Kailer Seeks Her Roots

Kailer

This Challenge, I'm going back to basics... Primal Style.

My plan for this Challenge has been inspired by Mark Sisson of Mark's Daily Apple. There is a great post here that covers diet and exercise in their simplest terms, and I'm going to give it a go! Nothing could be better than simple, right?

My Main Quest: Lose 40 lbs by my 26th birthday in November (7 months left; current progress: - 23 lbs)

I plan to focus on activity for my actual graded goals because I have done so much work on my diet in the last few Challenges. Here are the primal basics from MDA:

fitness_pyramid_flat_2012.jpg

Goal 1: Move Frequently at a Slow Pace

- Spend at least 3 hours a week being mobile. I will include walking, hiking, dancing, swimming, biking in this goal, but it has to be purposeful. Normal walking around the office or grocery store will not count in this goal. 

- I will track my goals with RunKeeper, but having noticed some inconsistencies with its record keeping during the last challenge I will also track on paper. I may also use HabitRPG, an app my cousin introduced me to that seems like a good tool, but I haven't experimented with it yet.

- Maximum of 5 applicable hours a week. (I think I'll be doing a Relay For Life one week, and I don't want to distort my actual habits with any single long activity)

Grading based on total time:

18 hours or more: A

15 - 18 hours: B

12 - 15 hours: C

9 - 12 hours: D

Fewer than 9 hours: F

Goal 2: Lift Heavy Things

- My heavy thing will be myself! I'll use bodyweight routines to meet this goal.

- At least 2 20-minute sessions per week using a routine like BBWW. I'll be sure to post my routines as I complete them.

Grading conducted weekly:

2 20-minute routines: A

2 shorter routines: B

1 20-minute routine: C

1 shorter routine: D

No bodyweight exercise: F

Goal 3: Sprint!!

- One 10-minute sprinting session each week.

- Anyone with tips and tricks for a beginner would be much appreciated. I know that the idea is to run as fast as you can for as long as you can, then rest, then do it again. I'm not sure though.. should the "rest" period be walking, or motionless? Is it safe to just do this as many times as possible in about 10 minutes, or is there a max on the number of intervals (reps??) one should attempt? Are there any specific stretches I should incorporate over those used for slower paced activity?

Grading is more complicated here:

1 10-minute sprint session every week, with improvement: A

1 10-minute sprint session every week, no noticeable improvement: C

Fewer than 6 sessions completed: F

Life Goal: Redirect Leisure Time

- This is a restructure of my unsuccessful life goal from last challenge - thanks to other Scouts who gave me suggestions for success!

- Throughout the 42 days of this challenge I will not:

a. Watch TV. Going to the cinema or watching shows/movies with friends are okay, but no mindless watching after work or on weekends.

b. "Scroll" - this means no imgur/reddit, no Cracked, etc. Facebook, NF, news, recipes, interesting articles are all okay, just no mindless scrolling simply to waste time.

- There are no restrictions on how the time should be spent. I assume some of my better diversions will be reading, listening to music, cooking, spending more time with friends, getting outside, being more active, or getting more sleep; however, there is no exhaustive list of "allowed" activities, only those which will not be allowed.

- I am hoping the greater amount of freedom will help me be successful here. I also hope following the Whole30 "all-or-nothing" mentality will make me successful as I know I respond well to that kind of restriction.

Grading will be incremental, each week will equal one grade level.:

6 perfect weeks: A

5 perfect weeks: B

4 perfect weeks: C

3 perfect weeks: D

2 or fewer perfect weeks: F

As for diet, I will focus on maintaining the new habits I have started building in earlier challenges, so there won't be a graded goal for diet. Basically, I will follow the Primal style, or Paleo+dairy, with "sensible indulgences" in which I will basically include red wine and being able to make "best choices" while eating out or with friends, but not having to dissect every ingredient in a rub or every type of oil that is used in the kitchen. Here are the Primal Basics from MDA:

food_pyramid_flat_2011sm-1.jpg

I will also continue to use MFP to track my foods, including calories and carbs to continue learning what works for me. I will aim for fewer than 75 grams total carbs each day.

BONUS ROUND!!

I have a few projects around the house over which I've been procrastinating. I didn't want to make these my life goal since it isn't exactly "habit building" and most require spending money, but I do want to give myself some accountability for these especially as they would be positive uses of my extra leisure time:

1. Re-upholster the dining room chairs
2. Make curtains for the hubby's Man Cave
3. Finish hanging all the existing wall art
4. Create/buy something to finish "hiding" the Hidey Hole
5. Work on the Firefly-inspired quote art I've been mulling over since we moved in
6. Clean the cars properly, with the vacuum and everything

For each item I cross off, I get to buy a 6-pack - and no beer otherwise! Beer is a great motivator on a low carb diet :)

Finally, I wanted to say Thank You to everyone who helped me ponder the great issue of my true race. I have decided that I am, in fact...
A Hobbit!
As 18ck pointed out, I am a short walking person. Additionally so much of my journey has been focused on food... I love food. I, too, would eat 6 meals a day if I could get them. What swayed me, though, was thinking about my Level 50 self. In my mind that person is someone like Strider - self-sufficient, competent, confident, and with a meaningful greatness that is never pompous. As Strider himself grew into his Level 50, he found that the Hobbits around him proved themselves to be his equal despite their unsuspecting appearance and provenance, and that is exactly what I strive to do, as well.
I do suspect that some Fallohide blood runs in my veins, being taller and somewhat more ambitious than many of my Hobbit brethren. I hope I shall not prove to be a fool of a Took!!

Day 1 Update: Starting Stats
Weight: 164 lb (this is up about 4 lb from the end of last challenge, I expect it to fall off pretty quickly getting back to clean eating)
Waist: 30.25"
Hip: 41.75"
Thigh: 25.74"
Arm: 13.25"
Neck: 13.25"
Bust: 40.5"
Band: 32.75"
  • Like 4

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
STR: 9 - CON: 12 - DEX: 6 - STA: 10 - WIS: 16 - CHA: 11
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Make a husband curtains for his man cave and you curtain him for a decade. Teach a husband how to *make* curtains and he will be curtained for life (although he will probably not brag about it to his friends)

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Make a husband curtains for his man cave and you curtain him for a decade. Teach a husband how to *make* curtains and he will be curtained for life (although he will probably not brag about it to his friends)

This is true.... however, he is on a different continent from his man cave!! I think this one is on me.

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

This is true.... however, he is on a different continent from his man cave!! I think this one is on me.

Ah, of course, I forgot about that. Well, that'll be quite a homecoming present for him!

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Ah, of course, I forgot about that. Well, that'll be quite a homecoming present for him!

When I told him they would be comic book themed he suddenly became VERY interested in curtains. He was pretty sure curtains were the most important thing in the house. How have we lived this long without curtains?!?

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Lucky, lucky man...

• Like 1

When I told him they would be comic book themed he suddenly became VERY interested in curtains. He was pretty sure curtains were the most important thing in the house. How have we lived this long without curtains?!?

Hehehehe

• Like 1

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

I want to share my ulterior Main Quest with everyone for context, even though it isn't my immediate focus. I'd really like to complete a half marathon at some point, even if it's at a walk and I have to sign up for one of the extended ones. I don't even mind doing it on my own just at the park, but I think it would be a great thing to do it more "officially."

Any way, I think that's a way off. I'd like to take more of the weight off, build my overall strength, and definitely improve my coordination (notice that low dex score.. That reflects uncertain major motor skills as well!) before committing to a half.

• Like 2

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

We take all kinds around here, even the more rangery kind. We don't judge. You and Syren were comparing notes weren't you? :P

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Your challenge sounds great! Sorry, no good advice as I've built up to sprints from regular runs in the past by finishing off a jog by increasing the speed on the treadmill to the 'terrifying' setting for my last 30-60 seconds. Or warm up with a light jog, then all out, the return to a jog or brisk walk, and again. This treadmill running plan I've done and includes hills and sprints and is killer. Maybe you can adapt it to your surroundings? I'm not sure how to properly start out if you're new to it.

Hilarious that your hubby is excited for curtains now!

I'm with you on hanging wall art - I moved into this apartment in July/August, and only have two things up, with the rest leaning against walls and dressers right now.

|| pattycake118 establishes routine || fitbit || MFP ||

|| Level 3|| STR 3 || DEX 1 || STA 2 || CON 6 || WIS 3 || CHA 2 ||

Your challenge sounds great! Sorry, no good advice as I've built up to sprints from regular runs in the past by finishing off a jog by increasing the speed on the treadmill to the 'terrifying' setting for my last 30-60 seconds. Or warm up with a light jog, then all out, the return to a jog or brisk walk, and again. This treadmill running plan I've done and includes hills and sprints and is killer. Maybe you can adapt it to your surroundings? I'm not sure how to properly start out if you're new to it.

Hilarious that your hubby is excited for curtains now!

I'm with you on hanging wall art - I moved into this apartment in July/August, and only have two things up, with the rest leaning against walls and dressers right now.

Actually your plan mirrors other advice I've gotten, which is basically to incorporate sprints as intervals. I can do that!

And I'm SO GLAD I'm not the only one who inexplicably puts off hanging stuff! In our last place I really never did it properly and the white rental walls depressed me always, so I know it's important. I have done better but there is still stuff leaning just like you said!

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Looks like a great set of goals! Your 6-pack beer incentive made me chuckle.

The BGV had a very similar primal-structured challenge, maybe 2-3 challenges ago. I think it worked out well. You should hook up with him for tips, if you need any :)

• Like 1

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Your challenge sounds great! Sorry, no good advice as I've built up to sprints from regular runs in the past by finishing off a jog by increasing the speed on the treadmill to the 'terrifying' setting for my last 30-60 seconds. 

Hee. I'm very familiar with that training method :)

Although it does kind of work, as long as I don't start thinking about how there are people in the world who run "terrifying" without a treadmill, and over long distances...because then my brain breaks :P

Merganser: Level 4 Anatidae Scout

STR 4 | DEX 5 | STA 5 | CON 7 | WIS 6 | CHA 2

Intro | Current Challenge: Train for Spain!

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

of the family Anatidae on our hands." --Douglas Adams

Actually your plan mirrors other advice I've gotten, which is basically to incorporate sprints as intervals. I can do that!

And I'm SO GLAD I'm not the only one who inexplicably puts off hanging stuff! In our last place I really never did it properly and the white rental walls depressed me always, so I know it's important. I have done better but there is still stuff leaning just like you said!

Definitely not alone; and my mother does the same thing.

I've had 8 pieces of art leaning against a wall in a hallway for...more time than I wish to contemplate :P

(More recent acquisitions get leaned against the wall on top of eye-level bookshelves, so they are at least approximately positioned where they might be if I ever got around to breaking out the hammer and nails...)

Challenge 6: Back on Track...and Then Off Again | Challenge 5b: First-World ProblemsChallenge 5a: Make a Map | 

Challenge 4: Fly! (On a Bike!) | Challenge 3: Run!..(At All!) | Challenge 2: Stretch! | Challenge 1: Swim Faster! |

My Fitness Pal

"She was a woman who had wandered almost by accident into a life she had not quite intended for herself..." --Lawrence Osborne

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird 

Love the pyramids! 

And speaking of primal food...I'm really loving the Whole30 thing, too! In the first 6 days I made, like, 5 entirely new dishes (it helps that I've managed to get this far without ever making a poached egg or an omelet  :rolleyes:) and I'm therefore feeling newly re-motivated with my meal-planning and food prep, etc.

(P.S. Apparently, a frittata -- no idea actually where all the "t"s go -- is a flat omelet, although in my case, it was also baked in the oven, but I don't know if that's required. But it does seem like an excellent way to mix up leftover veggies, etc. in something that you can slice up and eat for breakfast or lunch all week :)

My Fitness Pal

Fantastic goals Kailer, sub'd! You're gonna slice this challenge into ribbons...just like Strider!

...you did mean the videogame Strider, right? xD

Let's get going! :-)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

IntroductionBodyware: Fitness Journal

Challenge Belt: (1)(2)(3)(4), (5), (6), (7), [WOOT](8), [TEMP HIATUS], (9)

Bodyweight Info: Starting: 264.5lbs, Current: 167.8lbs (NEUTRAL)

IronGlider v2.10, Adventurer Rank: Level 8

Ahhh I'm SO behind already, lol! I was great on goals today and I'm excited to update everyone and respond to all your kind words tomorrow. Today was just a busy one.

Teaser: I put pineapple in my ground beef stir fry for dinner, and it was incredible.

Again, sorry! Pics and updates to come!

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Goal 3: Sprint!!

- One 10-minute sprinting session each week.

- Anyone with tips and tricks for a beginner would be much appreciated. I know that the idea is to run as fast as you can for as long as you can, then rest, then do it again. I'm not sure though.. should the "rest" period be walking, or motionless? Is it safe to just do this as many times as possible in about 10 minutes, or is there a max on the number of intervals (reps??) one should attempt? Are there any specific stretches I should incorporate over those used for slower paced activity?

I can't claim absolute expertise, but any time I've had a coach they've instructed the rest period after a sprint to be something lightly active. When I was swimming it was usually an easy 50, so I think a walk at whatever pace is natural would be the running equivalent.

Looks like a great set of goals! Your 6-pack beer incentive made me chuckle.

The BGV had a very similar primal-structured challenge, maybe 2-3 challenges ago. I think it worked out well. You should hook up with him for tips, if you need any :)

Thanks for the tip! I might just have to do that :)

Hmm, maybe I should incentive beer too... that's a great idea...except for finals week...

Your finals week must be different from mine. That was EXACTLY when I needed "incentive beer", lol.

I'm subbin ya girl! Looking forward to seeing how you get on. ;)

Awesome! I am excited to see your progress as well :D

Love the pyramids! 

And speaking of primal food...I'm really loving the Whole30 thing, too! In the first 6 days I made, like, 5 entirely new dishes (it helps that I've managed to get this far without ever making a poached egg or an omelet  :rolleyes:) and I'm therefore feeling newly re-motivated with my meal-planning and food prep, etc.

(P.S. Apparently, a frittata -- no idea actually where all the "t"s go -- is a flat omelet, although in my case, it was also baked in the oven, but I don't know if that's required. But it does seem like an excellent way to mix up leftover veggies, etc. in something that you can slice up and eat for breakfast or lunch all week :)

I'm so glad you are feeling great on your Whole30! New dishes are always fun :)

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Fantastic goals Kailer, sub'd! You're gonna slice this challenge into ribbons...just like Strider!

...you did mean the videogame Strider, right? xD

Let's get going! :-)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Thanks IG! Actually I was speaking of Strider, Aragorn's moniker in his duties as a Ranger of the North. This aspect of his character is a bigger deal in the books, but in the movies we first meet him in Strider mode.

I can't claim absolute expertise, but any time I've had a coach they've instructed the rest period after a sprint to be something lightly active. When I was swimming it was usually an easy 50, so I think a walk at whatever pace is natural would be the running equivalent.

I  think the sprints will get worked in in just that way, and intervals. Thanks for the advice :)

Level 7 DINOSAUR Scout
Current Challenge
Scouts Base Camp
Scouts Tavern

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines