Whey Protein?

Flytch

Specifically, this one http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?cid=141

A few people in my household have been drinking whey protein shakes as an alternative to breakfast and I personally found that they made me feel full for an impressive amount of time when I tried them.

I've been looking into whey protein because I will need a quick breakfast when I start University again in a few weeks, and I also understand that it is beneficial with regards to weight loss and muscle gain.

However, as I stated in another post, I don't want to become 'bulky' and I intend to be doing high intensity - heavy weight training when I've bought my own weights.

Has anyone else had any experiences with whey protein or know of any websites that discuss it properly, all I can find are sites trying to sell me some :P

Personally I hate protein powder, and don't see the need for it. But hey that's just me though

While I normally agree with you, I must say that a good protein shake after a workout is better than trying to fry up some eggs/etc. I have recently started using protein powers post workouts and enjoy it.

Time to climb.

For me, I have a breakfast of two raw eggs + milk + "Sustagen" which is basically just chocolate flavouring with some extra vitamins and crap.

This keeps me full from 8-12. Plus I get to feel all manly following the rocky breakfast. ;)

I've come to realise that without a signature, people tend to ignore the last line of whatever I say, this exists to rectify that

Drinking a protein shake will not make your biceps explode with muscles or anything. You have to get a LOT of protein (Far more than three or four protein shakes a day, in addition to other normal food) in order to 'bulk up'. It would probably just serve to make you feel good, keep you full, and stave off muscle-soreness post workout. I've been doing whey protein shakes for breakfast ('cause thye're fast and tasty!) and have not noticed any (additional) hulk-like muscle activity.

I must say that a good protein shake after a workout is better than trying to fry up some eggs/etc.

I couldn't disagree more, egg's are so much better.

There is no try only to do ( before you go work out ).

Drinking a protein shake will not make your biceps explode with muscles or anything. You have to get a LOT of protein (Far more than three or four protein shakes a day' date=' in addition to other normal food) in order to 'bulk up'. It would probably just serve to make you feel good, keep you full, and stave off muscle-soreness post workout. I've been doing whey protein shakes for breakfast ('cause thye're fast and tasty!) and have not noticed any (additional) hulk-like muscle activity.[/quote']

There amount of protein needed to bulk up is exaggerated in my opinion. Yes you need protein to bulk up. But flytch does not need the same amount of protein as a body builder on steroids whos capacity for protein uptake is much better.

I couldn't disagree more, egg's are so much better.

There is no try only to do ( before you go work out ).

There amount of protein needed to bulk up is exaggerated in my opinion. Yes you need protein to bulk up. But flytch does not need the same amount of protein as a body builder on steroids whos capacity for protein uptake is much better.

Well,thanks for providing useful information...I really like this kind of informative post...Please keep sharing like these useful information with us..Keep it up...!

Protein shakes are by no means a magic muscle maker, but it's an easy quick way to get some post-workout nutrition or a breakfast in a pinch. Personally I don't like it as a breakfast substitute, I just feel less satisfied, but that's me.

As far as the effects, it isn't anything you couldn't get from just eating more protein, but as I said it's quick and convenient. Since I've gotten back to protein shakes I've noticed an increase in muscle mass, but YMMV.

Drinking whey protein will not make you bulky. Lifting heavy weight builds muscle. Bulky is the result of either taking streroids, extra testosterone, and some kind of bodybuilding program.

Whey protein is a supplement, and as such should only be used when you cant get enough protein through normal means. It isn't really designed to be a meal replacement like you're wanting it to be.

For quick breakfasts, have you considered hardboilled eggs, a piece or two of fruit, nuts, almonds?

Though, I'm not familiar with the concept that breakfast is related to weight loss. Quite the opposite. Google intermittenet Fasting if you want an interesting read,or read through leangains.com.

I've been doing whey protein (specifically, Nitrean+) after my workouts and it's been the best I've tried. It's got about 46g of protein and 6g carbs in a two-scoop shake, which is kind of a perfect consistency. Not too watery, not too thick that it chokes you after you've busted your ass in the gym. I'm no pro, but I like it mostly because it does two things:

1. Keeps me from reaching for disgusting snacks post-workout.

2. Magically staves off debilitating soreness the next day.

ok so.

whey protein is a good way to get protein right after a workout when you can't get to real food.

real food is obviously better, this is a supplement.

i like protein for breakfast because i actually can't handle a lot of food first thing in the morning right before i work out - or it'll come right back up.

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
ok so.

whey protein is a good way to get protein right after a workout when you can't get to real food.

real food is obviously better, this is a supplement.

i like protein for breakfast because i actually can't handle a lot of food first thing in the morning right before i work out - or it'll come right back up.

Ditto. I'm not a breakfast fan at all, and this works perfect for me. I make a protein shake with vanilla protien powder, wheat germ, a banana, some flax oil and cinnamon. it's breakfast perfection to me.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

Wow, what a thread bump. Ignore everything that says whey is some kind of magical thing that reduces stress or does anything other than provide more protein, its not. It is they same protein you get from meats and such, it's just more concentrated and easier to wolf down. It is typically a good source for a lot of protein with fewer calories than other stuff because it doesn't have too many fats or carbs in it, depending on the brand you get.

Personally, I have a certain amount of protein I aim for daily. If I don't hit that protein goal with whatever meals I'm eating for whatever reason, such as I ate way more veggies than normal or I lost self control and ate a bunch of carbs, then I'll throw some whey in water or milk and drink that to supplement the protein I get from meals. As others said, I wouldn't use it as a meal replacement because it does not contain the vitamins and minerals you get from other protein sources. If I did, I would make sure I was taking a multi vitamin.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Great tasting whey protein powder I've found online is the milk chocolate flavor by Gaspari Nutrition. Pretty affordable IMO, tastes almost like a milkshake, and has a good protein-to-card ratio. I haven't been drinking it since I went Paleo, but I may incorporate it back in once I get to the point of doing heavy lifts again and am focusing on strength goals. Just don't go crazy with protein shakes - they pack a lot of calories.

Hi Flytch,

Whey protein is great for health and have many benefits.

Whey protein is great to lose weight,

Whey protein improves memory,

Whey protein helps in reducing elevated blood pressure,

Whey protein is used to improves mood in stressful situations and to reduce stress.

Hmmm that's quite a set of claims to make. I am skeptical about the science behind these claims.

I'm "meh" about protein powder. I'd rather get it from less processed sources, wherever possible. I can see the point with the gym goers, but then again the owner of the gym I used to work for used to take a can of tuna or some cooked chicken breast to have after his workout, and he was pretty strong and stacked, so if it works for him then it'd do for me! One of those no-drain, ring-pull cans equates to about the same cost as a couple of scoops of whey.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually afraid to make one. - Elbert Hubbard

I generally have a scoop of protein powder with just water when I get home from the gym or for breakfast when I have to be a work for 6am and I don't have time to make a better breakfast. Sometimes I'll mix a scoop with some almond milk and frozen and/or fresh fruit for breakfast once in a while for a change of something. I usually just buy the cheapest one at Walmart or the local health food/bodybuilding store.

All I have to add, and I think someone mentioned this indirectly; if you're really set on using a protein shake first thing in the morning, I'd suggest adding some stuff to it, namely a fiber supplement like wheat germ or psyllium husk and something with some fat in it. More balanced 'meal' = stay fuller longer. Whey by itself gets metabolized pretty quickly and won't actually keep you full for very long.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!