I was gone, because there are an awful lot of toddlers coming by.

Things I have learned in the last hour that toddlers can do:

* Give high-fives on demand

* Tell me what noise an animal can make

* Hand me things when I ask for them

* Cry when their parents say "maybe I'll leave you here with [Catspaw], what do you think?"  To be fair, I also started to cry at that.

• Like 5

Stress levels at work are back down to a manageable level.

Managing my small team (a dozen folks):

I've met with all the folks who are reporting to me and explained to them the honest situation: I do not know very much about them or their project, I intend to learn a lot about it in the next few months and I intend to help make them into an awesome team but it will take a little while for me to ramp up on both.  This has taken a lot of stress of being awesome immediately off of my shoulders.  First secret to managing people: use your words.  (Incidentally, it's the secret to relationships too.  USE YOUR WORDS, PEOPLE!)

The most senior amongst them wants to apply for a promotion in 6 months (to my level) so I need to find him a project of suitable size/impact, but otherwise I think mostly these guys just need someone who's able to take care of them, and that I can do as a background process.

Managing the system I'm in charge of

This is a bigger thing, and separate from the folks/team I'm managing.  I've arranged biweekly meetings to chat with all of our client teams and get a better handle on everything that's going on.  It's a mess.  It's such a mess that any progress I make is huge progress.  But it still fills me with ":/" that I can't magically make it not a mess faster.

I need to get over the fact that it's going to continue to be a mess for probably the rest of 2014, and accept the small steps and improvements without stressing over every little thing I can't change right away.  Insert the serenity prayer here.

Managing the emergency thing THAT STILL ISN'T OVER

I'm having "2 more weeks" quoted to me now, which has been what they're saying for weeks now.  I don't want to push too hard because we're almost there.  But if another 2 weeks pass without us finishing this up, it's going to start looking Really Bad for me.

Still being an engineer

I wanna keep coding and stuff, not just wearing a pointy-haired hat all day.  Trying to get better at blocking off times to actually code and be productive.  I'm considering working from the SF office one day per week to just do my own stuff where no one can find me.  Maybe Thursdays?  I will consider this.

Food, workouts, etc

Haven't been doing as well with my "shove less down my steakhole" as I'd planned, but at least workouts aren't suffering yet.  Logging food (what, not calories) starting today.

Feels like there's a lot on my plate right now.  One week until my second (and final for many months) on-call shift begins.  Breathing in, breathing out.  Long walks, and realistic expectations for myself.

It's a mess.  It's such a mess that any progress I make is huge progress.  But it still fills me with ":/" that I can't magically make it not a mess faster.

Oh man I can appreciate this - I have so much of this at work.  But every time I try to improve something, I'm always met with reasons we can't do stuff (and it always comes from a place of "because this is what we've always done").  Drives me insane.

Oh man I can appreciate this - I have so much of this at work.  But every time I try to improve something, I'm always met with reasons we can't do stuff (and it always comes from a place of "because this is what we've always done").  Drives me insane.

The reason why the first thing can't be fixed, is just something else that needs to be fixed.  Though a lot of times, that is an attitude or a habit that needs changing, rather than a technical "thing".

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines