• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SuNoYo

SuNoYo Gets Down to Business

@Twilight, Kishi and Chris-Tien: it was a play period, but one that made you think about how and why the body works the way it does. There was this one exercise revolving around picking people up bodily and then ways of making it harder/impossible to be picked up (passive resistance or something I suppose) such as completely relaxing the body instead of tensing up, putting your hand above their head, sticking your tongue out and that sort of thing. Let me tell you, it's impressive seeing this brawny six foot six man being able to easily lift the instructor a couple feet off the ground, and then finding it all but impossible to pick the instructor up simply because he put his hand above Brawny's head.

I have to admit, I don't know how much I buy the philosophy or the chi stuff quite yet, but maybe the more I continue with T'ai Fu (or Kung Chi :tongue:) it'll make more sense.

But I think that's part of the play periods and things. It's not just learning the forms and things, so when playing you get to think more about it.

@Stardust: Mulan is awesome. I think most Disney films are to be honest.

As for rocking out the rest of the challenge . . .

Remember the Sister stuff from the last challenge. Well . . . how can I put this? One the twenty-second of April we started getting daily calls from the college (UK) about things. Things like coursework not handed in for two courses (even though she swore after the last debacle that all the coursework had been handed in. Things like 'she hasn't shown up to this specific class all week even though she's been to all the others'. Things like 'she hasn't attended class since the twenty-second OF MARCH!'. And more. Like 'if she doesn't come to this meeting tomorrow she's going to be withdrawn from her exams'.

And here I am - because the phone lives in my room in the mornings - going "But she left to catch the bus today, I heard her leave," or "But I saw her do the coursework," or "Look, none of us have phones, so when she leaves for college she is out of contact until she gets home unless she chooses to reply to her e-mail."

The deadline for all coursework was the first of May. The college wanted it on the twenty-ninth of April so it could be marked once by the teacher and once by an independent moderator as she'd been selected as a random sample to ensure accurate marking.

She didn't make the meeting to discuss her exams. She'd 'missed the bus'. No wait, for once she'd actually had real transport problems and made it to college just after lunch.

We - meaning both her parents, all her siblings and anyone else we'd mentioned this to (so family) - all wanted to pull her from college. Certainly she's never going to uni. For all that week and the week after we were asking her if she had a boyfriend/partner, if she was pregnant, doing drugs, wanting to know where she was when she wasn't at college at all! We were on the verge of surprising her one day and taking her to a drug test thing. We didn't think we could trust her.

How's she going to get a job when she can't even get honest references from college tutors?!

But she did go to college most days, just not to class; she was scared. She had trouble(/was too lazy to do the work until she thought it was too late to ask for help) doing things and was scared to admit it. So she hid and ran away. In spite of the fact that last year she did the same thing (though to a much lesser degree) and it didn't work. In spite of the fact that I personally pleaded to her Head Tutor (and coincidentally my former HT) to let her do a second year and work out a two year plan to ensure she could get a respectable amount of qualifications (read: more than two okay AS Levels). In spite of the fact that I spent my birthday supervising her doing a last minute piece of coursework.

In. Spite. Of. EVERYTHING. Everyone did. From her parents to her tutors to her siblings. So we decided that she wasn't going to sit the exams. That her college career was over.

But she made it to the meeting. Kind of. And she managed to sort out the coursework problems. Mostly. Turns out there were some misfiles or something because even the tutors had seen her do some of the work. The rest was a case of essay crises. But she's been withdrawn from one course because she had Incomplete coursework and so there was no way she could get really get a passing grade in that course. And everything else is okay; she has good grades in the other two courses with coursework (largely because of me, my help and my uni books). She's sitting all the exams. She's attended every lesson since the twenty-fourth or so, barring the Meeting Day.

Why is she still in college after we said no? Because she's legally an adult and as such we can't decide these things for her, and so when he asked "What do you want to do?" she said she wanted to finish the year. And so she is. Strangely, he still wants her to go to uni because there are some that will accept two A Levels and a bit. But yeah, no.

But that was exhausting, and stressful, there were tears and shouting and tense silences, and no one was able to really relax or do anything until about May Day or so. Including me. I went to bed dreading the morning because I knew there would be a phone call. I was stressed, exhausted; unable to sleep properly until after the phone call, leading to me sleeping away most of the daylight hours afterwards; I didn't even go to Kung Fu or T'ai Chi at all. Not even this week because I had no energy to do so without hating it or putting in half an effort. And also because a cumulative result of all this meant I was only eating one meal a day - dinner, and didn't want to risk feeling light-headed or anything.

So this challenge is a failure. Almost completely. Almost.

Because I did a lot of thinking. A lot over the past eighteen days. I ended up doing a lot of reading on sites like MDA, NF, WellnessMama, MindBodyGreen and other  . . . I suppose you could call them lifestyle sites, and picked up many new pieces of underwear. So I did some little things like make some homemade bath/beauty products. Started dry skin brushing a few days ago (argh, my glands felt icky and swollen afterwards, but in the morning I felt great). I'm currently wearing a pair of cutoffs I'm in the middle of customising. I thought about how relieving it was to get angry and clean the fuck out of the sister's shit - she was such a God damned hoarder! - and hey, I really like cleaning. And the thought of making more bath/beauty/home products makes me really excited. As does finalising the design of my shorts. And a few non-chemicals remedies I've mentioned to mum are things she's seriously considering - diatomaceous earth for one.

I'm a domestic person and I like it.

I also made these cutoffs on a whim. My legs are amazing (and currently covered in cat scratches thanks to Her Imperial Majesty), but I kept hiding them, so spur-of-the-moment-shorts. I like being able to walk around barefoot in shorts, and I want to take that feeling outside for a walk along the front.

I also admitted to myself that as much as I think that most religions and religious perspectives (theist, agnostic, spiritual, atheist etc. etc. etc.) are fine (the ones that aren't being those slightly creepy cults and things), and that I like that think that I'm tolerant of nearly everything . . . I sometimes find it deeply uncomfortable when people actually invoke God. Specifically the Christian God. I then thought more about why I find it uncomfortable when reading these blogs and sites and people say "Our bodies are a miracle given to us by God and we should respect and honour them" or similar things. It's certainly not because I'm a happy atheist I know that; I love reading religious works and actually attended two Christian (C of E) primary schools with hymn practices and two big religious events (and my first primary had an in-house vicar!) and one of my best friends is quite religious (oh, and you have nothing against black people, some of your friends are black right? :tongue:). Is it because it's mentioned so matter-of-factly? Possibly? But . . . well. A lot of these lifestyle-type sites are American based.

And I don't really get bothered when my relatives or friends do the religious thing. And yet . . . they don't seem as . . . fervent? No, that's not the right word. Sincere? No!

So am I prejudiced against the American perception of Christianity and how certain types of American Christians see the world?

Yes. But also a part of it has to do with the fact that these are strangers. I've read maybe a few articles of theirs talking about cheap recipes and alternatives for things and they throw in God because why? Religion, to me, has always seemed quite low-key or personal in the UK. No one I know really demonstrates their religious/non-religious nature; it took me a few months to find out that that best friend of mine was genuinely religious!

So here I am online, admitting that I'm prejudiced against certain types of American Christians, and certain invocations of religion or spirituality of any type. It's actually a bit of a relief to say that. Some of us believe in a deity or higher power, others don't; it's all good. Now to work on accepting the fact that to some people religion or spirituality is a core part of them and they actually do talk like that, sincerely, even to strangers and people they know probably don't agree with them.

But I got really sidetracked explaining the feelings and reasoning behind that.

The Life Quest I was so down about? ACTUALLY DID IT!

Because one of the things I kept coming back to when thinking was this: for as long as I could remember I've always wanted six children. Literally as long as I can remember. And when I was six or so I understood what adoption was. And since then I keep finding myself coming back to adoption. And it feels so right. I don't even know how to explain it, but the idea of me adopting feels right. I'm very good with children, and I've never liked the idea of sex. So it's decided. I'm going to adopt. Now to make sure that my application will be approved when I file it. I explained that to mum the other day, how much it means to me, that the thought of sex has always made me feel uncomfortable and that I can't even bare to watch it on TV/in film; that adoption feels so right. That some things they say hurt me, and her idea that one day I'll just want to have biological children myself is awful.

She understood. And apologised. And said she would love any child I had the raising of because it would be mine where it mattered the most.

And said she was proud of the fact that I told her these things, that I was honest and straightforward in discussing these things. And that she thought my compassion was wonderful. Also she was mostly proud of the way I've handled the Sister thing from start (waaaay back in August last year) to now. The angry cleaning and semi-searching through her stuff may have been mildly excessive, she just hadn't thought to say it until now because she assumed I know already.

+1 WIS, +1 CHA, +1 WIS (for how I made them proud).

This was going to be the hardest thing. The hardest thing. And I did it one day because I'd done some much thinking and was feeling so good about myself, so confident, that I was went and did it.

So while the rest of the challenge is basically scrapped, I'm still going to add those points (immediately after posting, along with twenty-five self-esteem points) and the rest of the challenge is going to be a casual version of my goals.

I'll actually be repeating this for the next challenge, though I'll need a new Life Quest.

The Casual Mulan (no points to be awarded)

- Resume T'ai Fu practice. Once weekly classes, practice two or three time a week total.

- Resume BBWW practice thrice weekly, incorporate something ABWWish into it.

- Eat more than one meal a day

- Work on sleep pattern

- Limit snacks

- Try at least one new recipe before the challenge is over. This only includes food.

- Finish my shorts and post a picture of them. Maybe while wearing them

Bonus:

- the deep duck stance is very similar to the bottom of a pistol squat. If I can do a shaky deep duck I can hold the bottom of a pistol squat unsupported.

There: exercise; food; something wise/esteem boosting; something life questy (the shorts).

• Like 1

Congratulations!  That life quest was the hardest thing you didn't know how to do and you did it :-)  You can do ANYTHING.  Not only that, but you pulled it out of a bad situation and made something good come of it. 

I gotta say, if the worst expression of your wrath was cleaning, she made out pretty well.

Being domestic by nature is pretty cool.  It's nice to be able to sort something out, or make something, or settle in and be creative with something for a bit and end up feeling better.  You should definitely post a pic of the shorts!

Holy geez, you've been busy!

I'm glad things are settled-ish with your sister.

Congratulations on deciding to become a parent! Adoption is so rewarding! Are you going to try to get siblings at all?

- Eat more than one meal a day

- Limit snacks

Could these two help each other out? EAt more than one meal by making your snacks more meal-y?

Congratulations!  That life quest was the hardest thing you didn't know how to do and you did it :-)  You can do ANYTHING.  Not only that, but you pulled it out of a bad situation and made something good come of it.

Yep! One could insert a quotation or reference to good coming even from - ehehehe. "The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all."

Boom! Mulan quote. From memory. :D

It also goes to show that honesty can be very good. If you hide your insecurities things can go really downhill, but if you're open about you're problems help can be found.

. .  .That, however, might be another trite thing to say. Shame it's true. Well, not a shame, help is good, but the phrasing perhaps could be better.

I gotta say, if the worst expression of your wrath was cleaning, she made out pretty well.

I can be really scathing at times, and I'm technically a pacificist (not a spelling mistake), so I really don't think that kind of thing is worth going to violence over. And when I'm feeling ruthless and I turn to cleaning I can get a lot done in a way that is safe for everyone involved. Including my mental health. I mean, I'm a good orator when I'm up to it, I can make people cry, and I have an acid tongue (not exactly a xenomorph, but close enough), so if I really let loose it hurts things.

Ha, I actually showed some restraint when it came to cleaning too. If I'd had my full way over half her things would be gone because they just gather dust. Really I cleaned out mouldy cups, dirty plates and utensils, over one full bin bag of fairly compressed rubbish, some tat, a box of never-worn underthings, a box of never-used electronics and an old, torn backpack. And a few more things.

See, her room is also technically 'mine', but I don't keep much in it outside of half a wall of books and a suitcase of clothes. And a laptop. I sleep in the room, nothing else. That was made perfectly clear when I moved in; she cleans after her own mess, I take care of mine. And as I make next-to-none, I do nothing. I really could have been a much more thorough cleaner than I was that day; but I'd made my point.

Being domestic by nature is pretty cool.  It's nice to be able to sort something out, or make something, or settle in and be creative with something for a bit and end up feeling better.  You should definitely post a pic of the shorts!

I will take many pics so you can see the progress! If I can find That Damn Camera. The project is slowly expanding however; in a discussion with Mum I mentioned wanting to personalise my shorts. And so many options came out of the woodwork - she really wants me to use fabric paints. Me though, I started thinking "The shorts are a little baggy around the legs, I made these to show off my legs, so let's take them in!" And this will be a lot of work as I'm handsewing and have never taken clothes in before, only up and taking down. And then I though, "Well, if I'm taking in the legs I might as well dart the waist as well to stop it falling down so much."

So I'm (going to try) darting the waist, taking in the legs, maybe actually sewing in a hem and doing some personalisation. With half a dozen needle sizes and two colours of thread to my name. This will be fun. Sincerely meant. I'm thinking being domestic isn't so bad if it means you can enjoy doing 'chores' and things.

Holy geez, you've been busy!

I'm glad things are settled-ish with your sister.

Sort-of busy, mostly tired and sleeping; but with periods of intense busying. And yep, come next month we're done with the Sister's educational issues. Unless she suddenly springs a uni application on us . . .

Congratulations on deciding to become a parent! Adoption is so rewarding! Are you going to try to get siblings at all?

It'll take a while; I want to have my own place and a job first to prove I can take care of them even though you don't need those things in the UK to adopt. But I'm going to be a parent one day! That's such a scary thought isn't it?

As to children? I know there are certain 'types' of children that aren't as preferred for prospective fostering/adoption; older children, the physically disabled and aneurotypical, siblings, children with . . . abusive histories and so on; I think I would prefer them. I don't particularly want a baby or a child under three or so, but ultimately I'd be happy with any child as long as they felt safe, happy and loved with me. And as I did mention always wanting six children, yes, siblings definitely appeal.

Oh sweet mother of God, I'm going to be a parent one day! Welp. I have my Epic Quest goal. Time to break it down into a series of Epic Life Quests. So: a good job, a place to stay with three or four bedrooms (assuming I'll straight up apply for siblings), become confident in skills needed to manage a home - taxes, bills, maintenance and cleaning. Maybe take a first aid course because those are just useful anyway. Weigh up the pros and cons of staying close to home versus moving away. Further qualifications. I know I want a PhD one day, but that costs a lot (and it requires a good Masters first). As do children. That's very future. For now: job. Job to earn money to do adulty/parenty things. Save all the money.

But I'm not scared. That's the thing. It's a bit of an adrenaline rush, but it's not scary.

Could these two help each other out? EAt more than one meal by making your snacks more meal-y?

It's currently what I'm thinking. I actually went and bought a  (half price) sandwich on the verge of going off (best before is tomorrow) so it'll make me eat it tomorrow even if I'm still so tired I go to bed immediately after lunch because I spent that pound, and I'm not going to waste it.

Now have a song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBbKcyo7yNk

• Like 1

Aww I've missed you my friend!! I'm so glad to see you back!! But I'm so happy to hear that so many good things are going on!!! Keep up the progress! I miss all your amazing posts!  :highly_amused:

Aww I've missed you my friend!! I'm so glad to see you back!! But I'm so happy to hear that so many good things are going on!!! Keep up the progress! I miss all your amazing posts!  :highly_amused:

Yes miss.

Check in time!

I ate three meals today! Isn't that nuts? And I woke at a nice(ish) time and spent . . . more time than I'm willing to admit cuddling with Puddles and listening to 'Grace For Sale' on repeat.

I also think I've decided on my pattern for the shorts: butterflies. I admit to being tempted to dot circles around (possibly leading up and away from the butterflies), but I don't know how wonky the circles would be and there's a chance of the shorts becoming overly busy. Still, we shall see.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, as an American Christian who quotes the scriptures in his sig, I'm... sympathetic to what you're saying. So much of our religious culture is about big shows of piety. The American Way is not to be quiet and reflective and sober and personal. It's live out loud, get in your face, make each other uncomfortable and see who blinks first.

Ironically, these shows of piety often strike me as being rather impious. Christianity is about a relationship, and about how that relationship changes your life. It's slow, steady, quiet - a small, unceasing voice that doesn't speak in words. Trying to shout out about the sacred like they do makes it seem to me like these people have a deeper insecurity about their faith that they're trying to cover up for in a game of social one-upsmanship, rather than being genuine.

Believe it or not, I actually started my fitness journey using a lot of the same rationale that these other folks do. I believe in my body as a gift, a thing to be stewarded and cared for. I didn't earn my arms and my legs, I did nothing to merit the benefit of a neurotypical mind, I was not owed a sense of taste or the ability to hear fine music. Yeah, it's not perfect: I'm kind of blind, and I've got a lot of hair on my back, but hell. It's not a perfect world.

Beyond that, I also used to believe that my body was a gift to my spouse. You know the passage in Ephesians, where it talks about how wives are supposed to submit to their husbands? Most of us tend to stop there, but the next verse says that husbands are supposed to submit to their wives. It seemed to me, in those days, that if I was gonna marry a girl and she was able to put up with me, she'd be pretty damn special. I figured, the least I could do was give her something pretty to look at.

So... yeah. As your GL for this challenge, I sincerely hope I don't make you uncomfortable. The call that is on my life is to be an ambassador for a kingdom that nobody's ever seen, that some days I'm not even sure exists. The way I figure, that means chiming in from time to time and encouraging you where I can.

It is my hope that this has been my record toward you, and that you keep on being awesome with us here. :)

For what it's worth, as an American Christian who quotes the scriptures in his sig, I'm... sympathetic to what you're saying. So much of our religious culture is about big shows of piety. The American Way is not to be quiet and reflective and sober and personal. It's live out loud, get in your face, make each other uncomfortable and see who blinks first.

Ironically, these shows of piety often strike me as being rather impious. Christianity is about a relationship, and about how that relationship changes your life. It's slow, steady, quiet - a small, unceasing voice that doesn't speak in words. Trying to shout out about the sacred like they do makes it seem to me like these people have a deeper insecurity about their faith that they're trying to cover up for in a game of social one-upsmanship, rather than being genuine.

Believe it or not, I actually started my fitness journey using a lot of the same rationale that these other folks do. I believe in my body as a gift, a thing to be stewarded and cared for. I didn't earn my arms and my legs, I did nothing to merit the benefit of a neurotypical mind, I was not owed a sense of taste or the ability to hear fine music. Yeah, it's not perfect: I'm kind of blind, and I've got a lot of hair on my back, but hell. It's not a perfect world.

Beyond that, I also used to believe that my body was a gift to my spouse. You know the passage in Ephesians, where it talks about how wives are supposed to submit to their husbands? Most of us tend to stop there, but the next verse says that husbands are supposed to submit to their wives. It seemed to me, in those days, that if I was gonna marry a girl and she was able to put up with me, she'd be pretty damn special. I figured, the least I could do was give her something pretty to look at.

So... yeah. As your GL for this challenge, I sincerely hope I don't make you uncomfortable. The call that is on my life is to be an ambassador for a kingdom that nobody's ever seen, that some days I'm not even sure exists. The way I figure, that means chiming in from time to time and encouraging you where I can.

It is my hope that this has been my record toward you, and that you keep on being awesome with us here. :)

For what it's worth, as a British atheist who quotes Piers Plowman (a C14th narrative poem concerning the narrator's quest for the true Christian life (from the natural perspective of a medieval Catholic) that is both a theological allegory and a social satire) I'm also sympathetic to what you're saying. Americans in general are usually typified as big (not physically, but as a presence), gregarious sorts who do big things, are often gregarious and can sometimes be a little overbearing. And maybe a little ignorant (though the last two things can be said of any culture or place). It makes sense that their various religious/spiritual beliefs would follow suit, especially when it comes to Christianity.

There are many, many quotes concerning not evangelising a belief or idea of any sort, dating back to several key religious figures. Naturally, I can't recall any of them right now, but this quote from Thomas Jefferson always felt like a good idea: "I never told my own religion nor scrutinised that of another. I never attempted to make a convert, nor wished to change another's creed [...I]t is in our lives, and not from our words, that our religion must be judged." Or morality as the case may be.

Though I have to admit, I do like a bit of pomp and circumstance when it comes to religion - if I had to pick one it would be Catholicism, Hinduism, or some amalgamation of the pair - that's when it comes to ceremonies and festivals and it conveys an emotion. These shows of piety that makes us both uneasy (though perhaps for different reasons) sometimes strike me almost as piety for piety's sake; or sometimes being too fervent, too eager. And hey, religions/spiritualities/beliefs have helped humanity create many great, beautiful wonders. And to quote Ollivander, they've also lead to "great, but terrible" things too. Mixed bags all around then.

Regardless, you certainly shouldn't be apologising for anything. You personally have never made me feel uncomfortable; no one on this board ever has. When I read people's threads I come to know them as a person, to understand their goals, struggles and just . . . who they are. It's why I love the internet; I have friends in the Phillipines and Australia and Mexico and America and Sweden, Findland, the UK and so many places! Distance is no longer a barrier to coming to know someone, and if that person happens to be sincerely religious and doesn't say, for example, 'God put us here on this earth to do good things and exalt him' simply to try to convert someone, but because it's something they strongly believe than I can handle it. I don't know if I'll ever truly come to understand that position, but I can handle it, I can sympathise, and hey, they probably feel the same way about some aspect of me too.

And besides, I admitted to a slight prejudice that I can now work to overcome. Prejudice is wrong. Full stop. It's something I believe very strongly (except when it comes to fictional characters whom I can hate unreservedly with no attempt to try to understand them quite happily), so I need to get over it.

After all, many of my favourite works of literature (or art in general) have been inspired by a religion (usually Christianity); I actually own quite a few books written about, or discussing, various aspects of Christianity. Mostly pre-1700 mind. If I can handle the likes of Christians espousing things that are now considered culturally/morally/ethically wrong (or just plain wrong), I can work to understand and get over my own prejudice.

I'm at fault, I probably made several people reading this feel upset or uncomfortable - including you - don't be sorry for my faults.

Honestly, I've read works where people have discussed the . . . non-Roman Catholic white people of Europe in terms that would make one blanch. And they believed it. If I can handle that I can get over this.

And well, to quote the Angelic Doctor, "Because of the diverse conditions of humans, it happens that some acts are virtuous to some people, as appropriate and suitable to them, while the same acts are immoral for others, as inappropriate to them." Diversity is a brilliant, wonderful thing, and I don't want anyone to feel like they have to apologise for not being 'normal' or 'the same as everyone else'. Whichever way you choose to explain it, humanity is a joyous miracle, and we should celebrate our infinite diversity in infinite combinations. We'll certainly never come to understand one another if we don't try.

Unless you're Rose Tyler from Doctor Who or Joffrey Lannister, in which case you can die in all the fires.

Kishi, you're awesome because you're Kishi; no one else could ever be you. Even being a little bit blind with a hairy back and your ongoing quest for a painless knee and all the other things you don't like about yourself. There'll never be another being exactly like you. Love yourself, improve yourself, and never feel like you have to apologise for being you. Unless you actually did something wrong like knock an innocent old lady's shopping trolley over one day while in a rush, in which case, an apology is probably needed.

But you're still a kickass guild leader, and I'm definitely coming back here. I'm going to be a guild hopping menace.

Now: if I have made anyone reading this feel uncomfortable themselves, or made them feel the slightest bit upset for being the way they are, you have my apology.

How did you know about that time with little old lady? No discomfort at all. Glad we're cool. :)

Wow!!! You really did an amazing job with that life quest! :D You have grown a lot in your short time being here and I love seeing all the good things! I wish you the best of luck with your future parenting plans, they are admirable :)

Oh sweet mother of God, I'm going to be a parent one day! Welp. I have my Epic Quest goal. Time to break it down into a series of Epic Life Quests. So: a good job, a place to stay with three or four bedrooms (assuming I'll straight up apply for siblings), become confident in skills needed to manage a home - taxes, bills, maintenance and cleaning. Maybe take a first aid course because those are just useful anyway. Weigh up the pros and cons of staying close to home versus moving away. Further qualifications. I know I want a PhD one day, but that costs a lot (and it requires a good Masters first). As do children. That's very future. For now: job. Job to earn money to do adulty/parenty things. Save all the money.

But I'm not scared. That's the thing. It's a bit of an adrenaline rush, but it's not scary.

Yeah!! :D One thing I learned after becoming a parent: no matter how much preparation you do, you're never going to be completely ready. You figure out a lot of it as you go, and that's ok.

That song! Wow!

• Like 2

How did you know about that time with little old lady? No discomfort at all. Glad we're cool. :)

I have eyes everywhere.

I've found a clearing of the air, even a pre-emptive one, is usually a good thing. Even if it's couched in digressions, vagueish terms and potentially unclear syntax.

Cool is definitely a good thing. I've even found myself preferring actively cold showers now.

I blame Monks. Or rather, I thank them.

Wow!!! You really did an amazing job with that life quest! :D You have grown a lot in your short time being here and I love seeing all the good things! I wish you the best of luck with your future parenting plans, they are admirable :)

I was wearing a bravery hat. :D

I can certainly see progress on the all-'round mental front, and some on the strength-and-agility front, now to just keep plugging until I see things on the physical-appearance front.

Thanks for the luck! I'm really going to need it as this is going to be quite a long road. At least I've decided on a good place to which I can relocate - a combination of better job prospects, amenities, public transport and so on. Going to be a bit expensive. Understatement. So we're back to the old 'get a job and save lots of money' thing. Or Win the Lottery.

Yeah!! :D One thing I learned after becoming a parent: no matter how much preparation you do, you're never going to be completely ready. You figure out a lot of it as you go, and that's ok.

That song! Wow!

Nope, but I have a good imagination and my family on its own can comprise a small hamlet, so I quite literally have a village to help prepare for certain things.

Fact: I downloaded that song (or the soundtrack version) to my mp3 on the eighth. As of seven minutes past nine this evening (literally as I type) I have listened to it one hundred and thirty-seven times. On the mp3. And maybe a dozen times online.

>.>

Stupid Terrance Zdunich with his sexy bass voice.

I wish I could actually recommend The Devil's Carnival to you, but I've never seen it in its entirety, though it's supposedly on Netflix. And it only had a limited DVD release. *pouts*

But if you liked the song I highly recommend you watch Repo! The Genetic Opera with the proviso that it has a lot of blood, guts and gore. And some initially puzzling casting choices. And some amazing songs. Probably not for everyone though.

You know, people comment on my DVD collection being rather strange, something I deny until I actually go and look through it: RENT, Mirrormask, Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, Repo!, Dogma, Hot Fuzz, Paul, Shaun of the Dead, Pan's Labyrinth, Mulan (and its sequel which isn't that bad), Tangled, Game of Thrones, Sherlock seasons one and two; Cadfael; a score or so Classic Who serials, all the Python films, all of Star Trek: TOS (and TAS), Cardcaptor Sakura, a handful of horror films, Omkara and one or two . . . rom-coms. And things I can't remember.

And well. they have a point. Most of my DVDs are semi-subversive in some fashion, surreal in terms of plot, imagery or theme, a good number of them are dark in presentation, imagery, theme etc.; religious murder/mysteries, there's some 'cerebral'/psychological/'come on now, think and use your brain' things in there . . . and sixties and seventies TV sci-fi, Which can be all of these at once. Minus the beautiful animation seen in my cartoon collection. And some of the production values.

Really, most of my stuff is beautiful and strange.

So . . . if you like the beautiful and strange, pick virtually anything I've listed. Honestly, just looking at this makes me realise that I'm a straight up aesthetic. There are worse things to be.

On the aesthetics side of things: put my cutoffs through the wash to see how they wore; I have a nice fringe of loosened threads on the shorts now. Next step: find some pins and start pinning. And find That Damn Camera (TDC).

On the improvements side of things: the dog has been severely infested with fleas (again), and thanks to endless reading of lifestyle/non-chemical/homemade bloggy things I suggested diatomaceous earth to Mum on account of it being cheap, less likely to aggravate various breathing issues the family has (the Sister had very severe bronchial asthma as a toddler that has basically healed, but we like to be careful during summer because of hay fever) and also non-toxic to everyone involved. And easily reappliable for a long time. Cheaply

She then mentioned it to Dad. Who, being a bit of a cheapskate, but also not so keen on home remedies was interested enough to Google it. After swearing about not being able to pronounce (on Mum's part) or spell (on both their parts) they Googled it, and now we have a small stock of seashell earth as I've started calling it being delivered.

Seriously, when you need to pause and take a mental run up to a word to be able to say it you know it's either Seriously Scientific or someone's just likes being mean.

But look! Natural things. Things that aren't going to upset the Puddles' auto-immune disease, or make the dog feel icky. Or the family. And no smell.

See me being persuasive, forward thinking and rolling high on Charisma.

Also I ate three meals today, two of which were both Paeleo and gluten-free. By accident.

• Like 1

I wish I could actually recommend The Devil's Carnival to you, but I've never seen it in its entirety, though it's supposedly on Netflix. And it only had a limited DVD release. *pouts*

But if you liked the song I highly recommend you watch Repo! The Genetic Opera with the proviso that it has a lot of blood, guts and gore. And some initially puzzling casting choices. And some amazing songs. Probably not for everyone though.

You know, people comment on my DVD collection being rather strange, something I deny until I actually go and look through it: RENT, Mirrormask, Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, Repo!, Dogma, Hot Fuzz, Paul, Shaun of the Dead, Pan's Labyrinth, Mulan (and its sequel which isn't that bad), Tangled, Game of Thrones, Sherlock seasons one and two; Cadfael; a score or so Classic Who serials, all the Python films, all of Star Trek: TOS (and TAS), Cardcaptor Sakura, a handful of horror films, Omkara and one or two . . . rom-coms. And things I can't remember.

And well. they have a point. Most of my DVDs are semi-subversive in some fashion, surreal in terms of plot, imagery or theme, a good number of them are dark in presentation, imagery, theme etc.; religious murder/mysteries, there's some 'cerebral'/psychological/'come on now, think and use your brain' things in there . . . and sixties and seventies TV sci-fi, Which can be all of these at once. Minus the beautiful animation seen in my cartoon collection. And some of the production values.

Really, most of my stuff is beautiful and strange.

So . . . if you like the beautiful and strange, pick virtually anything I've listed. Honestly, just looking at this makes me realise that I'm a straight up aesthetic. There are worse things to be.

I really wanted to like Repo! but I just ... didn't. Maybe it was overblown in my mind because so many people I know were gushing about it.

I actually own nearly all of the titles you mentioned. :D How about Hellboy and Hellboy 2? (H2 was how Spiderwick should have been, IMO.) City of Lost Children? Brazil? 12 Monkeys and The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus? Even the new Judge Dredd or Blade Runner or of course The Fifth Element? Perfect Blue for anime and Pi for seriously messed up movies? OHohoh! Dark City? Memento and Mullholland Drive and even Minority Report!

Er, I'll stop now. :)

Fingers crossed that the powdered seashell helps with the fleas. :D

I really wanted to like Repo! but I just ... didn't. Maybe it was overblown in my mind because so many people I know were gushing about it.

Hype backlash: it happens. It's how I feel about the Harry Potter series in general. And probably a few other films/serieseseses too.

I actually own nearly all of the titles you mentioned. :D How about Hellboy and Hellboy 2? (H2 was how Spiderwick should have been, IMO.) City of Lost Children? Brazil? 12 Monkeys and The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus? Even the new Judge Dredd or Blade Runner or of course The Fifth Element? Perfect Blue for anime and Pi for seriously messed up movies? OHohoh! Dark City? Memento and Mullholland Drive and even Minority Report!

Er, I'll stop now. :)

DVD buddies! The family owns the Hellboy DVDs, and Spiderwick. And the new and old Judge Dredds. And The Fifth Element. I only count as mine the DVDs bought specifically for me, be it by me or anyone else. If it's for the family or for someone else, maybe I'll snitch them when I move out providing I'm the only person who really watches them.

Brazil has been on my wishlist for a while, I'm not overly keen on Imaginarium (hype backlash). A sibling has Deeper Than Black and Perfect Blue (I think; I had colour themes for people's presents that year) - on the note of seriously messed up movies (that also happen to be anime): Paprika. I have no idea what was going on, but it was vivid and beautiful and strange.

Minority Report I found dull, I think I saw a bit of Memento when I was younger and wasn't interested in it. Pi I've only heard of in passing, but it sounds extremely interesting. I adore psychological horror - have you ever seen the original The Haunting?! It is the only film I had to pause whilst watching and go downstiars to seek company while I calmed down. - so I'll buy Pi if it's cheap on amazon. Mmmm, £2.60 including p&p.

Never heard of Dark City though, is't good?

Oh! I have my own boxsets of Blackadder and Red Dwarf, but that's basically mainstream. And so are my comic book movies. Isn't it amazing that comic book films and the like are becoming more and more popular? As far as anime goes: Puella Magi Magica Madoka, Kanon, anything Studio Ghibli, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Cowboy Bebop, Serial Experiment Lain, Higurashi, Bleach up to about episode fifty or so - the conclusion of the first arc in Soul Society, anything CLAMP, Ouran High School Host Club, Ghost Hunt (this came so close to me stopping it out of terror at one point, but so far The Haunting is still the only thing to hold that record), Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Vision of Escaflowne, Tengen Toppa etc.  and a lot more. Not that I own them all.

. . . You know, I think for every film/thing I own that is predominantly live action I own one that is animated or mostly not-live (predominantly puppets/stop motion/CGI be it entirely or in background) - OH! I forgot The Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride and Coraline! I own all of those. And The Highlander and Flash Gordan.

Also: I feel I need to point out the recurring writers/directors/etc in my colletion: Neil Gaiman, the Pythons, Guillermo del Torro, Ridley Scott, Queen. And Doctor Who. Because if you're in any way involved in acting in the UK (in any way, including script writing, editing, acting, costumes and so on) you have either been involved with Doctor Who OR you know someone who has. I can prove it. If you want to look, that is.

Blackadder. Rowan Atkinson. Also played the Doctor in 'THe Curse of the Fatal Death'

Dogman: Alan Rickman played the Metatron. Also Acted in the Harry Potter films alongside Michael Gambon, who played AU!Scrooge in 'The Christmas Carol'.

Monty Python: one of whom is John Cleese. Had a cameo in 'City of Death'.

Cadfael: starring Derek Jacobi. Has played the Doctor and the Master.

Corpse Bride: Cast include Joanna Lumley who once played the Doctor in 'The Curse of the Fatal Death'. Also starred Deep Roy who played Mr. Sin in 'The Talons of Weng-Chiang' and as the Possican Delegate in 'Trial of A Time Lord'. Also starred Richard E. Grant who played Dr. Simeon/spoilers.

The Nightmare Before Christmas: Danny Elfman. Composed for Corpse Bride. See Corpse Bride for more details.

Hellboy: John Hurt. Also played a reincarnation of the Doctor.

Repo!: starring Anthony Stewart Head. Also starred as a Big Bag in 'School Reunion'.

The Dark Crystal: Deep Roy is credited as an additional performer. Was in 'The Talons and Weng-Chiang'.

Hot Fuzz: starring Bill Nighy who appeared in 'Vincent and the Doctor'. Also stars Simon Pegg who was a Big Bad in . . . that episode where all television is evil in a thinly veiled satire television.

Labyrinth: David Bowie. Is referenced very openly in 'The Waters of Mars' for obvious reasons. And 'Starman' (the song) was played in 'Aliens of London. Now, this is where it gets complicated. Gave Goelz was a puppeteer; he was also the voice of Gonzo in A Muppet's Christmas Carol alongside Michael Caine. Michael Caine starred in a film called Gambit with Alan Rickman in 1966. Alan Rickman -> Michael Gambon.

Or, alternatively: Danny John-Jules (a Firey) -> Maid Marian and Her Merry Men, starring alongside Tony Robinson. Tony Robinson was in Blackadder. Rowan Atkinson etc. etc. Or, alternatively: 'Dimensions in Time' was filmed at Elstree. This studio was also used for filming Labyrinth.

Mirrormask: written by Neil Gaiman. Also wrote two episodes of Doctor Who.

Brazil: the pet project of a Python. John Cleese was also a Python. And was a cameo in Doctor Who.

The Fifth Element: at least partially filmed at Pinewood Studios and therefore is related to Doctor Who because virtually every single film or show produced in the UK has been filmed there. Or partially there.

Pan's Labyrinth: Guillermo del Toro's baby. Is now working alongside Steven Thompson (writer for Doctor Who and Sherlock) to develop Naoki Urusawa's Monster for HBO. Alternatively: also starred Doug Jones as the Faun. Also starred in Hellboy with John Hurt.

Bleach: Kyle Herbert played Aizen in the English dub. Also voiced a character in Jay and Silent Bob's Super Groovy Cartoon Movie. Written by Kevin Smith. Also wrote Dogma. Alan Rickman. Alternatively: Kyle Herbert played Aizen. Also voice a character in Jay and Silent Bob. Neil Gaiman voiced a character in that film too. Alternatively: Vic Mignoga played Ikkaku Madarame. Vic Mignoga voices Vaylor in Doctor Who Online Adventures.

I'm really not trying either - except for one or two of those.

Fingers crossed that the powdered seashell helps with the fleas. :D

If it hasn't, it's still food grade seashell mud and can probably be used elsewhere in the house. And if not, it was only £8 or so.

Having a long term plan will help to align everything else along the way :-)

Nice collection!  Good luck with the fleas, that's never fun.

Having a long term plan will help to align everything else along the way :-)

Plans make the impossible/implausible far more likely to actually happen. Now to refine it, and stick to it.

Nice collection!  Good luck with the fleas, that's never fun.

DVDs and books are great because you pay a one-off cost and can reread and rewatch them again and again. Not to mention they look quite impressive arrayed against a wall.

Yeah, fleas. Stupid warm weather (and warm, damp weather) making all the bugs and undesirable-indoors creatures wake up and start getting active. Luckily I seem naturally flea repellent as for every major flea outbreak we have (formerly one pet, then no pets, then one pet, then very quickly two pets, then three, then four. Then four pets down to three, now two) I only get two or three bites.

This from a cat who now sleeps on my pillow with me (rather, she permits me to sleep on 'her' pillow), sleeps on my clothes and my lap and boobs and a puppy (not really) who has monstrously thick, super-sheddy fur. No, seriously. We hoovered the entire downstairs two days ago and today it looks as if we haven't hoovered in a fortnight.

So seashell mud.

Update time:

T'ai Chi tonight! Felt like I had to work my way into T'ai Fu slowly, so next week it's Kung Fu too. Actually lead two people in the Dance as opposed to just showing someone what to do in partner work. The guy who was leading it had been absent for the better part of the year, so he was a little shaky meaning that I kind of, was asked to step in and do things. A bit shaky on a few things, but overall I think I did pretty well. Between to two of us we managed to do fine.

But a leadership role! Panic! And then overcome.

And some other stuff in partner work.

But it's surprising how even a few weeks of missed practice can affect one's muscles and things; I had a little trouble remembering some of the Dance and oh Lord were my thighs caning at one point.

What else? Ate three meals and several snacks because of my graze box. One of the meals was even Paeleo and gluten-free, the other was just Paeleo.

Am considering going to a student-run salon to get some things done. Hair, nails, massage; something like that. Maybe a combination because they have specials offers on top of being really quite cheap. Maybe a cut and finish so I can get my hair trimmed up a little shorter or something. Self-love right? And admittedly curiosity because they have these things like 'body contour treatment' and 'full body massage' and 'lymphatic drainage facial' and all sorts of strange, mysterious words.

Plus it's really cheap.

DVD buddies!

Never heard of Dark City though, is't good?

We seem to have really similar taste It's been ages since I saw Dark City but I remember really enjoying it. I want to watch it again. That and Equilibrium. I like dystopian stuff.

Oooh yes, treat yourself to something nice. I like the student learning places for the prices, but the quality isn't always fantastic.

tumblr_me2gt3gl061qltqg1.gif

Go for it!  Sounds like fun and it certainly is self care or possibly a reward for nailing your life goal?

Time to take notes and spend a while on the phone asking what certain things are, the difference between levels two and three (I'm assuming experience . . . ) and seeing if I can get it all done in one day.

We seem to have really similar taste It's been ages since I saw Dark City but I remember really enjoying it. I want to watch it again. That and Equilibrium. I like dystopian stuff.

Oooh yes, treat yourself to something nice. I like the student learning places for the prices, but the quality isn't always fantastic.

tumblr_me2gt3gl061qltqg1.gif

I'm not usually one for dystopias, in fact, I tend to dislike them, but occasionally there's an exception.

As for student work: I don't care if my nails aren't perfect, or if the masseuse isn't as confident or precise as they're meant to be. And my hair, well, it's short enough that I don't think anything major can go wrong with it as long as they pay attention to what I say about the front. And besides, even professionals can screw up badly, at least the students will be supervised.

Also: where's that gif from? I feel like I should recognise it.

Ooh, Dark City is a good one, though. Noir Sci-fi. Bit of a cult-classic.

Sounds right up my alley then; most of my collection comprises of cult classics, sci-fi or sci-fi cult classics. :P

And I did just read a basic plot synopsis for the film on TVTropes, so the film does sound like something I'd enjoy. A little tale of a dark, dystopian future city-of-endless-night, amnesiac heroes and Pale Men in Dark Coats.

Quick update:

Brekkie: two handfuls of 'coco pops'.

Lunch: nope.

A big blowup involving the Youngest Brother and Mum about the new hoover (he hates it and has threatened to destroy it) later and I ditch the house and go outside. I need to pick up my meds anyway. So I go grab a nice tub of homemade ice cream with clotted cream, a flake and wafers (I can even tell you the street it's made on, how it's made (mostly) and where the ingredients come from), pick up the meds and spend a nice barefoot slightly-over-an-hour down on the sea wall eating my ice cream, listening to music and just relaxing, people watching and enjoying the stunning view.

Then I walked back barefoot. Little bit sore on the ball of my right foot, but other than that I found it quite nice. The roads and paths aren't well maintained around here so there were lots of spiky stones/gravel around, so I stopped now and then to scrape some bits off, but it was nice.

Dinner: >.> I kind of didn't eat it. At all. But I did have ~100g of live strawberry yoghurt! And am going to buy something to eat after this post has been made. But I've had my pills, stayed mostly cool throughout the blow up - mostly by jamming in headphones, turning the volume up to max and ignoring it, but I stayed calm.

The weather was gorgeous today though, it's true what they say about getting a nice hour of sunshine, warmth and a slight balmy breeze. I feel great!

Although some mysterious blood has appeared on my hand, and I'm not sure from where.

No matter. I have also laid in some tea tree oil for preparatory purposes.

Still no camera. :(

• Like 1

Yes! Barefoot walking for the win! I approve of this.

Also, glad to hear that things worked out okay for you, ie getting your meds and keeping your calm. Glad for victories.

Avoiding household blowouts between family members is a good tactic. Glad you kept your calm and had a nice walk and ice cream instead.  The ice cream sounds delicious.

• Like 1

Yes! Barefoot walking for the win! I approve of this.

Also, glad to hear that things worked out okay for you, ie getting your meds and keeping your calm. Glad for victories.

Barefoot walking! First time outdoors and it was very nice, even though it was on fairly inhospitable terrain. The route I took home involved walking past alley entrances littered with broken glass and splintered wood (DIY projects and things being knocked out of bins by enterprisingly stupid cats). Because clearly when you start walking around barefoot you choose to walk as close to that sort of thing as possible without actually stepping in it. Still good! Likely foolish, but good.

I was a smart bunny and I ordered my meds in advance last week so that I could literally walk down to the pharmacy when I used the last of that particular pill. Sometimes I forget. For a week or two.

The calm thing was good though! Nothing like a balmy breeze and some good music. Though last night I somehow managed to damage the wire on my headphones so I'm only getting monosound. :/ On the plus side the new headphones arrive tomorrow! Along with a new Doctor Who boxset because I wanted to get an add-on item and needed over a tenner's worth of stuff to get it. So Doctor Who because when you want something for £3.44 you automatically buy something for £14.99 for the privilege of buying the cheaper item. 

Avoiding household blowouts between family members is a good tactic. Glad you kept your calm and had a nice walk and ice cream instead.  The ice cream sounds delicious.

It was. And as for the ice cream, you want a partial ingredients list? 'Course, it's actually a secret recipe, but the obvious things are obvious.

Full fat milk from local, free range farms.

Clotted cream from local, free range farms.

Vanilla extract.

Pinch of salt.

Eggs (probably)..

Sugar

And clotted cream on top if you fancy it. Every warm day the queue is always out the door. And because they only make one or two big tubs at a time there have been times when the shop runs out of ice cream in the middle of the day and they have to get someone to bring a fresh tub down the hill from where it's made or close up early for the day. It's won awards.

Definitely more preferable to a family blow out. By a solid mile.

Anyway, weird thing of the day: the Youngest Brother loves his Lush stuff (I'd say I blame myself, but I'm not blaming any of us for liking the shop), but Coolaulin is no longer being made in the UK, so we browsed through the conditioners they do do online, picked out a new conditioner to try, a body scrub and wrote them down to note down monies. On my hand. In blue biro. Like I always do.

And promptly had an allergic reaction to the ink. I mean thick, red, raised lines and itchiness. Good thing we keep E45 on the table in the front room, because within two minutes of putting the ink on my hand it had visibly swollen so that my mother could make out the lines in a dimly lit room. About half an hour later and the redness is gone and the raised lines are barely legible. There is still some residual pain, though I'm not sure if it's from the reaction or from the furious scrubbing off of ink.

Also: where's that gif from? I feel like I should recognise it.

I believe it's from Parks and Rec, though I first found it on Tumblr (and don't watch the show).

Mmm homemade ice cream. MMMM clotted cream. Now I'm hungry.