Elder: Preparing to Conquer The Fort!

Elder

Hello!

I’ve been over at the NF Women’s Academy since October (Yay beta group!) and have decided to come over here and complete a challenge.  It will be a challenge in itself keeping up with my battle log over there and the challenge over here but I know it will be worth it.  I have started most of these goals at the beginning of March so it will just be a matter of becoming more disciplined with completing them. 

I am going to have three main quests over the next 5 ½ months.

·         Conquer the Fort Mud Run (July 12)

·         CAMP NERD FITNESS!!!!!!! (Sept 18) 

·         Super Spartan Race (Sept 26)

·         Move to New Zealand (Oct 1) YES!!!

For this challenge (and next challenge) I will be focusing on the Conquer the Fort Mud Run.  Preparing for this race will tie in to preparing for the Super Spartan.  As for the third quest, I will be working on it in the background for this challenge and slowly bringing it to the forefront as the months pass. 

So back to Preparing To Conquer The Fort!

Mission 1:  Get Stronger.

·         Weight train 4x per week

·         Finish Academy Barbell Battalion levels 1&2 and start level 3

·         M/W/F/Sa

·         Each workout completed has a $1 reward!

I have a super duper workout/life journal that I created and it has basically every day planned for the next 5 ½ months.   I workout in the mornings, M/W/F at 6am and on Saturdays at 8am.  I am really loving the barbell workouts they are so much fun and different from the dumbbell workouts I was doing from October to March.

Mission 2:  Get Faster.

·         Run 4x per week

·         Progress from run/walk intervals to a steady 6km run

·         M/W/F & Sa or Su

·         Each run completed has a $1 reward!

I have been going to the gym after work and doing about 5km of run/walk intervals.  I am up to walking 2 minutes and running 7 minutes.  I am hoping that in the next week or so most of the snow around here melts, so I can move from the treadmill to trail running.  Once I can trail run I can also bring my dog with me!

Mission 3: Get Better.

·         Handstand practice 4x per week at least 10 minutes each session.

·         Progress from no handstands to tripod/headstands and eventually somewhere down the line handstands

·         Tu/Thu/Sa/Su

·         Each practice session has a $1 reward!

Handstands are just plain cool.  They also help with core strength and balance which is also cool.  I haven’t started my handstand practice yet so I am completely new to this one.  I chose Tuesdays and Thursdays because I do not have a lot to do on those days but any day of the week is ok really as long as I get 4 sessions in.

Mission 4:  Get Cleaner….?

·         Mid-week clean 1x per week

·         This includes dishes, sweeping the floor, and at least 1 load of laundry on Wednesday or Thursday

·         Each week complete has a $1 reward!

I do a good house clean on the weekend but during the week my house becomes quite the mess.  Now that it is spring and things are wet and muddy it transfers to me and my dog.  My dog sheds year round so there is always tons of hair….I shed year round too.  I do loads of food prep Sundays and if I don’t do dishes during the week there is a GIANT pile to do at the end of the week.  In order to be able to have clean workout clothes for Saturdays and nice clothes for the weekend I need to do some laundry during the week also.  If I do not I am in old raggedy clothes to do my groceries and I am trying to get away from that habit. 

I have chosen to give myself $1 rewards for each successful goal I achieve.  I have a total of $78 in rewards that I can get over the course of this challenge.  At the end, I get to spend it on super fun stuff!  Probably more workout clothes.  If I do not complete something, I am giving the money to my sister.  This won’t be happening though, no way! 

So that’s it for now I think.  Super excited to finally be back here to complete a challenge.  I cannot wait to get to know some of you too!   :D

• Like 4

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

how exciting to be moving to New Zealand!  Anything specific taking you there?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Stats: (
About Me)
Start Weight: 279.6    Current Weight: 270.1    Goal Weight: 220.0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge History: Lvl 1 Rebel, PvP, Lvl 2 Warrior, Lvl 3 Warrior

I'm super jealous!!! I want to do a Spartan but none of them are nearby or at a good point in my training!! And I want to live in NZ!!! I can totally sympathize on the cleaning, that's a constant struggle for me too, what helped was realizing I was standing around a lot when I could be doing something to clean. Like standing waiting for my tea kettle to boil = unload the dishes. Heating up leftovers = wipe down the counters (roomies tend to leave messes.)

Meg -- Primal since late June 2013, never going back! 

26%
26%

weight loss progress

One thing my wife and I used to do is set a timer for 20 minutes and clean as much as possible in that time...then take 20 minutes off.

Rinse and repeat until satisfied.

• Like 2

Personal Stats: (
About Me)
Start Weight: 279.6    Current Weight: 270.1    Goal Weight: 220.0

Challenge History: Lvl 1 Rebel, PvP, Lvl 2 Warrior, Lvl 3 Warrior

how exciting to be moving to New Zealand!  Anything specific taking you there?

I have always wanted to move to a different country and experience it.  I also met a bunch of kiwis while they were working over here so I have a ton of friends over there.  ALSO, also I am terribly sick of the nasty Canadian winters and New Zealand has much warmer ones.  :D

I'm super jealous!!! I want to do a Spartan but none of them are nearby or at a good point in my training!! And I want to live in NZ!!! I can totally sympathize on the cleaning, that's a constant struggle for me too, what helped was realizing I was standing around a lot when I could be doing something to clean. Like standing waiting for my tea kettle to boil = unload the dishes. Heating up leftovers = wipe down the counters (roomies tend to leave messes.)

My friend and I are taking a 10hr road trip to make it to the Super Spartan in Illinois.  It will be intense, leave Thursday after work drive 10 hours, sleep, race, sleep, drive 10 hrs home so she can be at work Monday... :wacko:...it will be so worth it though.  

Yay another person with a cleaning life goal!  I might be coming from a messier place, but I'll be cheering you on while I conquer my own mess!

Yay for cleaning buddies!

You have epic goals. I'll be following that's for sure.

I understand the cleaning, it'd a constant struggle to keep my house clean. My cats and myself shed like crazy.

Thanks I am super excited about them all.  :)

One thing my wife and I used to do is set a timer for 20 minutes and clean as much as possible in that time...then take 20 minutes off.

Rinse and repeat until satisfied.

I really like this idea.  I think I am going to try it out tomorrow, since today has sort of slipped on by... :tongue:

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

So today I was up at 6:30 am and took my dog for a 20 minute walk.  Made my breakfast shake and took off to the gym for 8:00am.  

I did my warm up which consists of:

• 60 jumping jacks
  • 20 bodyweight squats
  • 20 arm circles (10 frontwards 10 backwards, small to big circles)
  • 15 leg swings/leg
  • 7 push ups
  • 10 fence steppers/leg

Then I went on to the main workout which was:

• 6x5 Bench Press  1x45lbs(bar) 3x55lbs 2x65lbs
  • 7x5 Deadlift 1x45lbs(bar) 1x55lbs 2x65lbs 2x85lbs 1x95lbs
  • 6x5 Push Press 1x45lbs(bar) 3x55lbs 2x65lbs

I usually do these as 5x5's and have been staying with 55lbs over that last few weeks, but Saturdays are my fun/play days and I wanted to see how I did adding a little extra weight.  It was super fun!

• 3x16 Barbell Lunge 1x45lbs(bar) 2x55lbs
  • Assisted Pull Ups 7/7/6
  • Assisted Chin Ups 7/7/6
  • 3x10 Reverse Crunchs

I use a band wrapped around the bar that I stand in for my pull ups and chin ups.  I just upped my reps from 7/6/6 to 7/7/6 this week, pretty pumped about that. :)

Then I did about 15 minutes +/- of a stretching.

No run today so I will get that in tomorrow.  And still have to do my handstand practising.  I did do a load of laundry on Thursday but no dishes or sweeping.  

Tomorrow will be a busy day so I can get myself prepped and ready to take on this challenge when it officially starts.  :D

You have some great goals!!!

If you need some help with your handstands, check out the Assassin Phonebook, there are lots of people doing handstands in the Assassin Guild. I'm sure any of them would be happy to answer your questions. There is also a tutorial in the second post about tripods, may be worth a look.

Either way, good luck this challenge, I'm following your thread and look forward to seeing you kill it. :)

You have some great goals!!!

If you need some help with your handstands, check out the Assassin Phonebook, there are lots of people doing handstands in the Assassin Guild. I'm sure any of them would be happy to answer your questions. There is also a tutorial in the second post about tripods, may be worth a look.

Either way, good luck this challenge, I'm following your thread and look forward to seeing you kill it. :)

Thanks I am definitely going to check that stuff out!

• Like 1

Brand new Acountabilbuddy group (that's a mouthful to say >_>):  "handstand training study group":

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/46943-handstand-super-fun-study-group

Lots of great people there and it's open to everyone regardless of the guild :), I'm sure it would make your handstand training more fun!

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

So I just took 10 minutes to practice some headstands.  I am a lot farther along than I thought, which is awesome!  I was also surprised at how much I improved in just 10 minutes.  My first attempt I was all shaky, basically because I didn't know what to do, I managed to get up but then flipped right over.  Luckily as I was falling I thought, "feet", and put them down before I landed on my back and knocked the wind out of me.   :)  I videoed the last attempt and was surprised (yes lots of surprises) again to see how far forward my legs were when I thought I was fully extended up.  But just have to work on it some more.  

Here's the video...

Nope

That is an intimidating to-do list but it looks like you have it well in hand. nice work.

Thanks.  I try to not let it run away with me too often.  :)

So this morning before work I took Chopper (my dog) for a quick 20 minute walk, made my breakfast shake, then headed out to door to the gym for 6:00 am.

I started Barbell Battalion Level 2 today without even knowing it.  That means I passed level 1!  

So today's workout went like this:

Warm Up

5x5 Bench Press 1x45 2x55 2x65

5x5 Barbell Squats 1x45 2x55 2x65 and an extra set 1x85

Push Ups 7/7/6

Assisted Pull Ups 7/7/6

Assisted Chin Ups 7/7/6

3x20 DB Step Ups @40lbs (10/leg)

Stretch

It also called for 3x :40 plank but I ran out of time so it will happen tonight after my run.  

Look at me go I earned one dollar!!!

post-14028-0-58372700-1397492760_thumb.j

• Like 2

K so I went to the gym after work for my run and did awesome!  I was doing walk/run intervals and today I upped it to slower run/faster run intervals!  I did 6.04 km in 47 minutes.  This included 5 minutes walking warm up and a 7 minute walking cool down.  For the running portion I did 5 minutes at speed #5.0 and 3 minutes at speed #6.0.  I will do this for the rest of the week and increase the time I spend at speed #6.0 next week.  :)

I also got this done today too.....

Reward System #1

I got a dollar for my weight workout this morning and another dollar for my run this evening!  Definitely motivation to keep on track.  :D
  • Like 1

Frustrated....

Let's see if I can make this work....

That totally rocks!!! You are awesome!

This is Teri from NFA Rebel Women facebook. You have some great goals and I love the payment plan you have laid out. I bet my darling hubby would let me do that (we are on a pretty strict budget because of a debt payoff plan) IF I told him he gets any of the money I don't earn. He'd probably be sabotaging me all the time though. :playful:

I've also included cleaning goals. I'm so tired of my house having stuff laying all over the place. May we both come out of this challenge with cleaner homes and stronger bodies!!!

Class/Profession: Hobbit/Ranger - Level 4

Current Attributes: STR: 2, DEX: 3.5, STA: 8.5, CON: 8.5, WIS: 11.5, CHA: 4

Habits I'm Working On: #1, #2

Previous Challenges: #1, #2, #3.1(fail), #3.2

Quote: "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison

Thanks Teri!  I practiced without the pillow tonight and my head hurts a lot right now.  I have hard tile floor and there's no give.  Hopefully outside will dry up soon so I can work on the nice soft ground.  

I did 10 minutes total practice.  I started with some headstand work, then moved to wall handstands.  I can flip up pretty easy in to those and hold for about 10-15 seconds.  I can also touch my toes to the ceiling because they are short (6'2") so I can practice holding myself away from the wall too but only for about 5-ish seconds.  I did a few wall walks to complete things but I couldn't do too many because my wrists were bothering me.

I am not sure if I am doing too much too fast or if that's just the way it goes from the start.  I also need to plan out a little warm up routine for before my practice and get some stretches organized for after practice.  I can feel it in my upper back/shoulders already.

I am happy with my 2nd day of head/handstanding though.  :D Now for some more stretches before I seize up.  

• Like 1

ELDER!! *bearh hug* I missed ya! Love all your goals you gonna rock girl :D

wow Elder, your handstands sound super advanced! way to go!

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

ELDER!! *bearh hug* I missed ya! Love all your goals you gonna rock girl :D

Thanks LostOne!  I finally made it back here! Yay!!  :eagerness:

wow Elder, your handstands sound super advanced! way to go!

Haha, I am surprised how confident I am with them.  Although I need to dial it back a bit because my wrists, arms, and other body bits need to get stronger first.  It's frustrating but I know it's the way to do it right.  :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines