britne's newbie quest!

britne

Woooo! First challenge here I come!!

Current Stats

Height: 5’5â€

Weight: 176

Main Quest

Improve strength and build more muscle.

I’ve been pretty successful with weight loss (for about 6 months now), and gym attendance (for about 3 months now), but I’d like to start working more on muscle definition and losing some jiggle!  

3 Smaller Quests

1. Increase either the amount of weight, number of reps, or number of sets in my strength training routine each week

Scoring: pass/fail weekly if increased - A = 6 wks / B = 4-5 wks / C = 3 wks / D = 1-2 wks / F = 0 wks

Tracking: I’ve been using weighttraining.com to keep a log for the past few days. While I’ve been strength training for a few weeks, I wasn’t tracking specific exercises or the weights I was using, so this will keep me accountable.

2. Cook at least 2 Paleo meals per week

Scoring: 1 point per meal per week - A = 12+ / B = 8-11 / C = 4-7 / D = 1-3 / F = 0

Tracking: I already log my meals for Weight Watchers, I will just add a note to each meal that is Paleo that I can review later.

3. Try a new exercise activity (A new fitness class? Martial arts? Who knows!)

Scoring: pass/fail - A = yes, I tried something new / F = no, I did not try anything new

Tracking: Will post in this thread with what I did!

This part was actually very difficult! I didn’t want “stay on track†type goals, because I plan to do that anyway. I want my goals to challenge me to do newer and better things.

Life Quest

Get my finances in order! I know that seems big and lofty, but I plan to break that into smaller goals (i.e. stick to a budget, fix errors on my credit report, make a plan to pay down debts). Any progress I make at this point is helpful… it’s been years ago, but I went through a messy divorce with my ex racking up a lot in my name, I’ve moved several times and I’m not sure I’m getting bills and statements for certain things, and it’s been this big, daunting mess that I keep saying “I’ll take care of it later†- but not anymore! I WILL make some progress on this.

Motivation

To challenge myself every day to be the best version of myself that I can be. (Plus, I want to look cute in summer clothes, and I will be a facilitator at a conference for work in September, and this year I want to look DAMN good in front of 500+ people!  :D)

• Like 4

Level 1 Wood Elf Adventurer

STR 0.5 | DEX 0.5 | STA 2 | CON 0.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5

Current Challenge: britne's newbie quest!

About me | Find me: RunKeeper | WeightTraining | DGCourseReview | GeocachingSteam | tumblr | Clash of Clans: Melisende

"We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one." - The Eleventh Doctor

Goal: Lose 68 pounds (from 218.6 to 150) - Currently: 170.2 - Progress:

71.2%
71.2%

Best of luck in your goals and I'd say you'll have no problem in your motivations, your probably there already just need to get to where you see it yourself. 

• Like 1

Race: Undead Gnoll | Class: Ranger

[Level: 3 | STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 4 | CON 4 | WIS 5 | CHA 4 ]

Intro: And Breath.. Challenges: #1,#2,#3(FAIL),#4

You don't drown by falling in the water, you drown by staying there.

-Edwin Louis Cole

Hey best of luck in your challenge. If you're goal is to be the best you that you can be, you're already there!

• Like 1

•      Awful                                                          Not so good                                                                          Getting better                                                        Super Stud                                       He-Man                                  Artie Strongest                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              man.... In The World
  • 61%
    61%
  • Valerius the level 2 Human

STR 3|DEX 3|CON 2|STA 3|WIS 2|CHA 2

Current challenge

•  
  • " If you think you can do a thing or you can't do a thing, you're right."
  • - Henry Ford

3. Try a new exercise activity (A new fitness class? Martial arts? Who knows!)

Might I suggest sledgehammer training as something new?

20140126_195754_zps2c9778d8.jpg

(If you have questions about sledgehammering, feel free to post on my thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/46730-teros-8-a-monster-consistencyintensity/)

Seems like you have everything in order.  Good luck on the finances front. That's one of those messes that just seem endless but if you stick with it, you can do it.  Welcome and have fun :)

• Like 2

Might I suggest sledgehammer training as something new?

20140126_195754_zps2c9778d8.jpg

(If you have questions about sledgehammering, feel free to post on my thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/46730-teros-8-a-monster-consistencyintensity/)

Seems like you have everything in order.  Good luck on the finances front. That's one of those messes that just seem endless but if you stick with it, you can do it.  Welcome and have fun :)

That looks fun - really fun.

This part was actually very difficult! I didn’t want “stay on track†type goals, because I plan to do that anyway. I want my goals to challenge me to do newer and better things.

I agree with you here. I wanted goals that would push me and not just put in "effort". If I put a goal of "go to the gym 3x/week" I would go just to go and not really push myself. My goal of increasing my lifts though is something I have to push myself to complete.

You have great goals and I especially love your goal of trying something new. Best of luck with this challenge. I'll be watching! (In a totally non-creepy way :P)

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Looking forward to rocking this challenge!

• Like 1

About me | Find me: RunKeeper | WeightTraining | DGCourseReview | GeocachingSteam | tumblr | Clash of Clans: Melisende

71.2%
71.2%

Off to a good start! I Just got back from the gym and I did an extra set (of 10) for all of the weight exercises I do in my arms/back circuit. (And the proof!) I'm planning on upping the abs/legs tomorrow... haven't decided if I want to do an extra set, or add reps to my current sets. Probably whatever strikes me at the time, which is how I usually operate.  ;)

As for quest #2... going grocery shopping tonight and stocking up on some ingredients for more paleo-friendly meals! I want to try the spaghetti squash and paleo tacos this week. 

I'm still thinking about quest #3... sledgehammering looks interesting (thanks Teros!), there's a boxing instructor that comes and does individual sessions at our gym at work so that might be worth trying, and I have a coworker who is a spinning instructor at a local gym so I could try one of her classes too. Still pondering this one!

• Like 1

71.2%
71.2%

Whew! Yesterday I added more reps and sets to my abs/legs workout, and I'm sore all over! Just did some sweaty cardio today to give myself a bit of a rest... planning on doing the "upped" arms/back tomorrow and abs/legs again on Friday. 

Couldn't find a spaghetti squash... my foodie coworker said they're likely out of season in this area and suggested zucchini noodles instead. But last night I made paleo tacos! Made my own salsa in my Ninja and used lean ground turkey and lettuce leaves for shells. I doubt I'll ever be able to go "full" paleo because I like dairy too much (I missed having cheese and sour cream on my tacos!) but I challenged myself to do something, and I'm going to stick with it. Tonight, the plan is grilled chicken, baked sweet potatoes, and brussels sprouts for my paleo meal #2!

Still pumped! Woo!

• Like 2

71.2%
71.2%

Well cheese and sour cream could always be your 20%.

Any time I read up about paleo they talk about the 80-20 rule where 80% of your diet is paleo and the other 20 whatever you really miss. The only thing I'm not quite sure how you work it out maybe calories, or every 10 meals 2 can be non paleo.

Anyways keep it going your doing awesome :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

-Edwin Louis Cole

Oh not to worry... the rest of my day isn't so paleo-friendly so I'm past the 80/20 mark! I love greek yogurt and have it for breakfast and lunch. But the baked sweet potatoes turned out great, that's a switch I think I could make. I mainly wanted to try paleo 2 nights a week to get some new, healthier recipes in my rotation.

71.2%
71.2%

I'm much the same actually I'm not too worried about my carb intake for instance what I'm really after is a better variety of veg intake and paleo is pretty good for that.

-Edwin Louis Cole

Update time! The end of last week got pretty crazy at work, so I didn't update as much. Long story. Back on track now!

Did my arms/back workout Thursday and stayed with the extra set. Friday I only had time for a quick workout because of an afternoon meeting, but I still added reps to the legs part, so I count that a win. This week I might lower the reps or sets back down and try adding more weight instead, but I'm not sure. My goal was to increase "either" weight, reps, or sets! I'll see what my mood is at the time.  :)

Goal 1/Week 1: Pass

Made a third paleo meal for the week! Friday night was porkchops, baked sweet potatoes, and green beans.

Goal 2/Week 1: +3

Haven't picked a new activity yet... but I have 5 more weeks to decide. Now that the weather is getting so nice, I might be trying C25K in the evenings. We'll see.  :D

Goal 3/Week 1: No progress

As for my life quest, I did my taxes. That's enough financial stuff for me for a week at least.  :lol:

• Like 3

71.2%
71.2%

I'm starting to think I'm not so great at this weight lifting thing. Stayed at the same weight, went up to 15 reps from 10, but could only manage 2 sets instead of 3. And now I'm sore. :(
Hopefully yoga tonight will stretch me out a bit. And a hot bath. I was so pumped to do more and just couldn't do it today. :(

71.2%
71.2%

I'm starting to think I'm not so great at this weight lifting thing. Stayed at the same weight, went up to 15 reps from 10, but could only manage 2 sets instead of 3. And now I'm sore. :(

Hopefully yoga tonight will stretch me out a bit. And a hot bath. I was so pumped to do more and just couldn't do it today. :(

Don't forget that 2 sets of 15 is basically the same amount of reps but faster which means its harder. There's a lot of ways to improve workouts so your still improving. 

-Edwin Louis Cole

I didn't think about it like that, thanks! I know my arms are telling me it was a harder workout!

• Like 1

71.2%
71.2%

I found a spaghetti squash last night!!! That is all. :D

71.2%
71.2%

my wife is scared to go full paleo in the diet. So we are taking baby steps and getting the gluten out of the way for at least 1 day every week.

way to go on the diet.

Human Ranger Level 4
STR:  2
DEX: 3
STA: 10
CON: 6
WIS: 3
CHA: 2

"I love things that seem impossible"
  The Cat Empire

Awesome! I'm just trying to make a few little changes here and there too... every little bit helps!

71.2%
71.2%

Made paleo spaghetti tonight! I was so excited to try this one... kinda cheated and used a jar of pasta sauce, but the spaghetti squash turned out amazing and I used extra lean ground beef. Extra veggies on the side too!

Went out to lunch with some coworkers so only got a little gym time in, but did my fastest speed yet on the recumbent bike. Tomorrow is abs and legs day, and I was thinking of doing my crunches holding a (light!) barbell plate to add some more difficulty.

Woo still pumped!

71.2%
71.2%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines