Teddie.Bare's Fiery Road to Awesome - Part 3

teddie.bare

My third challenge - it's almost like this is becoming a habit now :D

This time I'm doing something that wouldn't normally be something I would try - I'm adding goals that are way outside my comfort zone. This time I want to add a meditation habit for every day after work. I need the meditation to help mitigate the large amount of stress I'm under. I'll also be working on handstand progression - it really scares me, and it will help me feel confident that I'm getting better at something, there's a lot in my life that feels stagnant right now.

I will still be working on my hooping, but this time it will be because I want to, not because I feel obligated to. I just re-taped my LED hoop and it is SUPER PRETTY now. I'll have to post some photos. That in itself makes me want to play with it more, it's a super yummy yellow/orange/white/red color changing opaque tape. Best $5 I've spent in a long time.

Epic Main Quest is: Become a performance LED/Fire hula hooper (long term goal)
Goals:
Work on Handstand Progression. 3x a week.  5 minutes at a time.
Meditate every day after work. 5x a week. 5 minutes a day.
Keto on. <50g of carbs 6/7 days a week. Points for tracking all of my calories in MFP every day.

Side Quests:
Record daily miles walked into "Walking to Mordor" spreadsheet.
Life Quest:
Work on decluttering my tiny house. Throw away or donate at least one thing a day. By the end of the challenge, have costume clothing out of my main closet and in my costume chests.

Motivation:
"It's never too late to become what you might have been."

Grading:
I will give myself a total each week, based on how well I do. I will then assign my total grade at the end based on how many points I earned.

Week 1: 15/15

Week 2: 14/15

Week 3: 16/15

Week 4: 14/15

Week 5: 16/15

Week 6: 14/15

TOTAL: 89/90  or an A

• Like 1

You aren't going to get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have.
Challenges: 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10  • 11 â€¢ 12 • 13 • Current

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

Yay, you're here again! Can't wait for the epicness :)

My hands are all bruised and swollen thanks to you and your hoop-infecting me!

I'm afraid that is the worst part about hooping - the bruises you receive as new body parts get used to being hooped around. Just wait until you start neck hooping!! hehe. I'm so glad I was able to help you catch the bug, I'm really looking forward to keeping up with your progress and sharing hooping tips! It might even be warm enough for me to hoop OUTSIDE this weekend - I'm positively giddy!

Aspiring Success Story: start 242     current 179.8     goal 142  |  Total Lost: 62.2 lbs  Follow me on Facebook

Half-Nymph Assassin Warrior • Level Up Club Alumni • Nerd Fitness Academy Member • Camp Nerd Fitness Attendee

Teddie! You're here! And working on handstands, let's be buddies. :)

Really?? I would LOVE that! You don't even know how much anxiety I've had this afternoon about starting with the dreaded handstands. I want to do one SO BAD, but just kicking myself over upside down gives me anxiety. I'd love someone who was also working through those feelings! I am reading the How to do a Handstand article right now, and I hope to be feeling better about it by the end! I'm so happy! this is going to be much more fun now!

I'm afraid that is the worst part about hooping - the bruises you receive as new body parts get used to being hooped around. Just wait until you start neck hooping!! hehe. I'm so glad I was able to help you catch the bug, I'm really looking forward to keeping up with your progress and sharing hooping tips! It might even be warm enough for me to hoop OUTSIDE this weekend - I'm positively giddy!

Haha yep! My hip bone is pretty bruised from waist-to-hip-to-waist-hooping already. Now both hands - but I'm in this weird hate-love-relationship with my body that makes me think bruises and DOMS are awesome, so I'll survive!

I've done some neck-hooping with my home made hoop (which is much slower and softer than the hoopnotica one), no bruises yet. Am I gonna look like someone tried to strangle me when I start to practice that properly? :D

Yay for hooping outside! My hoop keeps accidentally attracting bees and wasps, possibly because it's so shiny, so I have to alternate between hooping, flinging the hoop away and running from the evil stingers. I need a big meadow sometime, where I can practice the overhead lasso without fear of flinging it into the neighbour's garden! I can't wait for your hooping videos :)

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

ApfelStrudi is out of control

If you are making an Acountabiliieuqilfhqkhgakchfg group for handstand training, I'm sure I could send you a few L1 that would love training with you! And add me to the crazy hoop training, I hereby present you The Nualastein Monster :D

gallery_7471_150_79874.jpg

How do you know if a hoop is too light?

• Like 1

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

ohhh, cool challenges. handstands!!!! (im working on handstands too). there are some nice tutorials on getting started on the youtube. if you were to make an Acountabiliieuqilfhqkhgakchfg group for handstanding i would totally be in.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Elven Ninja

level: 2

STR:1  DEX:2  STA:1

CON:1  WIS:3  CHA:2

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yay, handstand study group. :D Are you trying to kick up against a wall or freestanding? How are you feeling about mini-inversions like crow pose? Have you tried walking up the wall with the stomach facing in?

I'm just trying to go from down dog to handstand against a door. I will try the walk up when I really start focusing this week.

I might look into some mini-inversions, but it can't involve putting weight on my head/neck. I hit a steering wheel with my face at 40mph when I was 17 and I don't want to risk undoing a decade of physical therapy with something like "holding up my bodyweight with only my neck."

My main issue is just fear. I still have back issues and falling or aggravated twisting can cause me tremendous harm. So I need to get more confident in my falling in a heap skills. This challenge is about letting go and getting some physical confidence back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you need a good laugh today? I took a terrible video of my giant behind trying to go vertical on a handstand. I have a lot of work to do ;) I'm still scared!

http://youtu.be/GtqUP66ZhTU

I need a better angle for my camera. I've lost 57 lbs, so I'm not going to let this cinematic disaster depress me :) at least I'm trying something new. I can't wait to see where I'm at in 6 weeks!

• Like 2

If you are making an Acountabiliieuqilfhqkhgakchfg group for handstand training, I'm sure I could send you a few L1 that would love training with you! And add me to the crazy hoop training, I hereby present you The Nualastein Monster :D

How do you know if a hoop is too light?

That handstand challenge is going NUTS! I love it. Join us in the hoop challenge if you haven't already as well:

I don't think there is such a thing as a too-light hoop. It's just a matter of personal preference. The heavier hoops are easier in the beginning, the lighter hoops are better for tricks. I have some polypro that is nearly weightless, and it spins much faster and is more responsive. The heavier/bigger hoops is great for hoop-only meditative hooping. I usually start with big bessy, and then work on various tricks with other, smaller, hoops. I am working on being able to waist hoop with smaller and smaller hoops, and I'm really good down to 36". I'm getting better with the 34". It's easier for behind the back tricks with the 34, but chest hooping is impossible smaller than 36 right now. My 42 is awesome for just working my waist/hips, but I can't do hardly any tricks with it without slamming it into the floor.

Anyhow, here's my little collection. The one with the red gaffers is now a magnificent color changing yellow/white/orange/red. I started re-taping some of my basic ones to make them more yummy, so this is showing off my taping job on the fabulous 3-in-1 (it breaks down into 2 minis).

66699FAB-1B36-4315-966E-5BF010BAA61F_zps

I can totally related to the being scared part. I've never been able to kick into a wall handstand (even when I could still do handstands that were almost free-standing, just someone having their hand on your leg to give a small bit of stability) because for some reason, that stuff really scared me. 

Tonight for my first "real" practice I'm going to spend my 5-minutes trying to walk up the wall. If that doesn't go any better, tomorrow I will have my husband help me so I feel a little more secure about it. I also had my young daughter hanging out beneath me, so I was afraid of squashing her.

I do see how I was close, I just couldn't get the gumption to pull up that second leg. I think walking up until I'm comfortable being upside down will work better for me. Then I think I need to go from standing to upright in one movement, the creeping up to the wall and then trying to kick up was hindering me mentally I think. I need to just commit and do the damn thing!

Having my husband assist me in kicking up is a lot less scary for me then kicking up. My attempts to kick up look pretty similar to yours. One tip I learned from GMB which helped me today, was to rotate my hands slightly out, and then have my elbow pits face outward instead of toward each other. This really helped me keep my arms straight, which is something I struggle with when trying to kick up.

Here is a video from Chris Salvato on how to safely bail out of a handstand

http://chrissalvato.com/2013/01/what-is-the-pirouette-bail/

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I finally bought a new, heavier hoop :D The problem with the Nualastein monster is that it has no grip, makes it really difficult to get it up or down.

I have solutions for that!

This shop has fabulous tape. Gaffers tape should do the trick. You can either put a stripe of it on the inside of the hoop, or do a stripe of it coiled around.

Hockey tape, which you can find at your local sporting goods store, also works pretty well. 

You won't always need it. The LED I just re-taped with sunshine doesn't have any grip tape. I have some ready to go, but once I tried the hoop, I realized I didn't really need the tape after all. I may still change my mind, but right now I love how magical it looks without it. I think I have all the hoops I need for now. I want a fire hoop eventually, but I have a good range of sizes to try. They even make adjustable ones now. This shop offers 'shrink with me' options, as does hoopnotica. I use getting new hoops as non-food related rewards, and it's worked pretty well as a motivator for me. I have different travel ones. I have different sizes. I have an LED. I even figured out that the translucent polypro can be filled with glowstick bracelets for an instant glowing good time.

Now I just need to get really good at it!

Woah. Well, I made it upside down. Man that's a strange feeling. Head rushing fun! I'm much weaker than I expected, even being 30 lbs overweight still. I am just happy I made it to inverted on my second try. Walking up the wall was much easier for me. Now I have to work on holding it longer, and walking my hands back closer to the wall. Also: it's SO HARD to take pictures of yourself doing this! My hallway is such a weird angle.

064f15bb-f140-4a8a-b35e-65265ddbcb9c_zps

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines