Kayoung's 10 mile run

Kat on the Run

Hello fellow scouts! This is my second challenge, so my first in the scouts. I am excited to join you all!

Main Quest

Run a ten mile race on 5/4.  This is four weeks away and the first I've done over a 5K!! I am nervous, to say the least

How am I going to get there?

1. Run twice a week - my schedule has been CRAZY recently and its so hard to get out there as much as I want, so I'm just gonna say two times running

2. Do a BB strength workout once a week

3. Do power yoga once a week - strength and stretching!

Life Quest

Write more! --> Catch up on blog posts and finish academic article to send to publishers.  This should NOT be as hard as I'm making it out to be.  The article is mostly completed, I just need to update it since I wrote it for a class.  And the blog posts are not that hard either.  Maybe being accountable to the internet will make it easier to complete this goal.

Grading 

Running: I think I want to grade on total number of runs this time around, so that would be 12 total.  

-A: 12-10

-B: 10-8

-C: 8-6

-D: 6-4

-F: under 4

Strength and Yoga: grading by number of weeks

-A: 5 or 6

-B: 4

-C: 3

-D: 2

-F: none or 1

Writing

-A+: if I've finished the article and actually sent it to people

-A: if I've finished the article and do not have any blog posts pending

-B: either I've finished the article and have one or two blog posts pending OR I've done all blog posts but have not completely finished the article

-C: more than two blog posts pending AND I have not completely finished the article

-D: more than two blog posts pending AND I have not started updating the article

-F: No blog posts and haven't started updating article

• Like 1

Train so your heroes become your peers.

BTW we have another blogger in our midst, so go and say hi to @Artinum when he shows up. I'm sure you'll get on.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I don't think my phone wants me to say welcome to you because the last 2 tries have failed.

emocleW!

There - let's see if that gets past its inbuilt friendliness filter.

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Were glad to have you! If you manage six today I don't think 10 on Star Wars day will be an issue, though it may not be the most fun. Glad you joined us!

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Update: I just sort-of-impulse-bought myself the jawbone up.  I bought it for the boy for his Feb birthday and he seems to enjoy it so I'm going to try to log things in it too.  I don't want to add it to my challenge specifically, since I already have enough here to keep me busy but it might be worth some bonus points or something :)

Week 1 update #1: did the bodyweight workout level 2, workout A today (from the Nerd Fitness Academy).  My workout schedule keeps changing so I still haven't done my first run (and may not do yoga at all this week, but today my sleep was more important).  But I did start by running half a mile on the treadmill (why is it so cold again???) at speed 5.0 and incline 2.  I got too bored with that and decide to do strength instead. 

Week 1 update #2: whew! I was supposed to do 7 yesterday but someone emailed me about a tennis match so I played tennis first (and won, 6-4, 6-0). But then I still needed to run so I did between 6 and 6.5. My running app stopped counting in the middle so I'm not sure exactly how much I ran but I'd consider yesterday a success. Now if I could just get out of bed...

Week 1, update #3: with a three mile run this evening and Canadian doubles tennis yesterday, I am done with week 1! Though I never got around to power yoga, I did do my strength routine and two runs, plus two tennis sessions so still a successful week. No writing done, but my mom was in town this weekend so i wanted to do more social activities, like decorating my apartment and walking to the hardware store in the nice weather. I get to start my weekend in a no clutter zone which is awesome, plus I got a bunch of sleep this weekend which is icing on the cake 😀

Up band?

The jawbone product that tracks sleep and movement.  Then you use the phone app to log your food and get the overall picture of health.  It measures sleep not only by time in bed (you manually put it in sleep mode when you get in bed) but also by movement.  With some movement, it'll say you're in light sleep. If you get up and walk around, it logs it as awake time until you're still again. I'm not sure the exact science but that's a simplistic version.  I spent 6+ hours in bed but was awake and moving for a bit, hence, 5 1/2 hours of sleep (only 2 something of deep sleep)

Week 2, Update #2: I know, two updates in a day, that's crazy talk! But...I might be running an 8k this weekend.  The boy said there's a good one in his college town, where we happen to be for a wedding.  I can definitely do 8k, but the hills and the speed will be an interesting challenge.  I'll let you all know how it goes!

4/24: Well, plans continue to change.  I was going to run Wednesday but I have had a done of work to do so I was running out of time (no pun intended) and I didn't really want to run a long run before doing a hilly 8k this weekend.  So then I was going to run three and do the BWW after.  Then I feel like I lost a hour of my life sometime between 6-8, mostly hanging out with the boy and cleaning up.  So I only ran 1 but I tried to run faster than normal and did a half weight routine beforehand.  I did ten pushup, ten tricep dips and a minute plank routine, 3 times.  When I ran, I got the pups to actually run, instead of walking beside me while I run which is the normal way we do it.  So I'd say it was mostly a successful workout, even if I did change the plan a few times.

Welcome to Scouts!

And nice work being flexible with your workout and figuring out what you could accomplish in the time you had, rather than just writing off the plan altogether.

(And also persuading your pups to run! I have a cat who seemed eager to explore the outdoors -- based on his tendency to dash out the front door whenever it opened -- but although I was willing to try to be That Cat Lady with the harness and the leash, the whole get-up might have been made of molten metal based on the way he reacted to it, so I've pretty much given up on training him to run like a cheetah :P)

Good luck -- and more importantly, have fun! -- with the 8K this weekend!

Merganser: Level 4 Anatidae Scout

STR 4 | DEX 5 | STA 5 | CON 7 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

Intro | Current Challenge: Train for Spain!

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

of the family Anatidae on our hands." --Douglas Adams

Hahaaha I'm picturing you trying to wrangle your cat into a harness, lol! My pups problem is that she's TOO fast. My running speed is her walking speed so it's nice when I get up to a speed that she actually seems to be challenged. Her ears were blowing back in the breeze and I'm pretty sure she was smiling too :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines