Kayoung's 10 mile run

Kat on the Run

Week 5, Update #3: wanted to do something quick yesterday so I did a treadmill workout.  I walked for five minutes then did six intervals of 1 min. at 5.0, 1 min. at 7.0, then walked for five minutes to cool down.  It was hard! I guess I'm definitely not running the 5k in 8.5 minute miles :o

Train so your heroes become your peers.

Mm, you'll be surprised what you're capable of with other people around you.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Week 5, update #4: ran the 5k this morning in 32:49.  That was a little disappointing when I really wanted to break 30 minutes.  I think I was somewhat dehydrated and my allergies were acting up, plus it was hillier than I thought.  All in all, not my best race but I did it.

Week recap:

Run: twice, check!

Strength: twice, check!

Yoga: no

Writing: trying to do some now...

Week 6(!), update 1/2: I didn't really work out yesterday, though I walked a bunch, but I have two things I'm excited about to share.  First, I have slept SO WELL the last two nights.  I was pretty good about establishing my nighttime routine, including reading some before bed and actually getting to bed at a decent hour, and I feel SO MUCH BETTER.  I still haven't hit 8 hours on my up band timer but I think the quality has increased greatly.  I'm going to put some real effort into continuing that streak.  Second, I get my first CSA share this Thursday -- fruits and veggies and flowers from a local farm.  I'm excited beyond belief to have all that stuff picked out for me, locally/sustainably grown, and delivered to a nearby store! 

CSA? Oh I think I remember that from a food programme, actually - community supported agriculture?

Good job on the 5k. Disappointing when you don't hit the goal you set yourself, I know, but it's a good start under difficult circs and your next one will build on it.

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Week 6, update #1: wow, this week has not gone as planned.  I've really been trying to work more since someone brought up my lack of billables to me recently, but we've also had quite a few events at work.  I did my first real workout of the week yesterday, the Nerd Academy bodyweight workout level 2.  I wish I had been doing that consistently since yesterday was not my best performance.  The gym was hot as Hades, and I hadn't eaten very well recently so that might have factored in as well.  I'm still doing the incline inverted rows when I can get to the gym, so I tried to do 5 reps  per set with the bar on the 6th rung (harder) and 5 reps on the 7th bar (easier).  The last set I did 4 harder, 6 easier.  Then I walked uphill for ten minutes on the treadmill.  Today is a work day for me, and hopefully a cooking day, with all of my great veggies!

Eesh, that sounds like a struggle. I hope the second half of w6 has been better. Last day today - finish it in style!

Week 6, update #2: decided not to run the rest of the week (and maybe next) because my toes have been really bruised following the ten mile run and I should probably let them heal a little bit. I did a 15 minute power yoga video on Saturday and nothing on Sunday

------------------------

Week 6 roundup: did one strength and what I'll call half of a power yoga session.  Wrote a blog post.

---------------------

Challenge roundup:

Runs (original goal: run twice a week) -- ran 9 times, B

Strength (original goal: a bodyweight workout once a week) -- five weeks completed, A

Yoga (original goal: a power yoga class once a week) -- four weeks technically completed, but one was a spin class in lieu and one was only 15 minutes -- B-

Writing -- only did two blog posts, never opened the journal article, D

So, now I need to figure out the points system, right? Do I get 15 points even though I didn't get As all around? What's the protocol?

• Like 1

B,A,B,D. That's not bad, although autocorrect might change it to bad if you typed it out.

So, now I need to figure out the points system, right? Do I get 15 points even though I didn't get As all around? What's the protocol?

You base it on how well you did in each. Normally when you start the challenge you'd assign your 15 points among your goals - say 3 STA to the first, 4 STR to the second and so on. Then at the end, if you get an A in the first goal you give yourself the full whack of points assigned to that goal, if it's a B, C etc., only some of the points. Me, I only managed 10 points this time around because I did well in some goals but totally screwed up others.

It looks like you haven't assigned the points at the start (sorry - I should have suggested that 6 weeks ago!) so feel free to improvise and assign points according to how well you think you've done. 

Ok, so if I were putting myself in the mindset of six weeks ago, I would (probably) have given myself the following points per goal

Run (most important): 5 STA

Strength and yoga (supporting most important): 4 each - STR/DEX

Blogs: 2 - WIS

5+4+4+2 = 15 right?

So based on my B in Running, I'll give myself 4 STA; A for Strength earns me all 4, B- in Yoga gives me a 3 and I'd give myself a .5 in WIS for the blogs but that's probably too annoying to deal with so I'm not going to give myself any points there.  And I get to level up!

Oh! I forgot to update on that! I've made some delicious things!!

So the contents of the CSA were as follows: rhubarb, radish, green leaf lettuce, green romaine lettuce, turnips, kale, and something else which is either baby persian cress or young mizuna. I've been making salads with the lettuce but more exciting stuff with the other veggies. For dinner the other night I made a pork tenderloin from this local farm that does sustainable grass-fed meats.  I used this marinade: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/58687601368776009/.  And it was incredible! The fat on the pork was so good, compared to normal fat and the marinade made it perfect.

With the turnips, I made some turnip mashed potatoes.  I was worried the turnip taste would be drowned out by the potatoes but it was a nice addition.  I shouldve put some more salt on that, but other than that, it was very good.  Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Nanas-Mashed-Turnip/Detail.aspx

Finally, with the radishes, I bought some cucumbers and made this "summer salad" -- I took out the onions and the dill because I didn't want/didn't have them, respectively.  Also very good and we finished the whole thing (I made half what the recipe calls for) in one night.  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Summer-Radish-Salad/Detail.aspx

I just tried to post a picture (which I took only after eating half of it so it wasn't a great picture anyway) but it didn't work so just picture :peaceful:  on a plate

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines