Uncle Card wants you... to join the 800 club!!

Uncle Sam 2

Er... what is the 800 club??

Joining the 800 club means working on your big three power lifts:  bench press, squat, and deadlift.  Simply add up your max for each of them.  If the total (in pounds) is at least 800, then we teach you the secret handshake.  For a NF member of reasonable size with a reasonable amount of experience and reasonable genetics, it is a reasonably hard challenge.

(Spoiler Alert:  Tyrsnbdr posted the secret handshake in a video below.  But you should still consider joining us.)

OK, but how do I know if this is the right challenge for me?
Before joining, you should have a big three total somewhere between 650 - 799.  The challenge will span multiple 6-week periods, so you don't need to activate gorilla mode and add 100 lbs to your bench press next week.  (But if you do, we'll be REALLY impressed)

My lifts put me right at 650.  There's no way that I can win.

Someone much smarter than me once asked, "What do you call the person who graduates from med school with the lowest GPA?".  The answer, of course, is "Doctor".   You win this challenge by hitting 800.  It doesn't matter if you are first, second, or last.  As long as you get there, we consider it a success.

That's nice, but you still haven't told me why I should do it.
Let me put it this way:  Uncle Sam (pictured above) has a cousin named "Uncle Kamb".  He did the challenge, and now he looks like this:

Uncle Sam 1

Any other questions?  Let us know.  We hope you'll join us in this pvp challenge.  Cheers!

--Card

- Level 3 Night Elf Warrior -

6'0" / 166 lbs.  Powerlifting Total:  940

Member:  The 800 Club

Battle Log

I'm in.  I've yet to to see what I max out on, since I lift alone, but my current weights for StrongLifts 5x5 are the following:

Bench Press 5x5: 205lbs

Squat 5x5: 275lbs

Deadlift 1x5: 225lbs

That's 705 on 5x5.

My deadlift is proportionately weak because I have small, sweaty hands. I can't wait to see where I'm on Deadlift once my chalk arrives.

• Like 2

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs

This PvP challange is right up my ally, except I"m already in the club.  I'll continue cutting while you guys get stronger.  In 3 months we can chase 1000, 1100, or 1200+.  :positive:

I will be watching as you gain on me!  :playful:

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

This PvP challange is right up my ally, except I"m already in the club.  I'll continue cutting while you guys get stronger.  In 3 months we can chase 1000, 1100, or 1200+.  :positive:

I will be watching as you gain on me!  :playful:

Lol Tyrsnbdr, we've already volunteered you to teach everyone the secret handshake!  :)

I'm in.  I've yet to to see what I max out on, since I lift alone, but my current weights for StrongLifts 5x5 are the following:

Bench Press 5x5: 205lbs

Squat 5x5: 275lbs

Deadlift 1x5: 225lbs

That's 705 on 5x5.

My deadlift is proportionately weak because I have small, sweaty hands. I can't wait to see where I'm on Deadlift once my chalk arrives.

I would agree with Super D. that you've probably already got it.  But if not, please feel free to join us.  Once I got over 315 on deadlift, I had to switch to a hook grip.  It made an enormous difference.  Chalk will probably help a lot too.

Endor, I haven't heard anyone else respond, so i say come on. This is all about getting stronger.

Definitely.  We'd love to have you in the challenge, Endor.  There's always room for one more!

• Like 1

Battle Log

Lol Tyrsnbdr, we've already volunteered you to teach everyone the secret handshake!   :)

You mean this handshake?

You better get practicing if you want to know it!!

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

I wasn't sure how to extrapolate from my 5x5 weights, so I'll grab a spotter and go for maxes tomorrow.  OnTrac doesn't want to leave my chalk at my door if I'm not there (and they always come when I'm at work), so I'll try out the hook grip.

• Like 1

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs

I wasn't sure how to extrapolate from my 5x5 weights, so I'll grab a spotter and go for maxes tomorrow.  OnTrac doesn't want to leave my chalk at my door if I'm not there (and they always come when I'm at work), so I'll try out the hook grip.

I've been using the 1 RM calculator located on this site to extrapolate from 5x5.  It's relatively accurate, but not perfect.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Also,  1 rm calculators are good for 2 and 3 reps,  they get worse a 4 and bad at 5 plus.  Hook grip is great for Deads, I only use it.  I hate not getting a quality workout because of grip, so I used grip straps (like $10) until my grip got better. 

• Like 1

Wheymen

...it was all I could do hold on to it...

Are you using alternating grip?  I can barely hold 225 with a double over hand hooked grip but mixed grip. I have no problems. 

If you still are failing, trying using grip straps.  Nothing worse than dropping a weight your body can lift but you can't hold on too. 

Wheymen