Missmouse - snatchin', snackin', and snarkin'

Missmouse

My second challenge and first as a Warrior! My last challenge started strong, petered out a little bit in the middle, and ended OK. So although that challenge was pretty simple, I figured I'd simplify this one even further. Straight to it:

1. Snatchin' - I've recently fallen in love with Olympic lifts. <swoon...>. Imma stick to my SL 3x5, but will add about 20-30 minutes of Olympic lift practice to the end of every workout.

2. Snackin' - I upped my calories and carbs for the last challenge, and felt and performed great. I sat the last challenge out, and my old fear of overeating crept back up on me, causing me to cut my calories back down below maintenance. As a result, my gains have suffered. (I've basically stalled on all my lifts, except dead lifts, for the past month or so). Time to increase the calories! I'll start with about 200 above maintenance, and will reevaluate after a couple of weeks.

3. Snarkin' - I post regularly on another forum (totally different topic), and I have to admit I'm pretty snarky. This particular forum regularly attracts people who tend to jump into things with both feet, and as a result, make extraordinarily horrible decisions. So, part of me feels justified in being kind of an asshole. But the other part knows that I have a lot of experience and insight, and should really be using my knowledge for good instead of evil. So I'll be holding my tongue quite a bit, trying to put myself into their shoes, and contributing like a level-headed, responsible member of the community. Ugh. This one is going to be tough...

Glad to be part of the Warriors!

Snarky - Ha! Feel free to vent your snark at me if you are tweaked at someone else. I make dumb decisions all the time and wear the lessons as a badge of honor. No regrets!

Subbing to learn more about olympic lifting though:)

Race: Kender Class: Warrior

Level:7

STR:25 | DEX:5 | STA:9 | CON:13 | WIS:17 | CHA:14

Sub'd... mainly for the snarkin'

I've done my share. And I agree on the whole "jumping in with both feet and making bad decisions" that goes on. But yeah... its better to listen, be supportive, and guide rather than rant at someone for doing something foolish and hope they'll eventually come around.

I've also had (more than) my share of stupid impulsive decisions too.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Getting my working weights down now, since I'm officially starting the challenge tomorrow! I'm interested to see if the additional Oly practice affects my progress. Although, I'm hoping everything will keep improving once I start stuffing my face properly.

(All these are 3x5, in lbs.)

Dead lift - 135

Squat - 95

OHP - 50

Bench - 80

Rows - 80

Overhead squat - 45

Right now I'm doing warmup drills and snatches with a piece of PVC. I'm considering working my way up in weight with the preloaded bars, since I don't think it will take me very long to get to 45lbs. Would this be totally terrible? (Lack of spin and all...). Any folks with Oly experience have an opinion?

Thanks all!

PVC is fine for drills but use a proper bar if you possibly can. Preloaded ones aren't the right size, don't have the same markings and as you correctly say, don't spin. This is one of the best opportunities you have to develop good habits for the Olympic lifts so it make sense to start out doing it right.

Thanks Jaymul. I figured it would be a good idea to go straight to the bar. I don't want to ingrain any bad habits!

Notes from today's workout:

1. After reading about the volume some of y'all are doing, I started questioning my typical warmup. Squats, for example - I usually do about 5 reps with the bar, another 5 @65lbs, and then straight into my working sets. So today, I did more of a pyramid set, taking longer to work up to my working weight.

45x10

65x5

85x5

95x3

85x5

65x5

45x10

2. Box squats - where have you been all my life? After reading the discussion going on over at Bear Force One's challenge, I decided to lower down to a 10" box. The difference was incredible. Not only did I feel my glutes and hams taking up more of the weight (giving my quads a break), it really helped me keep my back in the correct position, as I could tell if my back was rounding depending on which portion of my ass hit the box first. I'm going to stick with these for a while.

3. Snatch practice - the second pull is my weak spot. I keep wanting to swing the bar away from my body and then jump under it. No bueno. So I'm using the PVC to do my warmup and jumping drills, then moving to the bar to isolate the second pull. Sweaty AND fun!

Kudos on starting the snatchin'.

A few months ago I started trying to learn to do a power clean (a la starting strength). I had the opposite problem on the second pull, where I would keep it close to my body and the bar would bounce off my belly and completely F*** up the movement. lol.

Good luck on your challenge.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Ha! Darwins - I think part of the reason I swing the bar away is that if I keep it close, it ends up smacking into my bewbs. Youch! So swinging the bar is my way of unconsciously solving the problem. The trick now is to keep it close, but not too close. :-)

Ha ha ha!

I think I remember from reading SS about PCs, is that you're supposed to pull the bar as straight up as possible, move yourself back out of the way, then get under it when its high enough. I think what I wound up doing was arching back, but instead of moving I just stuck my gut out and -- BAM!

I'm betting its at least similar with the snatch, but while I'd like to do some Oly lifting at some point, I know very little.

Hopefully Jay will chime in here.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Principle of the pull on the snatch and clean is basically the same. The grip for the snatch is wider and as a result the setup is a little different but yeah, you're trying to achieve the same thing.

Jdanger actually answered the boob question a while back in another thread for someone else, I would assume the same applies for bellies and erm, any other protruding body parts!

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40362-stupid-chestsnatch-and-clean-and-jerks-advice/?p=784804

2. Box squats - where have you been all my life? After reading the discussion going on over at Bear Force One's challenge, I decided to lower down to a 10" box. The difference was incredible. Not only did I feel my glutes and hams taking up more of the weight (giving my quads a break), it really helped me keep my back in the correct position, as I could tell if my back was rounding depending on which portion of my ass hit the box first. I'm going to stick with these for a while.

I feel you on this. I still don't understand how the presence of a short box can have such a large impact on form, but it totally does! I wish I had known about it from the beginning, but now I can undo all of my bad habits. I'm excited to see how it helps your progress :) 

"I am the hero of this story. I don't need to be saved."

Level 2 Half Wood Elf | Current Challenge  #1 l  Progress Album

STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 1 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

I feel you on this. I still don't understand how the presence of a short box can have such a large impact on form, but it totally does! I wish I had known about it from the beginning, but now I can undo all of my bad habits. I'm excited to see how it helps your progress :)

Too early to report back on squat progress, but I can report back on a SUPER SORE ASS.  Holy crow - who knew doing squats correctly could make your glutes feel like they are being dipped in the smouldering fires of hades itself?

Also of note: Eating 2200 calories isn't as easy as it sounds.

On the snark front - I've been very, very good.  Mostly by sitting on my hands and not typing anything.  :angel:

Popping in to say hi and welcome!

Can you video any of your snatches? I'd love to see what's going on and give my two cents.

As a female competitive weightlifter, I know the bewbs issues well. Luckily it doesn't happen very often anymore, but in the beginning it did. If you are fully extending at the top of the pull, your bewbs should be out of the way. I know I'm not fully extending when I hit the ladies, so I know how to correct it. In the beginning though? Bruises. Bruises all over the ladies.

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Too early to report back on squat progress, but I can report back on a SUPER SORE ASS.  Holy crow - who knew doing squats correctly could make your glutes feel like they are being dipped in the smouldering fires of hades itself?

Also of note: Eating 2200 calories isn't as easy as it sounds.

On the snark front - I've been very, very good.  Mostly by sitting on my hands and not typing anything.  :angel:

So much this on the sore butt. Also, my inner thighs are super sore after doing some high volume box squatting. I'm thinking that now that I'm doing this properly, those muscles need to "catch up". 

Side note: coconut oil is great for adding excessive amounts of calories. Especially in coffee. :)

"I am the hero of this story. I don't need to be saved."

Level 2 Half Wood Elf | Current Challenge  #1 l  Progress Album

STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 1 | WIS 3 | CHA 3

Awesome night at the gym! I typically go during my lunch hour, but was off work today taking care of house stuff, so I went around 6pm. Totally different group of people, including one amazingly strong lady who was squatting 205 and and benching 155 like it was nothing. It was inspiring. She also started doing snatch drills right after me, so we were able to give each other feedback, and she gave me quite a few pointers on the second pull.

Stuck with the 10" box for back squats and overhead squats. I'm still amazed by the difference this has made. (Super strong lady even complimented my form!)

• Like 2

So tired today due to inexplicable midnight fireworks. Maybe it had something to do with Good Friday? Who knows, the folks in my neighborhood love fireworks for any reason. :-)

Box squats - 65x5, 85x5x5, 45x5

Overhead squats - 45x5x5

Power cleans - 45x5x10

Power snatches - 45x5x5

Quick workout on my lunch hour!

Box squats- 45x10, 65x5, 85x5, 95x5x3

Overhead squats - 45x5x5

Overhead press - 50x5x3

Power cleans - 45x5x10

I'm really liking power cleans, and think I'm going to stick with them for a while to work on my 2nd pull form before returning to snatches. Something about pulling straight up the body and then rolling back on the hands seems natural, whereas pulling straight up the body and over the head still makes me want to swing that mofo away and then scooch under it.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines